A magic mod with a power system ...

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I try hard not to ignore people and posts. And given the walls of texts that I have built up with mortar and paste, I have to be willing to scale the walls that others leave.

So when I asked the initial idea in the opening post, I was thinking along the lines of the difference between tech and magic being effectively zero -- http://www.airshipentertainment.com/growfcomic.php?date=20070617 -- and even indicated some trouble telling harvesters and terraformers apart.

I figured that while the source of power may differ, someone that has played more magic mods than I have would see some thread of commonality.

At this point, I think it's safe to say that if such a conversion mechanic exists, it is beyond the awareness of most people discussing this forum.

Still, it's only been half a day -- lets see if anyone else has ideas to make it work and posts in the next few half days.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Who said anything about storing?

The idea that most machines hooked up to a power bus have internal batteries/capacitors and can store up until there's energy to run?

Look at Reika's system. No stored energy (well, flywheels). Energy that is not used the tick it is generated just goes poof.

And stored magic energy? Blood magic has that; Thaumcraft has that. AE seems to have that (nb: there seems to be both a magic mod for AE and a tech/storage mod for AE. What's better abbreviated names for these two?)

EDIT:
Arcane Energy, from Arcane Scrolls
Ok, so the mod is AS, not AE -- but that conflicts with AtomicStryker. What's a good abbreviation for Arcane Scrolls? ("Scrolls" is taken. "ArcS" might be confusing.)

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Who said anything about storing?

The idea that most machines hooked up to a power bus have internal batteries/capacitors and can store up until there's energy to run?

Look at Reika's system. No stored energy (well, flywheels). Energy that is not used the tick it is generated just goes poof.

And stored magic energy? Blood magic has that; Thaumcraft has that. AE seems to have that (nb: there seems to be both a magic mod for AE and a tech/storage mod for AE. What's better abbreviated names for these two?)

EDIT:
Ok, so the mod is AS, not AE -- but that conflicts with AtomicStryker. What's a good abbreviation for Arcane Scrolls? ("Scrolls" is taken. "ArcS" might be confusing.)
ArcS

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
(Thank you for that official abbreviations list.)

I don't know if it can be considered "official", but it's what we use over on the wiki when writing articles and it's what I tend to use elsewhere.

Wright

Jul 29, 2019
What would most of you consider the best magi-tech item added to date?
I would have to say the EnderIO, it incorporates something I have never experienced before, a real nice block, for an even nicer mod. Still questioning why dire hasn't added it yet.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
What would most of you consider the best magi-tech item added to date?
I would have to say the EnderIO, it incorporates something I have never experienced before, a real nice block, for an even nicer mod. Still questioning why dire hasn't added it yet.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
Which block are you talking about? The travelling stuff does have a bit of a magi-tech feel to it I guess. For magi-tech stuff, the best stuff for me is Immibis' liquid xp machines for better enchanting.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I like my Technomancy dynamos hooked up to EIO conduits. But, on track, yeah, tech mods are comparable to each other. And magic mods are not. That means that conversion between tech and magic mods should always, always, always one way. I would disagree with @Democretes node creation, but by that time you have refilled your wand so many times, you have earned it. Also, there's a fair chance of messing up and getting a tainted node, too.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
So I finally saw something that put the different types of magical energy and their non-conversion in proper light compared to tech mods:
But the fluids themselves are never really compatible. No player expect the ability to fill Conduits with BuildCraft Oil. You can't create a Tesserract with Seed Oil. Combustion engines don't run on Melted Emeralds. You can't turn Blood into BuildCraft fuel. A common Api is convenient for the mod authors, but it doesn't always affect the player.

So if the tech fluids are the corresponding point to magical power, what is the correspondence to tech power in magic? If it's not power, then what?

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
Keybounce, I follow what you're saying.

Just like: 1MJ == 10RF ==2.5 EU,etc.
1LP == 10Vis == 50 Light Essence == 1000 AC, etc.

Now just need MagicPowerConverters so I can charge my LP from all the Vis Nodes I collected.

Vis Nodes act just like Light Nexus's, gradually refilling. Just have to figure out how different types of Vis would translate to other types of magical power.

And there is already a type of conversion. For instance, AM2 healing spells from mana used while getting blood for LPs. Just need a PowerConverters to make it easier. Maybe health/life points (the players life, not BM LP) is the common factor (at least for those two), just as coal is the common factor for most tech mods.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Keybounce, I follow what you're saying.

Just like: 1MJ == 10RF ==2.5 EU,etc.
1LP == 10Vis == 50 Light Essence == 1000 AC, etc.

Now just need MagicPowerConverters so I can charge my LP from all the Vis Nodes I collected.

Vis Nodes act just like Light Nexus's, gradually refilling. Just have to figure out how different types of Vis would translate to other types of magical power.

And there is already a type of conversion. For instance, AM2 healing spells from mana used while getting blood for LPs. Just need a PowerConverters to make it easier. Maybe health/life points (the players life, not BM LP) is the common factor (at least for those two), just as coal is the common factor for most tech mods.

The problem is, and this has been stated by myself previously and I believe @SatanicSanta has also said this, that by providing a conversion method for magic mods, it destroys the balance of each mod. Let's take Blood Magic and Thaumcraft for example (since I know them the best). If I decided to go into TC4, get all the fancy, high end stuff, and then decided to start BM, I currently have to progress through the mod from the ground up. Now, insert this magic converter, and I no longer have to go through the early progression of BM. That removes the balancing of BM, and allows me to power through it in no time.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: magic mods are balanced around more than just their "power system". Trying to make even one of those aspects uniform across all magic mods (or even a majority), the remaining balancing points are thrown out the window.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
Well, maybe I want to use a dolly to move a few vis nodes to power my tier 3 altar to make lava for my magmatic dynamo to get more neutral essence to power my gateways.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Well, maybe I want to use a dolly to move a few vis nodes to power my tier 3 altar to make lava for my magmatic dynamo.

Magic mods are not tech mods. You may be able to do stuff like this with tech mods, but if that option becomes available for magic mods in anyway it'll destroy any resemblance of balance each one of them have.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
You keep saying that, but I think that's just your opinion. I can already use the sigil of healing on mobs in a Ritual of (Sacrifice, whatever it's called) to generate lava from a Lava Sigil to power a dynamo.. nothing wrong with adding a few steps here and there.

Pretty sure coming up with ways for mods to interact with each other is alot of the fun of playing with mods. Unless you've just decided that you are the final arbitrator of mod interaction.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
You keep saying that, but I think that's just your opinion. I can already use the sigil of healing on mobs in a Ritual of (Sacrifice, whatever it's called) to generate lava from a Lava Sigil to power a dynamo.. nothing wrong with adding a few steps here and there.

Pretty sure coming up with ways for mods to interact with each other is alot of the fun of playing with mods. Unless you've just decided that you are the final arbitrator of mod interaction.

Cross mod interaction like this is fine, since it requires at least some investment into both mods to use. Powering a dynamo or RotaryCraft's Lava Smeltery with the BM Lava Sigil or Serenade of the Nether requires an investment of sorts into both mods being used in interaction, and it cannot be used to bypass critical balance points of either mod. This "magic conversion" mod that keeps getting thrown around in here, however, bypasses the balance of the magic mods and eliminates that investment. I support magic mod interaction such as Forbidden Magic (the various wands it adds are great, and require a significant investment into the two magic mods that are being "combined"), but not the kind of interaction that eliminates playing through the mods as a "magic converter" mod would do.

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
But you're perfectly fine with the actual Power Converters mod itself? Why are magic mods so much more important than tech mods, such that using a MagicPowerConverter mod is so unacceptable to you?

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
Right, so therefore, a MagicPowerConvertors mod would just be another mod that allowed mod interaction in a different way.

You don't have to use it if you don't want to. Just like every other mod out there.