Best Ways to Increase FPS?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I can tell you mods to cut out, but you won't be happy. Taking out Biomes o Plenty, Ars Magic, Thaumcraft, & every add on for Thaumcraft will save some world gen processing right off the bat.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
@dalekslayer96 What's your minimum ram set to? getting the right min to max ram allocation seems to be a factor. Don't ask me why it does but in my experience the min requirements needs to increase in the same ratio.
I'm using a custom pack ATM and to do it I had to mess about with Multi MC and it's method of allocating ram is not as simple as FTB.
First I just increased my max allocation ONLY to 4gig leaving the min allocation I left as 1 gig which was the default, despite that overkill allocation to the max as soon as the game used 1 gig (as shown by F3) performance died it's like the max allocation didn't matter, at least as far as performance was concerned.
Then I tried making the min and max equally high but for some reason it struggled just as bad.
Then I set the min to 2gig and max to 4 gig and it ran acceptably.
Either the ram setting had something to do with it or whatever was killing my rate dissipate while I was tinkering with settings.

dalekslayer96

Jul 29, 2019
@dalekslayer96 What's your minimum ram set to? getting the right min to max ram allocation seems to be a factor. Don't ask me why it does but in my experience the min requirements needs to increase in the same ratio.
I'm using a custom pack ATM and to do it I had to mess about with Multi MC and it's method of allocating ram is not as simple as FTB.
First I just increased my max allocation ONLY to 4gig leaving the min allocation I left as 1 gig which was the default, despite that overkill allocation to the max as soon as the game used 1 gig (as shown by F3) performance died it's like the max allocation didn't matter, at least as far as performance was concerned.
Then I tried making the min and max equally high but for some reason it struggled just as bad.
Then I set the min to 2gig and max to 4 gig and it ran acceptably.
Either the ram setting had something to do with it or whatever was killing my rate dissipate while I was tinkering with settings.
Minimum RAM is 2.5GB ish. There is currently no maximum RAM for me – should I set one?

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Minimum RAM is 2.5GB ish. There is currently no maximum RAM for me – should I set one?
How do you not have a maximum RAM allocation? Either way the rule of thumb I follow is double the minimum allocation.

Also I am not sure if this affects anything but I try not to allocate fractions of a gig, so full gigs. But as I said I don't think this has a bearing on performance at all but It's what I do.

But you don't have a maximum allocations set? How would that even work? Almost every program made needs to know how much RAM it needs/ allowed to use so it doesn't use all of it preventing background processes slowing your whole computer down.
It's why people say don't allocate ALL of your RAM even though the game doesn't really use any more then 2 gig even with modded Minecraft and you have to get really stupid with the mods to reach that.

So set a maximum RAM allocation to say 4 gig to see if that helps if not I'm stumped.

Also do you happen to have the better grass and leaves mod? That one kind of killed my FPS when I tried it.

dalekslayer96

Jul 29, 2019
How do you not have a maximum RAM allocation? Either way the rule of thumb I follow is double the minimum allocation.

Also I am not sure if this affects anything but I try not to allocate fractions of a gig, so full gigs. But as I said I don't think this has a bearing on performance at all but It's what I do.

But you don't have a maximum allocations set? How would that even work? Almost every program made needs to know how much RAM it needs/ allowed to use so it doesn't use all of it preventing background processes slowing your whole computer down.
It's why people say don't allocate ALL of your RAM even though the game doesn't really use any more then 2 gig even with modded Minecraft and you have to get really stupid with the mods to reach that.

So set a maximum RAM allocation to say 4 gig to see if that helps if not I'm stumped.

Also do you happen to have the better grass and leaves mod? That one kind of killed my FPS when I tried it.
Oh dear. I never knew how important a maximum RAM allocation is. And no, my FPS rotted and died when I used BGL.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
RAM increase has been done. I have 16GB at my disposal.
My render distance is currently at normal. Should I change it to short?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have 8 GB of ram, but I'm only allocating 2 GB with the java parameters provided on this forum. I saw a 15 FPS increase.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Oh dear. I never knew how important a maximum RAM allocation is. And no, my FPS rotted and died when I used BGL.
Yeah, every program does it in the background, well at least properly coded ones do. Chances are either Java is allocating all your extra ram to the game (not too likely) OR it defers to a default which is too low for modded Minecraft.
Depends what launcher you are using too.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
RAM increase has been done. I have 16GB at my disposal.
My render distance is currently at normal. Should I change it to short?

Only use 2.5 to 4 gigs. Anything higher is a waste. It will slow it down as @RedBoss said, basically qgarbage collection with java, due to how it is coded, causes it to take up more resources toclesn it out maiing it worse to add too much RAM, but you need a certain amount. Minecraft is not multicore due to how it is coded, multi-core support means a whole rewrite of the codebase.

dalekslayer96

Jul 29, 2019
Only use 2.5 to 4 gigs. Anything higher is a waste. It will slow it down as @RedBoss said, basically qgarbage collection with java, due to how it is coded, causes it to take up more resources toclesn it out maiing it worse to add too much RAM, but you need a certain amount. Minecraft is not multicore due to how it is coded, multi-core support means a whole rewrite of the codebase.
I'll try 2.5G to 4G.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I DO like FpsPlus+ and I have used it before, but the problem with FpsPlus+ is that it removes 3D remdering for handheld items.

I haven't noticed this one. But then again, I would have welcomed the FPS increase enough to live with this one.

dalekslayer96

Jul 29, 2019
So... I managed to bring myself to remove at least 20 mods and I managed to get a stable FPS of 25-30! YAY!!! Now, for another less problematic problem, I've run out of keybinds. Anyone know how I can find more space for the keybinds?

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
So... I managed to bring myself to remove at least 20 mods and I managed to get a stable FPS of 25-30! YAY!!! Now, for another less problematic problem, I've run out of keybinds. Anyone know how I can find more space for the keybinds?
you can overlap some of them, like the keybind for the wand focus can be overlapped the keybind to activate RF tools

dalekslayer96

Jul 29, 2019
you can overlap some of them, like the keybind for the wand focus can be overlapped the keybind to activate RF tools
Yes, I realised that, but the thing is that a lot of my keybinds need to work separately. Is there any mod that sets a new method of keybinds? I've run out of space now...

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know Macs but set your java cache size to the same as your maximum usage for minecraft.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
Too much ram can hinder performance with java, for example if you allocate 64GB of RAM to your minecraft game it's gonna be hurting as java garbage collection will be SLOW. I personally use a 5 year old mid grade graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory) and only allocated 1GB of RAM to FTB MOnster and I get 50-80 FPS I have found that my monster is only using about 250-600Mb of RAM maximum, I've never even seen it use any more then that. So I suggest using a small 1 to 1.5 GB of Ram and how it turns out.

Also I only use these JVM arguments
Code:
-Xms2048m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=256m

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
Too much ram can hinder performance with java, for example if you allocate 64GB of RAM to your minecraft game it's gonna be hurting as java garbage collection will be SLOW. I personally use a 5 year old mid grade graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory) and only allocated 1GB of RAM to FTB MOnster and I get 50-80 FPS I have found that my monster is only using about 250-600Mb of RAM maximum, I've never even seen it use any more then that. So I suggest using a small 1 to 1.5 GB of Ram and how it turns out.

Also I only use these JVM arguments
Code:
-Xms2048m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=256m
wait you can play monster with only 1GB allocated? o.o
edit:my 300th post .. :)

Reactions: Padfoote