Monster 1.1.0 and Horizons 2.1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
So if you are also using the JVM arguments, you could try and disable them to see if you get the same result. I must admit I don't remember when I last felt the game run as smooth as it does right now :p

So now to be a total noob... Is this something that is enabled by default, or something I would have had to do myself? I ask because every now and then all 8 of my threads (quad core 3.2ghz i7) just get SLAMMED at 100%. Then my temp spikes up from like 60-70c, to like 95c. Which is not happy. I'm hosting a small private server for me and a few friends, as well as playing on the same machine. But before I think we had as many as 5 people on with monster 1.0.9 and had no problems. Now, sometimes it seems to overtax my computer w just me and one other person on. I'm gonna look into having our server hosted on Creeper Host (tried Clanforge, but it seemed what they offered couldn't handle monster, and for the same price we can get twice as much ram w CH). But either way, it would be really nice to know what's going on and if there is something I can do to stop it. In case it matters our world is NOT pregenerated. So if we go exploring, new land is created. But this problem occurs even when we're not doing that.

CraveMode

Jul 29, 2019
Java uses alot of ram, I have 8 gb and I always have 80-95% ram used with other programs running like teamspeak sometimes chrome. But, running a server with your client is never a good idea, best to get a cheap host somewhere.

CraveMode

Jul 29, 2019
The server uses CPU, your client uses CPU to calculate everything in minecraft, its doing calculations for all the plants growing, animals moving, all of your friends moving and doing things, machines running, especially if you are using this modpack, you are going to use alot more. Expect high CPU usage, I ran a server on my computer for 2 other people when we were streaming and on vanilla and all of that was maxing my i7. Ram is usually taken up by loaded chunks etc which can also cause more calculations to be ran with whatever is on those chunks.

Update: Sweet, thanks man for the recommended version! Took a nap, hoped it would be up by the time I got up, everyone was waiting for it.

Last edited:

DaddyRoxx

Jul 29, 2019
Are you guys running your server on Windows? I'm running three separate MC servers - FTB Monster, Hexxit, and a Vanilla on my machine and am not having these problems. My processor is an i7-3770K with 16 GB of RAM on Windows 8.1 Pro.
The way I'm doing it is each server is in a Virtual Machine that is running Ubuntu Server. The Java I'm using is the OpenJDK thru "apt-get". I've allocated 1GB to the vanilla VM, and 2GB to each of the other two. I've set up my router to port forward (its called Virtual Server on D-Link) to each VM's IP for the players to get online. I run my Minecraft client on the Windows "side" and it connects to the VM's using their internal network IP address (192.168.0.91) as if it was a separate machine somewhere else in the house.
The vast majority of the time the CPU usage of each VM is at 0-1%. Monster will occasionally spike up to 20%, but then return. I think that is a function of how many and complexity of the machines your players build but I could be completely wrong on that. The main downside was that I had to learn how to use a little linux command line (Google is your friend!!) and also how to interface with the VM's using FileZilla to maintain and edit the server files. I also had to learn how to set up and manage the VM's thru Windows. But once I got those skillz down, the VM's have been running for months. They automatically restart after Windows reboots, and you can take "snapshots" of the VM to revert the entire machine back to any state you wish.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
... I've allocated 1GB to the vanilla VM, and 2GB to each of the other two. I've set up my router to port forward (its called Virtual Server on D-Link) to each VM's IP for the players to get online.
What java arguments are you launching your Monster server with?
Thanks!

moot187

Jul 29, 2019
It seems that the recipe for IC2's diamond drill is broken. I tried to use NEI'S cheat mode to just give myself a diamond drill instead but for the life of me I can't seem to get cheat mode to work. I can select cheat mode in NEI's options but the inventory screen is the same as recipe mode.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
It seems that the recipe for IC2's diamond drill is broken. I tried to use NEI'S cheat mode to just give myself a diamond drill instead but for the life of me I can't seem to get cheat mode to work. I can select cheat mode in NEI's options but the inventory screen is the same as recipe mode.
Report that in the particular modpack bug reporting thread please.

TheSgtPunishment

Jul 29, 2019
For some reason when ever I update the mod pack, and enable/disable certain mods when I go to hit "Launch" it re-downloads all the mods (Even when the mods are disabled) saying it's trying to download a texture pack... what gives?

tucker19

Jul 29, 2019
when you say we need to pick up all our shafts and gearboxes do you also mean shaft junctions?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
But, running a server with your client is never a good idea, best to get a cheap host somewhere.
I am running the server purely for my self(singleplayer practically). If it was for other people aswell then hell no, would need a dedicated machine. But running a server for singleplayer purposes is purely for forcing the game to spread CPU load out over as many cores as possible and it has the bonus effect of limiting the memory yoyo'ing.[DOUBLEPOST=1394562155][/DOUBLEPOST]
You need to hit the "Global" button and then disable the "W" next to the Inventory mode to allow you to overwrite the "global setting".

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
For some reason when ever I update the mod pack, and enable/disable certain mods when I go to hit "Launch" it re-downloads all the mods (Even when the mods are disabled) saying it's trying to download a texture pack... what gives?
Yes, that is something that happens with the current launcher. The launcher team is working on this. For now, just keep track of what mods you download and keep copies available at hand to add again.[DOUBLEPOST=1394564361][/DOUBLEPOST]
The IC2 diamond drill recipe should work. Are you sure you're using the one with plates, wires, a motor, etc?

Reactions: Padfoote

Hannibal_00

Jul 29, 2019
from changelog:
EnderIO
  • Made Uber Range upgrade require dragon egg
slight correction here, its not Ender IO its Remote IO

moot187

Jul 29, 2019
Figured out the NEI thing. As some one said above there is a global/world option and that does the trick. Never figured out why I couldn't make IC2's diamond drill. And yes MoosyDoosy I was using the drill made with plates, wires, a motor, etc. I've got cheat mode to get around it though so no worries.

DaddyRoxx

Jul 29, 2019
What java arguments are you launching your Monster server with?
Thanks!
Here is my ServerStart.sh file for Monster and Hexxit:

java -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m -XX:permSize=256m -XX:NewRatio=3 -XX:SurvivorRatio=3 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=8 -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=50 -XX:MaxGCMinorPauseMillis=7 -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=60 -XX:+BindGCTaskThreadsToCPUs -Xnoclassgc -jar FTBServer-1.6.4-965.jar nogui

I got the java arguments from Eyamaz's thread. The servers seem to be running well, but these I but I may be way off target with them.

Reactions: AlanEsh

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Here is my ServerStart.sh file for Monster and Hexxit:

java -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m -XX:permSize=256m -XX:NewRatio=3 -XX:SurvivorRatio=3 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=8 -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=50 -XX:MaxGCMinorPauseMillis=7 -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=60 -XX:+BindGCTaskThreadsToCPUs -Xnoclassgc -jar FTBServer-1.6.4-965.jar nogui

I got the java arguments from Eyamaz's thread. The servers seem to be running well, but these I but I may be way off target with them.

They are a bit outdated now and a few servers reported issues with newer instances of Monster. I'm going to revisit some things and do some more profiling as I have time between 1.6 and 1.7. There is a smaller set in the BnB thread specifically for clients that people may want to look at. I haven't had a chance to do any serious server profiling in a few months though.

Reactions: un worry
Status
Not open for further replies.