Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Utopiaman

Jul 29, 2019
I just thought of a way to rid of ID conflicts ; there could be a website where people claim item/block IDs and everyone who makes a mod registers all IDs on it (just a thought)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
ID conflicts don't exist in 1.7, except for potion effects and biomes, I think. A list like that, as far as I can recall, already exists on the Forge forums, as well.

Reactions: Padfoote

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I just thought of a way to rid of ID conflicts ; there could be a website where people claim item/block IDs and everyone who makes a mod registers all IDs on it (just a thought)
There are no ID conflicts anymore as of 1.7.
And the number of IDs of all mods combined would probably be too large for Minecraft. You can't use arbitrarily large numbers as IDs.
In 1.7 IDs are registered on a world-by-world basis. On 1.6 it was a pack-by-pack basis.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

As the two above me have said, that's not a concern anymore. Plus, there is a strong likelihood of people not caring enough to "reserve" IDs for mods if we still had that problem.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if worlds have the old, arbitrary ID limits, though, so it may be possible to overload them if you add too many mods. If the old ways are well and truly gone in all scopes, then such a feat would be difficult to the point of effectively being impossible. I mean, unless you find a way to register over 2 billion individual blocks and/or items...which, unless the mod is specifically designed to do just that, will likely never happen outside extreme edge cases involving weird looping bugs.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if worlds have the old, arbitrary ID limits, though, so it may be possible to overload them if you add too many mods. If the old ways are well and truly gone in all scopes, then such a feat would be difficult to the point of effectively being impossible. I mean, unless you find a way to register over 2 billion individual blocks and/or items...which, unless the mod is specifically designed to do just that, will likely never happen outside extreme edge cases involving weird looping bugs.
The current limit is 4095 blocks and 32000 items. This can be bypassed by using subitems and similarities.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
As I said on the last page, I'm thinking of doing a showcase stream of my modpack. Would anyone like to watch it if I did, or should I just post a basic YouTube vid instead?

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
there could be a website where people claim item/block IDs and everyone who makes a mod registers all IDs on it

Even if we introduced such a system when it was needed, it'll get abused to no end with people claiming a whole stack of IDs they then never use.
Also there seems to be more things needing an ID than ID numbers available.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
Even if we introduced such a system when it was needed, it'll get abused to no end with people claiming a whole stack of IDs they then never use.
Also there seems to be more things needing an ID than ID numbers available.
Why are we even discussing this? It was all fixed in 1.7.

Utopiaman

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhat on-topic first time I played minecraft saw a creeper and thought it was a snake - died , proceeded to watch 100 hrs of minecraft tutorials and studied the wiki like a bible. I know how to make lotsa redstone contraptions now so in total I have watched ~500 Hrs of minecraft tutorials,lets plays and other things. ;P

Last edited:

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
The current limit is 4095 blocks and 32000 items. This can be bypassed by using subitems and similarities.
...WHY?! Why keep that old, arbitrary system when they could've included a less limited, more extensible one in the update? I...honestly don't understand a lot of Mojang's decisions, sometimes. Yeah, that's a lot of block IDs, but that's using, like...a millionth of the available range. I should probably stop before I enter into another "THIS IS STUPID DESIGN" rant that takes up sixteen paragraphs.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
...WHY?! Why keep that old, arbitrary system when they could've included a less limited, more extensible one in the update? I...honestly don't understand a lot of Mojang's decisions, sometimes. Yeah, that's a lot of block IDs, but that's using, like...a millionth of the available range. I should probably stop before I enter into another "THIS IS STUPID DESIGN" rant that takes up sixteen paragraphs.
The system works like this:

All blocks have to be registered in the block registry. Whenever a mod adds a block, they get the next id available. If the IDs goes pass 4095, something happens (I don't remember what, either crashes or doesn't add the block I guess).

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
They're probably doing it to save space. It's not like Minecraft is not using enough RAM already.
4096 possible IDs (including air) is 12 bits, 16 possible metadatas is 4 bits. That means a block and its metadata can fit into 2 bytes.

Status
Not open for further replies.