Blood N Bones [Hardcore Survival]

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
Can anyone tell me where manganese would be located? I haven't ever come across it at all
I don't think it's actuallly generated at all. Never found it. Or, is incredibly rare.

But you don't need it. Just make a nether portal, go find some nether pig iron, and smelt it into steel.

Reactions: larae1929

Batch2

Jul 29, 2019
plus you just have to look at the "advantages" of dynamic lighting that actually take away from the pack, like being able to simply toss a torch down a shaft to see its depth, the ability to spot netherore containing meteor from a larger distance due to the lighting difference of netherrak and the fire it tends to create when it lands, plus the ability to simply drop a torch behind you in a mining shaft to not worry about gas explosions and simply pick them back up on the way up.

Disabling dynamic lighting and making it bright does not correct for these "advantages". It makes them irrelevant by making it always easy to see.

Ravin

Jul 29, 2019
Disabling dynamic lighting and making it bright does not correct for these "advantages". It makes them irrelevant by making it always easy to see.
the level of the brightness does not impact the advantages of using dynamic lighting really at all, the point is that it allows you to avoid the gas explosions without needing to make the lanterns or other such light sources and being able to spot things at night that you should not be able to if it was not in the pack, now what level of brightness a player uses should be a choice of their own as not all displays or pair of eyes are the same and every game has a brightness or gamma setting for this so locking it can make it completely unplayable on some configurations.

WebMaka

Jul 29, 2019
A few observations for first-time B&Bers (based on the 1.0.7 edition):

1. Creepers don't mind suicide runs at your walls or defenses, and will happily explode against your walls in an effort to take out light sources.
2. Mobs will attack any torch they can reach, which generally means that if you can place it, they can break it.
3. Glowstone = torch to your average zombie or creeper. Don't expect that hard-to-get glowstone to survive an onslaught.
4. Invader zombies aren't easily discouraged by altitude - expect to have company in your skyfort. (Ever seen a totem pole of jumpy zombies?)
5. Zombies will pick up and run around with turrets (which is funny as hell to watch when they run into a crowd) so don't put too much faith in them as solo base defense.

More as I think of it...

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
plus you just have to look at the "advantages" of dynamic lighting that actually take away from the pack, like being able to simply toss a torch down a shaft to see its depth, the ability to spot netherore containing meteor from a larger distance due to the lighting difference of netherrak and the fire it tends to create when it lands, plus the ability to simply drop a torch behind you in a mining shaft to not worry about gas explosions and simply pick them back up on the way up.

I'm confused as to how you feel dynamic lighting is an advantage. It's been put in the pack by eyamaz. It's no more an advantage than a pulverizer or enchanting table. It's just part of the pack, as is the low light level.

Ravin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm confused as to how you feel dynamic lighting is an advantage. It's been put in the pack by eyamaz. It's no more an advantage than a pulverizer or enchanting table. It's just part of the pack, as is the low light level.
the problem is that dynamic lighting and the low light level are forced upon the player where as the pulverizer and enchanting table may be there but the player never has to craft them or even use them unless they wish to, and the advantange i am speaking of for dynamic lighting is an unfair one that removes the danger of gas explosions when used by a smart player and as far as mobs targeting lights goes, dyanamic lighting is all client side so as long as you play smart it is actually much better than placing torches and then when you are done with the area you can simply pick them back up. and as the low light level might be part of the pack it renders it unplayable for some and that is what the original argument was all because someone asked how to disable it.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
unfair? Again, i'm really confused how it is unfair if it's available to everyone. You think it's unfair because some people don't have computers that can handle it, or bad eyesight, that's not 'unfair'. That's a consideration far outside the ability of a Modpack creator to fix. Fairness really doesn't come into it. Some people have good eyes, some don't. Some have crap computers. Just life.

I'm down to 20/100 vision now, with a very mediocre computer. Those are my problems, nothing to do with the modpack, or fairness at all.

Batch2

Jul 29, 2019
Of
the point is that it allows you to avoid the gas explosions without needing to make the lanterns or other such light sources and being able to spot things at night that you should not be able to
Right it renders it irrelevant by giving these things away from free... You seem to be trying to disagree with me, but really you just paraphrased me...

Ravin

Jul 29, 2019
you have completely missed the point about dynamic lighting and what makes it and unfair advanatage
explosive gas pocket
drop torch
see by dynamic light
dont worry about gas explosion
pick up torch when finished
do i need to spell it out simplier?[DOUBLEPOST=1400966027][/DOUBLEPOST]
Of
Right it renders it irrelevant by giving these things away from free... You seem to be trying to disagree with me, but really you just paraphrased me...
dyanmic lighting makes things glow not just be brighter, it produce an area of light, simply increaseing the brightness of the game does not make the same effect, in fact dynamic lighting makes anything that has an increased light level easier to see at a distance when at a dark game level actually making it easier to see specific things that do have different light levels than normal blocks. no sure how i am paraphrasing you by disagreeing with you, or you simply are unable to understand the point i am trying to get past

Ravin

Jul 29, 2019
really at this point i dont see any point of continuing this, it is a person preference issues when brightness level is in question and dyanmic lighting is able to get around many of the things that are ment to go after or make torches a bad thing to just have around and because it can make it easier no one will see it as a problem.

larae1929

Jul 29, 2019
To me it seems u want to circumvent a bunch of the mechanics designed for this mod pack. Mining is meant to be dangerous and filled with prat falls. The night is meant to be incredibly dark and scary. If u don't want to play a pack that has these... Pick another pack that's easier. Don't cheat to make things more convenient for yourself.

Ravin

Jul 29, 2019
and another person misses the point, dyanmic lighting actually makes things easier by getting around all the placed light source limitations simply drop a torch rather than attaching it to a wall and pick it up and repeat, you have your light and dont have to worry about explosions or mobs trying to break the light, how does that make the pack harder?

now if you want it to actually be challenging take out dynamic light so you cant spot the higher light blocks from a distance and have to do more than just run around with a torch in your hand in order to see

Cosmology27

Jul 29, 2019
Just started this, and you were right, it's STUPID hard!!! haha, I'm loving it. Right now the difficulty I'm having is getting food. I can plant crops, because I can't make a hoe. I can't seem to get any of the shovel pieces to actually make a shovel (wood or flint). This means I can't get a mattock, which can till soil.
If I can't till soil, then how am I suppose to make crops? If I can't make crops, I'm left with basically scrounging around to find food, which takes so long that it's not worth the hunger it provides.
I know I could build a smeltery and get some decent tools, which will let me till the ground, but do we really have to make a smeltery before we can have crops? Or am I missing some trick?

Still, loving this, very difficult and scary, which is what I wanted :D

Batch2

Jul 29, 2019
Hey. Mattocks currently require metal. However, you can got lots of food by farming fruit trees and making orchards! Glad to hear you're enjoying the pack :)

Ravin

Jul 29, 2019
you can also get a good renewable food source by building a nether portal above a tcon smeltory and enjoy all the blood you could possibly eat

Cosmology27

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm trying to set up a BnB server, and it's not allowing me to do what I normally do. I usually make my own little file to run the server .jar with my own arguments, this is what I run usually.

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"
exec java -Xms4G -Xmx6G -XX:permSize=256m -jar FTBServer-1.6.4-965.jar nogui

But when I use it on the BnB server starter, it just spams something then says it's finished, without actually running the server. Any ideas why? I obviously need to run this with more memory

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm trying to set up a BnB server, and it's not allowing me to do what I normally do. I usually make my own little file to run the server .jar with my own arguments, this is what I run usually.

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"
exec java -Xms4G -Xmx6G -XX:permSize=256m -jar FTBServer-1.6.4-965.jar nogui

But when I use it on the BnB server starter, it just spams something then says it's finished, without actually running the server. Any ideas why? I obviously need to run this with more memory

Get rid of the "exec".

Cosmology27

Jul 29, 2019
Get rid of the "exec".

That didn't work. still does the same thing. This is really weird, I've run like 5 different types of servers, and every one of them has been able to use these arguments. Running the jar itself is making a pretty laggy server.
How are other people able to get theirs going?