Mage Quest's Feedback and Discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
This thread is for discussion and feedback on FTB's Mage Quest.

As with all of FTB's 1.7.10 modpacks, no more further development, and no further releases of this pack are planned. Unless, of course, some mod develops a huge, game breaking issue. But I doubt it.

This thread is not for reporting mod related bugs. There's another thread for that. http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/ftb-mage-quest-alpha-bug-reports.51204/

Last edited:

Themrowlpie

Jul 29, 2019
Weeping Angels is a broken mess, I'd suggest removing it. Instant kills in the nether, and a chance for instant kills in the overworld. Also, there's a rather nasty bug with attempting to give yourself an Archmagus mana potion (4141) through give commands that makes the world unplayable.

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a server for it yet?

There's no official server yet, but it's easy enough to whip one together with a little know-how. I'm running an unofficial official server for the Lit team, so can confirm all the mods work well on a server- asides from WTP and Journeymap, since they're both client-side only.

Themrowlpie

Jul 29, 2019
Already finding issues with the quests. Going down the Witchery path, the quest "Messing with the Six Plains" is unable to be completed, as the quest refers to crafting Mutandis a different way than the current version of Witchery allows.

The quest calls for crafting Wood Ash, an egg, a Mandrake Root, cactus green, bonemeal and a Hint of Rebirth in a crafting table, while the only way to actually obtain Mutandis involves tossing a mandrake root, an egg, and Exhale of the Horned One into a witches cauldron. The "manual submit" option isn't there for this quest and the Quest Delivery system will only bind to "House Lexamani Reputation". The quest is unable to be completed and I cannot advance down the quest tree.

Reactions: Bashful Giant

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Already finding issues with the quests. Going down the Witchery path, the quest "Messing with the Six Plains" is unable to be completed, as the quest refers to crafting Mutandis a different way than the current version of Witchery allows.

The quest calls for crafting Wood Ash, an egg, a Mandrake Root, cactus green, bonemeal and a Hint of Rebirth in a crafting table, while the only way to actually obtain Mutandis involves tossing a mandrake root, an egg, and Exhale of the Horned One into a witches cauldron. The "manual submit" option isn't there for this quest and the Quest Delivery system will only bind to "House Lexamani Reputation". The quest is unable to be completed and I cannot advance down the quest tree.

Ah, that's completely my fault. Not only am I in charge of bug fixing, but I wrote those quests! I used a previous version of Witchery, where crafting was the way to do it. It must have changed without me noticing. It's an easy fix- I'll do it for the next release.

As a workaround for now, use /hqm edit to cheat around the quest.

Last edited:

Dajukester

Jul 29, 2019
There's no official server yet, but it's easy enough to whip one together with a little know-how. I'm running an unofficial official server for the Lit team, so can confirm all the mods work well on a server- asides from WTP and Journeymap, since they're both client-side only.
I've tried making one but had a strange error. Even with the same exact mods (i had removed the WTP and Journeymap, but had also added some mods including: Twilight Forest, Bibliocraft, DragonAPI, GeoStrata, and Better Storage) i got an error in which it said i was fatally missing blocks.

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
@Dajukester There is a server version coming- I believe Prog is waiting for a Stable release before pushing it to the launcher. I have no idea what could be causing your problem though :/

@Themrowlpie I believe Jadedcat's aware of Weeping Angels. Remember, she's evil for a reason :D

As for the quests, we've got one or two immediate changes in the pipeline
  • Thaumcraft quests are being re-written
  • Blood Magic is being expanded upon (may not be ready for the next release)
  • Witchery is getting a new quest to deal with the new mechanic of Cauldrons. The Mutandis quest is getting tweaked to adjust for this.
And of course, Tier 2 quests will come in a future release.

Last edited:

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Weeping Angels is a broken mess, I'd suggest removing it. Instant kills in the nether, and a chance for instant kills in the overworld. Also, there's a rather nasty bug with attempting to give yourself an Archmagus mana potion (4141) through give commands that makes the world unplayable.
Since Bashful took the first part already --
Is the Archmagus bug a "known" bug? Have you reported it to the mod author? ... Why would you even be doing this...?
  • Blood Magic is being expanded upon (may not be ready for the next release)
And of course, Tier 2 quests will come in a future release.
Not to confuse anyone: let's give it up for... Tier 6 altars! *slowclap* Coming soon...

@Bashful Giant is this the place for users to put bugs / crash reports? Or should that be a different thread?

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Since Bashful took the first part already --
Is the Archmagus bug a "known" bug? Have you reported it to the mod author? ... Why would you even be doing this...?
Not to confuse anyone: let's give it up for... Tier 6 altars! *slowclap* Coming soon...

@Bashful Giant is this the place for users to put bugs / crash reports? Or should that be a different thread?

I skimmed. Guilty- I'm tired! I believe there's a Mage Quest bug forum thread somewhere else in the forum. Try to keep it to Quest related bugs :)

Also, if you guys could give feedback on the quests themselves, then I could sleep happy.

Speaking of sleep...

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
I skimmed. Guilty- I'm tired! I believe there's a Mage Quest bug forum thread somewhere else in the forum. Try to keep it to Quest related bugs :)

Also, if you guys could give feedback on the quests themselves, then I could sleep happy.

Speaking of sleep...
Ahah: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/ftb-mage-quest-alpha-bug-reports.51204/
After your evil catnap, can you put this in the OP perhaps?
And it turns out the other guy did already report the Archmagus bug... *selfslap*

Maffeo404

Jul 29, 2019
Never used HQM before but this pack looks neat. I do have question about the design. Looks like once I pick a path I am locked outta the others. Will I be able to go pack and do them?

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Never used HQM before but this pack looks neat. I do have question about the design. Looks like once I pick a path I am locked outta the others. Will I be able to go pack and do them?

Each house also has a second house linked to them. Once your reps high enough with the second house, you can also do their quests. But that's it- at least for tier 1. We're working on tier 2, but I think (not 100% on this yet) we're locking you to only one tier 2 house. This doesn't have to be the same house as you completed in tier 1.

From a design point of view, reasons as for the locking will all make sense once we release the next tier of quests. It does mean that multiple playthroughs and worlds are required and encouraged to play through all the content. This is a @Jadedcat modpack after all. She wouldn't want things to be simple now..

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
That is interesting. Have you guys decided what houses are linked?

Yup- the quest to unlock a second house should show up at the bottom of the first chapter once it's unlocked.

This feature may change soon- not sure I like this quest auto-completing when your rep is high enough. Makes it seem mandatory to do two houses- this is definately not the case! I may also remove the linked house requirement- giving the player more choice. However, since certain houses have rivalries, it won't be a completely open choice...

Last edited:
Reactions: tatsu011

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Yup- the quest to unlock a second house should show up at the bottom of the first chapter once it's unlocked.

This feature may change soon- not sure I like this quest auto-completing when your rep is high enough. Makes it seem mandatory to do two houses- this is definately not the case! I may also remove the linked house requirement- giving the player more choice. However, since certain houses have rivalries, it won't be a completely open choice...

The one thing that has to remain, they can't complete more than 1 set or primary quests. otherwise we lose the replayability. Leave it as 2 houses per playthrough, and people have a reason to replay it.

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
The one thing that has to remain, they can't complete more than 1 set or primary quests. otherwise we lose the replayability. Leave it as 2 houses per playthrough, and people have a reason to replay it.

It turns out I was talking about changing those quests to what they are already. It was just a bug my end that each thing was only linked to one house. I'm adding a submit task though, to prevent unwanted auto-completion.

Last edited:

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
It turns out I was talking about changing those quests to what they are already. It was just a bug my end that each thing was only linked to one house. I'm adding a submit task though, to prevent unwanted auto-completion.

That's odd, I swear I converted all of them to submit. Wonder if that got mixed up in the swapping files back and forth thing.

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
That's odd, I swear I converted all of them to submit. Wonder if that got mixed up in the swapping files back and forth thing.
Don't worry- it'll be fixed in the next release. Added the consume tasks for the previous quests to the rep unlocks as a safeguard. I've also locked each house from unlocking their own house with house rep- because I'm sure someone out there's gonna try it. I'll pass on the house rivalry lockout.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Don't worry- it'll be fixed in the next release. Added the consume tasks for the previous quests to the rep unlocks as a safeguard. I've also locked each house from unlocking their own house with house rep- because I'm sure someone out there's gonna try it. I'll pass on the house rivalry lockout.

Yeah that was how I had it set up on the last round I adjusted. Course then life went sideways.