[0.5.1] Technomancy Discussion-Ore processing like a boss

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Just had an excellent idea. Make a purification process that converts flux goo and gas into usable fuel. I am thinking 2 or 3 steps each with its own machine . Eathat has decent power requirements, but the final output would be a extremely potent fuel. Each step should also have dangers, like one machine causes flux effect on players in a given radius, like the MFR sludge boiler, and the other has a random chance to spawn thaumic slimes.

I like this, but personally would like to see more steps involved in the creation process, probably along the lines of Mekanism's 5x ore processing in setup size.

And am I the only one that wants the extra flux just so I can fill a tank with it and toss flux florbs at people?

NullMagic

Jul 29, 2019
Damn, someone beat me to the Flux and Redstone Flux connection, I was totally gonna say something about that, now I feel like second best. This is what I get for not paying attention to the forums for like a Week :/

Note: It's okay to ignore most of this post if the idea of new power generation options really doesn't strike your fancy, as that's mostly what it's about (with a little geekiness thrown in on the side)

So, some thing that someone else said a few pages back about an Arcane bellows powered dynamo actually piqued my interest, and it got me wondering. We can make a set of bellows that magically pump themselves, why couldn't we do the same with a Windmill? Or a waterwheel? Make it a cheap recipe for the arcane workbench, rather than an ifusion, and the "basic" tier of dynamos, outputting 5 - 10 RF per tic. Anyway, that's just a thought.

As for the flux goo, the connection to Redstone Flux was already made, and I do have some thoughts on that. Like mixing Flux Goo and Destabalized Redstone to get some sort of Energized Flux goo which could work as a source of fuel, maybe for a sort of "Arcane Reactor".

I'm seeing a sort of progression for Generators/Dynamos. Starting with the lowest tier, it would be the magically powered spinny thingys, the second tier which is currently the Essentia Dynamo (similar to the Gas Generators of our own age), and the third tier which is the current Node Dynamo (which is more akin to tapping Aether Energy than anything else), and then a Fourth Tier involving some sort of Multiblock Reactor, it could combine all the knowledge you gained working on the previous tiers to make a much more powerful energy source. It could have magical moving parts, require Energized Flux (or just run better when it's present) and draw vis off of a node (or nodes) contained inside. I have this image of a bright node being circled by floating crystals/slabs (by this I mean spinning of course, as recent poles have confirmed that most people equate spinning with Science Happening) that are constantly bombarding the node with a sort of "stream" of Energized Flux (think of it like a particle beam, in which you hyper accelerate the molecules to create a charged ray of matter, Tesla used Liquid Mercury in his, so....) to stimulate greater energy release which is then being drawn off by two pillars one above and one below (I tend to think of the Nodes as being a Doorway into another layer of reality, a warp in the fabric if you will, where energy can leak through over time, so the idea here would be to shove the door wide open and leave it that way so you can harness the energy on the other side freely without having to wait for it to leak through on it's own). The danger of course is that if you don't regulate it carefully your node can either become warped by the constant bombardment (read: Become a tainted node) or reach critical mass and collapse in on itself (read: become a hungry node).

You could even have a Tier Five reactor which harnesses the awesome power of a Hungry Node (think Romulan Warp Drive Technology which runs off of an artificial and contained black hole, I know, my geek is showing). Of course if your containment somehow failed you'd be in some trouble, but the benefit of free and theoretically limitless power.......

of course you'll need a new type of Conduit to carry the massive amounts of RF you'll be generating. Such as an Energized Flux Conduit, made by filling an Empty Conduit with Energized Flux in a fluid transposer, and can carry a whopping 100,000 RF

anyway, that's my ideas for power generation.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Damn, someone beat me to the Flux and Redstone Flux connection, I was totally gonna say something about that, now I feel like second best. This is what I get for not paying attention to the forums for like a Week :/

Note: It's okay to ignore most of this post if the idea of new power generation options really doesn't strike your fancy, as that's mostly what it's about (with a little geekiness thrown in on the side)

So, some thing that someone else said a few pages back about an Arcane bellows powered dynamo actually piqued my interest, and it got me wondering. We can make a set of bellows that magically pump themselves, why couldn't we do the same with a Windmill? Or a waterwheel? Make it a cheap recipe for the arcane workbench, rather than an ifusion, and the "basic" tier of dynamos, outputting 5 - 10 RF per tic. Anyway, that's just a thought.

As for the flux goo, the connection to Redstone Flux was already made, and I do have some thoughts on that. Like mixing Flux Goo and Destabalized Redstone to get some sort of Energized Flux goo which could work as a source of fuel, maybe for a sort of "Arcane Reactor".

I'm seeing a sort of progression for Generators/Dynamos. Starting with the lowest tier, it would be the magically powered spinny thingys, the second tier which is currently the Essentia Dynamo (similar to the Gas Generators of our own age), and the third tier which is the current Node Dynamo (which is more akin to tapping Aether Energy than anything else), and then a Fourth Tier involving some sort of Multiblock Reactor, it could combine all the knowledge you gained working on the previous tiers to make a much more powerful energy source. It could have magical moving parts, require Energized Flux (or just run better when it's present) and draw vis off of a node (or nodes) contained inside. I have this image of a bright node being circled by floating crystals/slabs (by this I mean spinning of course, as recent poles have confirmed that most people equate spinning with Science Happening) that are constantly bombarding the node with a sort of "stream" of Energized Flux (think of it like a particle beam, in which you hyper accelerate the molecules to create a charged ray of matter, Tesla used Liquid Mercury in his, so....) to stimulate greater energy release which is then being drawn off by two pillars one above and one below (I tend to think of the Nodes as being a Doorway into another layer of reality, a warp in the fabric if you will, where energy can leak through over time, so the idea here would be to shove the door wide open and leave it that way so you can harness the energy on the other side freely without having to wait for it to leak through on it's own). The danger of course is that if you don't regulate it carefully your node can either become warped by the constant bombardment (read: Become a tainted node) or reach critical mass and collapse in on itself (read: become a hungry node).

You could even have a Tier Five reactor which harnesses the awesome power of a Hungry Node (think Romulan Warp Drive Technology which runs off of an artificial and contained black hole, I know, my geek is showing). Of course if your containment somehow failed you'd be in some trouble, but the benefit of free and theoretically limitless power.......

of course you'll need a new type of Conduit to carry the massive amounts of RF you'll be generating. Such as an Energized Flux Conduit, made by filling an Empty Conduit with Energized Flux in a fluid transposer, and can carry a whopping 100,000 RF

No arcane reactor. We have reactant dynamos.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
No arcane reactor. We have reactant dynamos.
No, this is a good idea.

Love the idea. Hope it gets implemented. +1

Reactions: Not_Steve

NitronTech00

Jul 29, 2019
Some ideas for flux:
Flux fermenter that makes things to flux.
Flux "refiner" that makes gas to goo.
Flux crystalliser that makes goo into very small amounts of flux crystals.
The crystal chould be some sort of extra dengerous alumentum that couse flux and taint nearby stuff that run on it.
Also throwable for super taint and flux explosion.
Maybe 8 gas to one goo and 10 goo to 3 crystals? Maybe you chould make a golem upgrade out of it with some thumium.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Since there is a possible linkage between Flux and Redstone Flux, how about having energy cells have a change of spewing forth raw flux into the environment? (configurable). Sure it changes how TE3 works, but going down the path of Technomancy unlocks the darker side of some of the existing tech in use...

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Technomancy for 1.6 has been temporarily halted. I need to get in touch with Skyboy/Myrathi/CoFH for the status on TE for 1.7. That will depend where future updates are headed. (And I'm too damn busy to actually spend time coding right now).

Just some thoughts for now, particularly with how flux will be incorporated for the future.
  • Machines will create flux while they are active. Machines with too much flux in them will have bad side effects on their performance. Not all machines will do this.
  • Some machines will use flux to increase their performance. They won't require it to run, but it will increase the speed/efficiency of the machine.
  • There will be some kind of flux ingot for advanced recipes.
  • Flux reactor that takes alumentum combined with flux to make an extremely large power output.
  • Flux capacitors/energycells/conduits. Extremely expensive, but much higher transfer rate.
  • Flux compactors that condenses flux into random essentia.

Laskeri

Jul 29, 2019
Technomancy for 1.6 has been temporarily halted. I need to get in touch with Skyboy/Myrathi/CoFH for the status on TE for 1.7. That will depend where future updates are headed. (And I'm too damn busy to actually spend time coding right now).

Just some thoughts for now, particularly with how flux will be incorporated for the future.
  • Machines will create flux while they are active. Machines with too much flux in them will have bad side effects on their performance. Not all machines will do this.
  • Some machines will use flux to increase their performance. They won't require it to run, but it will increase the speed/efficiency of the machine.
  • There will be some kind of flux ingot for advanced recipes.
  • Flux reactor that takes alumentum combined with flux to make an extremely large power output.
  • Flux capacitors/energycells/conduits. Extremely expensive, but much higher transfer rate.
  • Flux compactors that condenses flux into random essentia.

When you say machines, do you mean vanilla TE3 machines, or machines added by Technomancy? I do like the idea of the Flux Reactor, though.
One thing I'm not too keen on is the idea that TC4 flux = TE3 flux. It doesn't really make a lot of sense, IMO.
Also, have you tried asking around on the Thermal Expansion IRC channel?

Reactions: Padfoote

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I'm happy to see that someone is planning for 1.7. I'll be dropping worldgen mods in 1.7.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
When you say machines, do you mean vanilla TE3 machines, or machines added by Technomancy? I do like the idea of the Flux Reactor, though.
One thing I'm not too keen on is the idea that TC4 flux = TE3 flux. It doesn't really make a lot of sense, IMO.
Also, have you tried asking around on the Thermal Expansion IRC channel?
Just Technomancy machines.Not everything will require or use it. Just certain things.

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
Would the machines that use flux have a similar sort of instability thing to the infusion altar, i.e. less negative effects would be generated with specific items nearby. I assume they would cause negative effects anyways.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Would the machines that use flux have a similar sort of instability thing to the infusion altar, i.e. less negative effects would be generated with specific items nearby. I assume they would cause negative effects anyways.
Probably not considering all you'd have to do is hook them up to some tank or a void pipe.

PantsManUK

Jul 29, 2019
It's got to be me being stupid, but... I don't seem to be able to get the Orderly Lamps to work.

I get the whole Ordo into the top, that's easy and obvious, but how do I then "power" them? And how do I get the liquid flux out of them?

I've tried every combination of fluiducts, tanks and/or fluid transposers below the lamp (that makes the most sense to me - essentia in the top and flux from the bottom), and I've tried using conduit to see if they need RF (appears not, the conduit doesn't connect), but I don't see any sort of instability mitigation.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
It's got to be me being stupid, but... I don't seem to be able to get the Orderly Lamps to work.

I get the whole Ordo into the top, that's easy and obvious, but how do I then "power" them? And how do I get the liquid flux out of them?

I've tried every combination of fluiducts, tanks and/or fluid transposers below the lamp (that makes the most sense to me - essentia in the top and flux from the bottom), and I've tried using conduit to see if they need RF (appears not, the conduit doesn't connect), but I don't see any sort of instability mitigation.
Set the liquiducts to the "drain" setting with the crescent hammer and apply a redstone signal.