Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, so we go from eula to Microsoft buying mojang for 2 billion dollars, STOP PLOWING OVER THE COMMUNITY MOJANG!!! #SaveMinecraft
Yes, the new EULA is terrible. How could Mojang consider making it legal to sell particles...

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I do realize that NEM is out of date, but from what I understand, the VC integration shouldn't be trying to check NEM if you're integrating with it properly (obviously I could be horrifically wrong). And even if we updated NEM (speaking of, I need to get re-voiced in there so I can work on that without having to pester the IRC channel), the versions being reported to VC are wrong and so it would STILL false-positive.
I will ask the developer about it.

Honestly you'd be well within your rights to stop accepting bug reports. At least you're still trying to find a compromise that's reasonable for all parties involved. And we ARE trying to give you ideas and meet you halfway, even @SynfulChaot who decided to leave the discussion. You've mentioned refusing bug supports without logs... or someone did. Why not put that in the rules of the thread? You already don't support people that can't put their logs in spoilers, it's a simple extension.
It helps little. As you no doubt see from reading it yourself, people daily post reports that literally say "do not report this", or contain no mention of my mods, or are answered 20 minutes earlier. One more rule does nothing when the problematic people TL;DR the whole thing in the first place.

That reminds me: That new option to gate RC behind another mod by editing the Blast Furnace recipe? It is on thin ice now because it is spawning bug reports as players are getting confused with their packs changing it, despite how every pack using it swore up and down that they would ensure they addressed all questions of this nature. Assuming they were not outright lying, which given my experiences is always a possibility, then players are simply not reading where it says to do that.

How does one reach a player who does not read?

A lot of the people in your thread gladly help you with the kind of things that a bot would. Why not try and let the thread handle some of this itself? It's not like we can't say "Sorry, no idea, Reika will have to handle this one". Obviously that doesn't help your PM inbox, but it's odd how you're averse to incremental solutions.
I do appreciate it when others "catch" the questions, but it cannot be relied on; Some days it seems I am the only one on the forums, and others 10 people are all addressing the same questions. In the former case, the people submitting the bug reports just go "bump" "bump" "bump" "bump" "bump".

Trust me, I (at the very least, and I'm pretty sure everyone else) understand the frustration of dealing with your average person. I've done tech support. But a lot of these solutions seem like you're TRYING to piss off your userbase... and that's crazy. You have gotten a large number of good suggestions with positive response from pretty much all of us. There are a few people that are grumbling about not being able to turn it off permanently, but as that's literally completely contrary to your wishes on the matter... you can't please everyone :)
Yes, but from the reaction the last update received, I fear that now any action short of removing update notices entirely - and given some of the things people have said here and elsewhere, happily accepting old bug reports and complaints as well - is going to be met with another discussion on reddit/IRC/forums/etc which can be summarized as "OMG f*** Reika".
I realize people suggest simply ignoring these discussions, but their very existence will see to it that my userbase dwindles, eventually to nothing. Indeed, some of the users there even openly profess that as their goal.

The current idea as I understand it is to use Coolsquid's jarfile hash thing to give people a way to not see update notifications for a reasonable grace period, which COULD be extended indefinitely by regular modpack updates. Not infinitely, there's no proper kill switch, but as long as the pack maintainer has to do some work to manage to keep the notification from the players of the pack, that satisfies you. Right?

As long as I can prevent my users from seeing update notifications in some way that doesn't feel like I'm being made to jump through overly complicated flaming hoops, for as long as I continue to keep updating my pack? I don't see a problem myself. When a pack becomes abandoned? The update notification will show up. While I'm actively keeping updates flowing, as a pack maintainer I obviously noticed the marquee, and chose to not update for some reason, and you making it so I can make sure my users are not bothered by that administrative decision is GREATLY appreciated, really. Not that I'm not going to grumble about it (to myself) while I'm doing it mind, but that's the mark of a good compromise: Nobody is 100% satisfied :p
I like this idea the best, too. Implementation sounds somewhat difficult (adding a file to a jar when it is open??), but surely @CoolSquid can help with this. :p

I... what? If you seriously think that, then wow. You should of opened with that, as to save everyone's time.

Of course I'm sure you'll read this in a way to suit your 'everyone is dumb but me' worldview since trust is apparently wrong. I must commend you, however, for managing to change my view of you from 'pretty cool guy' to 'i don't even' in two posts. I think that has to be a record.
My saying this is no doubt going to further fuel your opinion, but if you had had the experience I have, where I can name 15+ times where people who were supposed to act as helpers screwed me over either due to incompetence or malice, both online and offline, yet not once where they have not, you too would be very apprehensive of receiving outside help as your mind runs with 500 scenarios that all end with egg on your face or worse.

Let me tell you a bit of a story. For most of my life, the number of friends I had could have been counted on the fingers of a fish (read: zero).
Then, one day (around grade 7, if I remember correctly), a miracle! Someone who was nice to me!
Fast-forward two years and I find out that they were not a friend at all, they were working to keep me isolated and friendless and destroy my self-image, and their ultimate goal - proudly confessed to me - was to get me to kill myself.
When experiences like that are not a crazy outlier, but fairly typical of the sorts of relationships people have to you (though fortunately there were only three with that end goal), you very quickly develop issues trusting others you do not know extensively well.

Last edited:

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
That reminds me: That new option to gate RC behind another mod by editing the Blast Furnace recipe? It is on thin ice now because it is spawning bug reports as players are getting confused with their packs changing it, despite how every pack using it swore up and down that they would ensure they addressed all questions of this nature. Assuming they were not outright lying, which given my experiences is always a possibility, then players are simply not reading where it says to do that.
When I put a recipe into the crafting table from memory and it doesn't produce anything then the first thing I do is look into NEI. Are there really so many people who don't do that?

I like this idea the best, too. Implementation sounds somewhat difficult (adding a file to a jar when it is open??)
Is the jar still open after the class loader has read it?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
When I put a recipe into the crafting table from memory and it doesn't produce anything then the first thing I do is look into NEI. Are there really so many people who don't do that?
Apparently, and it makes sense they would overlap with the "don't read anything [it's not natural]" people.

Is the jar still open after the class loader has read it?
I have no idea, but my inability to edit it in Explorer/WinRAR implies it is.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Let me tell you a bit of a story. For most of my life, the number of friends I had could have been counted on the fingers of a fish (read: zero).
Then, one day (around grade 7, if I remember correctly), a miracle! Someone who was nice to me!
Fast-forward two years and I find out that they were not a friend at all, they were working to keep me isolated and friendless and destroy my self-image, and their ultimate goal - proudly confessed to me - was to get me to kill myself.
When experiences like that are not a crazy outlier, but fairly typical of the sorts of relationships people have to you (though fortunately there were only three with that end goal), you very quickly develop issues trusting others you do not know extensively well.
o_O
Holy cow, Reika. You've seemed kinda harsh in the past, and now I see why. And I can't blame you at all. No wonder you take offense at so many things people do...

This seems like when I should put in some sort of sympathetic platitude, but that's so far beyond anything I've gone through that I don't even know what to say...

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
What the fuck is wrong with people like that?

Reactions: Padfoote

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
This makes me really sad. Fuck those people. I don't have words for how bad they are.

Reactions: Reika and ljfa

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019

Damn, dude. I've had similar experiences, not to the same degree as you, but I've been...to put it bluntly, screwed over, by people that claimed to be my friends several times. Its to the point where I can fairly easily say that I just don't make friends, with few exceptions. I know what its like and it, quite simply, sucks. You're not alone, bro. You are not alone.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
This is the kind of shit that really makes my blood boil.
To be that underhanded and malicious. I'm kinda lost for words ... :(
Well what we really should be saying is thank you for being brave enough to open up to us like this, despite all the general shit that gets flung your way.
And thank you for doing what you do; standing up for what you know is right even when everyone else thinks you're wrong.​

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
This is the kind of shit that really makes my blood boil.
To be that underhanded and malicious. I'm kinda lost for words ... :(
Well what we really should be saying is thank you for being brave enough to open up to us like this, despite all the general shit that gets flung your way.
And thank you for doing what you do; standing up for what you know is right even when everyone else thinks you're wrong.​
Damn straight, brother, damn straight.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
What the fuck is wrong with people like that?
They still think like this too, a decade later. This was a message I got on my thread about a year ago:
CSa8BvO.png

The "she" he is referring to is a girl I had a (short-lived) attraction to who, yes, shot me down very harshly (though that in and of itself is not unusual), and who was one of the ones in charge of the yearbook one year, and had me - or rather, a drawing of me with puffing cheeks and as wide as a car in the picture - on the front page, something she claimed was being nice.

"Fat"...well, I was the fat kid, especially from Grades 4-10.

The "hair" was the hairstyle my parents imposed on me until I turned 18 or so, which did indeed resemble a mushroom in shape.

Waterloo is a highly regarded university a short distance away, one many of my classmates went to, and though I - as most of you know - did as well academically with post-secondary education as any of them, the running gag was that I was destined to be a failure as an adult.

The "retarded kid" is a friend of mine - who remains a friend, though we have not seen each other in person lately - who was also shy and ostracized by many. If I ever mentioned a friend who is "very good at math" or who writes piano music, this is who I was referring to.

The "pictures on facebook" were some photos taken during the years, some of which were doctored (usually to inflate me or my face, though one instance...let's just say it was significant I was under 18 at the time) and put on Facebook, which were indeed popular (I never saw them myself, having never visited the facebook website) and commonly gossiped about.

I have no idea how he found me, but if he comes back he will regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.