Agrarian 'Derp' Skies

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
You pretty much hit the nail on the head describing the beginning steps to Agrarian Skies. I didn't use flint for a hatchet though. I noticed that bone had a higher and the same mining speed, so I sacrificed two pieces of bonemeal for the axe head instead. Instead of making a regular furnace, I made myself a slab furnace from Tinker's Construct to start off with and saved myself a whopping two pieces of cobble. I also just ended up making a simple drop trap straight away instead of a dark room. I just constructed a dark room about 45 blocks above a platform, cut a 3x3 hole in the bottom, lined the hole with trapdoors and voila, drops galore with no punching required.

Somewhat unrelated, the rope ladder from Open Blocks is great for getting underneath your island. It goes all the way down to the void and you can place blocks off of it.

How I have 'derped' up:
I cut all the leaves off of a tree using a pair of shears and then proceeded to chop away at the bottom log with my TiCo lumber axe... right next to it... standing on a one block thick platform... made of planks...

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
well the only derp iv done so far is that I got a reward bag with spawn eggs and I thought the ender dragon one was a joke and I thought that it was just an ender man they look the same. will it should be called spawn new world

a good thing to note, if the spawn egg name is in italic, then it's a renamed egg.
and if you're unsure about an egg, look it up in NEI and see if it looks similar to the actual spawn egg

it'd have been alot more dangerous if you would somehow be able to pre-set the mystery safari nets and name them, that way you'd have no idea what mob would spawn and the name wouldn't really help either

You pretty much hit the nail on the head describing the beginning steps to Agrarian Skies. I didn't use flint for a hatchet though. I noticed that bone had a higher and the same mining speed, so I sacrificed two pieces of bonemeal for the axe head instead. Instead of making a regular furnace, I made myself a slab furnace from Tinker's Construct to start off with and saved myself a whopping two pieces of cobble. I also just ended up making a simple drop trap straight away instead of a dark room. I just constructed a dark room about 45 blocks above a platform, cut a 3x3 hole in the bottom, lined the hole with trapdoors and voila, drops galore with no punching required.

Somewhat unrelated, the rope ladder from Open Blocks is great for getting underneath your island. It goes all the way down to the void and you can place blocks off of it.

How I have 'derped' up:
I cut all the leaves off of a tree using a pair of shears and then proceeded to chop away at the bottom log with my TiCo lumber axe... right next to it... standing on a one block thick platform... made of planks...

yea, quite a few things changed now since the questing mod has been released, making certain steps alot more important to do first.
though I still suggest to do the dark room first, as a way to quickly get some pearls, as early on it can be quite expensive to use conveyor belts instead of water for drop traps, and endermen don't like water...

Reactions: TaintedHorizon

Cellfire

Jul 29, 2019
Jumping on the road block and getting shot off into the void

Why can't you make fans from openblock or extra utilities? It would make the mob spawner so much better! I made one with 32 belts from minefactory but drops are very slow. Any suggestion how I should be building it?

I used over 300 gravel and only found 2 diamonds and 4 emeralds so far. Is that normal? I am bored out of my brain holding down right/left click!

At least I got a TE cobblegen!

Antice

Jul 29, 2019

Why can't you make fans from openblock or extra utilities? It would make the mob spawner so much better! I made one with 32 belts from minefactory but drops are very slow. Any suggestion how I should be building it?

I used over 300 gravel and only found 2 diamonds and 4 emeralds so far. Is that normal? I am bored out of my brain holding down right/left click!

More experienced players have a handy weight close at hand for weighing down the mouse button when grinding like that. a stack of gravel takes a couple minutes. enough time to go make a cup of your favourite beverage.

Another good but unrelated tip:
chose the TiCo pan instead of the Tico wooden axe when completing the early quests. the pan will double the effectiveness of fishing, giving you double the satisfaction per fish compared to what you would otherwise get at that stage of the game, while the hatchet reward is not really that big of a deal. you can just make a flint hatchet, and probably already have if you are like me, and dislike punching stuff all the time.
Secondly. the pan let's you fry up some of those silk worms if you are really desperate.

My biggest derps was that I didn't put food high enough on my priorities list in my first playthrough. starving is not fun. new world in 3-2-1...
also. eating mariculture bait.. Ewwww...

Last edited:

Blue Sky

Jul 29, 2019
I've derped by making a furnace, then the next quest needs a slab furnace. Didn't realize I could make tools as soon as I made the TiC stuff, so I was sitting around without a pick for an incredibly long time. Fell off a number of times, but oddly enough, I've never gotten killed by that road block. Once, I didn't make enough barrels, and it apparently doesn't rain more than once, so I was left without enough clay to get by.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a 3/4 heart and 1/2 heart and nothing but full heart quests left in the quest book.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
welp... I don't know about you all, but I keep derping up when making new items... not realizing they've been disabled... I've wasted so much precious resources because of that :(
and I'm using a simple autohotkey autoclicker script which works for both left and right click, as I want to keep my keyboard free from items.
I had some help with the script, the code is the following

Code:
PgUp::

ToggleLeft:=!ToggleLeft ; This changes the value of this variable between 0 and 1

If(ToggleLeft=0)

Click up

If(ToggleLeft=1)

Click down

Return

PgDn::

ToggleRight:=!ToggleRight

If(ToggleRight=0)

Click up right

If(ToggleRight=1)

Click down right

Return

page up toggles left click, page down toggles right click.

and a good tip if you get the quest where you can choose between a wooden sword or a fish, go for the sword as it has silk touch enchantment on it, and the fish has a fire enchantment or something
you can actually use the sword to silk touch blocks, very helpful when moving grass/mycelium fields
and getting diamonds and emeralds is really slow in the beginning, but as soon as you can make your first activator, it'll speed up really fast.

DragooKnight

Jul 29, 2019
How do you create and run that script? A step by step would be especially nice.
Also has anyone tried to continue after dying, and been stymied by enormous Negative Saturation?
Whats the point of extra lives for accidents and inexperienced players, if your heavily penalized, especially early-game where most of the deaths would occur. At the very least, making it a hunger debuff would both provide an ETA for resuming normal operations, and if milk can cure hunger (never tried), well that's point of being higher tier, lower tier problems are less devastating (falling to the void with your only stack of cobble early-game, vs a stack of cobble from your extruder later-game).

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Another good but unrelated tip:
chose the TiCo pan instead of the Tico wooden axe when completing the early quests. the pan will double the effectiveness of fishing, giving you double the satisfaction per fish compared to what you would otherwise get at that stage of the game, while the hatchet reward is not really that big of a deal. you can just make a flint hatchet, and probably already have if you are like me, and dislike punching stuff all the time.
Secondly. the pan let's you fry up some of those silk worms if you are really desperate.

I chose the pan because the next mission had a stone axe as a reward. That and i wanted to get some charcoal, but didn't realize you could only smelt food in the pan.

I also stopped picking the gift bags as rewards after the 3rd one. I got two sets of 16 colored bricks and a set of forestry backpacks. I also stopped picking full hearts after the first one was a bad heart.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I chose the pan because the next mission had a stone axe as a reward. That and i wanted to get some charcoal, but didn't realize you could only smelt food in the pan.

I also stopped picking the gift bags as rewards after the 3rd one. I got two sets of 16 colored bricks and a set of forestry backpacks. I also stopped picking full hearts after the first one was a bad heart.
The bags are a mixed lot. in my current run i got a bag with 16 seeds of 8 types of food plants. that was pretty damn good to get early on.
I've also gotten 3 pasta dinners. that can be a Godsend. so don't diss on the goodie bags too much. you never know when something awesome might come out of them.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
There are five grades of reward bags. The reward you get from them is random and based off the grade of the bag, though there is some overlap.

My derp was setting up an automatic ingot maker using nine Ex Nihilo Crucibles and some Autonomous Activators. Got it set up with just two Activators, then found out that the smelting option of the Crucibles was turned off :p

Don't know why it's off, since using them that way requires a large amount of resources.

Rhodan

Jul 29, 2019
My first derp was building out too far without making sure my home was well lit. My second derp was composting my last sapling, only to realize my tree farm managed to grow a big tree that touched my silkworm tree. I ended up with a lot of string.

I'm having a lot of trouble finding any ancient spores. I've sieved a lot of sand but no spores at all. All I seem to get are crushed ores. I've also received a wooden boat with a feather falling enchantment. Does this do anything special? My Sharpness V diamond horse armor is pretty useful.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
My first derp was building out too far without making sure my home was well lit. My second derp was composting my last sapling, only to realize my tree farm managed to grow a big tree that touched my silkworm tree. I ended up with a lot of string.

I'm having a lot of trouble finding any ancient spores. I've sieved a lot of sand but no spores at all. All I seem to get are crushed ores. I've also received a wooden boat with a feather falling enchantment. Does this do anything special? My Sharpness V diamond horse armor is pretty useful.

the spores are a really rare occurrence. expect to go through several stacks of sand, so better to work towards the automation branch until you have automatic sieving up and running before worrying about getting those.

Oh, and protip when expanding the starting area. use half-slabs placed in the lower half of the block, mob's won't spawn on that.

Did another Derp today. I set up a 3x3x3 darkroom with an MFR grinder and hooked it up to a pair of survivalist generators, I forgot to empty the single wooden loot chest in time. with nowhere else to spawn, and my under construction base about 100 blocks away. hot damn. that thing got filled to the brim fast. items popping out all over the place. luckily the edge of the platform was near enough that lots of the items just fell out into the void instead of lagging me up.
It's really important to keep in mind just how many mobs will end up spawning in a rather small area if that is the only place in range where they are able to spawn. forgetting that one torch in the middle of a bridge can really ruin your day.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
How do you create and run that script? A step by step would be especially nice

I can probably do better then that, seeing as autohotkey allows you to turn your scripts into actual .exe that you can run
just download this file, run it, and press Page Up or Down, depending on which key you want to hold.
if you want to turn this program off, just close it through the systembar

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
All my derps and successes are fully on display on my Let's play. So far I have lost my carrots and died from AFK without hitting escape :( Interested parties can find my LP in the Youtube section.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
My only two deaths so far, sitting at about 16 lives at the moment, have just been from blatantly walking off the edge. I kind of just forgot to hold shift.

On a similar note, Sludge Boilers are the most dangerous things in the game. Almost died just setting it up, then realized that i'd have to get within its aoe just to access the chest it feeds into.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019

At that point you are supposed to have Autonomous Activators

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
Well you do need 2 diamonds and 2 emeralds for your first autonomous activator.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
On my world the recipe has been changed and it has two emeralds and two diamonds. It also takes invar for the metal

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk