What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Get normal node
Put perfectly normal jar round it
Put in room of warded blocks
Dothisnew.thing to it
Now has captive hungry node in base.

Grow vis shards with magical crops, feed into node via *complicated thingumajig*

Self-perpetuating wand recharge system.

Great success!

Reactions: E_DM_B and Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Get normal node
Put perfectly normal jar round it
Put in room of warded blocks
Dothisnew.thing to it
Now has captive hungry node in base.

Grow vis shards with magical crops, feed into node via *complicated thingumajig*

Self-perpetuating wand recharge system.

Great success!
I hope I was supposed to hear Borat at the end there.

triblades

Jul 29, 2019
Advanced computers have syntax highlighting!

Also, Uranium and Yellorium are the 'same' in the oreDictionary.

Last, but not least, Monster is awesome. But it misses Morph. Flying was fun, but crawling through 1x1 spaces I really miss.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
That "Night Vision" + Zan's minimap cave´mode = incredible underground navigational aid!

The night vision "lights" up every cave/tunnel/mineshaft/etc. on the map, allowing you to see everything and easily navigate towards something underground.

Reactions: Pyure

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
That "Night Vision" + Zan's minimap cave´mode = incredible underground navigational aid!

The night vision "lights" up every cave/tunnel/mineshaft/etc. on the map, allowing you to see everything and easily navigate towards something underground.
I don't understand why anyone uses the "other" minimaps. reis, mapwriter etc. all offer interesting "features", but Zan's underground mode is, even without night vision, the clincher.

Reactions: rhn

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I also think that Zan's mob radar is the best as it gives you an idea of the Y level. But IMHO a mob radar is kinda cheating anyway.

Reactions: rhn

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I also think that Zan's mob radar is the best as it gives you an idea of the Y level. But IMHO a mob radar is kinda cheating anyway.
If my Steve could build nuclear reactors, skyscrapers, computer controlled quarries, jet packs, portals to other worlds/dimensions, even planets and pew pew laser guns, I bet he can make a Google glass with mob radar. :)

Reactions: rhn and pizzawolf14

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
If my Steve could build nuclear reactors, skyscrapers, computer controlled quarries, jet packs, portals to other worlds/dimensions, even planets and pew pew laser guns, I bet he can make a Google glass with mob radar. :)
But not early game :)
You can get ender pearls far easier when you can spot endermen from the distance

Reactions: jokermatt999

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I found out that you can automate jerky production.

2014-08-16_14.27.57.png

The output item duct on the drying rack has fish blacklisted, and the output on the chest has fish whitelisted. It's still rather slow, but you don't have to babysit it either.

Reactions: ljfa and Pyure

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand why anyone uses the "other" minimaps. reis, mapwriter etc. all offer interesting "features", but Zan's underground mode is, even without night vision, the clincher.

The Opis/Mapwriter is by far my favorite just for the overworld map (it's huge) and I like the waypointing system in that one compared to Zan's.

Zan's overworld map is tiny. I don't mean the radar minimaps, I mean when you press a key to bring up a fullscreen map (I think it's M key in Mapwriter and X key in Zan's?).

If I have a choice (SSP), I use Opis. I just tried to play on a SMP public server and Zan's just doesn't cut it for me, even if the mob radar certainly is a big asset to have.

Reactions: Padfoote

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The Opis/Mapwrited is by far my favorite just for the overworld map (it's huge) and I like the waypointing system in that one compared to Zan's.

Zan's overworld map is tiny. I don't mean the radar minimaps, I mean when you press a key to bring up a fullscreen map (I think it's M key in Mapwriter and X key in Zan's?).
That is why you use JourneyMap along with Zan's. Journeymaps world Dynmaps beats mapwriter IMO, Zan's minimap is unbeaten by any.
Best of both camps :p

Sometimes when out exploring I even use both mods "minimaps"(Journeymap minimap can be brought up by ctrl+J, you can change its position in the options):
F04PIQ2.png

Nisteth

Jul 29, 2019
I learned a second thing today: you can right click the Rain Muffler from Extra Utilities to 'put some magic cotton wool in your ears', which will nullify the sound of rain anywhere.

How fun. In the worst possible, most greggy greg way. I need to go flip a table or something now.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I learned a second thing today: you can right click the Rain Muffler from Extra Utilities to 'put some magic cotton wool in your ears', which will nullify the sound of rain anywhere.

How fun. In the worst possible, most greggy greg way. I need to go flip a table or something now.
What I really wish, was that there was some way to make the Sound Muffler only muffle certain sounds, or atleast customize its range. The complete lack of sounds(well 20% sounds) anywhere near something otherwise noisy is a bit eerie.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Today I found that the Blood 'n Bones modpack description says

"Because Hardcore just isn't Hardcore enough. This pack is not for the casual player. Warning! This pack does not support adding/removing mods. Adding mods will break progression, removing mods will break recipe changes. Recommended JVM Arguments: -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CICompilerCountPerCPU -XX:+TieredCompilation"​

so I've added that to my FTB launcher java arguments list as well... even tho I have absolutely no idea what they do or if they'll help outside of the BnB environment. :)