Late game boredom: What does one do with fifteen full resonant energy cells?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

the8cell

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing the same file in d20 for about a week, and with three enormous steam boilers running constantly, a completed hollow hill quarry, a completed nether quarry, and an ender quarry eating up an ENORMOUS area in a mystcraft age, I'm pretty much good on supplies. 12,000 iron last I checked, for example.

Ive been working on building a new base and organizing the tanged mess that was my spawn base, doing some aesthetic building, getting into thaumcraft a bit, all that.

However, I just noticed that the fifteen resonant energy cells I have as my main power storage are all full. Even with a gigantic crafting CPU, constant smelting, farming of just about everything, and ore processing, I'm not even using a tenth of the power I'm generating.

Other than a mining laser (which is an option, but again, I don't really need more resources that badly) is there late game stuff that is a good use of around 2400 RF per tick?

I know I could make high tier industrial craft stuff, but I'm pretty Happy with my amythest helmet, power chest plate, runic pants, and long fall boots (all enchanted out the wazoo of course) and the idea of participating in industrialcraft's 800 step nonsense makes me queasy.

I did look around for a thread similar, but didn't find much. Plenty of early game stuff; how about late game?

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
turn every resource you have into blocks, place them, add nuke (ic2 or ICBM brand) and stir vigorously.

i am trying to think of a non-troll use, tho. ill post back when i think of one.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
turn every resource you have into blocks, place them, add nuke (ic2 or ICBM brand) and stir vigorously.

i am trying to think of a non-troll use, tho. ill post back when i think of one.
Make a giant Troll Face out of ore blocks? That's one I would suggest. It's technically not a troll suggestion!

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Bees? Binnies' stuff takes a stupid amount of power to run. Or slap gendustry into the pack and use that mod's machines for all your tree and bee breading fun(they are possibly more power hungry than binnies').

As for things to do with resources in general. I usually don't ever get to that stage, but on the off chance a world survives to the ubermat stage, I usually build out of them. Not everyone's thing but I enjoy it. The other thing that usually happens is I start going mod-crazy. Try adding rotarycraft 'n friends. that should eat up some of that iron at the least.

Reactions: Wagon153

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
Rotarycraft has some serious power hogs with seriously epic results. Wanna turn a desert into glass? ^^

the8cell

Jul 29, 2019

I did decide to make the new base out of iron blocks, which used up a few thousand ingots... This was before my count of 12 thousand lol

Rotarycraft has some serious power hogs with seriously epic results. Wanna turn a desert into glass? ^^
Now THAT sounds interesting. I'd gladly pour 99% of my power into something impractical and pointless if the result was pretty or cool enough. Like shooting a giant laser into the sky that did absolutely nothing, or projecting a hologram three chunks wide.

I've never really gotten into rotarycraft. Doesn't it add an enormous amount of new ores, though? I suppose if I needed them I could just place a quarry or five in new chunks.

Bees? Binnies' stuff takes a stupid amount of power to run. Or slap gendustry into the pack and use that mod's machines for all your tree and bee breading fun(they are possibly more power hungry than binnies').
I've been meaning to get into bee breeding on this file, but I never realized the genetics stuff (which I've never used, I've only bred bees the way nature intended) was high in power consumption. I'll definitely put that on the to-do list then.

I kinda wish there was more ways thaumcraft could interact with machines. Maybe pour a ludicrous amount of power into some kind of fabricator to generate essentia. That's a topic for another thread though.

Reactions: Colensocon1

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
I kinda wish there was more ways thaumcraft could interact with machines. Maybe pour a ludicrous amount of power into some kind of fabricator to generate essentia. That's a topic for another thread though.
One word: technomancy

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
I did decide to make the new base out of iron blocks, which used up a few thousand ingots... This was before my count of 12 thousand lol

Now THAT sounds interesting. I'd gladly pour 99% of my power into something impractical and pointless if the result was pretty or cool enough. Like shooting a giant laser into the sky that did absolutely nothing, or projecting a hologram three chunks wide.

I've never really gotten into rotarycraft. Doesn't it add an enormous amount of new ores, though? I suppose if I needed them I could just place a quarry or five in new chunks.

I've been meaning to get into bee breeding on this file, but I never realized the genetics stuff (which I've never used, I've only bred bees the way nature intended) was high in power consumption. I'll definitely put that on the to-do list then.

Not just the advanced genetic machines themselves, but the huge amount of power you will use to manufacture autarctic gates to automate the apiaries/alviaries as well. If you had mekanism you could use the power to switch from quarries to digital miners. Those let you silk touch ores right out of the ground without disturbing the terrain at all. They even let you replace blocks with whatever you want and ignore stuff you have in abundance (like all that iron). Those will use quite a bit of power when given speed upgrades, and also let you install power upgrades to increase the effciency of it too. I'm currently burning thru my 30 resonant energy cells using these at full speed (6kRF/t last I looked for one fully upgraded).

the8cell

Jul 29, 2019
Add Gregtech
Ic2 crafting is by DEFAULT now worse than gregtech was when I last played with it. God no.

Not just the advanced genetic machines themselves, but the huge amount of power you will use to manufacture autarctic gates to automate the apiaries/alviaries as well. If you had mekanism you could use the power to switch from quarries to digital miners. Those let you silk touch ores right out of the ground without disturbing the terrain at all. They even let you replace blocks with whatever you want and ignore stuff you have in abundance (like all that iron). Those will use quite a bit of power when given speed upgrades, and also let you install power upgrades to increase the effciency of it too. I'm currently burning thru my 30 resonant energy cells using these at full speed (6kRF/t last I looked for one fully upgraded).
Do the Autarhctic gates do anything that ME import and export buses dont? I have tons of those and they're how I've been automating everything. That said, i have twelve of those gates in my main ME system, and even more in my storage dimension I can't access at the moment because I haven't moved my quantum chamber over to my new base yet.

I suppose I could just leave the quantum chambers on at all times rather than just when I need to pull something from deep dark storage, that would burn a fair but of power that would be wasted otherwise

Iron is just one example. I have over 9000 copper and tin as well, and close to 500 diamonds. I may have gone a bit overboard when I realized that ender quarries have no size limit, and simply filled my inventory with fences and walked in a straight line until my hot bar ran out for each side.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Ic2 crafting is by DEFAULT now worse than gregtech was when I last played with it. God no.

Do the Autarhctic gates do anything that ME import and export buses dont? I have tons of those and they're how I've been automating everything. That said, i have twelve of those gates in my main ME system, and even more in my storage dimension I can't access at the moment because I haven't moved my quantum chamber over to my new base yet.

I suppose I could just leave the quantum chambers on at all times rather than just when I need to pull something from deep dark storage, that would burn a fair but of power that would be wasted otherwise

Iron is just one example. I have over 9000 copper and tin as well, and close to 500 diamonds. I may have gone a bit overboard when I realized that ender quarries have no size limit, and simply filled my inventory with fences and walked in a straight line until my hot bar ran out for each side.

Well you dont get shiney ingots from anything but ground up redstone ore (or bees), which you only get when you silk touch it (unless you have Mekanism in which case you can combine redstone dust with cobble in a lossy fashion to remake the redstone ore). If resources aren't a concern at all, Mek has a very nice atomic dissasembler which is like a diamond drill on steroids, lets you till soil, and works on a variety of blocks with ease, also will mine whole connected veins at once when set to. I havent tried the teleporter from that yet to better inform you of the power requirements for that, but thats an option.

Autarchtic gates are used with apiarist pipes which can distinguish between bee species and route them accordingly like a diamond pipe. It also isolates each apiary easily for managing multiple genetic lines. You "could" do this with AE, but on a large scale it adds a lot of extra ticking entities and draws an unnecessary amount of power vs zero power. You dont want a large AE network in most cases as each thing ticks aside from the cables. \

Another challenge based option is to take only tools and food and rebuild a base from scratch in another biome (maybe harsher one). Can't take any resources or link back to base. Your goal is to establish a base, then reconnect to your old base via some sort of transportation system like rails or rivers with canals.

You really just hit the delima a lot of mod players hit, the reality that after you "beat" the game resource wise, you are back to regular minecraft where you need to actually build and challenge yourself for fun. Building stuff that looks nice and serves a purpose is really like NewGame+ in modded minecraft.

the8cell

Jul 29, 2019
Well you dont get shiney ingots from anything but ground up redstone ore (or bees), which you only get when you silk touch it (unless you have Mekanism in which case you can combine redstone dust with cobble in a lossy fashion to remake the redstone ore). If resources aren't a concern at all, Mek has a very nice atomic dissasembler which is like a diamond drill on steroids, lets you till soil, and works on a variety of blocks with ease, also will mine whole connected veins at once when set to. I havent tried the teleporter from that yet to better inform you of the power requirements for that, but thats an option.

Autarchtic gates are used with apiarist pipes which can distinguish between bee species and route them accordingly like a diamond pipe. It also isolates each apiary easily for managing multiple genetic lines. You "could" do this with AE, but on a large scale it adds a lot of extra ticking entities and draws an unnecessary amount of power vs zero power. You dont want a large AE network in most cases as each thing ticks aside from the cables. \

Another challenge based option is to take only tools and food and rebuild a base from scratch in another biome (maybe harsher one). Can't take any resources or link back to base. Your goal is to establish a base, then reconnect to your old base via some sort of transportation system like rails or rivers with canals.

You really just hit the delima a lot of mod players hit, the reality that after you "beat" the game resource wise, you are back to regular minecraft where you need to actually build and challenge yourself for fun. Building stuff that looks nice and serves a purpose is really like NewGame+ in modded minecraft.

Yeah, even with so much still to do I feel like I'm trying to complete the pokedex after having already beaten the game. Minecraft with mods is fundamentally about gathering resources and generating power, neither of which I need to actively do anymore?

I could do another base, but I could also just start a new file, which I might do and try to do magic before tech. Or maybe I should do something else with my life, who knows.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, even with so much still to do I feel like I'm trying to complete the pokedex after having already beaten the game. Minecraft with mods is fundamentally about gathering resources and generating power, neither of which I need to actively do anymore?

I could do another base, but I could also just start a new file, which I might do and try to do magic before tech. Or maybe I should do something else with my life, who knows.

Mods IMO are about augmenting regular vanilla minecraft which IMO again is about building neat stuff. Mining was teadius for me after X amount of hours in so having something to automate that is nice. Same for gathering food. Same for building really large geometric shapes like floors, walls, and the like. It will get you to building great things faster. Also as a building in modded MC you have a wider selection of tools and blocks to choose from.

Additionally might I suggest adding roguelike dungeons to your modpack if you restart your world? It gives you nice places to explore and "gather" resources for starting your world and providing challenge to exploration. As long as you can practice self restraint and not quarry a dungeon rather than explore it, it can be a lot of fun. My gf and I just cleared one we've been exploring the past week. I especially enjoyed her stepping on the TNT trap, but I'm evil like that :).

the8cell

Jul 29, 2019
If I did restart I'd probably put it into a kind of manual "hard mode" by messing with configs... disabling mystcraft and quarries for sure, putting MFR in the TE recepie mode, disabling the auto spawner... Maybe, if i can, disable ore doubling too, so that I'd actually have to use some of those kooky 1: 2 and one ninth production chains rather than just pulverizing into two dusts and smelting the dusts right off the bat.

Rouge like dungeons is always fun, though they take SO long to clear out lol

reverandraptor

Jul 29, 2019
Get Rotarycraft. Seriously, you can do SO much cool stuff with it. Just don't expect it to be easy to use.

As far as I can tell for world gen all it really adds is Canola, which you get by breaking grass anyways. In my experience, it mainly uses iron. LOTS and LOTS of iron. You'll find yourself setting up another quarry just for some if all you have is 14k, I can guarantee that. ;) And some of the stuff requires a ridiculous amount of power, although a lot of the major power-hogs would be pretty useless to you at your state of the game, theres some that you'd use just for fun (The railgun for example.)