Blood N Bones [Hardcore Survival]

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
That didn't work. still does the same thing. This is really weird, I've run like 5 different types of servers, and every one of them has been able to use these arguments. Running the jar itself is making a pretty laggy server.
How are other people able to get theirs going?

Any reason why you are using so much ram?

I use
Code:
java -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -jar FTBServer-1.6.4-965.jar nogui
with 8 players max and on average 4 are connected with no problems.

Is it a hosted server? How many players are you trying to host max and average? What is the OS you are using for the server? 32bit, 64bit?

Reactions: Cosmology27

Cosmology27

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using Mac OS 10.7.3, I have 10g ram, so I like 6g to run the server, makes it smoother.So how exactly are you running that argument? Like whats the method you use to actually make the server use that argument? I just tried it out, and it's telling me it can't access the jar, when the jar with the EXACT same name is RIGHT there in the same folder, lol. Never had this happen before. here's what it's saying

modpacks^BloodNBones^1_0_7^BloodNBonesServer/start.sh ; exit;
Unable to access jarfile FTBServer-1.6.4-965.jar

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using Mac OS 10.7.3, I have 10g ram, so I like 6g to run the server, makes it smoother.So how exactly are you running that argument? Like whats the method you use to actually make the server use that argument? I just tried it out, and it's telling me it can't access the jar, when the jar with the EXACT same name is RIGHT there in the same folder, lol. Never had this happen before. here's what it's saying

modpacks^BloodNBones^1_0_7^BloodNBonesServer/start.sh ; exit;
Unable to access jarfile FTBServer-1.6.4-965.jar

I'm running that command from a unix shell script that is in the same directory as the FTBServer-1.6.4-965.jar

Have you tried running more than 3 gigs ram before using FTBServer-1.6.4-965.jar? I think the FTBServer-1.6.4-965.jar is configured to run 32 bit and may have problems with trying to allocate more than that. Someone more knowledgeable would have to comment on that, I am probably wrong... If you are playing by yourself or up to an average of 4 players, 2 gigs of ram is plenty for the server. The server does not need that much ram compared to the client as it does not need to load textures which is the biggest use of memory besides chunk data. Using more ram allows the server to load more chunk data which is why you only need more if you have additional players. The server needs to load a 10x10 area of chunks around each player. I am also not that familiar with running Minecraft or Servers on anything but Windows or Linux so anything special about MAC OS I don't know. Try using the ram command from my post in your command and see if that works. Otherwise, hopefully someone familiar with MAC will come by.

Ravin

Jul 29, 2019
You're upset about dynamic lighting? but advise people to bypass the need for food using blood? lol :)
actually i am not upset about dynamic lighting, was simply stating how it actualy gives more of an advantage to a player than being able to turn up the brightness on the client, and blood does not bypass food, it simply keeps your hunger bar filled with low saturation but does not give health, perhaps you should actually see what the meaning is before making a comment about something

Cosmology27

Jul 29, 2019
So when I run the server, I get this error almost immediately. It looks like it doesn't like NEI, so I removed it from the mods, and then it DOES run, but it crashes half way through and tells me it's missing mods... the only mod it's missing is NEI... and yes I took out the addons and plugins as well which require NEI, lol.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to actually get a BnB server to run with more java arguments?

Http://Pastebin.com/Sm27wyC3

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
So when I run the server, I get this error almost immediately. It looks like it doesn't like NEI, so I removed it from the mods, and then it DOES run, but it crashes half way through and tells me it's missing mods... the only mod it's missing is NEI... and yes I took out the addons and plugins as well which require NEI, lol.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to actually get a BnB server to run with more java arguments?

Did you also remove WAILA and harvestcraftWAILA and anything else that depends on WAILA which depends on NEI. Is that the error log from running with a clean server install or after you have removed stuff?

Might be useful/helpful to move this discussion to an area more dedicated for these problems http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/forum/server-tech-support.15/

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
actually i am not upset about dynamic lighting, was simply stating how it actualy gives more of an advantage to a player than being able to turn up the brightness on the client, and blood does not bypass food, it simply keeps your hunger bar filled with low saturation but does not give health, perhaps you should actually see what the meaning is before making a comment about something

not really understanding the 'does not give health' since you can eat it like food, and it heals like food. But whatever :) Not trying to upset you, i'll quit the discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dezil_nz

Ravin

Jul 29, 2019
not really understanding the 'does not give health' since you can eat it like food, and it heals like food. But whatever :) Not trying to upset you, i'll quit the discussion.
health is only regained from good food, eating the simple berries off the bush only refills your hunger bar and does not cause health regen, since health regen based off hunger bar level is disabled, sounds like you dont really understand how the hunger system has been changed in this pack

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019

BnB requires java 7 to run. Your server is trying to run on java 6.

Cosmology27

Jul 29, 2019
BnB requires java 7 to run. Your server is trying to run on java 6.

Oh really? Well that's good to know what the problem is! Thanks!
Question though, why does it work if I don't give it arguments? Why am I able to run the pack myself? Is there some way to force the arguments to use Java 7?

Ravin

Jul 29, 2019
Oh really? Well that's good to know what the problem is! Thanks!
Question though, why does it work if I don't give it arguments? Why am I able to run the pack myself? Is there some way to force the arguments to use Java 7?
edit the shellscript and include the full path to your java 1.7 directory instead of just the call to java

java -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m -XX:permSize=128m -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -jar FTBServer-1.6.4-965.jar nogui
^should be what the start script that came with the pack, if you are running the script then the above arguments are running, what arguments are you trying to or not trying to give it?

Cosmology27

Jul 29, 2019
how do I set the directory for the call to java?
I DO want to run the stuff that allows more ram to be used, and I DONT want it to use Java 6. That's basically all I'm interested in is allowing it to use more ram so it doesn't lag us down so hard.

Dezil_nz

Jul 29, 2019
health is only regained from good food, eating the simple berries off the bush only refills your hunger bar and does not cause health regen, since health regen based off hunger bar level is disabled, sounds like you dont really understand how the hunger system has been changed in this pack
what you will find is that when you eat blood it does heal half a heart so maybe you should check your facts before accusing someone else of not knowing the modpacks mechanics

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019

Call me stupid, but don't simple foods like strawberries, grapes and raspberries heal half a heart when you eat them? I could have sworn they did unless I was hallucinating when that zombie attacked me and I ate a few strawberries and it healed me..

Reactions: larae1929

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
how do I set the directory for the call to java?
I DO want to run the stuff that allows more ram to be used, and I DONT want it to use Java 6. That's basically all I'm interested in is allowing it to use more ram so it doesn't lag us down so hard.

Assuming you have java 7 installed.

Code:
"java 7 install directory"java -Xms4096m -Xmx6144m -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -jar FTBServer-1.6.4-965.jar nogui

Where "java 7 install directory" is where java 7 is installed. I would start looking around here
/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home
From your pastebin is where your java 6 is installed. So the java 7 can't be too far..

I used arguments for 4-6 gig of ram used which I still think you do not need. You say you have 10 gig of ram, so you are wanting the server to use 4-6 of that? Which would leave only 4 gig for your OS and Minecraft client to run on. Does not sound like a good idea to me as I'm betting this will cause memory to be constantly swapped to disk. I'm not an expert on MAC OS so I cannot be sure, but still...

Ravin

Jul 29, 2019
what you will find is that when you eat blood it does heal half a heart so maybe you should check your facts before accusing someone else of not knowing the modpacks mechanics
that must be after the health regen was changed in the newer versions, in the older versions food gave much less or no health from eating simple food, as the change log states as well, perhaps it should be changed back to how it was earlier not like the unnerfing of food was really needed.

originally only the none basic food gave health back, you needed at the very least juice or better to get half a heart.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019

If you're playing an older version of the pack, might want to check out newer versions before telling people they don't know what they are talking about :) I play quite a bit, but always with the latest update.

Last edited:
Reactions: larae1929

Ravin

Jul 29, 2019
honestly the change of the food and health is not really needed, it was just fine in the older versions
when on a server and put into the position of updating removes mods and oregen you either keep going with what you are at or you start over again, but the problem i see is that as the versions have changed the pack has gotten easier, nothing like it was to start with.