Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ever notice just how very similar the console crafting is to SHIFT+? from NEI?

The fact that vanilla offers no better solution to isolate Redstone signals than repeaters, and that no mod has come up with an alternative to vanilla redstone for distance based redstone levels. Well, except for Buildcraft, but that's kind of expensive.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
and that no mod has come up with an alternative to vanilla redstone for distance based redstone levels.

Seriously? Distance based redstone is retarded IMO, and don't get me started on pneumaticraft using it to control things, utterly idiotic, a needless waste of space and a daft way to increase "complexity"

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Seriously? Distance based redstone is retarded IMO, and don't get me started on pneumaticraft using it to control things, utterly idiotic, a needless waste of space and a daft way to increase "complexity"
You know, not everything's about compaction? I think it's great if a mod requires you to make a big, complex setup, to challenge you when it comes to your base, and constructing the machines as well.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
You know, not everything's about compaction? I think it's great if a mod requires you to make a big, complex setup, to challenge you when it comes to your base, and constructing the machines as well.
Nowhere did I say anything that all mods should be magic single blocks... If you'd bothered to check the builds in my sig, or even slightly known me from my presence here before making an assumption you would've seen that I think big, complex, challenging builds that require thought to construct are great. However using redstone power and some daft little equations to add "complexity" to your mod is a bad mechanic IMO.

Reactions: Pyure

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is that Thaumcraft works on pressure, but it's a negative pressure. So instead of positive pressure which is from the point of entry, IE the Alembic, it's negative, which is destination, IE the jar. Labels increase suction, but the best way is only one possible option, so you only have potentia, or whatever aspect in that tube. Which I believe is the reason for the crystallizer in the newest version.
I'll be happy when the current world on which my server is playing has run its course and we move to 1.7. Why? One reason, one mod: Thaumic Energistics. Transporting freaking essentia with AE like. A. BOSS.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Nowhere did I say anything that all mods should be magic single blocks... If you'd bothered to check the builds in my sig, or even slightly known me from my presence here before making an assumption you would've seen that I think big, complex, challenging builds that require thought to construct are great. However using redstone power and some daft little equations to add "complexity" to your mod is a bad mechanic IMO.
First of all, chill.
What's wrong with the redstone mechanics? I find that it fits really nicely with MC in general if you can sue comparators or whatever, because it presents challenges with making it as small as possible for the redstone device, rather than just an easy-win red alloy wire or something, with single-block gates which all go on walls and ceilings.

Reactions: trajing

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
First of all, chill.
What's wrong with the redstone mechanics? I find that it fits really nicely with MC in general if you can sue comparators or whatever, because it presents challenges with making it as small as possible for the redstone device, rather than just an easy-win red alloy wire or something, with single-block gates which all go on walls and ceilings.

Don't make assumptions and stretch my words to what I don't mean.

I don't like distance based redstone, just a personal gripe of mine. Just seems like a complete waste of Mojang's time for no real benefit. As for other vanilla redstone mechanics I have no idea as I've never played vanilla and never will. The things I've used redstone for are impossible under vanilla, they're just too complex. Using something complex(vanilla redstone) to do something simple can be fun, using something simple(modded redstone) to make something complex is more fun...

It just doesn't fit in well with pneumaticraft, there's no challenge to it whatsoever, it just takes up space, looks bad and as I've said before using junior school mathematics to add a veneer of "complexity" is a bad mechanic.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Don't make assumptions and stretch my words to what I don't mean.

I don't like distance based redstone, just a personal gripe of mine. Just seems like a complete waste of Mojang's time for no real benefit. As for other vanilla redstone mechanics I have no idea as I've never played vanilla and never will. The things I've used redstone for are impossible under vanilla, they're just too complex. Using something complex(vanilla redstone) to do something simple can be fun, using something simple(modded redstone) to make something complex is more fun...

It just doesn't fit in well with pneumaticraft, there's no challenge to it whatsoever, it just takes up space, looks bad and as I've said before using junior school mathematics to add a veneer of "complexity" is a bad mechanic.
Actually, the distance mechanic can be useful. For example, by employing some comparators, you can actually compare (Hence the name :p) the inventories of two hoppers, the power levels of two redstone energy cells from TE, and I'm fairly sure similar things from pneumaticraft.

And please, let's do our best to be civil about this. It's quite unpleasant when a simple discussion over a mechanic becomes people feeling actual dislike over what is simply opinions.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, the distance mechanic can be useful. For example, by employing some comparators, you can actually compare (Hence the name :p) the inventories of two hoppers, the power levels of two redstone energy cells from TE, and I'm fairly sure similar things from pneumaticraft.

And please, let's do our best to be civil about this. It's quite unpleasant when a simple discussion over a mechanic becomes people feeling actual dislike over what is simply opinions.

I'm sure you think it's very useful... The thread is about what irks ME about minecraft, distance based redstone and pneumaticrafts entry level maths as a mechanic are 2 of them, a needless complication in my view.

I am being completely civil, I don't dislike you in any way shape or form. However I will call up anyone who extends a statement I made into a straw man argument.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
I'm sure you think it's very useful... The thread is about what irks ME about minecraft, distance based redstone and pneumaticrafts entry level maths as a mechanic are 2 of them, a needless complication in my view.

I am being completely civil, I don't dislike you in any way shape or form. However I will call up anyone who extends a statement I made into a straw man argument.
You're calling someone out on an opinion?

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
I said distance based redstone is daft and pneumaticraft's implementation of it even more so. A perfectly legitimate response to the question "What irks you about minecraft?" You said you like it, fair enough we can agree to disagree and part ways...

HOWEVER

You said:"You know, not everything's about compaction?" that is extending what I said into what I don't mean, the very definition of a straw man argument and this is proceeding exactly like very straw man argument does. I am also mindful that if you have to explain yourself again on an internet forum the point is already lost so Scotty out.

/derail over

Get back to what irritates you about MC:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I think its been a few months since I last posted this on this thread. So. Worldheight. How is it still so limited. I wanna delve too deep. In minecraft I wanna explore vertically, not horizontally. Is that really so much to ask??

PS: this convo has already been had. I'm attempting to re-rail is using my own favorite pet peeve. Yes I know there are (failed) attempts at modding in improved world heights. Its never gonna happen.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Youtubers explaining crafting recipes in detail - I'm not blind, I can see that this thing goes in the middle, those on the sides and these in the corners.
a-freaking-men. I feel like youtube walkthroughs are 10% useful content and 90% useless crafting instructions. Worse is that guy who actually zooms in on the crafting grid and does the crafting slowly. Holy flying fuck, how stupid is your audience? Does anyone still play mods without NEI?
+1
+1
+1

I'd say cubic chunks was a full success. [and yes- someone is rewriting it for modern Minecraft too]
What you'd struggle with is having a crapton of fluff/other mods installed with it.​
I'll have another look at it; last I paid attention (half a year ago?) the impression I got was that it was too problematic to put into any kind of modpack.

Actually, a look at their FAQ:
Q: Is this available as a mod?
A: Not yet! But it will be!

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
a-freaking-men. I feel like youtube walkthroughs are 10% useful content and 90% useless crafting instructions. Worse is that guy who actually zooms in on the crafting grid and does the crafting slowly. Holy flying fuck, how stupid is your audience? Does anyone still play mods without NEI?
You mean Ausyarr? I just watched one of his videos xD

Reactions: Pyure