ReactorCraft - clever reactor setups?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone come up with a way to generate enriched uranium and a decent rate? Those centrifuges are mighty slow due to the RNG involved
if you have Geostrata, and until it gets broken, stick a tile accelerator next to the centrifuge and uranium processor. incredibly slow x256 = incredibly FAST.
do not let it touch a pipe, that seemed to delete the contents when I did it.

christhereaper

Jul 29, 2019
That's about it yeah. Have a factory of sorts.

In the past I've used microturbines, since they have ok power and start at a decent speed.

You can also maximize fuel efficiency by fueling the microturbines via the engine control unit; if I understand correctly, they run the engine slower but with much better fuel efficiency.

Hrm, this is actually testable: I should see how much total power a microturbine uses in ECU vs non-ECU mode when running at 25% speed. In theory you should be consuming less than 25% of the fuel.

Too bad I won't have time for a couple days, bleh.

According to the Rotarycraft Handbook it should only consume half the fuel to produce the same amount of power overall. It halves again when set to 6.25% output (producing 4 times the Energy with the same amount of fuel)
I tested it and the numbers match

Reactions: Pyure and Kyle98750

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
The centrifuge speeds are actually quite high once you achieve input speeds over 4Mrad/s, which you should have the capability to do once you are far enough into RC to go for ReactorCraft.

Yarma92

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm probably because my uranium supply has been rather, limited until recently. Finally got my laser drill going but I want to swap over to a more realistic power gen. Its a shame the drill does not gen magnetite but does gen the rest of the ReactorCraft Ores.

Will get my pebble beds going again and see how well they do for powering the centrifuges.

P.S. Thanks for the amazing mods you awesome dragon ^.^ Maybe start working on cold fusion reactor capabilities, ya know if regular fusion is too easy for ya!

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Hmm probably because my uranium supply has been rather, limited until recently. Finally got my laser drill going but I want to swap over to a more realistic power gen. Its a shame the drill does not gen magnetite but does gen the rest of the ReactorCraft Ores.
Why would it specifically exclude magnetite?

P.S. Thanks for the amazing mods you awesome dragon ^.^
Rawr. :D

Maybe start working on cold fusion reactor capabilities, ya know if regular fusion is too easy for ya!
There is a reason "Cold Fusion" is synonymous with "Fraud". :p

Reactions: YX33A and Pyure

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Why would it specifically exclude magnetite?
I'm seeing this as well. No idea why it's specifically excluding; it seems to generate all of your other ore types A-OK so far as I can tell. I don't see any kind of ore exclusion list in the MFR common.cfg, either, so not sure what the cause is.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I'm seeing this as well. No idea why it's specifically excluding; it seems to generate all of your other ore types A-OK so far as I can tell. I don't see any kind of ore exclusion list in the MFR common.cfg, either, so not sure what the cause is.
MFR is open-source, but my home internet is not back until wednesday (and even then, no guarantees). Does it check some other condition (if the ore drops itself, if it gens below a certain y-level, etc)?

Yarma92

Jul 29, 2019
From my dig through the code all the ores are manual coded in just magnetite has been missed off! Yet redundant ores (nikolite) are still in from what I can see.

Also I know cold fusion is virtually impossible, I also know the physics as to why, but hey, it is minecraft :p Would add a mega project beyond the fusion reactor.

Yarma92

Jul 29, 2019
Ahhh that will probably be it! Will try and work on a stable ammonia boiling reactor instead of the fusion reactor.

Anyone managed to get an efficient design?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ahhh that will probably be it! Will try and work on a stable ammonia boiling reactor instead of the fusion reactor.

Anyone managed to get an efficient design?

For an ammonia plant?
Isn't it basically the same as a fission plant but cycling ammonia instead?

Yarma92

Jul 29, 2019
My ammonia reactors get TOO hot :/ Just keep blowing up from the boilers. Then again my current server is a few versions behind as well

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
My ammonia reactors get TOO hot :/ Just keep blowing up from the boilers. Then again my current server is a few versions behind as well
If your server isn't on at least V23, I kinda recommend you wait until your server upgrades before tinkering with ammonia. V23 introduced a correction to prevent steam loss in a closed cycle.

The 2nd version of my 12-core reactor (previously in this thread) was not very hot and could be cooled further by removing reflectors or keeping control rods inserted.

My 16-core reactor (previously in this thread) was a bit warmer but might also work. You should try one of those. And post pics please :)

Also consider setting it up in a colder environment.

Reactions: Padfoote

Yarma92

Jul 29, 2019
Aye, We are currently pre v23 so no reflectors or HP turbines. My base is set up in a plains biome, but there is a cold biome a few min away that would work. I will Build a test world version of the 16 core running ammonia (-closed loop for now) and report back.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Aye, We are currently pre v23 so no reflectors or HP turbines. My base is set up in a plains biome, but there is a cold biome a few min away that would work. I will Build a test world version of the 16 core running ammonia (-closed loop for now) and report back.

Awesome, good luck :) (16-core is hotter, be careful!)

Hope they upgrade soon so you can do the closed loop version asap.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Does anybody have a good idea how much power a pressurizer needs for a closed-loop system (water or ammonia)? I tried with 50% of a microturbine and almost made my boilers blow, so either I'm doing it wrong or....well, I'm probably doing it wrong. :p
I currently only have 3 boilers averaging 100C on a "give them tons of water and dump the water post-condenser" system, I built my workshop in a snow biome for safety. Running Monster 1.1.2 so I am somewhat up to date.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Does anybody have a good idea how much power a pressurizer needs for a closed-loop system (water or ammonia)? I tried with 50% of a microturbine and almost made my boilers blow, so either I'm doing it wrong or....well, I'm probably doing it wrong. :p
I currently only have 3 boilers averaging 100C on a "give them tons of water and dump the water post-condenser" system, I built my workshop in a snow biome for safety. Running Monster 1.1.2 so I am somewhat up to date.
Power input has no effect. You may need multiple pressurizers.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Might be able to help you a bit here.

* If you're "dumping" your water, don't bother pressurizing it at all. Just void it.
* If you're not pressurizing your water fast enough, your boilers will still only blow if they stop receiving water.
* Monitor your boilers to see their water levels; they should ALWAYS be full. If they aren't, use a faster water transportation method.
* microturbine at 50% should be overkill for pressuring your water I believe.
* how many cores do you have on those 3 boilers? boilers are a cooling mechanism in addition to producing your steam: if you have a lot of cores and insufficient cooling, the boilers will overheat and explode.

Edit: Said "condense" when I wanted to say "pressurize".
Edit2: I assume you're managing to capture and condense all steam blocks, and your condensers aren't getting backed up/clogged with too much low pressure water?

Last edited: