Too easy

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cosmology27

Jul 29, 2019
So I've got this problem, I love MC, I love having tons of mods, I love all the new content and abilities and powers and machines and everything. The problem is, it all seems totally useless, because the game is so easy! I mean, I can make mechanical armour that is basically indestructible, enchanted with this where I just spam death. Or I can make magical spells, armour, and equipment, and I'm just a walking nuclear bomb of destruction. And all I'm left with is fighting a random zombie, skeleton, or if you add Lycanites, some decent Nether mobs.
I know Gregtech adds a lot of difficulty in terms of crafting, but I'm wondering if there's any mod that makes the game itself more difficult. I want a challenge, something where I actually NEED to use my crazy weapons and abilities. Are there any mods that add a real end game type of difficulty in terms of bosses and mobs and what not? Making the game actually scary again?

What I've noticed is that basically every mod is something meant to be played from the beginning of the game. Like, once you've got stacks of every material, good armour weapons and tools, there's just no reason to do anything. I mean, suppose you've gotten to that point, why would you NEED to start Thaumcraft, Forestry, IC2, or anything else? To get even MORE powerful? For what purpose? There's nothing that can stop you!

Don't get me wrong, I love everything about MC loaded with mods. I go through all the mods anyways, even though they don't help me in any way, just because I love the content. I'm just wondering if there's anything that will make the game hard enough that I feel like getting stronger is actually accomplishing something, haha. Something like Twilight Forest would be awesome, but it's just easy. Like, I played through one of those Nether tower things when I had no powers or awesome gear, and I beat it. Now, when I'm suped up, I can blast through anything in 2 seconds.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
So I've got this problem, I love MC, I love having tons of mods, I love all the new content and abilities and powers and machines and everything. The problem is, it all seems totally useless, because the game is so easy! I mean, I can make mechanical armour that is basically indestructible, enchanted with this where I just spam death. Or I can make magical spells, armour, and equipment, and I'm just a walking nuclear bomb of destruction. And all I'm left with is fighting a random zombie, skeleton, or if you add Lycanites, some decent Nether mobs.
I know Gregtech adds a lot of difficulty in terms of crafting, but I'm wondering if there's any mod that makes the game itself more difficult. I want a challenge, something where I actually NEED to use my crazy weapons and abilities. Are there any mods that add a real end game type of difficulty in terms of bosses and mobs and what not? Making the game actually scary again?

What I've noticed is that basically every mod is something meant to be played from the beginning of the game. Like, once you've got stacks of every material, good armour weapons and tools, there's just no reason to do anything. I mean, suppose you've gotten to that point, why would you NEED to start Thaumcraft, Forestry, IC2, or anything else? To get even MORE powerful? For what purpose? There's nothing that can stop you!

Don't get me wrong, I love everything about MC loaded with mods. I go through all the mods anyways, even though they don't help me in any way, just because I love the content. I'm just wondering if there's anything that will make the game hard enough that I feel like getting stronger is actually accomplishing something, haha. Something like Twilight Forest would be awesome, but it's just easy. Like, I played through one of those Nether tower things when I had no powers or awesome gear, and I beat it. Now, when I'm suped up, I can blast through anything in 2 seconds.
Usually mods have hard recipes. Also they have gregtech recipes so try playing with gregtech.

Reactions: Mevansuto

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
@Padfoote what have we said about suggesting Blood N Bones? Don't do that, people are looking for a challenge, not to find reasons to commit an hero, mate.

That said, I suggest playing on Hardcore mode with GregTech. Or on hardcore mode and using only RotaryCraft/ReactorCraft for your main power supply. Or, really, anything involving hardcore mode and getting way the hell out of your comfort zone. I'm about to do a finite water hardcore mode where I have to escape the nether at some point while missing a piece of obsidian needed for my portal. And it'll be fun.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Come to the dark side...
He ain't joking either. Blood N Bones is painfully dark. Got a tree outside your house 'cause it looks nice? Zombies spawn under it the day.
I seriously hope that I'm using outdated knowledge here, man, because forests aren't supposed to be death traps at noon because they are dark enough for zombies to spawn and kill me from.

Reactions: Eyamaz

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I'm working on getting 1.1.0 up which should make early game a bit easier and late game harder.

Oh, and I guess I might put some updates out for FTB packs too.
Sweet. As long as zombies aren't swarming sparse forests during the day, I'll check out the next update for BnB. Send me a mention when it's fixed? I barely use the launcher anymore anyway...

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I can't guarantee zombies WON'T be inhabiting places, just...

don't make your home in a village on your first night, or second...

or third...
I get it, don't make a house near villagers until you can easily defend said villagers, such as locking them in AE spatial storage until I wish to trade, and even then, they are in prisons even then.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I get it, don't make a house near villagers until you can easily defend said villagers, such as locking them in AE spatial storage until I wish to trade, and even then, they are in prisons even then.

No...

More so the mobs will level the village...

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I can't guarantee zombies WON'T be inhabiting places, just...

don't make your home in a village on your first night, or second...

or third...
What about my 1nd? Because that is usually when I destroy villages for resources.
If you want challenge play MF2, BNB, or with GT.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
He ain't joking either. Blood N Bones is painfully dark. Got a tree outside your house 'cause it looks nice? Zombies spawn under it the day.
I seriously hope that I'm using outdated knowledge here, man, because forests aren't supposed to be death traps at noon because they are dark enough for zombies to spawn and kill me from.
Lol if only the zombies knew that, becasue they always stomp on the saplings I try to plant...

@Cosmology27 If you think modded MC is too easy Blood N Bones is essentially the antithesis of easy.

I'll sum it up in 2 words.

Jumping. creeper.

Funnily enough those aren't the deadliest foes either, and it seems like the monsters cooperate. I remember being on night 20 and only just got my smeltery up and invader zombies started to spawn I hear a telltale block breaking sound and a zombie drops through the roof of the cave that had to become my base, I killed that zombie but unfortunately 2 Doom creepers where just behind it demolishing my smeltery. Suffice to say I rage quit right then.
That pack breaks people...

No one

Jul 29, 2019
If you want a challenge then turn healthRegen off and ban any items that restore health :)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

Fun thing, not once did you mention actually building something :p

IMO if you want combat and exploration then there are thousands of other games out there that does a better job at it than MC. The unique and amazing thing about MC is building stuff.

Reactions: Mevansuto

Cosmology27

Jul 29, 2019
Fun thing, not once did you mention actually building something :p

IMO if you want combat and exploration then there are thousands of other games out there that does a better job at it than MC. The unique and amazing thing about MC is building stuff.

Yeah I think you pointed out the problem some seem to have with my post. I absolutely love building things. I build whole complexes with a different style of building for each mod. I try to make my area look more like a university campus filled with huge buildings, and really nice looking grounds. Trust me, I do build, haha. I'm just looking for the game to be challenging. So many mods gives you super powerful stuff, but there's nothing to use the stuff on!

Also, hard mode with Gregtech is on. And in a previous game I've gotten to the point of having a diamond chest full of iridium, without cheating. The point isn't that I have an easy time getting through the mods, or an easy time building things. The point is this. When I play Gregtech, or Thaum, or anything, there's no point to making all these awesome things, because the game itself is so easy! When am I ever going to have a difficult enough enemy or enemies where I actually need to use my awesome abilities and weapons? I purposefully handicap myself by wearing weak armour, only using one wand, stuff like that. And even THEN it's too easy! Why would I build better and more powerful stuff if there's no reason to ever use it? I just want motivation.

Blood and Bones sounds like the kind of thing I'd like! I'll have to give that a try! That's what I want, fights that are so hard that they REQUIRE powers and suped up items! So zombies can break blocks? That sounds intense!

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest? Minecraft is always easy. Even Agrarian Skies is a straightforward game of building with no serious difficulty once you understand the specific mods and mod interactions that Jaded & team expect you to use (in many cases you can actually sneak around the edges of the intended progression if you're into that sort of thing). Most experienced minecrafters will tell you this.

Minecraft is a great game because it's a game that asks you to better yourself through what you build. Stop optimizing and start experimenting. Stop trying to find the least expensive solution, start looking for a solution you've never seen before. Sometimes, you'll find new things that people will want to copy. Sometimes, you'll rediscover stuff everyone else always knew. Either way, a state of constant experimentation and learning will feel far less stale than simply repeating the same boiler treefarm loops and killing the same zombies.

If you need a challenge, MAKE yourself that challenge.

This is one of the reasons I like self-imposed subgame rules like the R2R challenges or just firing up RR on a skyblock map and giving yourself something entirely arbitrary to do. It's why every season of my youtube series, I try to do things in a quantitively different way and press myself to make bigger and more bizarre builds (and why I do a youtube series at all!). It's why I wake up at 5am my time to sync up with the Yogscast in hopes of sharing the same experience with their builders.

I really like games that ask you to learn new things constantly. They are exceptionally rare.

Cosmology27

Jul 29, 2019

So I checked out Blood N Bones, and it's not a mod but a mod pack, which I misunderstood. I've checked out the mods that add difficulty, and I don't see anything that allows mobs to spawn under trees during the day. It's probably just not listed in the mod functions. Any idea which one it is? Because I would LOVE mobs during the day, haha. Those raptor things are at least giving me a battle while I run around during the day, but they're easy too.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
So I checked out Blood N Bones, and it's not a mod but a mod pack, which I misunderstood. I've checked out the mods that add difficulty, and I don't see anything that allows mobs to spawn under trees during the day. It's probably just not listed in the mod functions. Any idea which one it is? Because I would LOVE mobs during the day, haha. Those raptor things are at least giving me a battle while I run around during the day, but they're easy too.
Random things has a config option that can change how dark darkness is, including under a tree. It may not be a eternal twilight option that allows mobs to not die due to sunlight, but it's bad enough that they can spawn during the day on the surface if there is a tree for them to spawn under. Could happen in vanilla occasionally too, but it's worse.