Rotarycraft Fermenter - How can I control the temperature?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
The handbook and the wiki are mostly just "documentation", i.e. they describe the individual parts. But if you're dissatisfied with the wiki, did you know it is publicly editable? ;)

What you're looking for is a "guide", i.e. a recommendation on how to put the parts together. The handbook doesn't provide this because it leaves the implementation up to the user. Rotarycraft has a lot of horizontal progression, meaning that you can build a lot of the things right away as long as you have the blast furnace. There's just a small number of vertical progression steps where an occasional prerequisite must be fulfilled in order to finish a recipe. As a result, there is no "one path to follow". It's more of a "follow what you need at any given time" kind of thing.

From my experience, the progression can look something like: blast furnace --> dc engine --> fermenter --> gasoline engine --> grinder --> extractor & jet fuel --> turbines & bedrock breaker --> compactor & Reactorcraft entry. As you notice, this list is just a tiny number of the items and blocks in Rotarycraft, because most of them are accessible horizontally at some point in this progression. The actual lineup of hard vertical dependencies as presented here is fairly short.

I did know it was publically editable, but if I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground, I am hardly the one who should be editing it :p. At the moment I am somewhere between the grinder/extractor level. I got 8 performance engines hooked up to shaft junctions to supply me with the shaft power I need for now. I switch my box between speed and torque depending on the need. The "follow what I need" would definitely describe what I am doing. I am still trying to figure out how to move shaft power vertically. Any clues?

Transvector Interfaces. Was the only way I could automate the fermenter in colder climates, use them for item in and out and use actual Fermenter for heat and redstone.[DOUBLEPOST=1412154573][/DOUBLEPOST]

To make the tungsten you need 1350C, gotta chain some engines together into a friction heater to get your first bits.

Funny you should mention that. I was about to post I had figured a work around for that. My fermenters are near a desert biome, but my problem was as follows. Dc engine powering from the back. Import bus on the left. Cooling fin on top. Fire on right. Lever in front. The only way I was gonna automate it was by the interface. I had one of those "ah ha" moments you could say.

I totally recommend an industrial coil instead of engines, since the friction heater works best when torque and speed are identical.

Plus I tried to do it with a microturbine and gearboxes, and it ended up at 1345 degrees *fistshakes* :p

So I just moved it to the nether together with an industrial coil, and suddenly getting the necessary temperature is effortless.

I didn't even think of the industrial coil. Can the bedrock breaker run off the coil once I get that far progression wise?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I'm getting closer to my goal of being able to use hydrokinetic power to run a bedrock breaker in the roof of the nether.

There are...environmental challenges.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
....Eew. ;)

No. Use microturbines and/or Gas Turbines.

Gotcha. If I may ask 2 questions, how do I properly magnetize a tier 2 upgrade? I got the magnetized shaft core, and was running the ac electric engine with a gear box to power it, and was getting nowhere. No charge was going up on it. And what gears transfer shaft power vertically?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Gotcha. If I may ask 2 questions, how do I properly magnetize a tier 2 upgrade? I got the magnetized shaft core, and was running the ac electric engine with a gear box to power it, and was getting nowhere. No charge was going up on it. And what gears transfer shaft power vertically?

1. http://rotarycraft.wikia.com/wiki/Magnetizing_Unit <- Put the upgrade in here, supply it with the required power AND a pulsing redstone signal (I use a basic vanilla 2-clock made with two repeaters, but anything like that works)

2. http://rotarycraft.wikia.com/wiki/Bevel_Gears <- Right click to open the GUI, assign input and output faces as you like according to the colour code (right click holding a screwdriver to flash the colours on each face)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't even think of the industrial coil. Can the bedrock breaker run off the coil once I get that far progression wise?

There is an upgraded industrial coil available that can in fact run a bedrock breaker. But to craft it, you need... wait for it... bedrock :p

2. http://rotarycraft.wikia.com/wiki/Bevel_Gears <- Right click to open the GUI, assign input and output faces as you like according to the colour code (right click holding a screwdriver to flash the colours on each face)

And after you have set your bevel gears to route the power upwards, you can stack normal shafts vertically. Rotate em a few times with a screwdriver if they don't immediately assume vertical mode.

Another alternative would be the belt hub (available in both leather and chain variants, and boy did that sound wrong). It can be used vertically. But normal shafts are honestly cheaper.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Why are you still dead-set on using magnetostatics?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013

Some would say stubborn adherence to old behaviours is a virtue.

Others would point out that it isn't a tradition, merely a nasty habit.

At this point, I'm not sure which other things you can add to try and wean people off them.

Make the tier 5 upgrades require reactorcraft fuel pellets or something, just to be even more annoying.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Let me ask you in return, Reika: why do you have magnetostatic engines in your mod if you dislike people using them? This isn't meant to be an attack, it's an honest question because I've repeatedly seen them annoy you.

There's a problem when magnetostatics are so good they render everything irrelevant, true. Proper balance must be maintained. But proper balance does not equate "the number of remaining magnetostatic using players is zero". If that's what you want to achieve, the only viable solution is removing them entirely. If that's not what you want, though, please stop nagging people about it as if it was. That's just confusing.

You made this an option among many. He chose that as his goal. Let him play his game, I'd say.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyure

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
Why not? What do you have against magnetostatic users? Are you a Magnetist? A Staticnazi?

If you are really THAT concerned people skip regular progression for Magnetostatics, just remove the low power magnetos, leave only the strongest one and make it require such late game things that they HAVE to get through the entire mod before being able to cheese it with RF.

"Play the whole thing the way I want you to. Only then you have my permission to use magnets."

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Let me ask you in return, Reika: why do you have magnetostatic engines in your mod if you dislike people using them? This isn't meant to be an attack, it's an honest question because I've repeatedly seen them annoy you.

There's a problem when magnetostatics are so good they render everything irrelevant, true. Proper balance must be maintained. But proper balance does not equate "the number of remaining magnetostatic using players is zero". If that's what you want to achieve, the only viable solution is removing them entirely. If that's not what you want, though, please stop nagging people about it as if it was. That's just confusing.
The problem is not that people use magnetostatics, is that they try to use nothing else, or as close to it as possible. With the tiering, they now do set up RC machinery and engines, but only as a stepping stone, and then immediately remove it all once they have magnetostatic power.

I am not going to remove them because they do have a place in the mod - and removing them would make RC even less appealing to a lot of users, and result in even more hate than I already get over the nerfs - but I do not want them used more than the rest of the engines combined.

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is not that people use magnetostatics, is that they try to use nothing else, or as close to it as possible. With the tiering, they now do set up RC machinery and engines, but only as a stepping stone, and then immediately remove it all once they have magnetostatic power.

I am not going to remove them because they do have a place in the mod - and removing them would make RC even less appealing to a lot of users, and result in even more hate than I already get over the nerfs - but I do not want them used more than the rest of the engines combined.

I think Electricraft is going to go a long way towards helping with this. Transport and distribution of shaft power is just so much more complicated than almost any other technique. Most modpacks have RF, which excels at transport and distribution. So the magnetostatics are a good complement to RC. Now that electricraft seems to be functional and featureful I look forward to a more RF-less play through in 1.7.10 packs.

I loved the crazy dozens of shaft junctions and bevel gears contraption I made with my oldest son in my recently completed/abandoned play through of Monster that took our the shaft power from our HP turbine and ran several borers, extractors, bedrock breakers, etc. But I can see how that's not for everyone.

Reactions: Reika

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I think Electricraft is going to go a long way towards helping with this. Transport and distribution of shaft power is just so much more complicated than almost any other technique. Most modpacks have RF, which excels at transport and distribution. So the magnetostatics are a good complement to RC. Now that electricraft seems to be functional and featureful I look forward to a more RF-less play through in 1.7.10 packs.

I loved the crazy dozens of shaft junctions and bevel gears contraption I made with my oldest son in my recently completed/abandoned play through of Monster that took our the shaft power from our HP turbine and ran several borers, extractors, bedrock breakers, etc. But I can see how that's not for everyone.
Yes, difficulty in distribution is the reason for the popularity of magnetostatics over shaft power for ReactorCraft, for myself included. RotaryCraft originally had hydraulics (added in 1.6 v13) for this purpose; they were later removed due to being ill-fitting for RC and reimplemented as ElectriCraft in v18.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
1. http://rotarycraft.wikia.com/wiki/Magnetizing_Unit <- Put the upgrade in here, supply it with the required power AND a pulsing redstone signal (I use a basic vanilla 2-clock made with two repeaters, but anything like that works)

I actually have that set up but the upgrade isn't charging. Just checked, forgot to put the magnetized shaft in the AC engine :p.
Bevel Gears ... got it!

Apparently you missed the part where I said I like going for multiple things at once. You are assuming I am just going to stop with my progression into rotarycraft after getting a magnetostatic. You are wrong. Instead of shooting down how "I" want to play, how about trying to help instead of attacking that way I wanna play. I don't attack the way anyone else wants to play, surely it isn't fair that the same gets done to me, right?

You made this an option among many. He chose that as his goal. Let him play his game, I'd say.

Agreed.

Why not? What do you have against magnetostatic users? Are you a Magnetist? A Staticnazi?

If you are really THAT concerned people skip regular progression for Magnetostatics, just remove the low power magnetos, leave only the strongest one and make it require such late game things that they HAVE to get through the entire mod before being able to cheese it with RF.

"Play the whole thing the way I want you to. Only then you have my permission to use magnets."

Sataticnazi ... that made me laugh. I am not really interested in "skipping" progression as you put it, but do want to use it to compliment my current progression.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Yup. Knew that was the case the second I placed one down. I tested this out in my test world by using the CVT, and it was fine after that.

You may know the answer for this. I have two fermenters set up. One is set up to constantly make yeast, provided I have the supplies. The export bus from AE works for that. The other one, I have set to make ethanol crystals, doesn't work with AE for some reason, so I was trying to come up with another way for automating it, if at all possible. Any ideas?
Apply redstone signal to the one producing sludge