[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Eyecollector

Jul 29, 2019
I've found an Iridium vein (not this world, but last world), but have never as much as sniffed spessartine.

I have found 4 spessartine veins in the current world. But I have mined a lot. From the most rare, I have found a plutonium vein and a tungstate vein (also a source of manganese), but I haven't found Iridium (there's a bunch of that in the End, though) or a pure manganese vein.

PS: I'm curious what other ores were near Iridium. (it's not even listed in the worldgen config, even if you search by the ID)

Last edited:

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I have found 4 spessartine veins in the current world. But I have mined a lot. From the most rare, I have found a plutonium vein and a tungstate vein (also a source of manganese), but I haven't found Iridium (there's a bunch of that in the End, though) or a pure manganese vein.

PS: I'm curious what other ores were near Iridium. (it's not even listed in the worldgen config, even if you search by the ID)

Platninum and Palladium, I think. It's been a while. And, I found it in config/GregTech/WorldGeneration.cfg:

Code:
            platinum {
                I:Amount_8=8
                B:Mars_true=true
                I:MaxHeight_40=40
                I:MinHeight_20=20
                B:Moon_false=false
                B:Nether_false=false
                I:Ore_85=85
                B:Overworld_false=false
                B:TheEnd_true=true
            }

iridium {
                I:Amount_8=8
                B:Mars_true=true
                I:MaxHeight_40=40
                I:MinHeight_20=20
                B:Moon_false=false
                B:Nether_false=false
                I:Ore_84=84
                B:Overworld_false=false
                B:TheEnd_true=true
            }

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019

Are you playing with GT 5 oregen, or PFAA ?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@MigukNamja and @Tyriael_Soban covered pretty much everything already, but I figured I'd chime in too.

Steam These produce more than enough steam, but I am extremely adverse to setting up charcoal farms for power, and I can't think of any other way of running the boiler without spending all my time mining coal. Also, If I was going to do this I'm not what would be best to use to automate the tree farming. EnderIO Farms are a bit pricy powerwise, and because of reasons I am forbidding myself from using thaumcraft for the moment. Are there other options in this pack?
Sadly I have a hard time picturing myself getting to any point in this pack without steam. There are several mods providing tree-cutting toys, and with with high-efficiency railcraft boilers and high-output GT boilers, its just too powerful to ignore. If you're going to go sans-steam, its going to be an interesting challenge for you.

Diesel generators - I have no oil anywhere even remotely near my base, and without some form of tesseracts (which seem to have been removed from EnderIO in this pack) I do not see a way to get it to my base easily.
Your best bet would be Drums, but these aren't cheap in steel. A good oil well can easily fill 30-40 drums iirc, so be prepared to make multiple trips and set up a chunkloader.

That oil well will produce enough power to last you a very, very long time.

Big Reactors - As I understand it, these produce RF only which cannot be transformed to GT EU or IC2 EU?
Miguk touched on this, but yeah, you have options. The Energy Storage Module (or Cluster) from GC gives the best ratio.

IC2 Nuclear Reactor - This functions in this pack, right? And can be converted to GT EU with a transformer? This is the most appealing option I have found so far, but I was really hoping to stick purely to GT as much as possible until I reach endgame. Is there a GT nuclear system? I cannot seem to find it in NEI but I know have seen it mentioned before somewhere.
Gregtech does not have a nuclear fission system, and the nuclear fusion system has not yet been re-implemented in GT5. (fingers crossed though, there's rumours it has his attention these days)

Solar Panels (GT, not the IC2 one) - I'm confused by this one. I can only find a recipe for the simplest one in NEI. I assume then that all the bigger ones are disabled in this pack? Is that correct? And the simplest one isn't really going to be able to do much is it? (I assume you'd have to build a zillion of them and it would risk seriously lagging the server)
You're right, the "buff" ones are disabled. I sometimes use the small ones for outlying farms and such, but otherwise they're completely avoidable.

• Can I power my Genedustry machines from RF?
Last I checked you could not. Interestingly this is the only mod that I've ever seen take GT power directly. I have no idea if the RF thing is intentional.

SUGGESTION
One thing totally missed above was IC2's interesting biochaff power system. If you want to get into any kind of farming, you can produce biochaff, convert it to biofuel, and get power from that. Of course, that's not a GT solution, but the modpack provides plenty of options for a reason :)

About Big Reactors, I have recently made a pretty good setup. 13x13x4 in size, producing steam (you need a lot of water, I have used 23 Ender IO reservoirs), feeding into 3 RC turbines. From there you can use lossles IC2 HV cable to wherever you want, then MFSU > GT transformer, and you have HV power.
Note that you need quite a bit of resources for this, including being able to make tungstensteel for the reactor.
Sadly you can't make a closed water loop if you're using RC turbines. My 11x11x2 (interior) reactor is only using 4 reservoirs, and I doubt I need all of them.

Since I only have one turbine at the moment, the reactor is operating with rods mostly throttled (90% closed). Even so its producing 7000 RF/T with substandard electric coils. Once its upgraded to Fluxed Electrum and/or Ludicrite, it will be producing at least twice that. And since this reactor can feed 5 more turbines on top of that, we can confidently say 14000RF/t * 6 = 84000 RF/T.

Convert that to EU via Galacticraft and you have 21000 eu/t, and no rotor replacing :)

On the downside (?), these turbines are absolutely massive...

Reactions: Dlur100

Eyecollector

Jul 29, 2019
Are you playing with GT 5 oregen, or PFAA ?

GT 5, afaik. And that config is about the small ore, not mix. But yes, now I remember that mix from the End. I hoped for Osmium, heh.

I wonder if Osmium veins exist, and where. I needed to process over a stack of Iridium ore, in order to have enough Osmium to craft a HV Mass Fabricator. It's the first thing that I'm thinking to use the UU-matter, for.

Sadly you can't make a closed water loop if you're using RC turbines. My 11x11x2 (interior) reactor is only using 4 reservoirs, and I doubt I need all of them.

Since I only have one turbine at the moment, the reactor is operating with rods mostly throttled (90% closed). Even so its producing 7000 RF/T with substandard electric coils. Once its upgraded to Fluxed Electrum and/or Ludicrite, it will be producing at least twice that. And since this reactor can feed 5 more turbines on top of that, we can confidently say 14000RF/t * 6 = 84000 RF/T.

Convert that to EU via Galacticraft and you have 21000 eu/t, and no rotor replacing :)

Oh, yes, I used your design, for the reactor. I meant 13x13x4 exterior. I have made a lot of testing, but yours seemed the most efficient. I haven't got my head around the whole feeding thing or whatever it's called.

I was aware of this Big Reactor Turbine > GC setup, but I still opted for the less material intensive setup, for starters. I would need a whole lot more for the turbine, and also to see what Galacticraft is all about.

The output seems amazing, though, almost cheaty :D. Thanks for the tips.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I wonder if Osmium veins exist, and where. I needed to process 2 stacks and 16 of Iridium ore, in order to have enough Osmium to craft a HV Mass Fabricator. It's the first thing that I'm thinking to use the UU-matter, for.
Funny I was actually looking at Osmium last night because I think its required for the 32k eu/t machines. I believe your best bet for osmium is actually leveraging Chalcopyrite through the extra recipes added by IHL. After you ore-wash chalco, you can put it in a chemical reactor with...stuff...I forget...and get a product that you can process (again) for 60% at a number of rare small dusts including Osmium.

Edit: Oh here, it is. Simple, huh? :p

I haven't got my head around the whole feeding thing or whatever it's called.
Its actually extremely simple. My turbine is flush up against the reactor. The reactor itself has FOUR fluid ports: 2 for outputing steam (I have no idea if 2 are necessary, but I did 2) and 2 for inputing water. Those water-inputs just happen to be flush up against 2 fluid ports on the turbine which are outputing water. So when the turbine transforms steam back into water, that water goes straight back into the turbine. Loop closed.

My reservoirs don't even animate anymore; they were used to initialize the loop, now they just look pretty.

Reactions: gallowglass

Eyecollector

Jul 29, 2019
Funny I was actually looking at Osmium last night because I think its required for the 32k eu/t machines. I believe your best bet for osmium is actually leveraging Chalcopyrite through the extra recipes added by IHL. After you ore-wash chalco, you can put it in a chemical reactor with...stuff...I forget...and get a product that you can process (again) for 60% at a number of rare small dusts including Osmium.

Edit: Oh here, it is. Simple, huh? :p

I saw the recipe, but for rather small amounts, the Iridium route seems a bit faster than building an entire factory for it. Although I didn't do the math, seems like you make quite a bit, I expected less.

Its actually extremely simple. My turbine is flush up against the reactor. The reactor itself has FOUR fluid ports: 2 for outputing steam (I have no idea if 2 are necessary, but I did 2) and 2 for inputing water. Those water-inputs just happen to be flush up against 2 fluid ports on the turbine which are outputing water. So when the turbine transforms steam back into water, that water goes straight back into the turbine. Loop closed.

My reservoirs don't even animate anymore; they were used to initialize the loop, now they just look pretty.

No, not the turbine, I meant the interior of the reactor, with the arrangement of the iron (diamond) blocks and the rods.

EchoingZen

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, lighting... how do I do it? I'm just not finding enough coal to make a decent number of torches. Lignite coal doesn't seem to have any early game use. I can't make charcoal with logs... I'm sort of at a loss. My current way of getting coal is to kill the melee skeletons.

Eyecollector

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, lighting... how do I do it? I'm just not finding enough coal to make a decent number of torches. Lignite coal doesn't seem to have any early game use. I can't make charcoal with logs... I'm sort of at a loss. My current way of getting coal is to kill the melee skeletons.

You can make charcoal in coke ovens and you can make torches with that, or with resin. You can also keep looking for a surface coal vein.

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
You can make charcoal in coke ovens and you can make torches with that, or with resin. You can also keep looking for a surface coal vein.

@EchoingZen Yes, you will want to build coke ovens as early as possible. You put wood (raw, not planks) in them and the coke oven slowly turns it into charcoal. They only require bricks (smelted clay) and sand. Just need some vanilla cobblestone furnaces, wood to fire it up, and clay to make the bricks.

Before that, though, if you've found some IC2 rubber trees, chop those down and you can usually get 2 or 3 sticky resins from each one. Each resin is good for 4 torches. And, there's always surface coal, though that may not be easy to find, depending upon the biomes around you.

Reactions: EchoingZen

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Once its upgraded to Fluxed Electrum and/or Ludicrite, it will be producing at least twice that.

Ludicrite is a big upgrade, but Fluxed Electrum is not much more efficient/powerful than gold.

Downside ? DOWNSIDE ?!?! That's a big selling point for me. I like building big stuff, especially ones that look cool and spin.

EchoingZen

Jul 29, 2019
@EchoingZen Yes, you will want to build coke ovens as early as possible. You put wood (raw, not planks) in them and the coke oven slowly turns it into charcoal. They only require bricks (smelted clay) and sand. Just need some vanilla cobblestone furnaces, wood to fire it up, and clay to make the bricks.

Before that, though, if you've found some IC2 rubber trees, chop those down and you can usually get 2 or 3 sticky resins from each one. Each resin is good for 4 torches. And, there's always surface coal, though that may not be easy to find, depending upon the biomes around you.
I didn't know about the IC2 resin. I think that might be my best option in my current world, since I already have a small farm. Thanks!

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ludicrite is a big upgrade, but Fluxed Electrum is not much more efficient/powerful than gold.
On the contrary, switching just 1/4 of my coils to Fluxed has substantially increased my output, from around 5k to 7k. Looking at the list, its not surprising.

Downside ? DOWNSIDE ?!?! That's a big selling point for me. I like building big stuff, especially ones that look cool and spin.
Hence my question marks. I love them :) But anyone hoping to switch from RC Turbines to BR is gonna have to re-think their layout a tad!

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
GT boilers frankly, are good for a "turbo boost" on steam production and nothing more - they burn through so much fuel it just isnt worth it - though i will note that you can recycle your bronze blast furnace plated brick blocks to make part of the large bronze boilers shell.
Using Large Bronze Boiler is the worst you can do. All Large Boilers use the same amount of fuel, but the Tungstensteel boiler produces 2.5x as much Steam. The Tungstensteel boiler is even a little bit more efficient as an full size RC boiler. Before you can affort a tungstensteel or at last a titanium boiler, RC boilers are better. Also do not use Fuel or Ethanol in Large Boilers. Refined fuels burn less efficient in them.
But RC Turbines are certainly better then GT Turbines (2x efficiency) and it is also possible to pump out some of the water from the RC turbines to reuse it.
I wonder if Osmium veins exist, and where. I needed to process over a stack of Iridium ore, in order to have enough Osmium to craft a HV Mass Fabricator. It's the first thing that I'm thinking to use the UU-matter, for.
Why HV Mass Fabricator? Start with LV, 7 Osmium reqired to start replicating it. With enough scrap, even a LV mass fabricator/replicator can replicate another 7-8 Osmium in about 24h.

Eyecollector

Jul 29, 2019
Why HV Mass Fabricator? Start with LV, 7 Osmium reqired to start replicating it. With enough scrap, even a LV mass fabricator/replicator can replicate another 7-8 Osmium in about 24h.

I already have an LV Mass Fabricator, working on creosote oil, but it is very slow. I'm not sure what to use for scrap, I was thinking of cactus, but I would need a pretty big farm, to run the recycler non-stop.

Already made the HV Mass Fabricator and I'm using the Big Reactor > RC turbines setup to power it. Honestly, I didn't check how many LV Mass Fabricators I would need to match the HV speed, but I usually liked a smaller setup, and the feel of "advancement".

Later edit: Some numbers - the LV Mass Fab is making 1 mb of UU-matter every 160s, the HV 1 every 40s. The LV costs 8 osmium, the HV one 16 osmium. Although power-wise, waw.. that is kind of stupid.

Last edited:

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
The LV costs 4 Osmium ;)

Creosote for energy gen?

I currently make scrap from wood pulp. 6-7 pulp per Wood block and easy to produce a lot of. Also unneeded (like wax) or overprduction from bees help a lot.
With Scrap -> UU Amplifier, an LV Mass Fabricator needs 40 sec per 1mB. That makes 11,4 Osmium per Day when the base is chunkloaded.

When i build my fist scrap prod, i used GT Plank covers for scrap. 25 per Wood Block, but Greg instantly put them on the recycler blacklist after he saw my setup... :(

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Guys, silly question: at some point did various metal Block-type items get removed from GregTech? Apparently we used to be able to make Titanium blocks and such (which would be compatible with big reactors), but they don't seem to exist anymore in NEI nor does the block-extruder-shape work with titanium as expected.

Eyecollector

Jul 29, 2019
The LV costs 4 Osmium ;)

Creosote for energy gen?

I currently make scrap from wood pulp. 6-7 pulp per Wood block and easy to produce a lot of. Also unneeded (like wax) or overprduction from bees help a lot.
With Scrap -> UU Amplifier, an LV Mass Fabricator needs 40 sec per 1mB. That makes 11,4 Osmium per Day when the base is chunkloaded.

When i build my fist scrap prod, i used GT Plank covers for scrap. 25 per Wood Block, but Greg instantly put them on the recycler blacklist after he saw my setup... :(

Not really. I have a forestry tree farm pumping wood in 30 coke ovens, that's my creosote source. With that I power an RC boiler, and from there I can power a few stuff without using any charcoal, like the tree farm itself, a centrifuge for making methane out of the apples, fermenter/still for making ethanol from the overflow of saplings, a compressor (I really want a bedrockium drum, but they don't seem intended for the compressor, instead of just using the crafting grid; it takes ages) and an LV Mass Fabricator.

I really don't get what Greg intends to be used for scrap. Consuming an wood block every 6 seconds seems a bit much for me, still. That wood block can give me power, instead, not to mention that I have to power the recycler and amplifabricator. And 1 LV recycler can make enough for 1 LV Mass Fabricator, there is no way you can get enough items to fuel a bunch. But I may be wrong, I just rushed to make the fastest setup.

You are right, 4 Osmium.

andrej88

Jul 29, 2019

Spessartine veins ARE manganese veins. AFAIK all of this is true in this pack. The only three ores which contain manganese as a non-byproduct, and that spawn by default, are spessartine, tantalite, and pyrolusite, and they all spawn together, along with grossular.

Seriously, that page is like a GregTech bible. The book of Gregorius, if you will.

Kieroshark

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all the help guys. It is really much appreciated. I think I have a good idea of where to go from here now.

Gonna buckle down and set up a charcoal farm now. (I had forgotten about forestry farms too, I like those.)

Ethanol and creosote are both good ideas I hadn't thought of. Ethanol in particular sounds really interesting, and I've never done it before.

Biochaff also sounds very interesting. I haven't delved into IC2 crop breeding since I was first getting into modded minecraft, so It'd be fun to give it another go, and if I can get power out of it too, that sounds even better.

Using GC to bridge EU and RF sounds useful as heck too.

Thanks everyone!