[1.1.0][JamPacked (the first one and the best one)] Hardcore Testing Mode: Golem Factory

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
Righto, I have decided that now it is finally time to let you loose on the map and start making things. It's still not complete however it should definitely be playable, so I would like feedback on whether quests should give you more or less money, or if other things need altering.

So far the last quest is where you make enderium, so that should give you an idea of scale.

Tyqae

Jul 29, 2019
First off I love the pack design and the factory building itself, very well done. Now on to comments!

So while staring at my furnace smelting iron, I decided to flip through the book a bit. In terms of things to add from Thaumcraft, if you want any ideas, I thought of the alchemical centrifuge. Considering you have the two lamps (growth and fertility) and the essense jars required as puchase-ables, does progression follow to include the ability to fill those jars yourself? (Similar to being able to make chests to sell back) Really I just love the look, function, and sound of the centrifuge, and it's very industrial as a concept...

Off the top of my head I know the herba (growth) jar can be worked out by trees and I believe life (fertility) can be worked by eggs...wheat?...both? I forget. A problem is you'd need the alchemical furnace as well to break down whatever into essence (And jars! but really this should be after you have bought jars and used them). But as far as TC goes, alchemy is fairly non-magical to the point of appearing industrial. Especially if you think of it as you already sell the jars and lamps anyway and this just allows production (and selling?) of them yourself. Also, this is a golem factory, and a golem's basic thaum job is the alchemical furnace (since no one wants to work with those icky glitchy pipes :p), I was thinking this would work for a later game TC inclusion, just a thought.

Also, while writing this a thunderstorm happened, and I've decided to consider endermen as theives (ninjas) and am pondering how to kill them without death... I have other ideas/comments, but I need to focus on my 'factory' first! *Runs into office to hide*

Last edited:

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
First off I love the pack design and the factory building itself, very well done. Now on to comments!

So while staring at my furnace smelting iron, I decided to flip through the book a bit. In terms of things to add from Thaumcraft, if you want any ideas, I thought of the alchemical centrifuge. Considering you have the two lamps (growth and fertility) and the essense jars required as puchase-ables, does progression follow to include the ability to fill those jars yourself? (Similar to being able to make chests to sell back) Really I just love the look, function, and sound of the centrifuge, and it's very industrial as a concept...

Off the top of my head I know the herba (growth) jar can be worked out by trees and I believe life (fertility) can be worked by eggs...wheat?...both? I forget. A problem is you'd need the alchemical furnace as well to break down whatever into essence (And jars! but really this should be after you have bought jars and used them). But as far as TC goes, alchemy is fairly non-magical to the point of appearing industrial. Especially if you think of it as you already sell the jars and lamps anyway and this just allows production (and selling?) of them yourself. Also, this is a golem factory, and a golem's basic thaum job is the alchemical furnace (since no one wants to work with those icky glitchy pipes :p), I was thinking this would work for a later game TC inclusion, just a thought.

Also, while writing this a thunderstorm happened, and I've decided to consider endermen as theives (ninjas) and am pondering how to kill them without death... I have other ideas/comments, but I need to focus on my 'factory' first! *Runs into office to hide*

Actually... That is an interesting proposition, using the alchemical furnaces to get essentia might work, I just need some way to fluff it in as an industrial project. Possibly as manufacturing 'chemicals'... I love it! I do try to make my map thematically consistent, even if it's a different style to most others.

However I still think it's going to be a bit weird trying to sort out golems pathfinding through the gate blocks, since I've heard tha golems can't pathfind through them. Then there's powering the furnaces, but then again I do sell you coal. I'll try to figure out how to impliment that, sure.

Also, you're meant to be on peaceful :p

chromo1418

Jul 29, 2019
I seem to have a problem with some of those quests in the shipmentpart as they seem to properly reseting for me. Every time before the resettimer goes down to 0 it jumps back up to a random number of time. The only working ones are the instantly repeatable ones.

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
I seem to have a problem with some of those quests in the shipmentpart as they seem to properly reseting for me. Every time before the resettimer goes down to 0 it jumps back up to a random number of time. The only working ones are the instantly repeatable ones.
Can you give me a bit more detail? So far, when the quests' cooldown are about to expire, they then randomly get more time added to the cooldown? Is that what you're saying?

Tyqae

Jul 29, 2019
Actually... That is an interesting proposition, using the alchemical furnaces to get essentia might work, I just need some way to fluff it in as an industrial project. Possibly as manufacturing 'chemicals'... I love it! I do try to make my map thematically consistent, even if it's a different style to most others.

However I still think it's going to be a bit weird trying to sort out golems pathfinding through the gate blocks, since I've heard tha golems can't pathfind through them. Then there's powering the furnaces, but then again I do sell you coal. I'll try to figure out how to impliment that, sure.

Also, you're meant to be on peaceful :p

*Warning, babble ramble ahead. Guess I need to take more breaks and comment more often*

Pft, peaceful!? I mean food is already almost irrelevant , the random ninja army that appears is something threatening at least! Speaking of which, the extra life we get from the one quest...is that a joke or meant to be used? Since I see HQ isn't on I couldn't..eat..it.. >_>

Other comments. Having played TC quite extensively I will admit I have no idea the speed or carrying capacity of any golem beyond straw. So I was trying to think of a way to have like an employee stat sheet/book. Either a seperate book having a page for each golem & core's stats, or maybe fluffing the HQM book itself a bit? If nothing else I'll stop being lazy and eventually make like signs on the wall stating the basics. Just a thought so you can buy the proper golem (since really just carry size and speed matter without other upgrades).

My other...comment..is with the placement of the pulverizer. I figure it's probably too much work to ask you to flip them, so the first upgrade is closer to the furnace than its current placement but that would be amazing... I have an entire argument thought up if you want to hear it or if it might help persuade you. But as it, it's dealable, but a pain :p On the notes of pains, is the cyan clay required to be there? I find my derpy golem hopping on the corner of one moving from the pulverizer to the chest I placed somewhat between it and the furnace location. I may just break that block by hand if it doesn't need to be there, though I fear it may for the gate thingy (that I totally didn't 'see' was there until I placed a tin ore because of it >_< )

If you want help or suggestions or something for the alchemy I'd be glad to. Part of my rationale for it's balance was what you said, only the centrifuge itself is 'free' power/fuel, the furnace needs something burnable (alumentum, coal, blazerods, charcoal) so you'd have to manage more resources if you want to produce the 'chemicals'. Plus you'll have less jar overflow to deal with. (As a suggestion before you answer if you want any, the void jars will be very useful if you do try to implement anything with the essentia line). I'm trying to get into the animal/tree upgrades to see how you did them so I can make suggestions on the alchemy part, since as is I don't know how you worked those into a warehouse/factory :p

Tyqae

Jul 29, 2019
Can you give me a bit more detail? So far, when the quests' cooldown are about to expire, they then randomly get more time added to the cooldown? Is that what you're saying?

*Sorry for the double, didn't really pay attention to the other reply before I posted. How do I merge...?*

I know what he means, but it is hard to explain. For some reason, the quests with timers before repeating (the shipments besides the first iron) seem to countdown odd. They properly countdown actual ingame time, but their display for how much time is left isn't always (if ever) accurate. The iron utility one (10 day countdown) was showing like 3 days left well under 2 days of being completed for a while, then jumped up to 6 days. I don't think there's anything you can do, it just seems buggy for some reason. I have not slept in game and this is while still playing after submitting a quest too so I'm not sure what it is.

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
Alright it really is just a weird display of the remaining time. The quest itself got reseted. :)

Ah, that's good to hear. Maybe they were trying to implement time in hours and minutes?

*Warning, babble ramble ahead. Guess I need to take more breaks and comment more often*

Pft, peaceful!? I mean food is already almost irrelevant , the random ninja army that appears is something threatening at least! Speaking of which, the extra life we get from the one quest...is that a joke or meant to be used? Since I see HQ isn't on I couldn't..eat..it.. >_>

Other comments. Having played TC quite extensively I will admit I have no idea the speed or carrying capacity of any golem beyond straw. So I was trying to think of a way to have like an employee stat sheet/book. Either a seperate book having a page for each golem & core's stats, or maybe fluffing the HQM book itself a bit? If nothing else I'll stop being lazy and eventually make like signs on the wall stating the basics. Just a thought so you can buy the proper golem (since really just carry size and speed matter without other upgrades).

My other...comment..is with the placement of the pulverizer. I figure it's probably too much work to ask you to flip them, so the first upgrade is closer to the furnace than its current placement but that would be amazing... I have an entire argument thought up if you want to hear it or if it might help persuade you. But as it, it's dealable, but a pain :p On the notes of pains, is the cyan clay required to be there? I find my derpy golem hopping on the corner of one moving from the pulverizer to the chest I placed somewhat between it and the furnace location. I may just break that block by hand if it doesn't need to be there, though I fear it may for the gate thingy (that I totally didn't 'see' was there until I placed a tin ore because of it >_< )

If you want help or suggestions or something for the alchemy I'd be glad to. Part of my rationale for it's balance was what you said, only the centrifuge itself is 'free' power/fuel, the furnace needs something burnable (alumentum, coal, blazerods, charcoal) so you'd have to manage more resources if you want to produce the 'chemicals'. Plus you'll have less jar overflow to deal with. (As a suggestion before you answer if you want any, the void jars will be very useful if you do try to implement anything with the essentia line). I'm trying to get into the animal/tree upgrades to see how you did them so I can make suggestions on the alchemy part, since as is I don't know how you worked those into a warehouse/factory :p

Aha, lessee here... Yes, the ressurection token is kind of a joke, but at some stage the map should be on HQM mode, so it's good to have.

Machines are meant to be awkward to get around, because I'm a dick like that :p, I think that if you want good infrastructure, have some carrier golems run around the bricked paths instead of running through the minefield that is unpacked machines. The top of the machines are all gate blocked, I had to find a way of making sure players can't access the machine before purchase and the golems can afterwards, so I had resorted to pistons.

and the golems... you could look it up online, but I might consider just giving you a cheat sheet thaumanomicon, because I am wondering how I'm meant to get the players to make things like nitor for the chemistry quests, since I have no idea how to spawn in complete research, how does that sound?

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
As far as an alternative way to block off machines goes could you just use command blocks to destroy the barriers? On that note as well you can use commands to grant research to players.

For feedback I'm just getting into the special orders and it seems interesting, it feels a bit slow to start but I'm sure you know that. It seems pretty good though and I'm still going.

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
I would love to use command blocks, and hell, I've considered it, but isn't that for 1.7.2?

Admittedly I have no experience in using them, and it would be too late to do it for jampacked, but I did consider if I did update the version to 1.7.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
While the setblock command was apparently added in 1.7.2 command blocks themselves were added in 1.4. So you could still use term for research and if you could get something like worldedit for the client you should be able to modify blocks with commands even without setblock.

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
I see, however that would be adding more mods to my modpack, and I'm going to be stubborn about not adding any more mods to my modpack, especially as I can taste the deadline. Strawberry flavored, I might add.

However, to make up for the not-having-nice-unlocks, I shall present to you a sneak peek of 1.0.4, maybe you can muck about with that and tell me what you think of the new chemistry quests? This goes for everyone.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I'll make sure to try it later today, some things though that I've found since my first post. Straw Golems are basically useless, the carry limit of one item and the inability to get upgrades means that they aren't very useful as the machines are faster than they are. On that note will there be a way to get upgrades for the golems? Also until progress is done with the thaumonmicon I would suggest just giving the cheat sheet, I took one for me anyway due to the usefulness of being able to check the info. The other thing I found is that progression feels really slow for a fairly long time, to me it feels like minecraft should be fairly active and even with two furnaces and a pulverizer it feels like there is huge stretches of time where you just wait for the stacks of ores to pulverize or smelt. I get that they should take a while and it is definitely speeding up now that I'm getting more stuff but if the early game could be possibly be shortened or there was something to do while you're just waiting for stuff to smelt it could be good.

Also I should probably mention that food is pointless, if we play on peaceful as you suggest (which I do) then we never lose hunger but otherwise you're not playing the map as suggested so the quests shouldn't bother rewarding it as they shouldn't be doing it.

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
That's all pretty much intended, It's meant to be slow as all hell, since orders irl will take days, if not weeks with multiple people. Early game, I'm expecting the player to be working just as much as the golems.

So far I haven't got upgrades for golems since I don't really see them as necessary for getting the map on its feet. I was more intending on upgrades coming out when I implement reward bags, which may or may not happen. I suppose I have a few days to work on that.

And stuff to do? Plotting to make more money? sorting out your inventory? Reworking the logistics of your other golems? Shopping? I fully expect players to AFK and go do something else while they wait for orders to finish, but if you really want to be a logistical prodigy when you're mid/late game, you can try preparing goods for shipments before their cooldown runs out.

thomboy90

Jul 29, 2019
hey i just started playing your map and it looks awsome. took some getting used to but i understand now. maybe you shoul dgive some explainations on the facotry upgrades etc on the first page o HQM book. also iam thinking of doing a lets play on your map it looks amazing :D

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
I honestly would've thought that the descriptions of the quests themselves would explain, but ok. I think I added more descriptions in the 1.0.4 version, so you might want to check out the preview, assuming you haven't done so already.

Also, an LP? :3

thomboy90

Jul 29, 2019
I honestly would've thought that the descriptions of the quests themselves would explain, but ok. I think I added more descriptions in the 1.0.4 version, so you might want to check out the preview, assuming you haven't done so already.

Also, an LP? :3

yeah i didn't red the preview sorry but it isn't to hard to understand maybe as a thing for security for people like me that don't read it
yeah i just made a new channel and this map looks like an epic lp :D

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
Heh, it's no problem. Fair warning, as a few people have stated, expect the beginning to be a bit slow.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
CaptPanda, great map idea. I've wanted to see something like this done for a long time.

Next I'd love to see someone try to do something similar but with pneumaticcraft Drones instead, hmmmm.