Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Computer back up, just so you know, what I was talking about at the end was my idea for adding a basket to hold food, flowers, dirt and other such items, and I've made it so that dirt drops dirt piles instead of blocks and a variety of new foods and items

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
Generally, yes. However, there are also some recipes added in post init, usually ones involving mod materials, and these recipes are not added by the global addRecipes function.

Also please ensure you are not bypassing isLocked() on the three mods that have it.
You have many mods! I think I'll add DragonAPI as a soft dependant to make my postinit remove the recipes occur before yours are added. I'll double check that all your recipes remain intact.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
They're probably doing it to save space. It's not like Minecraft is not using enough RAM already.
4096 possible IDs (including air) is 12 bits, 16 possible metadatas is 4 bits. That means a block and its metadata can fit into 2 bytes.
That's not how it works. Their IDs are stored in an int, which in Java, is 32 bits (or 4 bytes) no matter what. Metadata is a different matter (not to mention a different data field) entirely. Unless you work your arse off with bitwise operators, you can't even manipulate data that's less than 8 bits in size; even a boolean (which is either true or false) is always, at minimum, 8 bits.

When IDs have a fixed limit (technically, they're all limited, but I'm speaking of a limit below MAX_INT), that typically means that what they're doing is creating an array of blocks (or items) of a fixed size. That is bad design. One, its inflexible: if you want to resize arrays in most languages (raw arrays, not wrapped arrays like ArrayLists in Java or vectors in C++), you'd have to create a new array of the desired size and copy over the original array, something that is extremely cumbersome, and is thus almost never used as most people who want or need such functionality will go for the standard array wrapper classes available to them. Two, its inefficient: if you have less than the maximum number of blocks and/or items allocated, you're wasting space, since every member of the array exists in-memory as a blank instance of the appropriate type. Granted, two is somewhat mitigated because blank instances don't have as much data as regular instances, but that's still wasted space.

And, seeing how Mojang waited until the game had been around (and popular) for several years before releasing a critically needed overhaul on their obscenely badly-designed engine, do you honestly expect them to take the efficient, sensible option first, when a sloppy kludge is available that gets the job done faster? Ya don't need a degree to know some design decisions are just...bad. Minecraft may have started out as an indie project by a lone dude (and maybe his friends, I dunno when Jeb and Co. joined in, exactly), but once it started showing signs of being popular, Notch really ought to have taken the time to refactor the code and make it not only make it more efficient and more stable, but also make it more easily-extensible to speed along future content additions.

One of the first rules of programming I learned a long time ago: raw arrays are bad. Avoid them like the plague whenever possible.

Reactions: 1SDAN and Padfoote

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
That's not how it works. Their IDs are stored in an int, which in Java, is 32 bits (or 4 bytes) no matter what. Metadata is a different matter (not to mention a different data field) entirely. Unless you work your arse off with bitwise operators, you can't even manipulate data that's less than 8 bits in size; even a boolean (which is either true or false) is always, at minimum, 8 bits.
But I think that's how they're stored on the disk. I don't know how chunk data is being stored in memory, but storing IDs and metadata as fully fledged 32 bit integers would severly increase the size of savefiles.
I agree it's suboptimal though.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Basically I remove the option to break logs and you instead get sticks from saplings. Then you start making tools and weapons like @ljfa said and you end up punching dirt or ExNihilo Sieving dirt so that you can get stones. (Not Cobblestone, ExNihilo Stones that are MineTweakered to be unable to make actual cobblestone) Then you start knapping the stones to make a stone handaxe which can be used to craft a stone shovel. The shovel allows you to mine sand so that you can get more stones at an easier pace. Then you start searching the world for some ruins that contain chests with flint fragments in them. Combine 4 Flint Fragments into 1 flint so that you can make a flint shovel so that you may mine gravel and clay. 4 Gravel can be made into 1 flint fragment and clay is used for ceramics and TiCon Smelteries. Fire the grout in a Stone Kiln (Renamed Furnace) and finally craft a smeltery. (Revamped recipes to require less grout overall but more complex crafting) However, crafting said Smeltery requires a crafting table, so you must use2 of your Flint to craft a 8 use Flint Axe and cut down some logs. With it, by crafting a log with an Axe you are able to craft 1 plank at the cost of 3 Axe Durability. So it will overall require 2 axes, and thus 8 Flint, or in other words 32 flint fragments to make one crafting table. Only once you obtain a crafting table may you make a smeltery and thus able to smelt the copper. Of course you'll need lava and thus you'll need a clay bucket. Problem is that there are Lava Monsters in this pack so getting that lava will be very dangerous.

And that is how the Stick age works (Still in dev, end product may vary)

Sounds like a full conversion mod I heard of. I don't remember what It was called. :/

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
One of the first rules of programming I learned a long time ago: raw arrays are bad. Avoid them like the plague whenever possible.
If the number of elements doesn't change after the array is created it's fine to use them. If the number is dynamic then indeed an ArrayList or some other data structure is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.