[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
There is a seasons mod that was pretty nice, but I think it didn't rise to popularity as much as it could because it requires you to drop it into your minecraft jar, not just add it to your mods folder. Other problems with that aside, it tends to break things really quickly when forge gets updated.

I imagine if it were more forge-compatible it would see more use.

Gabry_R

Jul 29, 2019
There is a seasons mod that was pretty nice, but I think it didn't rise to popularity as much as it could because it requires you to drop it into your minecraft jar, not just add it to your mods folder. Other problems with that aside, it tends to break things really quickly when forge gets updated.

I imagine if it were more forge-compatible it would see more use.
Ahh I see, what a shame! Not gonna fiddle with it then, I'm not a programmer and I'd probably break everything haha
Let's hope someone has the same idea and makes a more stable one!

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Update: The_WeatherPony over on Minecraftforums has been working on another iteration of the Seasons mod and he has a beta version out for 1.7.10. He has indicated that it is still a BETA version, and does have some mod incompatibilities still - CodeChickenCore being a notable one - but it does appear to be making progress.

Here's a link to the thread.

Reactions: 1SDAN

Gabry_R

Jul 29, 2019
Update: The_WeatherPony over on Minecraftforums has been working on another iteration of the Seasons mod and he has a beta version out for 1.7.10. He has indicated that it is still a BETA version, and does have some mod incompatibilities still - CodeChickenCore being a notable one - but it does appear to be making progress.

Here's a link to the thread.
Thanks man, I'll go take a look at the thread. I'm away from home until Friday night so I won't be able to test it until then, but I will look into it! Thanks!

EDIT: Ok so I read through it, it looks good! But, as another guy says in the last page, seasons are indeed a bit short(7 minecraft days). He says that to change that you should get an NBT editor and edit the .dat files in your world. Could anyone help me with that? I'd have no idea where to start and I definitely wouldn't want to mess up my world ahah

Last edited:

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, it indeed did. You can also almost assuredly use DynEMC (or the ingame commands) to bypass the "blacklist" as well if you'd like. Haven't tried either yet, so your mileage my vary. I should totally go figure out if Xeno ever said how he figured out the EMC values so I've got a good baseline for adding mod worldgen stuff... that'd be fun... but I'm strange :p

I also should probably see if I can get either a thread here or a reddit post going to give Thaumcraft Aspects to all sorts of mod items that don't have them... actually a site might be a better idea, except I don't have my own web server... *sigh*

Edit: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...65-nbtexplorer-nbt-editor-for-windows-and-mac

As for which files? No idea, I'd have to go into the thread and likely install the mod to figure that out. It's usually pretty self-explanatory though.

Also it's not too hard to avoid crashing your world as long as you don't try and put letters in a number-only field or go WAY out of the bounds of reasonability.

Gabry_R

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, it indeed did. You can also almost assuredly use DynEMC (or the ingame commands) to bypass the "blacklist" as well if you'd like. Haven't tried either yet, so your mileage my vary. I should totally go figure out if Xeno ever said how he figured out the EMC values so I've got a good baseline for adding mod worldgen stuff... that'd be fun... but I'm strange :p

I also should probably see if I can get either a thread here or a reddit post going to give Thaumcraft Aspects to all sorts of mod items that don't have them... actually a site might be a better idea, except I don't have my own web server... *sigh*

Edit: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...65-nbtexplorer-nbt-editor-for-windows-and-mac

As for which files? No idea, I'd have to go into the thread and likely install the mod to figure that out. It's usually pretty self-explanatory though.

Also it's not too hard to avoid crashing your world as long as you don't try and put letters in a number-only field or go WAY out of the bounds of reasonability.
Okay so in the thread TheWeatherPony just said he's going to probably fix the incompatibilities in the next release which is coming out "soon", so I will wait for that since a lot of the mods that are incompatible are in my modpack. I will still have to use the NBT Editor to configure the settings, so thanks for this anyways :p

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I've been fiddling around with thievery in Minecraft and now have it so that a player can "pickpocket" a villager. The chances are set rather low at the moment, and I have the villager react rather violently if he detects the attempt. I also have it "disable" the trade from that villager if you successfully stole the item, because, well, you stole it...

Granted, this is rather antisocial behavior in Minecraft, but sometimes maybe a bit of limited larceny is preferable to going Attila the Hun on those poor vanilla villagers.

This doesn't work with CustomNPCs, just the normal ones with the insane ideas of what "fair trade" means.

How might I flesh this out into a thing worth releasing? or should I just whack it over the back of the head and bury it behind the woodshed while I still can?

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Although it is certainly arguable whether a regent should be stealing from his subjects, I don't have any immediate plans to implement this in my R2R Utilities mod. It's currently just a side-project diversion and thought I'd get your input on it.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
St. Patrick's Day Building Challenge!!!

I missed Valentine's Day completely. meant to have a seasonal challenge for you guys. Sorry about that (and not following through on the Christmas challenge) (even if Mobius' teashop would fit the bill of a Valentineish build :p). Here's something for Paddy's Day, and I'll try to get something up for Easter (probably involving both chickens and bunnies if you are running 1.8, otherwise probably just chickens)

SO. St. Patrick's Day building challenge to help your creativity will mainly focus on alcohol and the color Green, because that's the stereotypical thing in the States at least.

The color theme of this challenge is Green. It doesn't need to be 100% green.
Build the following (may be separate builds or one complete build):

Build a brewery.
Build an alehouse/bar/pub/inn with serving area that serves alcohol/etc
Build a Shamrock-inspired building or (semi-) permanently decorate a building with shamrock-ish decorations

Bonus Challenge 1: Recreate Paddy's Pub from Always Sunny in Philadelphia as best you can (because I love that show. Charlie Day RULES!)
Bonus Challenge 2: Build a Rainbow out of colored blocks, with a bowl made up of gold blocks (or simply one gold block if you don't have much gold) at one end of it.
Bifrost Challenge Expansion: Build a floating city/a few buildings way up in the air on the non-Gold side of the rainbow (Bifrost Challenge Expansion does not need to be Green themed)

Edits/additional posts on where I'm at with the Agriculture stuff to follow.

Disclaimer: These are still rough numbers, and incomplete. This should be considered at best an Alpha preview of the new Agricultural system.

IMO Farmers should produce more than their workers, because it's their farm, their livelihood, and probably know more about how everything runs than someone they hire.

However, once you start scaling things up this gets a bit more difficult, because they'd need to spend more and more time managing the farm.

Farmers->Foremen

basic farmers will have a boosted output when they're below a certain point, and start taking penalties when they're above that point--at that point they'll be operating as (at least) Foremen, so they'll be giving a bonus to their workers instead of having a bonus for themselves.

Then, at another point, they become the base Agricultural Noble, with rank ups at certain intervals.

Agricultural Nobles

Agricultural Nobles will give a fixed bonus by virtue of being an Agro Noble. However, the higher rank Agro Nobles will be able to call upon more resources (advisors [Foremen and their ilk], military/security forces, onsite forges so tools work better/made of better materials, more and better housing for workers to make them happier, etc).

Yes, I am describing a town springing up around higher ranking Agro Nobles and their farms. Not only that, but the highest rank Nobles should be able to have low-ranking Agro Nobles underneath them if you want. I will probably assign point values to various upgrades/advisors/low-level Nobles, and each rank will have a certain amount of points to choose from--with each upgrade having a specific bonus. Of course, with higher and higher populations on the farm(s), the population will have needs that are not necessarily specific to the farm--so non-Agriculture buildings and population will start springing up.

Additionally, if you opt for smaller farms but more of them, Agro Nobles will also be able to provide bonuses to each of the smaller farms.

Specific Numbers

This is an example using Farming/Plantations. The other Specialties would be roughly similar.

So. Something like 10 plots/Farmhand, double that for farmers. 10% bonus for a Foreman, and a 15% bonus for being underneath an Agricultural Noble (Stacks with the Foreman bonus for total of 25%)

Racial/Supervisor bonuses are NOT the only bonuses that will be available. For another type of bonus/penalty, see the Living Quarters section nested in the Farm Plot Reduction spoiler. There will be more even on top of those bonuses.

So what does this mean for Racial Bonuses?

This would mean for the rough racial bonuses--the +5 bonuses=50% more food. the -10 for Testificate/Dwarves completely cancels out their ability to do work below/above ground respectively. So, if you game the system and only use races with the +5, assume 1.5x the number of plots shown. If these numbers are adopted, Dwarf/Testificate racial penalties will probably be brought up to -8% or more so they're not 100% useless. Just......mostly useless.

I do not want to do a +5 above, -5 below. I want it a bit more than that. Not sure how Test/Dwarf penalties would work with Foreman/Nobility if work is done below/above the surface.

I'm considering shuffling around bonuses (or making up a new one) so I can have a race that has a bonus to Nobility/Foremen. They'd be stuffy, uptight, and secure in the knowledge that they are superior (if you don't get the reference Google/Youtube "Farscape Humans are Superior"), and get a +5% Foreman bonus, +3 % Nobility bonus for a combined total of 33% (compared to the standard 25%).

These would apply across all Specialties, while Races with bonuses to a Specialty would provide the same/slightly higher(?) bonus only to their own, specific Specialty.

??? or +10% Foreman, 5% Nobility bonus for 40% if double-stacked (trying to use rounded numbers if at all possible, with the obvious exception of 33%=1/3 ), at the expense of other Specialties within the Noble's purview. ???

Farmer Plot reduction as Farms grow (Before synergistic bonuses from various Specialties, non-Noble Bonus buildings)

Foreman/Noble Bonuses are assumed to be without Racial Bonus unless specifically stated. the second number with the Racial Bonuses shows the number if the Farmhands have optimal Racial Bonuses (+5 Plots). An example of Racial Bonuses to Foreman Specialties can be found at the bottom of this section.

Farmers reduced to 15 plots at 5 farmhands (~65 plots, 98 with Racial Bonuses)

reduced to 5 plots/Farmer at 15 farmhands (but full Foreman bonuses). At this point the Farmer is the only Foreman (Rule of Cool notwithstanding) (~170 Plots, 255 with Racial Bonuses)

Full negation of Farmers tending their farms at 20 Farmhands, and the Farmer is able to hire up to 2 Foremen (if desired, but only 1 Foreman Bonus per Specialty) while retaining his own Foreman bonus. (~220 Plots, 330 with Racial Bonuses)

Alternately, if using smaller farms, at 20 Farmhands the Farmer is able to hire 2 more Foremen (retaining his own Foreman bonus), and give those bonuses out to other farms that aren't large enough to themselves have Foreman bonuses.

At 30 Farmhands, the Farmer becomes the lowest-tier Agricultural Noble, and it is assumed in my calculations that he has Foremen working for him. (375 Plots, 563 with Racial Bonuses).

To put this in perspective, I would want to give an additional bonus/penalty depending on their living quarters, with the best possible conditions being 2/room, and the worst being a military-style barracks where all they have is a bed and a chest.

The stats below reflect my current thinking, and it may change in the future, and at 30 Farmhands (so Foreman+Noble bonus).

So at worst you're looking at 15 rooms with 2 beds, 2 double chests, and 10 items of decoration (includes windows, carpeting, item frames, paintings, etc) giving a 2 (or higher) plot/Farmhand bonus for 450 Plots (675 if Farmhands are Racially optimal) [563 Plots with Foreman/Noble, 843 Racially Optimal].

Or let's say I get crazy generous and 2/room really inspires them and give you +5 plots/Farmhand (with -5 for military barracks):

560 Plots, with 840 if Racially Optimal. So yeah, +5 is a bit high :p

I originally had the numbers at 20-30 plots/Farmhand, but at 600-900 it seemed a bit high and too wide a range.

This progression seems a bit better. When I'm done you'll be able to reach that easily and beyond, but you'll need to do a bit more work.

And the examples show you exactly how potent the current Racial Bonuses are. If I used hypothetical Snootbags (I may just keep that as the Race and build from there--or I may make this race be called Bothans), at 30 farmhands with both a Snootbag Foreman/Noble, you'd get 499 plots, and if you used Racial optimal Farmhands, 749.
This is designed specifically with mega-farms in mind. However, if desired, you can use this scale for an entire Farming community/City instead of only a single Farm. So you'd still have tons of smaller farms, but cumulatively they've got enough pull for an Agricultural Noble/etc.

Some thoughts on Tech/Magic

Both Tech and Magic are something that need to be taught, if it is to be practiced safely.

I will probably make requirements for at the very least teachers of decent Tech/Magic Noble rank if there is a significant presence of a Technological Discipline/School of Magic in a certain area.

This also opens up more builds per mod type than (build a Steve's Carts factory. Build a Tinker's Construct Refinery/Work Room. Build Witchery stuff. Build Blood Magic stuff. (oh yeah, I am showing you just HOW MUCH I know about those two mod. revel in fear at my l33t knowledge. :p).

Whether you make this into something like a one-room schoolhouse, something akin to Hogwarts, or a full-blown Univerisity with both Tech and Magic being taught in the same place, that's up to you (side note--I probably will have a University challenge somewhere :p)

Discussion Points

What do you think of 10 Plots/Farmhand, and Foreman/Nobility bonuses?

What kind of Agriculture Noble-specific bonus buildings/bonus advisors would you like to see?

Are you interested in this/more Seasonal Challenges?

If you guys are, I'd love to keep making more

Beyond making schools for teaching Technological Disciplines/Schools of Magic and rooms/buildings for specific elements of the various Disciplines/Schools, what other types of buildings/people would you like to see?
(as generally and non-mod-specific as possible, please)

Last edited:
Reactions: The Mobius Archives