Best Ways to Increase FPS?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

dalekslayer96

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently playing a custom modpack with 213 mods on a Macbook Pro 13-Inch Mid-2012. On my current world I'm hitting 6 FPS on a low and 20 FPS on a high. I've tried adding JVM Parameters, decreasing my graphics settings, etc. etc. I'm still getting the same crappy FPS. Anyone know any good FPS increasing tips?
NOTE: Yes, I know Macs aren't the best gaming computers, especially Macbooks. But I can't exactly buy a new computer soon, so I'll need these tips for now.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Remember the 213 mods bit and the fact that this is NON-Retina. So yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I know. First off Optifine is baaaaad for modded mine craft and sometimes decreases FPS. Second do the Java Parameters and it should help a little. Third try to make your builds non CPU intensive using things like opaque ducts and other stuff and you should be able to rise to 20-30 FPS on your MacBook.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Remember the 213 mods bit and the fact that this is NON-Retina. So yeah.

Trying very hard not to be condescending here. Past a certain point of optimisation, there's not much to be done. Shrink all the settings back to minimum, minimise tile entities, shift to a server (takes some of the load off). Then you start getting into the process of removing some of the mods.

You might just need to accept that you might need to suffer with a limited experience on that machine.

dalekslayer96

Jul 29, 2019
Trying very hard not to be condescending here. Past a certain point of optimisation, there's not much to be done. Shrink all the settings back to minimum, minimise tile entities, shift to a server (takes some of the load off). Then you start getting into the process of removing some of the mods.

You might just need to accept that you might need to suffer with a limited experience on that machine.
Sad, sad thing, the amount of FPS I'm getting is. And mod removal is gonna be a tough transition for me, but hey, that's life.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I too hope not to condescend, but you're not using all 213 mods. I bet dollars to DSUs that you haven't used half of he mods in your pack. I'd also wager that there is massive feature duplication in your mod selection. For example, how many auto farming methods do you really need?

I'd suggest not using BoP or whatever biome nod you're undoubtedly using. Then maybe start ripping out mods. You can't have a huge mod pack, an underpowered machine, AND good performance. You're going to have to compromise on something.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I think its fair to the OP to interpret his question as "I want to run a ton of mods on my old machine; how can I best do this?". If the answer is "not much, you're screwed", then that's cool, but I hope folks don't begin a dogpile about his mod selection.

Hugs though Vasa :)

Reactions: RedBoss and Vasa

dalekslayer96

Jul 29, 2019
do you really need more than 100-120 mods?
and can we see your mod list ?
Yes, you can when I get access to my computer.
I think its fair to the OP to interpret his question as "I want to run a ton of mods on my old machine; how can I best do this?". If the answer is "not much, you're screwed", then that's cool, but I hope folks don't begin a dogpile about his mod selection.

Hugs though Vasa :)
TBH that sort of is my actual question.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The only stuff I can recommend is exploring the Java arguments a bit further; try different ones.

If you can't replace your old macbook, is there anything you can do to upgrade it? I'm not a mac user, but a RAM increase is generally a cheap and effective way to see performance increases.

I'm guessing you've already tinkered with your video options, but things like Render distance hurt the most; try reducing it. I'd rather enjoy 20 feet of distance than suffer through 100.

dalekslayer96

Jul 29, 2019
The only stuff I can recommend is exploring the Java arguments a bit further; try different ones.

If you can't replace your old macbook, is there anything you can do to upgrade it? I'm not a mac user, but a RAM increase is generally a cheap and effective way to see performance increases.

I'm guessing you've already tinkered with your video options, but things like Render distance hurt the most; try reducing it. I'd rather enjoy 20 feet of distance than suffer through 100.
RAM increase has been done. I have 16GB at my disposal.
My render distance is currently at normal. Should I change it to short?

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019

No, if you're wanting to optimise your FPS, change it to tiny. Like I said, if you want to make it workable, change all graphics options to their lowest settings. Your experience will take a hit, but it might actually be playable.

Reactions: Pyure

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
After a certain point, additional RAM has no benefit. Again it also comes down to Minecraft's limitations. I don't know all the technical details, or limits of Java etc. I do know that for one, Minecraft doesn't take advantage of multicore processing. Someone else can explain the technical aspects of the limits.

But look at it this way. If you buy a car that has 200 horsepower and it lightweight, you can drive pretty fast. If you add a spoiler and new paint, it may not go faster but it'll look better (texture/resource packs). If you add a wood dash, 20 inch rims, a trailer hitch, 8 subwoofers with a wooden box & amps, and 2 gorillas in your back seat, your car will have toys but will be heavy. So heavy that it loses on mileage, handles terribly, and can't hit its old top speed. ALL of those things are analogous to a mod pack. Its not that the car was slow on its on, but you added things to it that it wasn't designed to transport.

Jadon_Guy

Jul 29, 2019
The way I fix my lag whenever it hits is just turn render to normal, and turn smooth lighting off. That seems to help me a bit.

dalekslayer96

Jul 29, 2019
Agree with all the above comments.

I do have one recommendation: Try FpsPlus+
I DO like FpsPlus+ and I have used it before, but the problem with FpsPlus+ is that it removes 3D remdering for handheld items.
After a certain point, additional RAM has no benefit. Again it also comes down to Minecraft's limitations. I don't know all the technical details, or limits of Java etc. I do know that for one, Minecraft doesn't take advantage of multicore processing. Someone else can explain the technical aspects of the limits.

But look at it this way. If you buy a car that has 200 horsepower and it lightweight, you can drive pretty fast. If you add a spoiler and new paint, it may not go faster but it'll look better (texture/resource packs). If you add a wood dash, 20 inch rims, a trailer hitch, 8 subwoofers with a wooden box & amps, and 2 gorillas in your back seat, your car will have toys but will be heavy. So heavy that it loses on mileage, handles terribly, and can't hit its old top speed. ALL of those things are analogous to a mod pack. Its not that the car was slow on its on, but you added things to it that it wasn't designed to transport.
I sort of understand what your post just meant, so could you/someone grab a look at my modlist to see which mods are pulling my FPS down?

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing to check is to see how much your current world is hurting your FPS.

What do you get for FPS when starting a new world? is it still 6-20? or is it better?
if its still 6-20, then your hardware is maxed out and you will need to either upgrade the hardware, or reduce the load minecraft is using -- aka remove unused mods.

If your fps is better when starting a new world, then take a look at your existing world and see what can be done to reduce lag. Start with removing unused / unneeded chunkloaders. Im sure others can offer suggestions too.

Lastly - you said you have 16gb of ram. Thats enough to run a local server, and connect to it with the FTB client. But I dont know mac hardware, so I im not sure if you will have enough CPU power to run a server and a client at the same time.