FTB - Curse Update

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
We are no longer developing the 2.0 launcher. We are continuing development on the current launcher until the Curse client is ready, tested and we are happy to switch to it. So for now at least we are going to be continuing development on the current launcher. I've got a few cool features that I hope to add soon!
How much work do you do? XD I think you should give yourself a launcher developer title as well. ;)

Erik3003

Jul 29, 2019
Please no new Curse-Forums! Every curse site I visited was (and is) basically crap. I don't like curseforge (Minecraft and KSP) or any curse forum (the minecraft forum) because the downloading speed is slower than slow and most importantly the thread creation tools are the worst ones I ever used... I'm fine if you do the Launcher or the website but please not the forums.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
...This announcement was made back in March, bro. If they were gonna migrate this place to Curse, they prolly would've done it several months ago.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
...This announcement was made back in March, bro. If they were gonna migrate this place to Curse, they prolly would've done it several months ago.
Please no new Curse-Forums! Every curse site I visited was (and is) basically crap. I don't like curseforge (Minecraft and KSP) or any curse forum (the minecraft forum) because the downloading speed is slower than slow and most importantly the thread creation tools are the worst ones I ever used... I'm fine if you do the Launcher or the website but please not the forums.
Nope, there are still plans to move to cobalt (the curse forum software) but it wont be happening until me and slowpoke have signed off on it so it'll have to match what we've got now or it wont be happening

Reactions: Padfoote

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Wait...so you're still gonna go to the Curse software, but not until it is, or can be made to be (on the frontend, at least), functionally near-identical to what we have now? Why move to Curse, then? Is that a requisite to be considered part of their network or something?

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, there are still plans to move to cobalt (the curse forum software) but it wont be happening until me and slowpoke have signed off on it so it'll have to match what we've got now or it wont be happening

I don't know if Cobalt is the same as what MCF uses, but if so, I sincerely hope you guys don't switch to that. The post editor that they use now is just terrible, and it's been that way for months. I edit large posts for mods or multi-quote to several people, and all I ever seem to do is fight with it every time I try to use it nowadays. Every time I click to save on an edited post I genuinely worry that it'll be completely messed up. And I've seen other people complain about it enough to know that I'm not alone.

Whatever MCF used to use, and what FTB currently uses, is just fine though!

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if Cobalt is the same as what MCF uses, but if so, I sincerely hope you guys don't switch to that. The post editor that they use now is just terrible, and it's been that way for months. I edit large posts for mods or multi-quote to several people, and all I ever seem to do is fight with it every time I try to use it nowadays. Every time I click to save on an edited post I genuinely worry that it'll be completely messed up. And I've seen other people complain about it enough to know that I'm not alone.

What's weird is that the Gamepedia forums don't have this issue, and they are nearly identical to the MCF, apparently.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019

None of those forums run on Curse software as far as I am aware. They all run on software chosen by those communities.

CurseForge download speeds average under 3 secs for me. So I am not sure what would cause you to have slow downloads. Aside from that "basically crap" doesn't really say anything that can be fixed.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Terraria forum is a curse forum on XenForo, like jaded said some of them are different.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
What's weird is that the Gamepedia forums don't have this issue, and they are nearly identical to the MCF, apparently.
None of those forums run on Curse software as far as I am aware. They all run on software chosen by those communities.

CurseForge download speeds average under 3 secs for me. So I am not sure what would cause you to have slow downloads. Aside from that "basically crap" doesn't really say anything that can be fixed.

We would be switching to the same software as minecraft forum, which currently runs curses own forum software, cobalt. I will personally be going over all the features in xenforo (what we use now) and making sure that if they are needed they are implemented in the new forum to the same standard we currently use. I hope to open up a test forum for everyone to go play with and give suggestions to where we should improve it before we move anything permanently. As for the slow downloads I'm not sure how you are having that problem, I have to say of the issues it has for me at least speed is not one of them.

As for gamepedia it runs on different software and servers so that's why it's quite different!

PS. If the WYSIWIG editor is really that bad it's not a big job to just swap it out for an off the shelf one so don't worry about that :)

Erik3003

Jul 29, 2019
We would be switching to the same software as minecraft forum, which currently runs curses own forum software, cobalt. I will personally be going over all the features in xenforo (what we use now) and making sure that if they are needed they are implemented in the new forum to the same standard we currently use. I hope to open up a test forum for everyone to go play with and give suggestions to where we should improve it before we move anything permanently. As for the slow downloads I'm not sure how you are having that problem, I have to say of the issues it has for me at least speed is not one of them.

As for gamepedia it runs on different software and servers so that's why it's quite different!

PS. If the WYSIWIG editor is really that bad it's not a big job to just swap it out for an off the shelf one so don't worry about that :)
Apparently the slow download speeds just apply to KSP-mods-forge thing while downloading around 200mb, I'm sorry for this misinformation of mine... And yes, the WYSIWIG editor is really that bad, keeping this one is better IMO.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
I personally think that when this forum switches over to Curse, it should keep using the system it's using right now. The site is easy to navigate, it's easy to imbed pictures and videos in your posts, and specific member-to-member interaction is fun and easy.
I will personally be going over all the features in xenforo (what we use now) and making sure that if they are needed they are implemented in the new forum to the same standard we currently use. I hope to open up a test forum for everyone to go play with and give suggestions to where we should improve it before we move anything permanently.
The whole idea is that the new forum will have equivalent or better features than the current one.
Plus, the test server would allow you to suggest anything you think is lacking, before the actual forums start running on Cobalt.

Unrelated thought I just had: will all the threads from the current forum be copied over to the new system, or will people have to start fresh?

Reactions: Padfoote

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
My guess is that the underlying database would be copied over. It might take a little while, since it may very well be quite large, but it should be fairly easily-done. Assuming the Curse software operates using the same database format, or could be extended to use whatever format we're currently using, all you'd need to change (if anything) would be any queries that have been set up.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
My guess is that the underlying database would be copied over. It might take a little while, since it may very well be quite large, but it should be fairly easily-done. Assuming the Curse software operates using the same database format, or could be extended to use whatever format we're currently using, all you'd need to change (if anything) would be any queries that have been set up.
What are the chances of two different forums using exactly the same structure though, down to names of databases and columns? Someone would have to write some kind of conversion program, my question was pretty much whether anyone was going to be bothered doing that.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
What are the chances of two different forums using exactly the same structure though, down to names of databases and columns? Someone would have to write some kind of conversion program, my question was pretty much whether anyone was going to be bothered doing that.
I think Captainanna will probably end up doing that. XD

Reactions: Nerixel

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019

If forum software is anything like most other software that sees a lot of (re)use, its kept to a certain standard. Besides, so long as the databases are the same format, all you need to do is, if the software is any good, change which columns and tables the software queries for a given purpose. Yeah, it'll take work, but you're making it sound like its some monolithic endeavour that's sure to consume months of time. At most, it'd probably take a small team at most 2-3 weeks between actually doing the switchover and initial testing to ensure things are working properly.

Changing queries is cumbersome, but likely not difficult unless you're using some esoteric query language. My guess is they're either using SQL or jQuery, which is what (from what I've seen) most people use.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
If forum software is anything like most other software that sees a lot of (re)use, its kept to a certain standard. Besides, so long as the databases are the same format, all you need to do is, if the software is any good, change which columns and tables the software queries for a given purpose. Yeah, it'll take work, but you're making it sound like its some monolithic endeavour that's sure to consume months of time. At most, it'd probably take a small team at most 2-3 weeks between actually doing the switchover and initial testing to ensure things are working properly.

Changing queries is cumbersome, but likely not difficult unless you're using some esoteric query language. My guess is they're either using SQL or jQuery, which is what (from what I've seen) most people use.
It's not reusing software, my understanding is that it's completely different software.

I don't claim to have made it sound anything like that, you drew conclusions. I know very well that it's possible and likely relatively easy, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered asking.

Edit: A side note, jQuery isn't a database query language. As far as I can tell, it's not even slightly relevant to this.

Last edited:

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Aah, apologies if I caused any offense, then. I don't claim to know everything about databases and the various ways of interacting with them...honestly, I haven't spent much time in that particular area of study. Well, kind of...I dunno, that whole area's screwy and I might have been accidentally creating my own kinds of databases without actually knowing it.

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
Will it be possible to post and interact on the new forum if Javascript is disabled? Like right now, all I see is a simple text box. Something Curse has yet to even get right on their cobalt software.