Best Tools and Weapons?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Now, railguns.... there close to bows right? Might be a slight over kill with the Roc railgun..
You mean the Gravel Gun? The Railgun is a stationary block that consumes a lot of power to automatically gun down mobs with rather expansive ammunition.

The Gravel Gun, on the other hand, is a handheld weapon capable of launching a block of gravel fast enough to do hundreds of damage at once. Furthermore, it will only fire if you're actually looking at a mob, so you can't easily waste charge or ammunition.
Charging it up enough to do that, though, is not easy, requiring a lot of torque and probably a bedrock-strengthened windspring.

Reactions: Padfoote

psp

Jul 29, 2019
You mean the Gravel Gun? The Railgun is a stationary block that consumes a lot of power to automatically gun down mobs with rather expansive ammunition.

The Gravel Gun, on the other hand, is a handheld weapon capable of launching a block of gravel fast enough to do hundreds of damage at once. Furthermore, it will only fire if you're actually looking at a mob, so you can't easily waste charge or ammunition.
Charging it up enough to do that, though, is not easy, requiring a lot of torque and probably a bedrock-strengthened windspring.
Yea but if you spend an enourmous amount of time and pointless building you could make it moveable right?

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Yea but if you spend an enourmous amount of time and pointless building you could make it moveable right?
I guess? You might be able to use an MFFS caterpillar drive or something similar to move it around, or program a turtle to slap down the railgun, a bevel gear, and an industrial coil wherever you like... but can turtles even configure those gears or coils? I don't know...

In any case, you'd have a hard time making it work better than *pew* dead.

Reactions: psp

psp

Jul 29, 2019
I guess? You might be able to use an MFFS caterpillar drive or something similar to move it around, or program a turtle to slap down the railgun, a bevel gear, and an industrial coil wherever you like... but can turtles even configure those gears or coils? I don't know...

In any case, you'd have a hard time making it work better than *pew* dead.
Buuuuutttttt stilllll i would be worth it :p

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Tico bows tend to be the best in many packs. You can create a bunch of like arrows and stack them. When adding quartz, it gets applied to the whole stack.

null123

Mar 27, 2014
Im gonna say, for a ranged weapon...
RoC Gravel Launcher. 120 damage per shot, uses gravel as ammo. GG.
Apparently, ARROWS as a MELEE weapon can are quite good.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Im gonna say, for a ranged weapon...
RoC Gravel Launcher. 120 damage per shot, uses gravel as ammo. GG.
Apparently, ARROWS as a MELEE weapon can are quite good.

120 damage? Nan... 120 hearts ;) 255 damage at max ;)

dalekslayer96

Jul 29, 2019
3ee3c4b3c1.png

one hit kill
There's better combinations out there, like a certain cleaver with 144 quartz, tasty, 20 knockback, auto-repair, and lots more.

Sent from my iPhone 96Z using some top secret Dalekslayer Inc. technology.

Mysticmage11

Jul 29, 2019
I've said this several times on other threads, but is possible to find the Bane of Pigs and the Infiminer in Dungeon Chests. However, it's like a .0000000000000000000000000000000000000001% Chance. BattleAxes are good weapons as well.

Reactions: Vasa

LunaticMiner

Jul 29, 2019
Applied Energistics Matter Cannon.
Pros:
Destroys blocks in one hit
No residual fire
CAN RUN OFF OF FREAKING MEAT NUGGETS
AE is in almost every FTB pack.
If you use gold nuggets, it does a ton of damage.
Rechargable
Long range

Cons:
Expensive
Can dig small channels
Requires metal nuggets
Must be recharged (pro and con)
If you miss, it will fly off and hit something far away.[DOUBLEPOST=1403853496][/DOUBLEPOST]On second thought, if your pack has Ars Magica 2, you can have a full inventory of powerful tools (I mean you can make what is essentially a single-slot instant quarry) as well as powerful weapons for all situations, in one spellbook.
Edit of a merged post: You can also make bound tools, but i'm not ultra experienced in their creation or use.

dalekslayer96

Jul 29, 2019
Applied Energistics Matter Cannon.
Pros:
Destroys blocks in one hit
No residual fire
CAN RUN OFF OF FREAKING MEAT NUGGETS
AE is in almost every FTB pack.
If you use gold nuggets, it does a ton of damage.
Rechargable
Long range

Cons:
Expensive
Can dig small channels
Requires metal nuggets
Must be recharged (pro and con)
If you miss, it will fly off and hit something far away.
I never liked AE that much, and I still prefer other stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
There's better combinations out there, like a certain cleaver with 144 quartz, tasty, 20 knockback, auto-repair, and lots more.

Sent from my iPhone 96Z using some top secret Dalekslayer Inc. technology.

Rapiers have armor piercing, which is just so overpowered for some bosses and is more or less mandatory for killing players in power armor. I've gotten mine up to 21 damage plus charging and fortune. I'm not 100% confident there's no way to improve on this, but it will one-shot both normal monsters and players with no health upgrades.

Xeno's hunter handgun with ender shot has armor piercing too, plus the shots pass through walls and track targets a little. On the downside, power-armored foes can outfly the homing projectiles and you're basically shooting money at your opponent. There can be collateral damage if the bullets decide to kill something or someone you didn't want them to. Buster shot is worth playing with if you like big kabooms and cannot lie.

If you really want someone dead then use a portalgun or Ars to teleport them over a Tinker's Construct landmine. This seems to be an instant kill, even if they have all the usual gadgets and upgrades.

dalekslayer96

Jul 29, 2019
Rapiers have armor piercing, which is just so overpowered for some bosses and is more or less mandatory for killing players in power armor. I've gotten mine up to 21 damage plus charging and fortune. I'm not 100% confident there's no way to improve on this, but it will one-shot both normal monsters and players with no health upgrades.

Xeno's hunter handgun with ender shot has armor piercing too, plus the shots pass through walls and track targets a little. On the downside, power-armored foes can outfly the homing projectiles and you're basically shooting money at your opponent. There can be collateral damage if the bullets decide to kill something or someone you didn't want them to. Buster shot is worth playing with if you like big kabooms and cannot lie.

If you really want someone dead then use a portalgun or Ars to teleport them over a Tinker's Construct landmine. This seems to be an instant kill, even if they have all the usual gadgets and upgrades.
I've gotten that certain cleaver to do 60+ damage. Problem?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I haven't found anything that manually mines as fast as an Ars Magica ranged AOE Dig spell, cast at mid-level augmentation (half moon). This level mines a 5x5 area, and you can spam it as fast as your mouse finger can twitch. Mana cost and overload is a small consideration, but didn't prove a significant hindrance so far.

Additional advantage: it mines hard and soft materials at equal speed. And I'm two levels away from high-level augmentation which will mine 7x7 at the same speed...

You can use low-level casting for a 3x3 tunnel, but low-level casting will leave some of the harder blocks unmined. If you want the same effect for more surgical mining, create a spell version without the AOE modifier.

Edit:
It's possible some of the Blood Magic tools are faster, but they use up life essence. AM2 mana regenerates automatically, and if you learn the mana regeneration talents, it's fast enough that you only need potions for AM2 boss fights.

Last edited:

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
I'm also not really interested in TiCo tools, since they don't mine as fast as I would like them to.

My hammer from TiCo is total of stone (it means that I just need a toolstation and cobblestone to repair it) with a diamon on and then 100 redstone. Its mining FAST...

dalekslayer96

Jul 29, 2019
howhowhowhowhow
It's my secret. ;)
But if you're really desperate, here's a clue:
2014-06-27_20.54.12.png

That's all I'm gonna say. The rest is up to you to figure out.
(Yes, it says it only does 18 attack damage, but it does a lot more than that in reality)
Also, this is an early version of the weapon. Later versions did a lot more damage.