[1.1.0][JamPacked (the first one and the best one)] Hardcore Testing Mode: Golem Factory

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
Update:
Note that because of the gate block, you can't use the top of any of the machines.
If you are having any difficulty with the QDS quests, try placing a hopper (or similar) next to it. This is the only exception I'll make to the 'no transportation blocks' rule.
There may be a bug with HQM about cooldown repeatable quests not showing correct timings, it seems to be a visual bug, but I am unsure if it is anything more. It is something I know of and can do nothing about.

Anyways, I have answered a question about the usage of strongboxes, and something else I came up with on the spot!
Feel free to use and abuse them as you see fit, so long as they don't conflict with the existing rules. Upgrading them is allowed, moving stuff in them is allowed too. It's not map breaking as really you can just shove it in your inventory and make a few trips otherwise.

However, you can choose to eschew my words and make it all the more challenging for yourself by only using chests and instead making a pile of strongboxes. It is up to you where you make your strongbox pile, but I want you to take screenshots of your strongbox pile and share it with the world! This, is the Strongbox Challenge! The most impressive pile of strongboxes I might even show off on the front page, so eternal glory can be yours! Or something.

Pile of the day: Falkner35's pile!
upload_2014-10-3_0-25-6-png.13056

Hello, one and all, this is a unique concept for a map (as far as I'm aware at least) where the objective of the map is not about survival or thrival, this is going to be an economy based map! with money! and golems!

You are the owner of a factory. Your objective is to make big bucks. However, you are not allowed to use pipes (or hoppers, I know what some of you are like). The whole idea of this map is to use golems to carry items from one place to another, and I know some of you are thinking "Oh god not more thaumcraft research," to which I am happy to reply that you are able to get golems through the magic that I call 'HQM economy simulator repeatable quests', or shops.

Rules that I have planned
  • Play on Peaceful, or at least without any mobs.
  • You cannot pick up or move the machines, You will only be allowed to move chests, strongboxes, and of course; Golems.
  • I would prefer it if there were no chests on the output sides of the machines, that's for the golems to pick up. Same goes with hoppers on input sides. However, It is acceptable to have such items when connecting to the QDS, as apparently Golems do not work well with them.
  • You are not allowed to make more machines, but you are allowed to craft tools, such as axes, hoes, and the golden bag of holding, for example.
  • If you find any loopholes, please notify me about it, and carry on playing the map as it was intended to be played.

9WNYLom.jpg

(I know it's a flat world, hopefully you won't be leaving the factory.)
NHsrbaF.png

it2Ltio.png

Lz1zxEj.png

K4I3jNN.png

UCIgYkQ.png

The beginnings of your new career!

YkOP1sH.png

Future Quest mindmap

z9dMdf1.png

7uP3rwU.png

Current images for the launcher, better ones would be appreciated.

Magzie explains the map very well, he also talks about earlygame strats. Would recommend.
THEM GOSH DERN KIDS BREAKING MY WALLS AND MY RULES BACK IN MY DAY WE zzzzzzzz
Another good highlight of the pack by MeatyLock.
Follow the Gamer fez um vídeo, mas eu não entendo o que ele está dizendo!

Thaumcraft: Open so long as there is a link to the thread, Also Spreadsheet
CoFH Core: Open, Spreadsheet
Thermal Expansion: Open, Spreadsheet
Extra Utilities: Open, Spreadsheet
HQM: Gave permission for the Jam Packed competition

The modpack is now on the launcher! Go onto the 3rd party packs tab, and click on the pack codes button. The code is: "capitalism"

Last edited:

HenryFBP

Jul 29, 2019
Why not implement a computercraft-based system that handles items and possibly has dynamic prices, maybe with creative strongboxes. (not to suggest that that much lua is at all easy)

I've seen it done on a multiplayer server.

Reactions: pedrogamer

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
The reason I don't have computercraft is because of a few reasons:
1. I want to have a very simple modpack, the less mods, the less intensive the modpack is on your computer.
2. I want to use HQM in a way people wouldn't have thought, and so far, I haven't seen anyone use it as a shop.
3. I have no idea how to use computercraft.

Hopefully those answer your questions.

maskatchi

Jul 29, 2019
I really like this idea, ever since azanor implemented golems into thaumcraft I've always wanted to use them rather than pipes, but just never did because of the simplicity of the pipes from various mods. I'm not sure how many other people will like this, but I know I will try it out as soon as its available :)

WowIGottaPoop

Jul 29, 2019
Wow im really looking forward to this one golems are some of my favorite parts of thaumcraft

Can i beta test this

Last edited:

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
This map is in open alpha, I have updated the first post, so I recommend a re-read. However, this means you can now test the map, and tell me how bad it is give me ideas on how to improve it into a playable state!

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
You can feel free to spawn in some ores just to get a feel for the map may play, you can use "/hqm edit" in order to spawn in a special book that can automatically complete some of the quests to unlock some of the machines.

However, I do want to ask about what prices ores should be, and then how much the processed goods should cost. In the screenshots, I added a mindmap about future quests, and would like suggestions on how much the resources should cost and how much you get payed for completing them.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
When doing an economy, you have to start somewhere. Take something like 1 iron ore and set a price for it. Could be 1, 10, 100, doesn't matter. That's the base of your economy. At that point, decide what each of the other ores cost in relation to iron, and then the outputs should reflect the cost of the raw materials, as they would in the real world. If tin is cheap, items from tin are cheaper. If you make diamonds and gold expensive, the items made from them will cost more. Base cost of items on factors of Raw materials + time involved making them + level of tech to make them.

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
Strangely enough, yes it is preinstalled, so no further downloading needed.

There is currently a price for iron ore. It is about 10 quicksilver for a stack of iron ore, and you can trade a stack of iron ingots for 15 quicksilver. I've chosen this proportion because you start out with only a furnace, so you can still make a 5QS profit from it, but when you unlock the pulveriser, that doubles your gain, so I'm being cautious that if the price of iron is too high, then they might just try to profit off of iron ore doubling instead of trying other jobs.

Admittedly, there are no other jobs, which is why I'm asking the community to help, so they can help me come up with jobs and other values.

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
No, however you can purchase them through a repeatable quest. Different golems cost different amounts, cheapest one costs around 20QS. Honestly, download it and look for yourself, you can see what I mean more clearly if you do that.

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
I considered this, but I felt that a wide open space might be better for golem pathfinding. Plus, I like the idea of looking down on all your workers as they slave away at your very demands.

I may make a second version of the map, but so far it's pretty functional as it is, I'd rather focus on getting more quests so I can give people the chance to play the map.

Reactions: pc_assassin

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
Oh, wow. I didn't think about that. I did just check it, and it really doesn't work, so I'll have to work on that right away.

For the purposes of testing then, you may break the gate blocks. As the team only updates the launcher once a week, I'll submit the updated map here.

Many apologies for the inconvenience this has caused, I've updated the first post which contains info that might be useful.

Also, I still don't think that Waila is that useful, however next time I submit the updated modpack then I'll try to add it as an optional mod. Until then, you can either download it yourself or you can configure NEI to have that functionality.

Once again, many apologies, this map is in alpha.

Edit: Actually, can someone test to see if golems can pathfind through vanished gate blocks? If they can't, then I'll really need to make some drastic changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: pc_assassin