Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
There's usually a little keyboard icon down next to your system tray.

If not, Start > Control Panel > Region and Language > Keyboards and Languages > Change Keyboards...
Unless absolutely necessary you should only have 1 keyboard setting. Windows has a habit of switching at the most inconvenient times

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Unless absolutely necessary you should only have 1 keyboard setting. Windows has a habit of switching at the most inconvenient times
Doesn't it ever. "I've noticed that you're trying to JUMP OVER LAVA, so I've automatically switched your keyboard to French to help you with that!"

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: pderuiter

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
guys, emergency! my computer now doesnt type at all! sometimes it makes a "tic" sound when i push the keys! im on my old toaster right now!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
2 questions: Whats your guyses thought process when building a base? And once you get your base built what if you need more room but the surrounding rooms won't allow it?
I generally try and either plan out as best I can how much room I need, or build in a manor that is easily expanded. But some times you just end up with things that just wont fit in the boundaries of established base. But nothing prevents you from setting up small satellite bases in other locations(specially not with tesseracts and ME quantum links/LP enderchest trick thingy). That is what I did in my main Unleashed build where I build my base in the crown of a Redwood tree. The large RC tanks and Mobspawners simply could not fit up there, so set up a "satellite" for those under the roots of the tree.
http://imgur.com/a/dSMKv
In my present build(Monster) I a building a skybase in a "spaceship" style which is very limited. I cant just dig out another basement layer or fit another level on top without it looking odd. So it have been hard to try and make sure that there is enough room for any future projects. But again I sort of made a backup plan should I ever get in trouble. The base is situated over a "Ocean Abyss" which is ideal for an underwater base. So can always move part of the stuff down there and then play it like the "spaceship" is restocking the base/refueling from the base and link them with Beacon/MFR laser drill beams.
You can follow the progress of that project here:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/rhns-1-6-monster-build-journal-and-guide-collection.42664/

So in essence, I spend a LOT of time trying to plan ahead which so far has saved a lot of frustration.

qsmithy

Jul 29, 2019
I'm testing some designs, and I don't know how to make an area look contaminated due to radioactivity. I have two radioactive bees, so I want to express that somehow. I have two apiaries, which I want to be sealed off somehow, due to the whips which spawn from the 400 vis node which I plan to move somewhere. I am using the Mindcrack Pack. The area isn't very big, but this is what I have so far:

mET0Fex.png

Z2WD1iX.png

Last edited:

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
I generally try and either plan out as best I can how much room I need, or build in a manor that is easily expanded. But some times you just end up with things that just wont fit in the boundaries of established base. But nothing prevents you from setting up small satellite bases in other locations(specially not with tesseracts and ME quantum links/LP enderchest trick thingy). That is what I did in my main Unleashed build where I build my base in the crown of a Redwood tree. The large RC tanks and Mobspawners simply could not fit up there, so set up a "satellite" for those under the roots of the tree.
http://imgur.com/a/dSMKv
In my present build(Monster) I a building a skybase in a "spaceship" style which is very limited. I cant just dig out another basement layer or fit another level on top without it looking odd. So it have been hard to try and make sure that there is enough room for any future projects. But again I sort of made a backup plan should I ever get in trouble. The base is situated over a "Ocean Abyss" which is ideal for an underwater base. So can always move part of the stuff down there and then play it like the "spaceship" is restocking the base/refueling from the base and link them with Beacon/MFR laser drill beams.
You can follow the progress of that project here:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/rhns-1-6-monster-build-journal-and-guide-collection.42664/

So in essence, I spend a LOT of time trying to plan ahead which so far has saved a lot of frustration.

Thats a cute base. If you wanted you could add another tree fairly close by and build a sort of suspension bridge from one to the other.

I'm starting to seriously contemplate just building a tardis and having the door be a dimensional door.

Last edited:

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Will an MFR planter accept seeds direct from an ME export bus? Or do I need a chest and itemducts inbetween or something?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Question:
Just had a crash due to some Project red wire light update thing I think(not important), but when I restarted the game my world did not show up in game. Have a backup that is a bit over a day old, but gotten a lot done in that day sadly.

Noticed that all the files for the world were still in the game directory and when comparing them to the backup I noticed that there were one file in particular that was missing: level.dat_old

Out of a bit of "what the hell, cant break it more than it already is" I tried copying over the level.dat_old file from the 24h old backup into the newest save and tried to boot it up. And it worked lol. Now I thought I would ask this question before continuing:
Am I risking anything by doing this? Or can the old file simply be substituted like that without problems? Or does the file simply contain registration information for the world loading screen+player loading positions? Noticed that I spawned in an old logout position.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
Question:
Just had a crash due to some Project red wire light update thing I think(not important), but when I restarted the game my world did not show up in game. Have a backup that is a bit over a day old, but gotten a lot done in that day sadly.

Noticed that all the files for the world were still in the game directory and when comparing them to the backup I noticed that there were one file in particular that was missing: level.dat_old

Out of a bit of "what the hell, cant break it more than it already is" I tried copying over the level.dat_old file from the 24h old backup into the newest save and tried to boot it up. And it worked lol. Now I thought I would ask this question before continuing:
Am I risking anything by doing this? Or can the old file simply be substituted like that without problems? Or does the file simply contain registration information for the world loading screen+player loading positions? Noticed that I spawned in an old logout position.
i doubt it, but some things might have reverted back. (dunno what)

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Question:

I had the same sort of crash-then-world-vanishes in a custom pack, and fixed it by creating a new world with the same name as the old one. I have no clue if this messed up the world seed or anything (due to what I think is an unrelated bug that makes that world crash every two seconds, so I couldn't do any exploring for broken chunk boundaries), but all the blocks and things in my immediate vicinity were still there and seemed to be functioning. So, I don't know if you've broken anything by copying over that file, but if everything seems OK, it probably is. And if anything is still missing, you have my permission to spawn it back in.

DenaliNW

Jul 29, 2019
I got some advanced drawbridges in an Agrarian Skies reward bag, and want to set up an mob spawner where these open up the floor under the mobs, and drop them down onto some conveyor belts, and push them into grinders. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to set up the programmable rednet controller to do this. I want the drawbridges to remain extended for 2-3 minutes and then retract for a couple of seconds, before extending again. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
I got some advanced drawbridges in an Agrarian Skies reward bag, and want to set up an mob spawner where these open up the floor under the mobs, and drop them down onto some conveyor belts, and push them into grinders. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to set up the programmable rednet controller to do this. Any suggestions?
Have to say, it is better to set up a Mariculture geyser based Mob tower. I too got the drawbridge reward bag, but I used those to make a retractable roof to turn the tower off. Altogether a much simpler and more effective mob tower.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I got some advanced drawbridges in an Agrarian Skies reward bag, and want to set up an mob spawner where these open up the floor under the mobs, and drop them down onto some conveyor belts, and push them into grinders. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to set up the programmable rednet controller to do this. I want the drawbridges to remain extended for 2-3 minutes and then retract for a couple of seconds, before extending again. Any suggestions?
You would be much better of writing a VERY simple ComputerCraft script to run on a Computer to do this I think.