MPS Support Thread

Stoo42

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm not alone, welcome to the hell club of MPS overheating for no reason...

Its a crap club to be in to be honest.. I lost a LOT of stuff to this, a whole backpack full of tools, almost my entire quickbar full of manyullyn tools with full lapis and redstone upgrades.. (over 1000 lapis in upgrades gone...)

I'm going to miss the faster travel thats for sure, but its just not worth the risk of using when this is the result...

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
Its a crap club to be in to be honest.. I lost a LOT of stuff to this, a whole backpack full of tools, almost my entire quickbar full of manyullyn tools with full lapis and redstone upgrades.. (over 1000 lapis in upgrades gone...)

I'm going to miss the faster travel thats for sure, but its just not worth the risk of using when this is the result...

Since this is a bug, did you consider giving you the stuff back, I wouldn't accept that a bug would get rid of my tools and stuff like that...

Stoo42

Jul 29, 2019
Since this is a bug, did you consider giving you the stuff back, I wouldn't accept that a bug would get rid of my tools and stuff like that...

Well I do run the server I'm on, and when it happened a while back to the other guy, I did offer to cheat some stuff back to him. With Tinkers Construct though, you cant really cheat the item back, you have to still go through the process of making it, which is a hassle.
I'm at the point in the game where the material cost isn't too bad, I think I can replace most of it (except the lapis). The hardest part is remembering what I had in my backpack, which was completely destroyed in the last death.. Everything from a cropnalyser, to paint brushes, to a CF sprayer and backpack.. a bunch of my tinkers tools, resonant portable tank... it was a full backpack, only one slot free, I'll just have to play and as I find stuff I'm missing I'll remake it then.

Hassle factor definitely more painful than material cost for me :-(

Stoo42

Jul 29, 2019
I'm giving this another go, but without the advanced solar in the helm.

I noticed when I have this installed, I get some heat buildup every couple of seconds, then it dissipates. My theory is that there's a bug in the way this module calculates the heat, and sometimes it just ends up getting screwy for some reason.

Its the only module I can think of that would have had an effect while I'm standing still. Whatever it is has to be calculating something even after not moving for a few minutes...

Trouble is, its a pain to test, given that it can sometimes be fine for weeks, then all of a sudden you die 3 times within a few minutes.. :-/

Stoo42

Jul 29, 2019
Ok I have a small update - this might help MachineMuse if he sees this and hasn't fixed this bug already! :)

I had put my old MPS armour into my knapsack from TiCo. This I thought had been destroyed along with the knapsack.
I made myself a new knapsack, and equipped it.
I opened the knapsack, and there was my old set of armour, inside the new knapsack! (potentially a TiCo bug here...)

Now the interesting part.....

I grabbed the Power Glove from inside the knapsack, and put it into my main bag. The second I did this, I caught fire and started burning. I'm not sure if it ran out, or if I grabbed it back in time, but I only took 3 hits of fire damage and didn't die.

So, I did a test. Took everything out of my inventory in case I lost it.
Grabbed all the old MPS items from the knapsack.
Each item as I equipped it, made me catch fire, except for the glove that only had to be in my bag in order to fry me.

The glove now only seems to hurt me when its in my quickbar, AND I have it highlighted. Quickly switching to it and back indicates it has over 700 heat left just on its own. After gradually using all my hearts, then healing, then using them all again, 3 times over on just equipping the chest piece, I'm not sure how much heat is left in the armour or how long it will take to get rid of it... certainly I'm not game to keep trying to put it on, as it appears to have quite a lot of heat left to give...

I'm guessing that heat gets distributed throughout all the pieces of armour when you overheat. I only had heat plating in one piece of armour though, so unsure how this affects the heat balance.

Last edited:

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Ok I have a small update - this might help MachineMuse if he sees this and hasn't fixed this bug already! :)

I had put my old MPS armour into my knapsack from TiCo. This I thought had been destroyed along with the knapsack.
I made myself a new knapsack, and equipped it.
I opened the knapsack, and there was my old set of armour, inside the new knapsack! (potentially a TiCo bug here...)

Now the interesting part.....

I grabbed the Power Glove from inside the knapsack, and put it into my main bag. The second I did this, I caught fire and started burning. I'm not sure if it ran out, or if I grabbed it back in time, but I only took 3 hits of fire damage and didn't die.

So, I did a test. Took everything out of my inventory in case I lost it.
Grabbed all the old MPS items from the knapsack.
Each item as I equipped it, made me catch fire, except for the glove that only had to be in my bag in order to fry me.

The glove now only seems to hurt me when its in my quickbar, AND I have it highlighted. Quickly switching to it and back indicates it has over 700 heat left just on its own. After gradually using all my hearts, then healing, then using them all again, 3 times over on just equipping the chest piece, I'm not sure how much heat is left in the armour or how long it will take to get rid of it... certainly I'm not game to keep trying to put it on, as it appears to have quite a lot of heat left to give...

I'm guessing that heat gets distributed throughout all the pieces of armour when you overheat. I only had heat plating in one piece of armour though, so unsure how this affects the heat balance.
Hm, that's probably a TiC bug with the old MPS armor there. And yes, I believe that heat is retained after it overheats once so if the glove overheated before, then it will retain its heat until the next time you wear it. Also, MachineMuse is a "she" not "he." ;)

Stoo42

Jul 29, 2019
Hm, that's probably a TiC bug with the old MPS armor there. And yes, I believe that heat is retained after it overheats once so if the glove overheated before, then it will retain its heat until the next time you wear it. Also, MachineMuse is a "she" not "he." ;)

Oh my sincerest apologies to MachineMuse then! I was completely unaware. Here I was thinking I was being good just for getting the developers name right, but then screwing up the gender! :-/

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
You all have mpsa installed as well? I don't have mpsa and no overheating issues at all for me so far.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Stoo42

Jul 29, 2019
You all have mpsa installed as well? I don't have mpsa and no overheating issues at all for me so far.

I dont believe MPSA is in the pack we're running, its just the standard Direwolf20 1.0.18.
There is only the MPS jar in the mods directory
- version 1.6.2-0.9.0-84

Scratch the above, I've just found the addons under "P" for "powersuitaddons-1.6.4-884.jar" (I derped and was looking under "M" before)

If MPS is anything like, say, Applied Energistics, then the developer will be working on the MC 1.7.x version, and is probably aware of the bugs in the 1.6.x version. I know that the AE dev knows about the few bugs that are there, but with his limited time, he's preferring to move ahead with the new code rather than spending too much time on a version that will be replaced sometime soon. I have to say that I agree with this strategy! :)

The other guy on our server has gotten around it by installing the water tank module. He says the bug still happens, but the water is enough to stop him from being killed each time. He also runs an advanced solar module in the helmet.

I'm following his lead, I've put a tank on it, but am only running the basic solar module now, just to see if it happens again (now that I have the safety of the water tanks!)

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
I will probably do that if the problem happens again I will switch to a basic solar panel in the helmet and will install a water tank, the only problem I remember is that the water didn't stop me from burning to death, I tried to put the suit back underwater once and I burned to death.

Its a shame a bug like this will never be solved because of the devs working on a new version of MC, I understand why but I also know that it will probably take a long time before we see any stable 1.7.X modpacks in the FTB Launcher that would have all the same mods as Monster or DW20 1.6.4 modpack. So we're stuck with a massive bug here.

Stoo42

Jul 29, 2019
Well I dont know if it will never be solved... MachineMuse might do another release or two before the direwolf20 pack gets out of beta status. I was just saying that I wouldn't blame her for moving on.

Thing is, I'm not sure which part the solar comes from - if its actually part of the addons, then its got nothing to do with MachineMuse at all. Its Andrew2448 that makes the MPSA mod... So if I'm right about the solar being the cause, then the bug is potentially nothing to do with the core MPS mod at all. If this is the case, then my sincere apologies to MachineMuse for blaming the MPS mod earlier... its just a bit hazy as to where a problem like this could actually lie.

At least on our server we have a workaround, the water tank works for us - we still catch fire every so often from the bug, but at least we dont die any more. :)

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
So time to craft a new addon for my suit, the water tank, weirdest part of it is I always have a water bucket in my hotbar, since my first steps in Minecraft, I learned to never ever go anywhere without a water bucket ready, can't tell you how many times it saved my life from a long drop, lava drop and other situations, but that water bucket does nothing to the bug, so I'll have to do the water tank for my suit.

PS: I'm pretty sure that all the upgrades that can generate energy aren't from MachineMuse so I would guess the solar Helmet and such are from the MPSA addons. I think MachineMuse didn't like the idea her suit could generate power by itself so she never included something like that.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
So time to craft a new addon for my suit, the water tank, weirdest part of it is I always have a water bucket in my hotbar, since my first steps in Minecraft, I learned to never ever go anywhere without a water bucket ready, can't tell you how many times it saved my life from a long drop, lava drop and other situations, but that water bucket does nothing to the bug, so I'll have to do the water tank for my suit.

PS: I'm pretty sure that all the upgrades that can generate energy aren't from MachineMuse so I would guess the solar Helmet and such are from the MPSA addons. I think MachineMuse didn't like the idea her suit could generate power by itself so she never included something like that.
Yes, solar helms are MPSA. I am in the same boat as @PierceSG in that I have found zero bugs with the mod until I downloaded the addons.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Truthfully saying, there isn't a need for MPSA really seeing that I do not need to recharge my suit regular enough to warrant any of the generators addon for the suit.
I have an elite battery maxed out with the cooling system as well as a heat sink maxed out all on my chest piece. Works out rather well without overheating issues even when flying in the nether. Only time the suit overheats is after half a dozen of back to back railgun shots.

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

Fizzclan

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to get the old hud for the power and heat back, instead of the numbers in the top hand left of the screen, it's just harder to read, and the old hud/display looked alot nicer.

Stoo42

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to get the old hud for the power and heat back, instead of the numbers in the top hand left of the screen, it's just harder to read, and the old hud/display looked alot nicer.

Not that I've seen but I agree. Having it at the top left also conflicts with other stuff like thaumcraft. Effectively makes both of their huds next to useless. :-(

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019

Yes you can enable it in the powersuit.cfg file in the machinemuse folder of your config folder, look in the General config section for this line :

B:"Use Graphical Meters"=true (make sure its set to true like here)

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

Stoo42

Jul 29, 2019
Yes you can enable it in the powersuit.cfg file in the machinemuse folder of your config folder, look in the General config section for this line :

B:"Use Graphical Meters"=true (make sure its set to true like here)

Oh awesome! Nice tip, thanks heaps! :)

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Sortpilvi

Jul 29, 2019
I can't see the Thermal Expansion recipes. Too bad, because I hate the IC2 ones... I enabled it in the config. What should I do?
(Forge: 9.11.1.965, MPS: 0.1.0-91, COFHC:2.0.0.2, TE: 3.0.0.2)