Feed the Beast vs Tekkit?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
So if his selection seems uninteresting to you, then I think there just might be something seriously wrong with your brain and you should seek professional help.
That's horribly subjective and I agree with @Padfoote. But not only has his pack not changed since it started, except for adding a few new mods and removing some old ones, but it also has insanely out of date mods. For instance, the latest DW20 pack is using Witchery version 0.16.3, which is about 10 versions behind...

Honestly, if you want an interesting experience, I would highly suggest Magic World 2, or if you want technological stuff, Horizons.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
That was supposed to be a joke. Anyway he said he wants to learn the classics. Witchery is not one of those yet.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
If you want the classics, go with Direwolf. Its got them all.

The biggest weakness of Dire's pack is that it has IC2. It doesn't fit with the rest of the pack at all, and is mostly there because Dire's always had IC2.[DOUBLEPOST=1402705680][/DOUBLEPOST]
That was supposed to be a joke. Anyway he said he wants to learn the classics. Witchery is not one of those yet.

By the way, Witchery is every bit a classic now. It's a staple magic mod, comparable direcly to Thaumcraft in terms of size and complexity, with what I think is arguably some of the most innovative design around a magic mod we've seen since Way launched Blood Magic. Even more than Botania, Witchery is a unique take on a tech mod with a magical theme.

Modpacks with magical elements lacking witchery should probably be considered outright broken.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
The biggest weakness of Dire's pack is that it has IC2. It doesn't fit with the rest of the pack at all, and is mostly there because Dire's always had IC2.[DOUBLEPOST=1402705680][/DOUBLEPOST]

By the way, Witchery is every bit a classic now. It's a staple magic mod, comparable direcly to Thaumcraft in terms of size and complexity, with what I think is arguably some of the most innovative design around a magic mod we've seen since Way launched Blood Magic. Even more than Botania, Witchery is a unique take on a tech mod with a magical theme.

Modpacks with magical elements lacking witchery should probably be considered outright broken.

DW20 packs "weakness" is that in comparison to other FTB packs it's kind of emaciated.

Also inbetween TC, AM2, BM and Witchery I think all the magical bases have been covered.
TC has the artifact and technomacy covered (TC really feels more tech then magic to me), AM2 has a more direct traditional spellcasting mechanic covered (TBH it's closer to "real" magic then the rest of them), witchery brings voodoo and nature magic style hexes to the table and Blood magic brings an alternative spell resource and ritual multiblocks in.
I don't think much else can be though up that can't have an analog linked up to those 4.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019

More propaganda... sigh...

Reactions: xbony2

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
More propaganda... sigh...

While I appreciate that you find my stance on IC2 frustrating, I really wish you wouldn't resort to name calling. This is far from propaganda.

Were it propaganda, I'd bring in other social issues. I have and will not in this thread.

And I assume you weren't calling the Witchery stuff propaganda. That mod is demonstrably innovative.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
While I appreciate that you find my stance on IC2 frustrating, I really wish you wouldn't resort to name calling. This is far from propaganda.

Were it propaganda, I'd bring in other social issues. I have and will not in this thread.

And I assume you weren't calling the Witchery stuff propaganda. That mod is demonstrably innovative.
No, it's your stance on Witchery that came off as "every modpack that doesn't have the mod I want is objectively broken".

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
I like TPPI...
This thread seems to be bound to hop on to the weird debate train and take a stop at "arguing about opinions on mods and modpacks" city. And it looks like the train is already coming.
As previously stated if you want a more personal modpack use monster as a base or use the AT launcher. Just want a "fun" pack? Depends on your definition of fun. Like the feeling of death at any moment and hardcore survival? Agraian Skies and Blood n' Bones. Like magic and exploration? Hexxit, Hexplore It, and Magic World. Tired of the same old minecraft and want something different? New World. Like a little bit of it all and have a badass comp? Reasonant Rise. These are all SUGGESTIONS and OPINIONS and should only be taken into consideration

Dreamer1986

Jun 13, 2014
Honestly, if you want an interesting experience, I would highly suggest Magic World 2, or if you want technological stuff, Horizons.

Magic World 2 does indeed seem very interesting for me, especially with the Jadecat Mixpack Texture pack. But Hexxit, even though its a little outdated, has some mods that apparently make exploring more interesting, adding a lot of dungeon types, besides adding magic and weapon mods.

And you recommend Horizons, not Tech World 2, or Tekkit, for tech stuff?

And I see that a lot of you recommend Test Pack Please Ignore. But it says in the title to ignore it. Who am I to disagree? :D

Also, about ATLauncher... at first look, it seems that most of its mod packs focus on hardcore survival, not very appealing to me. The FTB and Tekkit Packs seem the most diverse and interesting, not being focused on masochism.

Last edited:

tetshio

Jul 29, 2019
I have read alot about TPPI but not sure where to start though, I'm hopeful for HQM to be added soon. And does TPPI require a monster PC to play with (by just looking at the mod list, I'm not sure if my PC can handle it)

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
I have read alot about TPPI but not sure where to start though, I'm hopeful for HQM to be added soon. And does TPPI require a monster PC to play with (by just looking at the mod list, I'm not sure if my PC can handle it)
2-3gb is good for ram dedication. other than that a simple mac laptop can run it

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Dire hasn't changed his pack in forever. It's boring, and is missing several mods that I feel add a lot to MC. I'm with the OP on this.
I have to agree. OK, boring it is not, but it feels incomplete. I started out my current world with the DW20 pack because I felt overwhelmed by the many mods I didn't know anything about in Monster, but I wish I had started with Monster now and added Morph and AM2 rather than adding a dozen mods from Monster to my current setup.