Peoples Favorite Starting Routines on a new server/world

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
is it possible to get this before tool forge?
Nope, but ill likely pick up the 36 iron when finding a nice spot. Ill need 1 iron for the clipboard so I will have gone trough the first cave I find aswell as a ravine or 2 on my travels.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@hiroshi42 , I guess I'm not too concerned about marrying them together harmoniously. I'm just curious if people are using recent GT in any packs. The last offcial pack was Unhinged I thought, and GT has seen some updates since then.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
What pack are you using with gregtech? If you've managed to incorporate a recent version of GT into a pack, I wanna do whatever it is you're doing. I assume you're not doing that in the same world as your TiCo game :p :p

What on earth is a mattock good for? I tend to beeline for hammer which is just so win.
It's a single block tool that has a lot of utility. Basically a hoe, axe, and specific shovel for dirt, clay, but not for sand and gravel. Jack of all, master of none. I use it because I don't use the IC2 drill, don't have IC2 installed, and I don't want to punch dirt. Also hate having to grab a hoe to plow trampled dirt, and I hate having both a shovel and axe filling my inventory.

Reactions: Zexks

Jeremuz

Jul 29, 2019
I've made a Direwolf20 1.6 spawn that was literally 20 blocks from a redwood.
Seed: frostedflakes
Ridiculous seed I know xD

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, the only way to have fun is doing something different each time, so I don't have a "routine".
Last time I used FZ(!) and BM to start my game.
That time, I skipped Tech stuff and started Ars2, TC4 and BM first, my frined is doing the tech part for me.
(This time using EnderIO to start ore line instead of TE3)

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
1. Build tools
2. Mine until i'm out of wood for torches and tools, and dying of hunger
3. Get wood and food like i should have done as number 1.
4. Dig into a mountain for a home.
5. Go mining again because my first trip was rather short lived.
6. Do all the things i did in a previous world.
7. Restart due to some sort of update.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
How about a Twilight start?

The Twilight Forest has a lot of resources that can help you during the early game. The hedge mazes for example are filled with loot such as melon seeds or fire flies, or sheers. The small hallow hills usually have a lot of iron and coal. Not to mention the forest itself, with a broad axe you can quickly gather a lot of wood. But all this loot is meaningless for players who already have an operational base with endgame or even mid-game gear. So my advice would be to turn the TF into your starting mod, alongside of more machine or tool based starting mods such as TiC.

The "hovel of shame" as others have called their starter base, can be made in the TF with wood from canopy trees, and thus much more spacious and less shameful.

1. I usually start with a "vanilla speed start" to get the stone tools in less than 5 minutes.
  2. Then I gather a small stack of wood (about 48 wood blocks), hunt for enough food to last for a couple of MC-days.(about 12 pork or equivalent)
  3. At the end of the first day, or second day if I'm unlucky, I dig down to Y-11/12 (2 by 1 straight down) and mine till I find at least 4 diamonds. (I make a Certus quarts pick to mine them) (1 for the TF portal, 1 for stone hammer, 2 for enchanting table)
  4. Then I'll go back to the surface, secure a location for the TF portal (so I won't get mobbed if I come back) and enter the Twilight Forest.

The lich tower usually has a few bits of material you usually need to go to the nether for. I may not be enough to avoid going to the nether eventually, but you only need one soul sand block to scan with thaumometer. And only 8 netherrack for the TE magma crucible. And only 4 glowstone dust for a IC2 Jet-pack (actually, there is a lot of glowstone in hallow hills) The druid huts always have a bit of netherrack.
The rivers give easy access to clay and the random water pools have loads of sand around them, so making the TiC smeltery is easy to do here.

After clearing out a larger hollow hill and a lich tower I have the materials I need to start a real base and higher level tech and or magic back in the overworld.

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019

The Twilight Forest has a lot of resources .....

After clearing out a larger hollow hill and a lich tower I have the materials I need to start a real base and higher level tech and or magic back in the overworld.

this is a good idea. I never really got a lot out of the TF because I go most everywhere else first, but maybe I'll try soemthing like this in my next world.

Albeleo

Jul 29, 2019
The other advantage of the twilight forest is that sea level is way lower than in the overworld. Overworld sea level is 64, twilight forest is like 30 -35. You're already starting out very close to redstone/gold/lead/silver level. Any decent ravine will have you at diamond level instantly, open air, little to no mob spawns unless you have some nearby exposed caves. I always use my first diamond to open a twilight portal as fast as possible.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Ryan Mesure

Jul 29, 2019
Like some of you, I start out digging a hole in the side of a hill, and never move out, just dig a new room. I have always used lava for power, trying to move away from that.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019

The Twilight Forest has a lot of resources that can help you during the early game. The hedge mazes for example are filled with loot such as melon seeds or fire flies, or sheers. The small hallow hills usually have a lot of iron and coal. Not to mention the forest itself, with a broad axe you can quickly gather a lot of wood. But all this loot is meaningless for players who already have an operational base with endgame or even mid-game gear. So my advice would be to turn the TF into your starting mod, alongside of more machine or tool based starting mods such as TiC.

The "hovel of shame" as others have called their starter base, can be made in the TF with wood from canopy trees, and thus much more spacious and less shameful.

1. I usually start with a "vanilla speed start" to get the stone tools in less than 5 minutes.
  2. Then I gather a small stack of wood (about 48 wood blocks), hunt for enough food to last for a couple of MC-days.(about 12 pork or equivalent)
  3. At the end of the first day, or second day if I'm unlucky, I dig down to Y-11/12 (2 by 1 straight down) and mine till I find at least 4 diamonds. (I make a Certus quarts pick to mine them) (1 for the TF portal, 1 for stone hammer, 2 for enchanting table)
  4. Then I'll go back to the surface, secure a location for the TF portal (so I won't get mobbed if I come back) and enter the Twilight Forest.

The lich tower usually has a few bits of material you usually need to go to the nether for. I may not be enough to avoid going to the nether eventually, but you only need one soul sand block to scan with thaumometer. And only 8 netherrack for the TE magma crucible. And only 4 glowstone dust for a IC2 Jet-pack (actually, there is a lot of glowstone in hallow hills) The druid huts always have a bit of netherrack.
The rivers give easy access to clay and the random water pools have loads of sand around them, so making the TiC smeltery is easy to do here.

I did this on a server once. TBH it was just the exact same thing with extra loot. It's no different to starting in a different biome.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I've made a Direwolf20 1.6 spawn that was literally 20 blocks from a redwood.
Seed: frostedflakes
Ridiculous seed I know xD

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Is that a Natura Redwood or one of those weeds that grow in certain biomes? :D

My first order of business on any new world is to find a 13 block diameter Natura redwood to live in. Using the center block as my ladder support I dig a shaft down to about level 40, then 4 rooms, each at the 4 compass points. 1 is my farm, another is my smelter. The 3rd is my Ore berry room and the 4th for machines and/or magic, whatever I start first. If I need more room I can go either up or down a level, depending on the water table.

I usually end up with a lost mine directly beneath the tree at some point, or at least a chasm leading to one. I also start my turtle excavations at level 40 to avoid destroying the surface.

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
I've forced myself to do something different on every world, but only in terms of initial building site and type of building (disregarding 1st day dirtshack). The last five I've done were, castle built into the side of a mountain, unaesthetic 13x13 tower to the clouds, floating skybase, windmill with rooms underneath, and the most recent, underwater Atlantis-dome.

Once you get past the starting aesthetics, my actual gameplay is fairly streamlined; punch wood, make vanilla pick, get stone, either TiCo hammer (if there's clay/gravel/sand nearby) or vanilla pick), dig down, dig out, go into mining trance for the next several hours. Go to bed late, wake up late, make excuse at work why I'm 20 minutes late, YouTube/google new mods that I want to play with, go home, start up tech with the materials from the midnight mining. Profit?

Reactions: PierceSG

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I love new worlds ! They hold the promise of a better experience new things to find and do. How I vary each start is:

A) Different kind of base design. I will vary the material, shape, size, location, number of buildings, above/below ground, etc.,. I try for as much variance as possible without making it a pain in the arse for logistics, food, and power.

-- and --

B) The mods I go with beyond the basic "resource" mods.

My usual start is:

1. Wander around ~20+ minutes until I find a decent spot to call home, which is ideally Forest + Extreme Hills + Ocean intersection
2. Wood --> TiCo --> log cabin --> mining --> Smeltery
3. Improve my food supply
4. IC2, TE3, or other for ore processing and power beyond Smeltery
5a. Once I find all 6 shards, I jump into TC4 ASAP and research and scan as much as possible
5b. Get started breeding trees and bees
6. Re-build (improve) base

I started MagicFarm2 over a month ago and that changed my usual start quite a lot. I had to make sure I had a good food supply and have decent armor and weapons at all times. I prefer TiCo tools and weapons over vanilla ones *and* I like long-tail, involving projects, so MF2 was a great fit for me.

I debated with Horizons and doing RotaryCraft from the start, but went with MF2 instead since I wanted to focus on more back-to-nature crops, less tech., and more magic, and also have a longer early game. Indeed, it took me several real-life weeks to exit the early game, which was not a bad thing. Struggling for resources and food while watching one's back at all times and being prepared to run for it is a good, fun kind of challenge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Birello and Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
One weird thing I actually frequently do, modpack permitting, is find a bunch of clay and make 1 or 2 coal coke ovens. Even on day 1. I just really love the extra early game energy you get from coal coke, free charcoal and free creosote.[DOUBLEPOST=1391802164][/DOUBLEPOST]Slightly on-topic: I may wanna start a new world soon, and wanna do a gregtech one next. Is there a modpack with up-to-date GT on it?

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
One weird thing I actually frequently do, modpack permitting, is find a bunch of clay and make 1 or 2 coal coke ovens. Even on day 1. I just really love the extra early game energy you get from coal coke, free charcoal and free creosote.[DOUBLEPOST=1391802164][/DOUBLEPOST]Slightly on-topic: I may wanna start a new world soon, and wanna do a gregtech one next. Is there a modpack with up-to-date GT on it?

Not from FTB, no. The short version is : GT is too difficult to maintain and support.

Here is a good thread with details.

However, many people have had success mixing GT in with other modpacks, even ones that include TiCo.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Not from FTB, no. The short version is : GT is too difficult to maintain and support.

Here is a good thread with details.

However, many people have had success mixing GT in with other modpacks, even ones that include TiCo.
Better response than I really could have hoped for. I'm a bit terrified of tinkering with the modpack manually but what must be done must be done, and I apparently I must undergo the self-hatred ritual that is single-player GT resource gathering.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
I start by punching wood, killing animals for food, and then look for an ideal place to live. I normally like large plains area, or a really thick mountain to build the face of my base in. Though lately, I've found it a pain to find nodes in a mountain biome, so I try to abstain from making a mountain base anymore. Afterwards, I go mining for a long time, then come back up, get started with whatever early game ore doubling I had decided to start with, and build some early machines, including the Igneous Extruder. Then I leave my computer running, and come back to find several stacks of stone there. Make bricks / whatever I want and expand my base to whatever I want. Challenge is keeping in mind all the mods that I want to try. Then mining, Nether lava exploit for power, TiC right afterwards, etc., etc.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Better response than I really could have hoped for. I'm a bit terrified of tinkering with the modpack manually but what must be done must be done, and I apparently I must undergo the self-hatred ritual that is single-player GT resource gathering.

If you're looking for a way to extend (and make more difficult) the early-game, try MagicFarm2. It's built around IguanaTweaks, HungerOverhaul, and InfernalMobs, all of which make the early game much more difficult/longer. Even mid and late-game, you cannot ignore food needs and you will run into mobs that will hand you your arse if you're not careful. The modpack gives you ways to improve your food, weapons, armor, and technology, but none are easy or quick.