Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Just because someone 'demands' that you do something, it doesn't mean that you have to. Modders are not slaves to their users. He could keep only caring about his mod stuff and leave cross-mod compatibility to other people if they care enough to.

Basically it wouldn't really harm him in any way. He just does it to continue to try to stick it to Forge. And all he's hurting is players that are interested but unwilling to give up on everything else in modded Minecraft.

That would mean modifying redistributing his work- permissions for that is never going to happen. Also it would harm him- loss of integrity/autonomy, loss of creative/quality control, and opening up a tech support nightmare with multiple versions of his mod floating around. Versions which other people have messed with.

Also;
He just does it to continue to try to stick it to Forge.
With all due respect- did you even read what myself and Ljfa posted?
In additional to his political stance FC has several perfectly good reasons not to use forge.

Reactions: YX33A

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I think you're misunderstanding something here @SynfulChaot
Shame. I do like your mod, but now I must dislike it and recommend against using it on principle. DRM has no place in modded Minecraft, IMHO. It's not the place of one mod to tell people they're not allowed to use another.
That's not what SquidAPI does. It merely checks if the downloaded version is the latest version, since other sites mostly redistribute outdated versions. It doesn't disable other mods.

Reactions: YX33A and CoolSquid

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Would you block it if the only thing it had in common with RoC was the torque/speed mechanic?
I'd wholeheartedly encourage you to build something like this, theres a lot of different ways this could be designed, implemented, and used. (I'd love to see some drive belts/sprockets+chains ect)

Last edited:

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
That would mean modifying redistributing his work- permissions for that is never going to happen. Also it would harm him- loss of integrity/autonomy, loss of creative/quality control, and opening up a tech support nightmare with multiple versions of his mod floating around. Versions which other people have messed with.

He wouldn't lose any integrity or autonomy. If people wanted to 'fix' his mod then they can make one to do that. He wouldn't need to open his up to open/visible source or anything. That puts the onus of that support entirely on the people that want to do that.

With all due respect- did you even read what myself and Ljfa posted?
In additional to his political stance FC has several perfectly good reasons not to use forge.

His politics I can't agree with. But on the other? He still *can* utilize FML and Forge to use those hooks. It shouldn't adversely affect him. And if it doesn't give enough then he can still ASM hook things just like plenty of other modders do when Forge doesn't have the hooks and Lex won't allow it to be added.

Ehm, do you believe I have actually implemented that...?

That's what DRM *is*. If you say you have DRM then that is what people will rightfully assume.

That's not what SquidAPI does. It merely checks if the downloaded version is the latest version, since other sites mostly redistribute outdated versions. It doesn't disable other mods.

That's version control, not DRM. Most mods do that. Great for SSP, but a pain for modpack makers as we need to disable the irritating reminders.

And if that's the case then I can't dislike SquidAPI for having it as it's not DRM.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
It's not plain version control. It's telling you that the website you recieved the file from is illegal. It also hijacks the splash text on the main menu. Many people would call that DRM.

Hijacking the splash I think is going too far, but informing users that they may have gotten malware isn't DRM.

Reactions: YX33A

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
My opinion:

No matter what any of you think, whether you think FlowerChild is good or whether you think FlowerChild is bad, DRM does nothing but hurt the mods involved. Look at TiC and GregTech - did either of those come out of the DRM encounter with an added playerbase or an improved state of mind? And look at Forestry and Technic - sure, it may have been justified, but Technic is good about getting permissions for their first party packs now. If anything, that DRM is only stopping Forestry from being in the new packs that Iskandar is working on.
DRM is inexcusable, no matter who you are. Sure, it might help you win a battle against a certain mod, but in the end, it does nothing but hurt you and the players. I, personally, would've liked a pack with both GregTech and Tinkers' Construct, but I can't have that now. If anything, having a mod with DRM in it is going to remove any chance a mod has of being included in any of my packs. I know it's been removed, but I'm already borderline on having TiC or GT in my packs, because of DRM.
If any mod dev actively supports DRM against anyone, I don't care how justified the cause, their mod will be removed instantly from any of my packs. No further argument. DRM only hurts. It never helps anyone.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
He still *can* utilize FML and Forge to use those hooks. It shouldn't adversely affect him
It would take a considerable amount of time and effort to make that work on a basic technical level.
Doing so would gain nothing for the mod's overall design. [it would still play the same, with more complex code (more bugs) and more dependencies]
Dev time is the most limited and valuable resource in game design, it would be a total waste of his time and skill.

And it would still be incompatible with everything else at a fundamental design level. As a result making it work with other mods will inevitably cost him his design integrity; as it would nullify a lot of the features implemented and scramble the fine tuned balance.

That puts the onus of that support entirely on the people that want to do that.
Except we both know it'll never work that way. People will still direct their tech support at FC. The resultant bugs will still be FC's fault even though he didn't implement that code.
Why? Because its FC's mod. "Better than Wolves- Forge edition" will still say by FlowerChild. You can try directing tech support to your ported thread, but people will still go to FC's thread as well. (how would they know if the bug is FC's or yours?).

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
What about using DRM against malicious mods? If MaliciousMod installs a trojan, I think NotMaliciousMod should be allowed to deactivate and uninstall MaliciousMod. Or would that make you ban NotMaliciousMod from your packs?

Sorry. I gotta agree with Gideon here. DRM is inexcusable. Making a trojan/malware removal tool isn't DRM. Please don't try to conflate useful anti-malware tools with DRM.

I swear, anytime RP2, BTW, or Eloraam is mention, everything goes to hell.

Seems something about those mods/modders just gets people into a state where they can't think logically anymore.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
What about using DRM against malicious mods? If MaliciousMod installs a trojan, I think NotMaliciousMod should be allowed to deactivate and uninstall MaliciousMod. Or would that make you ban NotMaliciousMod from your packs?

You are splitting hairs. It is up to the user to decide what mods they install and whether or not they are willing to accept the risk of world or computer damage. I don't need someone else to decide what I should or should not install.
Sidenote:
Why do you people change your avatars? >.> I keep seing people and going "Who's this? They're popular? How haven't I... oh he just changed his avatar".

This is the first time I've changed mine, I felt it was overdue.
I swear, anytime RP2, BTW, or Eloraam is mention, everything goes to hell.

This one is my fault and I apologize for that.