Introducing JamPacked

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
So, um, how about modpacks that already exist? I kinda just recently created a HQM modpack myself and it is on the FTB launcher. Am I eligible?

michagogo

Jul 29, 2019
If something is open source its free, if they don't allow code release and have something stopping you from accessing code, you have to ask
The thing is, "able to get" doesn't mean "legally allowed to get and redistribute". In theory, a mod could be out there, with all the source code exposed, but without a license that allows you to take that code and redistribute it. The original author still owns the copyright unless he or she decides otherwise.

Hades99

Jul 29, 2019
what about mods such as thaumcraft or forestry, are we allowed to use those in our packs?

michagogo

Jul 29, 2019
Visible source and open source are two very different things that you are confusing to be the same.
Sure, according to some, or maybe even many, people. But I have seen people use "open source" to refer to merely visible source. And also, many people will just not know, and think "oh, I can find the source code. That means it's open source and I can take it."

Sixsmith

Jul 29, 2019
Being open for anyone to use in modpacks and being open source are two, orthogonal things. Saying "ie open source", which expands to "That is, open source" (i.e. == id est (latin) == that is) implies that being open source means being free (as in speech) and/or that being free means being open source, which isn't the case. There are plenty of mods, such as HQM, that are free for anyone to use without being open source, and there may also be mods that are open source, without being free for anyone to use and distribute. I mean, there are different definitions of open source. Some people's definition of open source includes being free for use, distribution, et cetera, but being open source can also mean simply that the source code is available for inspection. That second part is probably not very common though, so you could probably get away with just changing it from "ie" to "e.g.". Also, would you like me (or someone) to go through and highlight all your assorted spelling mistakes?
Would you like me (or someone) to reach in and grab that stick out your ass?

Hades99

Jul 29, 2019
seems legit, me and my friends are definitely entering

can you make an individual and a team pack

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
1. Is the contest not open to residents of Canada? Usually any US contests are also open to Canadians, its quite odd to see them, Australia, and Germany on the list but not Canada.

2. What are the specs of the gaming rig? Creating a good map and pack will take some time, if the rig is not that great in terms of specs it makes more economic sense to do a job for those hours instead.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Not to be an idiot but do we need a map? I just want to make a midpack

LordDusk

Jul 29, 2019
No, it's not. My message was a link to the page where permission is given to "Anyone" to "use our mod in their map or mod pack" :)
And still it is necessary, because i give you permission to use it, without the added question of telling us, stop being a smart ass.

Reactions: Stephenmc608

michagogo

Jul 29, 2019
And still it is necessary, because i give you permission to use it, without the added question of telling us
The page doesn't specify any kind of requirement. It says that it would be nice if you link back, and mentions that you want to know about people using it, but it doesn't specify that telling you anything is a requirement or prerequisite for that permission

stop being a smart ass.
I'm sorry if that's how you perceived it, that was not my intention.

Parveln

Jul 29, 2019
Woot many new hqm maps incoming :) I hope existing modpacks like crash landing can join too.

Renshiw17

Jul 29, 2019
If we create a map with a team, are we allowed to submit a map created alone as well?

Last edited: