[1.7.10] TolkienCraft II - Adventure Awaits! - v2.9.5[QUESTS][ADVENTURE][NORMAL MODE]

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but that still brings something to my attention. When I set those up it was before the tweaks. So will fix those now and get an updated pack submitted, probably within the next couple hours which then should be available shortly after.

Added a ton of quests and finished up some others. Also added in the banker and mailman and finished off the item giver functions of 4 of the mages.

Just remember the update *may* reset customNPC quests

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
:-( ok so the "starting tools" are bye bye.

suggestion to starter stuff. give parts needed for making own weapon/tools along with maybe have a smeltery around the city some where (possibly forge Be a smeltery/steelworks?)
I like the forge idea...i'll start working on that. Otherwise, update submitted, not sure exactly when it will be live, but I changed out all the tools for equivalent tinkers tools.

Also added more quests and updated some NPC's. The creative mode should be fixed as well.

Vals NoisyToys

Jul 29, 2019
I would love it if anyone wanted to do a let’s play to showcase this pack and I know of a couple of servers that will be using this and I plan to list everyone here and at my website as I get their info.

Please add me to that list. :) I have both a Youtube channel, and a Twitch channel under valsnoisytoys. I've been looking for something to switch off to from Agrarian Skies (being doing that since May :p) and I do believe your pack fits the bill.

ETA: erk, I suppose putting the URLs for your convenience would be nice. :p
http://www.youtube.com/user/valsnoisytoys
http://www.twitch.tv/valsnoisytoys

Reactions: GreatOrator

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Please add me to that list. :) I have both a Youtube channel, and a Twitch channel under valsnoisytoys. I've been looking for something to switch off to from Agrarian Skies (being doing that since May :p) and I do believe your pack fits the bill.

ETA: erk, I suppose putting the URLs for your convenience would be nice. :p
http://www.youtube.com/user/valsnoisytoys
http://www.twitch.tv/valsnoisytoys

I'll add you to my subscribe list! Once the videos are up you'll be the first to be added in the OP and thank you for your interest! (just wish the updates would get posted a bit faster)

Hopefully by wednesday I will have a bunch of new quests for an update. Already started on several more.

Reactions: Vals NoisyToys

Vals NoisyToys

Jul 29, 2019
In regards to the music in the modpack, GreatOrator - where does it come from? I'm just worried about content-id stuff (on Youtube primarily) but since Twitch is now muting matched music in VOD files, it is now of concern there as well.

Thanks!

victor pelt

Jul 29, 2019
Im just starting with this pack and it looks awsome. Do you have a list of mods that you are still waiting for (ars magica isnt on 1.7.10 i believe) im trying to decide if i should start now or if there will be top much world regen needed when mods get added. I dont kind beta is there is a fair chance i can do without world resets

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
There are currently only two mods left at this point (well, technically 4). Ars Magica, but witchwood forests are currently disabled but should not affect world gen when added and I am waiting on Aquatic Abyss which will add much more "life" to the oceans. Both however need animation api updated.

The only other mods are logistic pipes and which is waiting on an update to support the newest version of buildcraft and mystcraft which will be key in my plans for transport once you leave the main town.

I have done some basic testing and worldgen overall should not be an issue once these are added, but keep in mind the intent is that the chunks/regions surrounding the initial spawn area be kept clear since future updates will simply overwrite these.

I would be more than happy to have you start as right now being in beta means we can easily fix errors and add new content so input is greatly appreciated.

SECRET-One of the quests in the series will actually provide a way to leave that will be well outside of the regional area.

Vals NoisyToys

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the song from the bard in-game is a midi and as far as I know, is royalty-free but can easily be replaced if an issue. All other music added by me comes from http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/index.html to avoid those issues. Otherwise it comes with the mod itself.

Awesome! I love Kevin's music and use that in my streams. I'll check out the bard song, and maybe I'll replace it with something else just to be on the safe side.[DOUBLEPOST=1410134437][/DOUBLEPOST]
What exactly is happening (or not happening) so I can look into it?
Here's what happened with the quest Delivery, delivery for me.

I talked to the baker, who gave me nothing, except the quest itself to find the farmer. I found the farmer and talked to him, he gave me the Baker's Package, which I then took back to the baker. The baker thanked me, took the package, but the quest itself is still in my quest tab and marked as not completed.

Garret Jax

Jul 29, 2019
Bug reports (V 2.0.2 no modifications beyond starting HQM quest mode ):
Running into a couple of bugs with quests -- seems like there is two different quest systems in place -- one is the HQM quest book, another from talking to people (I've chosen to call that ambient quests for clairity below)

HQM quests can be turned in and reward received, however they still show as having unclaimed reward
HQM Delivery quest - baker is not offering me the package, just offering to sell me stuff -- do i have to have done the ambient kings tour quest first ? If there is linkage between the two quest requirements its a bit unclear to the player.
The ambient quest system seems a bit prone to breakage -- npcs tossing items at me and i didn't have room / notice them throw it mean I'm unable to progress in that quest line

Another minor one, I noticed the spawn point was set to a cave under the fountain with a chest of creative items, looks like it might have been a testing spawn point and not intended to be the primary initial spawn.

Hope this helps, So far having a great deal of fun with this pack

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome! I love Kevin's music and use that in my streams. I'll check out the bard song, and maybe I'll replace it with something else just to be on the safe side.[DOUBLEPOST=1410134437][/DOUBLEPOST]
Here's what happened with the quest Delivery, delivery for me.

I talked to the baker, who gave me nothing, except the quest itself to find the farmer. I found the farmer and talked to him, he gave me the Baker's Package, which I then took back to the baker. The baker thanked me, took the package, but the quest itself is still in my quest tab and marked as not completed.

Aha, Ok, so I think I know what happened and will check on it when I get home in a couple of hours. So to make sure I understand, you did get the quest, the farmer did give you the package, but the quest did not complete when the baker took said package from you....yeah, I believe I know why and will look at it when I get home.

Bug reports (V 2.0.2 no modifications beyond starting HQM quest mode ):
Running into a couple of bugs with quests -- seems like there is two different quest systems in place -- one is the HQM quest book, another from talking to people (I've chosen to call that ambient quests for clairity below)

HQM quests can be turned in and reward received, however they still show as having unclaimed reward
HQM Delivery quest - baker is not offering me the package, just offering to sell me stuff -- do i have to have done the ambient kings tour quest first ? If there is linkage between the two quest requirements its a bit unclear to the player.
The ambient quest system seems a bit prone to breakage -- npcs tossing items at me and i didn't have room / notice them throw it mean I'm unable to progress in that quest line

Another minor one, I noticed the spawn point was set to a cave under the fountain with a chest of creative items, looks like it might have been a testing spawn point and not intended to be the primary initial spawn.

Hope this helps, So far having a great deal of fun with this pack

Ok, so what I need to do is make it clear that not all quests in HQM open up in necessarily the same order as the customNPC quests, yes, you need to follow the npc questline at least until the troll quest in HQM to have it work properly. This is the first time I have seen these used in conjunction, so figuring out how to word the starting quests is helpful.

Glad you are enjoying it so far!

Last edited:

Vals NoisyToys

Jul 29, 2019
Other issues I ran across in my first stream this afternoon, using version 2.0.2.
* I had to do a fresh install (deleted the old folder) because just downloading didn't update the Draconis save file to survival mode. Deleting the entier folder for Tolkiencraft II and redownloading fixed that.
* I started in a 'secret' spot beneath a fountain with a ton of uber goodies in a chest and nothing on my person. I /think/ that must be a testing stuff chest and I shouldn't have access to that. So all I took was the cash (after talking to the king for the first time) and the feather falling boots. :p
* I didn't start with the hqm book in my inventory, so I gave myself that using the command - as I was thinking having started in the 'wrong' spot, I didn't get the right things for starting (ie the quest book et al).
* You don't start in hardcore mode (at least I didn't). I haven't turned that on yet, is it supposed to be on so you have limited lives?
* For the first while in this fresh map, I couldn't click directly on the quest tab after opening the inventory. It'd just vanish as a tab if I did. I would then close and reopen the inventory tab to bring the quest tab back. I had to click on the Factions tab first, then click on the quest tab to see its contents.
* when I spoke to the king, having come from the secret area and manually given myself the quest book, he gave me the quest to go buy stuff but didn't actually give me any money to buy stuff with. So that's when I went back to the secret area and took the cash.
* on the dock outside Draconis, near the horses and wagon, something is constantly dying under the deck. Not sure what it is, but you can hear the damage sound there and it doesn't seem to stop.
* I was somewhat confused when I first traveled to Middle-Earth via Ahab the travel agent. I realize now it might have been generating the world, but since I spawned over water (as I found out on the 2nd visit), on the first visit all I saw was blue, then I started taking damage and all I still saw was blue. So I teleported back to Draconis. 2nd try (without any stuff on me to lose :p) I spawned in the air, splashed into the water, and all was well. So I'm not certain if it was just me being nervous about glitches, or if in fact the first teleport there had an issue.

Question: Is Middle-Earth a region you built? Ie can I do stuff there without worrying about updates losing me stuff I've built etc. If I can't build there, where is it safe to build?

Okay, I think that's all I can think of to report for today. :)

Awesome modpack, I'm really enjoying it and love the look of.. well, everything! :)

--Val

Garret Jax

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe make the HQM ques book a reward from the ambient npc quest where they meet up ? I'm restarting my map and will run the npc quests first then start the hqm ones after

Thanks for the quick reply

Vals NoisyToys

Jul 29, 2019
Aha, Ok, so I think I know what happened and will check on it when I get home in a couple of hours. So to make sure I understand, you did get the quest, the farmer did give you the package, but the quest did not complete when the baker took said package from you....yeah, I believe I know why and will look at it when I get home.

Yes, I got the quest, the farmer did give me the package, and the quest did not get marked as complete when the baker took the package from me.

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Other issues I ran across in my first stream this afternoon, using version 2.0.2.
* I had to do a fresh install (deleted the old folder) because just downloading didn't update the Draconis save file to survival mode. Deleting the entier folder for Tolkiencraft II and redownloading fixed that.
* I started in a 'secret' spot beneath a fountain with a ton of uber goodies in a chest and nothing on my person. I /think/ that must be a testing stuff chest and I shouldn't have access to that. So all I took was the cash (after talking to the king for the first time) and the feather falling boots. :p
* I didn't start with the hqm book in my inventory, so I gave myself that using the command - as I was thinking having started in the 'wrong' spot, I didn't get the right things for starting (ie the quest book et al).
* You don't start in hardcore mode (at least I didn't). I haven't turned that on yet, is it supposed to be on so you have limited lives?
* For the first while in this fresh map, I couldn't click directly on the quest tab after opening the inventory. It'd just vanish as a tab if I did. I would then close and reopen the inventory tab to bring the quest tab back. I had to click on the Factions tab first, then click on the quest tab to see its contents.
* when I spoke to the king, having come from the secret area and manually given myself the quest book, he gave me the quest to go buy stuff but didn't actually give me any money to buy stuff with. So that's when I went back to the secret area and took the cash.
* on the dock outside Draconis, near the horses and wagon, something is constantly dying under the deck. Not sure what it is, but you can hear the damage sound there and it doesn't seem to stop.
* I was somewhat confused when I first traveled to Middle-Earth via Ahab the travel agent. I realize now it might have been generating the world, but since I spawned over water (as I found out on the 2nd visit), on the first visit all I saw was blue, then I started taking damage and all I still saw was blue. So I teleported back to Draconis. 2nd try (without any stuff on me to lose :p) I spawned in the air, splashed into the water, and all was well. So I'm not certain if it was just me being nervous about glitches, or if in fact the first teleport there had an issue.

Question: Is Middle-Earth a region you built? Ie can I do stuff there without worrying about updates losing me stuff I've built etc. If I can't build there, where is it safe to build?

Okay, I think that's all I can think of to report for today. :)

Awesome modpack, I'm really enjoying it and love the look of.. well, everything! :)

--Val
Ok, lots of info (that's awesome)

First, not supposed to be in hardcore mode. My intention was to have a hybrid modded minecraft experience with the fun of a quest system to give it more of an MMO feel (reason for the waypoints and HUDs)

Hopefully going forward it will be a non -issue having to delete the folder but makes sense sort of, since I don't entirely understand how the FTB launcher does it's thing.

I am certainly going to check on the spawn point issue. I removed any references to my character before submitting but maybe the spawnpoint broke so will check into a fix for that (I actually used to have a mod for that, but the minecraft setspawn HAD been working).

The book could be related to the fact that noone is spawning fresh as a first time visitor like they should.

The money for the quest he gives when you first complete meet the king in which he gives just enough to buy the items. and that quest you would/should have gotten from the npc's by the fountain.

Ahab? I do not remember an NPC in place...oh wait...yeeeahhh, forgot about that guy, was considering an alternate method of transport and changed my mined. I'll remove his ability tonight.

The only map I have been working in is the overworld in an effort to keep the download as small as possible. Middle_earth is entirely the creation of the Lord of the Rings mod, so you were a first visitor...:)

A way to download a replacement/updated map would be nice instead of having to re-download the entire modpack would be helpful

I can actually consider that. It would also allow me to expand the areas I build in if it is a separate download...though I wonder if everyone would know exactly what to do with it....

As a side note, today, tomorrow and tuesday are my work days so updates will be a bit slower than my days off, but know I am/will be working on them none-the-less, you guys are really doing an excellent job finding bugs, thank you!

Vals NoisyToys

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, lots of info (that's awesome)

First, not supposed to be in hardcore mode. My intention was to have a hybrid modded minecraft experience with the fun of a quest system to give it more of an MMO feel (reason for the waypoints and HUDs)
<snip>
The only map I have been working in is the overworld in an effort to keep the download as small as possible. Middle_earth is entirely the creation of the Lord of the Rings mod, so you were a first visitor...:)
<snip<
As a side note, today, tomorrow and tuesday are my work days so updates will be a bit slower than my days off, but know I am/will be working on them none-the-less, you guys are really doing an excellent job finding bugs, thank you!

Ok, good to know. :) Not in hardcore mode. I can die all I want! Whoot! Er... wait...

Thank you for the clarification, I shall commence building in Middle-Earth. :)

Ah, thanks for the schedule info. :) To reciprocate, I'm planning on streaming Tolkiencraft II the afternoons of Sun, Wed, and Fri @ 2pm MDT. So you can expect bug reports thrice weekly unless I don't find any. Bugs, that is. :p

I'll add you to my subscribe list! Once the videos are up you'll be the first to be added in the OP and thank you for your interest! (just wish the updates would get posted a bit faster)

Hopefully by wednesday I will have a bunch of new quests for an update. Already started on several more.

Your welcome, and thank you!

I have my first two streams in my Past Broadcasts on Twitch (Part 1 is here http://www.twitch.tv/valsnoisytoys/b/566231146) as well as my tour Highlight for the first day's stream: http://www.twitch.tv/valsnoisytoys/c/5083247 . I'm uploading tours and highlights to Youtube in this playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG5GkVsZly9HLvBCzHvx8wf6A1_7txJBu and the first tour will be published to YT shortly after I post this. :)