The Ultimate Tinkers Construct Tools

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
As beginners pickaxe I recommend a blue slime tool rod and a blue slime tool binding with a stone pickaxe head.

To get the slime balls, kill a bat, morph into it, fly to a slime island and profit ;D

You can repair it with cobble AND it's got high durability.
Why go to all that trouble for a slime rod/binding when it'll be obsolete once you get iron?

Here's a beginner's pick: explore until you find a village with a blacksmith's house that contains a steel item. Put the item in a smeltery, use it to make a steel pick head. Now you can mine cobalt and ardite without having to bother with anything else.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Why go to all that trouble for a slime rod/binding when it'll be obsolete once you get iron?

Here's a beginner's pick: explore until you find a village with a blacksmith's house that contains a steel item. Put the item in a smeltery, use it to make a steel pick head. Now you can mine cobalt and ardite without having to bother with anything else.
While I agree about the slime handles, you need sand and gravel to make a smeltery. Now that slime islands are everywhere, you can just pillar up and gather more slime than you'll ever use or need. Using sand or gravel allows for easy pillar clean up. And with all of that slime you'll even have some stinky snacks

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
While I agree about the slime handles, you need sand and gravel to make a smeltery. Now that slime islands are everywhere, you can just pillar up and gather more slime than you'll ever use or need. Using sand or gravel allows for easy pillar clean up. And with all of that slime you'll even have some stinky snacks

Not even that- TiC add tinker's houses, and sometimes smelteries to the village. All you need is a bucket.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
That is assuming you added mods to the default Unleashed modpack or how are you going to fly early game? (Unless you made force armor with wing on it)

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Morph ;)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Morp is not part of unleashed, so that means adding a mod. except for force armor or jetpack there is no early game flight in unleashed. and tbh. i don't consider either of those as a pre metal pick option.

The easiest/cheapest way to get to the slime islands really early game (like in the first mc day), is to just make some wooden scaffolding. you can stack them up from below with left clicks, and they are climbable like ladders. break the bottom one, and the whole pilar comes flying down. much much cheaper than using a stack+ of gravel. also. it gives you a easy way back down without having to take fall damage/use a water bucket.

you get 64 scaffolds from 4,5 logs, so even if harvesting by hand, you should get them in a couple of minutes.

frederic

Jul 29, 2019
i did not useelectricon everything since it costs eu and if you go on a long caving run i like to be armored up so that is why also the electric is kinda buggy

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Or, as mentioned above, you simply collect a stack of sand. ;)

you often need more than one stack, and it wont help you get easily down again, unless you have a handy pool of water to play with. hence why scaffolding is the superior method.
you can get up and grab the trees even before you have made any tools at all. punch tree, make worktable, make scaffold. use scaffold. get slimetrees, and then return to ground and reclaim scaffold.
it even doubles as a quick and cheap wall material for your first shelter. (mobs don't recognize them as ladders, so they are safe to use).

never underestimate the power of scaffolding. :cool:

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
It's just preference. I personally would be frustrated having scaffolding that I'd never use again

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
It's just preference. I personally would be frustrated having scaffolding that I'd never use again

you can always use them as kindling in your furnace if you think you won't need them anymore. or as cheap filler when filling in creeper craters.
Thing is, there is always a need for some kind of temporary placeholder or scaffold. using dirt is fine in some cases, but there are also cases where being able to take it all down by just hitting the bottom layer is very handy. and you don't have to fool around with torches and stuff when building with them. you can even go a little sideways.

but as you wrote. it's a preference thing. it's not like we don't have blocks practically pouring out of our asses within a mc day or two after all.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
What's the best material for bows that doesn't require a smeltery? I'm just going with wood, but I suspect that there is something better. I tried some other combos, and failed pretty hard.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
What's the best material for bows that doesn't require a smeltery? I'm just going with wood, but I suspect that there is something better. I tried some other combos, and failed pretty hard.
Pretty much boils down to either Thaumium or Green Slime I'd guess. Doesn't hurt to use a good string either. Apparently one can use Magic Fabric to make a enchanted bowstring that gives you a extra modifier, but I usually go for nether spider(forgot the name) bowstring because it gives a durability boost and I'm too poor to make a TiC Bow for real. Mostly because I dread the idea of improving those arrows as well as the bow.

Reactions: Jess887cp

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty much boils down to either Thaumium or Green Slime I'd guess. Doesn't hurt to use a good string either. Apparently one can use Magic Fabric to make a enchanted bowstring that gives you a extra modifier, but I usually go for nether spider(forgot the name) bowstring because it gives a durability boost and I'm too poor to make a TiC Bow for real. Mostly because I dread the idea of improving those arrows as well as the bow.

Yeah, the arrows are already getting really expensive, just from the feathers. I'm going to go into the nether and hope I don't die too much then.

I've been using the longsword to super jump up to four blocks high. It's amazing. I was going to use a super-knockback scythe, but the jumping is much more satisfying. I'll probably go hunting for villages to try out the cutlass.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, the arrows are already getting really expensive, just from the feathers. I'm going to go into the nether and hope I don't die too much then.

I've been using the longsword to super jump up to four blocks high. It's amazing. I was going to use a super-knockback scythe, but the jumping is much more satisfying. I'll probably go hunting for villages to try out the cutlass.
Strangely enough, it's not super rare. It's not even rare in my eyes, two out of three villages with at least two TiC buildings seem to have about a half dozen of the right pattern in my testing. Dunno why.
Other then my insane luck, anyway.

The jumping would be nice if I wasn't afraid of killing myself with fall damage. The cutlass suits me to a Tea. When I block a hit, I go faster for a bit, thus Skeletons aren't as bad. The random crits I've been told they do is nice as well.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019

Ohh yeah. Parkour baby! parkour. (not recomended while over lava).

Strill

Jul 29, 2019
What's the fastest hammer you've all made? I tried full electric ardite with an Emerald and three redstone upgrades and got 36.79. It's pretty darn fast, but not quite as fast as I'd hoped.

I'd like to test out more hammers, but using up all their durability to max out the stonebound upgrade is incredibly tedious. Can someone post the stats of their hammers?

Or just what was the general ballpark of your hammer speed? If no one's gotten much faster than that then I guess that's what I'll settle for.

Strill

Jul 29, 2019
Aha! I found the formula in the source code on github! For hammers at least, the Stonebound mining speed bonus is:

ln( damage / 216 + 1 ) * 2 * stonebound

Based on that I've concluded that the fastest hammer is full ardite with an electric upgrade and four redstone upgrades. That comes out to:

8 (base) + 15.726 (stonebound) + 16 (redstone) = 39.726 mining speed.

Dr_appleman

Jul 29, 2019
I like using a cactus for my long-sword blade to get the jagged effect also thaumium is a good extra material.