Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ZeCowMan

Jul 29, 2019
I had made a thread relating to this question but it fell back a bit without anyone responding to my last question and I have no idea what the rules for bumping/double posting in threads are on this site, so..

I was having issues with disappearing research and research points in Thaumcraft 4. I was told how to prevent it from happening again and I was told I could transfer my research and research points from a previous backup to my current world (my old backup has most of my research but I've had a few time consuming projects so I don't want to completely revert to that backup) by copying my player.dat to my current world. However, I wasn't told where that was located.

I found two files named "myusername.dat;" One in the world's "players" folder and the other in the TCPlayerData folder. I copied and replaced both files with the ones located in the backup but that did nothing. I don't actually know if TCPlayerData is Thaumcraft, Tinkers' Construct or TropiCraft, I just did it to check and made a backup of my current world prior to making those changes.

TL;DR: I would just like to know what they were referring to in the thread when telling me to copy the player.dat from my old world backup to my current world in order to transfer my Thaumcraft research and research points.

If anyone can clear this up for me, it would be much appreciated. :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I've been messing around mf2 for a while and forgot how ic2 worked. Is it that you can put a 60eu line into a bat box as long as they are from coal generators or you have to keep it under 32eu total incoming for a batbox?
2nd scenario now as I understand it. Used to be the 1st.*

If a machine supports max 32eu/t, and you send it power from two generators each producing 32 eu/t, now it will explode (provided explosions is enabled and provided the cable itself doesn't fry first)

Before you could send a machine 40000 eu/t, so long as it was sent in 32eu/p (per packet)

*I'm frequently wrong about everything. Obviously do test in testing world :)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
2nd scenario now as I understand it. Used to be the 1st.*

If a machine supports max 32eu/t, and you send it power from two generators each producing 32 eu/t, now it will explode (provided explosions is enabled and provided the cable itself doesn't fry first)

Before you could send a machine 40000 eu/t, so long as it was sent in 32eu/p (per packet)

*I'm frequently wrong about everything. Obviously do test in testing world :)
That's basically how it's always been. The e-net changes makes it less safe to send more then what a cable is rated for even if you send it separately. Not that this matters, due to some unresolved bugs they disabled machine exploding in the code itself(IIRC), and while the changes are more buggy then good, I have no doubts they'll fix it. I mean, they have Greg on board for fixing this stuff. IIRC he's the guy who found a way to vastly improve the e-net with a single line of code, that they never added. If they ask him to fix the e-net, it may just end up usable like how BC is now, which is a welcome change as an aside. BC Power systems used to only be good when you used TE to transfer the power. Now they are worth using, assuming that one can pump out power without using a wooden kinesis pipe.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Double Thaumcraft question:

Can the Wand Recharge Pedestal recharge from bottled nodes?

How would I go about getting enough Vis to craft a Silverwood staff with Thaumium endcaps? Even with goggles and full Thaumathurges gear and a Silverwood+Thaumium wand(100vis capacity) the craft still requires 115.2 Vis of all 6 aspects.

Yes, you can charge the wand from the bottled node. However, the node will not regenerate while it is in the bottle.

Not sure about the staff. Maybe make an intermediate staff like the greatwood with gold or thaumium caps.

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to completely automate tree breeding, so I don't have have to do anything at all? I want the wood but I absolutely hate tree breeding.

WeaponMaster

Jul 29, 2019
question:

can i reset a few chunks in my singleplayer map?
wanna make a fresh start without destroying my main building.
yes, but you need to use MCEdit.
Just delete the chunks you want to reset, and they will be regenerated when you load the world next. MAKE SURE to take a backup before trying anything.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to completely automate tree breeding, so I don't have have to do anything at all? I want the wood but I absolutely hate tree breeding.
There's no simple solution, but you could probably hook up something up with a turtle. Use code from one of the tree farming programs from the ComputerCraft forums, adapt the breeding code from the bee breeding program over there, and add in a lag time so that the tree has an opportunity to get pollinated.

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
There's no simple solution, but you could probably hook up something up with a turtle. Use code from one of the tree farming programs from the ComputerCraft forums, adapt the breeding code from the bee breeding program over there, and add in a lag time so that the tree has an opportunity to get pollinated.

I suck with computercraft. I'll see what I can come up with using pipes/servos/timers and MFR tree machines.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I suck with computercraft. I'll see what I can come up with using pipes/servos/timers and MFR tree machines.

Yeah, it's not easy to do this sort of stuff as it is.

I honestly suggest getting Gendustry and using a Industrial with a Sieve Upgrade and using the Mutator to breed your trees, it's less hellish. Plus, while it's not as easy to automate, it's much more possible to control.

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, it's not easy to do this sort of stuff as it is.

I honestly suggest getting Gendustry and using a Industrial with a Sieve Upgrade and using the Mutator to breed your trees, it's less hellish. Plus, while it's not as easy to automate, it's much more possible to control.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Also anyone know of a mod that increases render distance, far is to short and optifine doesn't work nicely with ... well, anything really.

ZeCowMan

Jul 29, 2019
I had made a thread relating to this question but it fell back a bit without anyone responding to my last question and I have no idea what the rules for bumping/double posting in threads are on this site, so..

I was having issues with disappearing research and research points in Thaumcraft 4. I was told how to prevent it from happening again and I was told I could transfer my research and research points from a previous backup to my current world (my old backup has most of my research but I've had a few time consuming projects so I don't want to completely revert to that backup) by copying my player.dat to my current world. However, I wasn't told where that was located.

I found two files named "myusername.dat;" One in the world's "players" folder and the other in the TCPlayerData folder. I copied and replaced both files with the ones located in the backup but that did nothing. I don't actually know if TCPlayerData is Thaumcraft, Tinkers' Construct or TropiCraft, I just did it to check and made a backup of my current world prior to making those changes.

TL;DR: I would just like to know what they were referring to in the thread when telling me to copy the player.dat from my old world backup to my current world in order to transfer my Thaumcraft research and research points.

If anyone can clear this up for me, it would be much appreciated. :)

Sorry if bumping this post is obnoxious.. I don't really want to play until I get this sorted out. I'm kind of in a pickle between having to do all of my research again or having to rebuild all that I had built between my last backup and the older backup.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Sorry if bumping this post is obnoxious.. I don't really want to play until I get this sorted out. I'm kind of in a pickle between having to do all of my research again or having to rebuild all that I had built between my last backup and the older backup.

TBH I'm not too familiar with those specific files (hence me not replying in that thread, I was hoping someone else who had a clue would respond), but if you can't get that to work and want your research without having to redo it all, try a "/tc help" in game to walk you through how to re-add specific researches. Or just use the cheat sheet, whatever you want to do.

Reactions: ZeCowMan

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks, I'll look into that.

Also anyone know of a mod that increases render distance, far is to short and optifine doesn't work nicely with ... well, anything really.

The only thing I'm aware of is Minecraft 1.7.x

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
It's like 4 blocks be default that can be non-air, but a config option can make that N/A.

Depends on your configuration. I was able to have a maximum of 20 air blocks with no solid blocks in between using DW20.