1.7.10 FTB Pack News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaes

Jul 29, 2019
words words words words ...

If there will not be any similar pack (especially without HQM because i don't want that mod to "restrict me") then .... i going for Technic platform (simple as that).

more words
I just don't understand why people are getting fired up about the modpacks using the Hardcore Questing mod as a way to lead new players through the mods. The 'disable a mod' feature was brought in so players can play without the mods that they do not want to play with, and now people are complaining about a mod that they do not want to play with. JUST USE THE DISABLE FUNCTION!

*more praise for the FTB team doing this for FREE*

I feel that all i do is repeat myself :/

Reactions: Padfoote

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
For me it a beauty to discover all these mod (i personally played DW20 pack) and i played MC in my own way. I don't like the idea to separated mods in magic and tech just because i like Thaumcraft and Ars Magica which will be really shame not to see in those packs. My hopes (for my play style) are all on 3rd party pack.

So what exactly stops you from playing the 1.7 version of the DW20 pack?

I feel that all i do is repeat myself :/

You can't expect people to read helpful posts, especially if it lowers their chance to complain. ;)

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Well, there aren't Id conflicts in 17, so now you just need to install forge and add mods to the mod folder
The big problem with this is still multiplayer - you'll struggle to find a decent server under these conditions.
Also there is much more to modpack making than fixing IDs. You need to configure mods, set up HQM, oregen and so much more. This doesn't solve that problem. Thankfully we still have the DW20 pack.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
So what exactly stops you from playing the 1.7 version of the DW20 pack?

You can't expect people to read helpful posts, especially if it lowers their chance to complain. ;)

Two problems:

1). Most people are incapable of actually reading these days... It takes too long so they just glance through for "key" points and/or words.

2). Even 100% reading comprehension wouldn't stop the complaining. The only thing that would do that would be a face-to-face discussion. The annonymity afforded by the intranet has led to complaining and trolling becoming national, if not global pastimes.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
For me it a beauty to discover all these mod (i personally played DW20 pack) and i played MC in my own way. I don't like the idea to separated mods in magic and tech just because i like Thaumcraft and Ars Magica which will be really shame not to see in those packs. My hopes (for my play style) are all on 3rd party pack.

If there will not be any similar pack (especially without HQM because i don't want that mod to "restrict me") then .... i going for Technic platform (simple as that).

Or as you say that pack are easy to make then please show me how to do it. Last time i was trying to do it, was pain because of ID conflicts.

As others have said, ID conflicts are gone for the user, so you won't have to worry about that. And if you don't like what HQM is going to be used for, don't use it. No one is forcing you to use it, or even keep it enabled for that matter.
Also there is much more to modpack making than fixing IDs. You need to configure mods, set up HQM, oregen and so much more. This doesn't solve that problem.

Assuming the universal configs are going to be continued, that will make the mod configuration much easier for people combining packs. If it isn't continued, then it's still just as simple as dragging and dropping the config folder in as well as the mod folder.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

The_Hob290

Jul 29, 2019
Just an fyi for those complaining that oregen is one of those huge things you need to fix when making modpacks go to where you would change id conflicts in 1.6 (mod configs) and most mods say things like this:

# Enable generation of copper in the world
enableWorldGenOreCopper=true

You change it to "false" and abracadabra its not spawning so quit complaining

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Just an fyi for those complaining that oregen is one of those huge things you need to fix when making modpacks go to where you would change id conflicts in 1.6 (mod configs) and most mods say things like this:

# Enable generation of copper in the world
enableWorldGenOreCopper=true

You change it to "false" and abracadabra its not spawning so quit complaining

This is not what we mean by oreGen. Typically, we are talking about rewriting and balancing how the world is decorated with a separate utility like Thermal Foundation or COG. Those configs you speak of are there to reduce duplicate ore spawns when multiple mods are installed, or allow pack makers to use a separate utility like the formerly mentioned. In the end, oreGen can make or break a pack design.

However, the types of packs players are grieving about losing are no longer necessary. Monster as literally less than 1% of configuration changes compared BnB unless you include IDs. Removing IDs means anyone can plug and play and change a few things to make them work. Therefore I no longer need to waste my dev time maintaining a convenience pack or universal config set.

\o/

What this ultimately means, for you the end user, is that I can spend more time with testers, tweaking, and working with mod authors to provide a better experience overall. Both in the packs that I provide, and in others due to working with authors.

Now, iF you don't understand the type of work I do for 8 to 16 hours a day, I want you to go out and recreate a pack like

BnB by me
Agrarian Skies by Jadedcat
Madpack by Kehaan
Crash Landing by Iskandar

Or any other pack out there that tries to actually create a different and unique(ish) experience for its users.

No, sorry. The use of what Monster was is dead. Doubly so with things comming in the future.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
This is not what we mean by oreGen. Typically, we are talking about rewriting and balancing how the world is decorated with a separate utility like Thermal Foundation or COG. Those configs you speak of are there to reduce duplicate ore spawns when multiple mods are installed, or allow pack makers to use a separate utility like the formerly mentioned. In the end, oreGen can make or break a pack design.

However, the types of packs players are grieving about losing are no longer necessary. Monster as literally less than 1% of configuration changes compared BnB unless you include IDs. Removing IDs means anyone can plug and play and change a few things to make them work. Therefore I no longer need to waste my dev time maintaining a convenience pack or universal config set.

\o/

What this ultimately means, for you the end user, is that I can spend more time with testers, tweaking, and working with mod authors to provide a better experience overall. Both in the packs that I provide, and in others due to working with authors.

Now, iF you don't understand the type of work I do for 8 to 16 hours a day, I want you to go out and recreate a pack like

BnB by me
Agrarian Skies by Jadedcat
Madpack by Kehaan
Crash Landing by Iskandar

Or any other pack out there that tries to actually create a different and unique(ish) experience for its users.

No, sorry. The use of what Monster was is dead. Doubly so with things comming in the future.

I don't understand.

Out of one corner of your mouth you're saying these hand crafted packs are more desirable to players than those we have seen thus far.

Out of the other corner of your mouth you're saying that players are wrong for being concerned about losing the packs they enjoy.

You say those types of packs "aren't needed," well, obviously they are, or "players" wouldn't be "grieving" them would they?

All of these ideas you guys have, like a tech pack...a magic pack...a this pack...a that pack...kind of turns me off. When I'm in the mood for tech, I still dip my toe into the pool of magic, and vice versa. It's probably a bad example, but it's alright. You guys are going to do what you're going to do regardless what anybody on here says.

I think the tack you guys have chosen will bring you closer to a certain demographic, but distance you from a few others. I hope it works out.

Reactions: RedBoss

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand.

Out of one corner of your mouth you're saying these hand crafted packs are more desirable to players than those we have seen thus far.

Out of the other corner of your mouth you're saying that players are wrong for being concerned about losing the packs they enjoy.

You say those types of packs "aren't needed," well, obviously they are, or "players" wouldn't be "grieving" them would they?

All of these ideas you guys have, like a tech pack...a magic pack...a this pack...a that pack...kind of turns me off. When I'm in the mood for tech, I still dip my toe into the pool of magic, and vice versa. It's probably a bad example, but it's alright. You guys are going to do what you're going to do regardless what anybody on here says.

I think the tack you guys have chosen will bring you closer to a certain demographic, but distance you from a few others. I hope it works out.

I think you miss the point. Packs like Monster were made so players did not need to sort out the massive amount of ID conflicts needed.

That's not needed any more.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I think you miss the point. Packs like Monster were made so players did not need to sort out the massive amount of ID conflicts needed.

Your missing the point. Packs like monster were originally created so that players did not need to sort out the massive amount of ID conflicts needed. They became more over time. They became the foundation of a community. A place where many players gather. That's what FTB has become. A community. These packs you are making are so specialized that they can only drive that community apart.

Reactions: RedBoss

Nephrahim

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, long time lurker, not so frequent poster. I just want to say, I'm excited abut the direction you guys are taking FTB. Like many others here, I often just downloaded whatever pack was biggest (Ultimate, then Unhinged, then Monster) but in retrospect, all the conflicting mod packs made a lot of things harder then they needed to be and I only really used a few mods extensively (Usaly stuff in the IC/BC/Forestry vein, with a few other doo-dads.) so a more focused mod-pack seems like a great idea. Hell, maybe I'd actually try out the magic stuff if the magic pack felt really well made and could stand on it's own (Which is what I assume you guys will aim for.)

So yeah, to repeat, I like the direction you guys are going. I'm excited to see the new packs when they come out.

Reactions: Padfoote and Eyamaz

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019

Until you guys get the launcher out, nobody cares about any of that.

We know that ID conflict resolution is not needed anymore. That is not the point.

The point is you guys are trying to shove down people's throats what your visions of a pack are, while completely neglecting the fact that these theme packs you guys are so keen on building just aren't as popular for SMP servers. The bulk of the SMP players are on the "bigger" packs because of the perception of more longevity for the map.

Server owners are not likely to use a custom pack, because it's much easier to press "Launch" on the FTB launcher. There are other launchers.

The people you say are complaining are just concerned that they will not be able to see the experience that they have been able to up until this point. Until you guys get that launcher out, this is going to continue to be a problem and will bother people.

Reactions: rhn

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Your missing the point. Packs like monster were originally created so that players did not need to sort out the massive amount of ID conflicts needed. They became more over time. They became the foundation of a community. A place where many players gather. That's what FTB has become. A community. These packs you are making are so specialized that they can only drive that community apart.

>.>

You are sorely mistaken if you believe this community is only about the packs. Whether created by FTB or not.
This community has grown substantially over the years and is not held together simply by the packs. It may have started out that way years ago, but that's just not true anymore. There are a number of regular posters who will tell you straight out, they don't play FTB packs.
There is an ever growing number of 3rd party public and private packs on the launcher. The amount of packs will continue increasing rapidly in 1.7 because anyone can create Monster now with little issues. The difference between Monster and Horizons configs is actually 2 changes, if that gives you any indication. 99% of Monster is ID conflicts.

No, your wrong. This community will not split because of what we are doing with packs, this community will grow as more people make packs and dedicate time to providing players with intriguing experiences.

From the PhoenixConfigs project, to the YouTube series I'm working on, various update sources, and all the other parts working together to expand the next generation of packs.

The community is evolving. So are the packs. So are the delivery systems.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Until you guys get the launcher out, nobody cares about any of that.

We know that ID conflict resolution is not needed anymore. That is not the point.

The point is you guys are trying to shove down people's throats what your visions of a pack are, while completely neglecting the fact that these theme packs you guys are so keen on building just aren't as popular for SMP servers. The bulk of the SMP players are on the "bigger" packs because of the perception of more longevity for the map.

Server owners are not likely to use a custom pack, because it's much easier to press "Launch" on the FTB launcher. There are other launchers.

The people you say are complaining are just concerned that they will not be able to see the experience that they have been able to up until this point. Until you guys get that launcher out, this is going to continue to be a problem and will bother people.

No, the bulk of SMP servers are on whatever is the most popular. Be that DW20, RR, Monster, TPPI, or whatever.

though quite honestly, your argument about us trying to force our vision of a pack down your throat. I mean really? If you are playing Horizons, Monster, or Magic World 2 then guess what, those were all visions of packs created by me, (ok Monster was half me, half slow, but all my work.) All fit into the mold they were meant to play, though Horizons was never technically finished. The second you launch any of those packs, or any pack you do not create yourself, you are subjecting yourself to the pack author's vision. therefore this statement is invalid.

Saying the bigger packs offer more longevity is also a fallacy. If I put BnB and Monster side by side (all mods enabled) then BnB takes an average of 4 times longer to reach endgame. The only reason it is not more popular is because it is (afaik) the most difficult pack currently in the public eye.

Also, I don't say people are complaining, I said grieving.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
No, the bulk of SMP servers are on whatever is the most popular. Be that DW20, RR, Monster, TPPI, or whatever.

though quite honestly, your argument about us trying to force our vision of a pack down your throat. I mean really? If you are playing Horizons, Monster, or Magic World 2 then guess what, those were all visions of packs created by me, (ok Monster was half me, half slow, but all my work.) All fit into the mold they were meant to play, though Horizons was never technically finished. The second you launch any of those packs, or any pack you do not create yourself, you are subjecting yourself to the pack author's vision. therefore this statement is invalid.

Saying the bigger packs offer more longevity is also a fallacy. If I put BnB and Monster side by side (all mods enabled) then BnB takes an average of 4 times longer to reach endgame. The only reason it is not more popular is because it is (afaik) the most difficult pack currently in the public eye.

Also, I don't say people are complaining, I said grieving.
Fallacy or not, all that really matters is what the end user thinks and does. BnB, hard and long lasting as it is, just doesn't have the draw that a pack like DW20 or Monster does.

By "forcing your vision" I am mainly referring to the RF Master Race, and the other "big" changes coming up in the new packs. Why on earth would I be talking about a pack that is out now, and has been out? Basically, in my opinion, if your SMP server isn't running DW20 from now on, you're boned. Flat out Boned. If you don't understand why, I don't know what to tell you.

and call it grieving, but I'm sure you wish they would just get over their "loss" eh?

Reactions: rhn

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Fallacy or not, all that really matters is what the end user thinks and does. BnB, hard and long lasting as it is, just doesn't have the draw that a pack like DW20 or Monster does.

By "forcing your vision" I am mainly referring to the RF Master Race, and the other "big" changes coming up in the new packs. Why on earth would I be talking about a pack that is out now, and has been out? Basically, in my opinion, if your SMP server isn't running DW20 from now on, you're boned. Flat out Boned. If you don't understand why, I don't know what to tell you.

and call it grieving, but I'm sure you wish they would just get over their "loss" eh?

BnB has 1/8th the user base of Monster and rising. The only reason its not more popular is because the mobs and such are to hard for casual players.

I'm sorry for your loss. May that for which you grieve RIP in peace.

Reactions: Padfoote

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed. I didn't realize FTB had become such rockstars that they can give a middle finger to server owners.

Thankful for those @ guys. I've seen all I need to here, lol...

Mexz21

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed. I didn't realize FTB had become such rockstars that they can give a middle finger to server owners.

Thankful for those @ guys. I've seen all I need to here, lol...
Giving a middle finger to server owners? Ok thats new for me. Where did you get those ideas from?
FTB brought a whole new dimension to the modding world for minecraft. So I think the server owners should probably thank FTB for giving them great packs. Also the lauchers makes it easier for them to get a server running and let people connect in easy way.

Maybe the future is in highly customized packs.. I dont know. But change is most of the time a good thing to do. We just have to wait and see what the Modpack makers are going to bring. And if its better or just as good as the previous ones ill definitely play them.

And a final thing I wanted to say is that FTB can't make a pack that everybody likes. So if you don't like the packs FTB is making or is going to make then make your own modpack. Or is that too difficult?

Status
Not open for further replies.