Peoples Favorite Starting Routines on a new server/world

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

HappyGamerMike

Jul 29, 2019
So heres the thing,
I've noticed (It's been pointed out by friends) that I'm very repetitive with my starting routine and my continuing play when I join a new server or start a new world. building design that sort of thing tend to remain the same. So I've been trying to come up with a new style of play for early game by tring to stay away from Thermal Expansion and trying other early game play mods, new building style, the works as kind of challenge for myself. It then made me wonder how other people start a new game.

Is it just me, or are other repetitive as well? How do other players like to start out a new game?

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Try out Ars Magica as a starting mod. Most people only use it for FTB and it's actually a challenge. A bit expensive, but should get you started nicely and learn all the nifty survival aspects of Ars Magica and not only the PVP part of it. I did it once, and it was kinda difficult to get the ball rolling, but it really changed the outlook of the mod for me. Still hate Hecates though.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Honestly I dont see anything wrong in having a starting routine. I like to try and improve upon it, and by doing so I do experiment a bit every time, but the general direction is the same.

One thing that I have recently started putting more emphasis on when starting, is actually building something. Noone says I have to live in a cave or cobble box for the first quarter of the game. Specially not now with easier access to cool new types of rocks etc. So I try to find a nice unique landscape and build some nice architecture there early on, despite that I will move out of it once I am out of the "early game".

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly I dont see anything wrong in having a starting routine. I like to try and improve upon it, and by doing so I do experiment a bit every time, but the general direction is the same.

One thing that I have recently started putting more emphasis on when starting, is actually building something. Noone says I have to live in a cave or cobble box for the first quarter of the game. Specially not now with easier access to cool new types of rocks etc. So I try to find a nice unique landscape and build some nice architecture there early on, despite that I will move out of it once I am out of the "early game".
What I love to do is build a cave in a mountainside then expand to fill the whole mountain and make everything look nice. :D

HappyGamerMike

Jul 29, 2019

I quite agree theres nothing wrong with repetitive at all, but I'm certainly after a new challenge. what I've just found on this new Single play server mind is a Jade Forest which I'm now setting up a new home in. I'm going on the Ars Magicka 2 idea and building this place to look like a shaolin monk village. I've actually never touched Ars Magicka 2 so this is all new to me.

Jeremuz

Jul 29, 2019
I generally start by chopping down a tree, then getting stone tools and then a chest in a nice clearing.
I get maybe 3 stacks of planks and make a starter house, then proceed to the nearest hill for my mine.
After that it's either Thermal Expansion or Thaumcraft 4.
Started playing around with Tinker's in my current world.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
In my current world (1 week old), I'm actually....I'm actually trying to do it. I'm forcing myself to focus on a somewhat pretty base. I've acquired a ton of white "quarried" stone, and am using BC fillers to flatten terrain and build walls. My TiCo smeltery is churning out a bunch of that pretty glass solely for nice roofs. Spirit gods help me, I'm going to make a non-cinderblock home just one time before I die.[DOUBLEPOST=1391707602][/DOUBLEPOST]
After that it's either Thermal Expansion or Thaumcraft 4.
Is Thaumcraft4 at all useful for early game? What sort of goals do you aim for? (for instance, everyone who starts thermal expansion generally beelines for pulverizer with good reason)

I always skip the magic mods for some reason and would like to switch things up a tiny bit.

Jeremuz

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft 4 doesn't really give you much early game use, but getting the research started ASAP is a must. The starter materials are pretty cheap, just the 6 different crystal ores and 2 gold ingots and a glass for the Thaumometer, which you use to gather research points. I generally use Thermal and TiCo together to help speed up my material gathering in order to get thaumcraft running. Golems are the best when it comes to general labor haha.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm embarassingly intimidated by learning to use golems, but everyone seems to think they're uber. I'll give it a go :)

Jeremuz

Jul 29, 2019
It's a headache trying to research specific items or knowledge. My advice is to make multiple research notes and use the ones with the nodes closest to one another. You can find any spoilers for recipes or help with getting started at the ftb wiki for thaumcraft :)
Good luck!

Reactions: Pyure

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
Tinkers Construct, Stone Pick, Mattocks. Find a cliff dig in and make a mining staging room. Get 18 iron, couple stacks of clay, sand and gravel make a smeltery. Tool forge, stone hammer, excavator and lumber axe. Find jungle sapplings, MFR and IC rubber trees. Make Tinkers scyth and attack grass for seeds (I play lots of farming mods so there are LOTS of seeds) start farms. Lately been using GregTech in a pack and some kind of recipe hang up locks me out of buckets till I have a plate bending machine so from here I try to shoot towards that, and a rolling machine for 1to1 plates. From here sorting and item transport from the mine to the base, so I don't have to go back when my inventory is full. Setup up a small TE sorting area with ingot processing and start building an outside structure. From here it's generally just filling the needs as they arise; generally through building item farms for whatever is needed at the moment.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
I generally play single player so my routine might be a little different from someone on a server
1) Explore, make sure this world has what I want for the builds I have in my head. Most recently this has meant a largeish desert close by.
2) If I like the world, give self thaumcraft cheatsheet - no I am not researching everything again, 3 times is enough.
3) Build hovel of shame, this should only last until after the first couple of mining trips.
4) Get TiCo started.
5) Start farming, that hunger bar isn't going to fill itself and death by hunger is really easy with Hunger Overhaul installed.
6)Thermal expansion until I can get other ore processing started.
7) Get started with dartcraft.
8) Build base of base. Generally a tower of some sort, potentially a sky tower. Most recently this has actually meant taking over some of the buildings in a village that they weren't using.
9) The area is secure sir! Expand ore processing to maximize output of various metals (mostly gold and silver) using various mods.
10) Start on renewables, Build iron golem farm(s). Start automating emerald production (might take a while). Get covered in bees. Magical crops, etc.
11) Make base nicer, safer expand perimeter, install magnum torches and remove obnoxious lighting.

From there it's more of a game of 'what are we going to do tonight Brain?'

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
  1. Punch a tree or 2
  2. bed
  3. DC clipboard
  4. roam untill a nice area has been found (killing animals and looting villages/dungeons along the way)
  5. TiC tool forge
  6. stone TiC hammer
  7. 3x5 tunnel down to lvl 11 and branch mine untill alumite can be made or steel is found (mineshaft)
  8. Start TE, TiC make smeltry
  9. nether (bucket portal if needed) and get cobalt and ardite
  10. craft best tools available
  11. DC T5 infuser and enjoy the bags
  12. TE
  13. build stuff

No actual house will be made, I generally quit that world before that. Wich leads to area's like this:
RBPQjKW.jpg

Last edited:

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Play as a nomad- explore, cave, wonder aimlessly across the server until I find somewhere I like. (usually a few km, thats right- a few thousand!) blocks from spawn.

Once I hit a nice spot, settle in and spread out. Design with some form of aesthetic instead of vomiting tech over the surface.

Invite friends to join server/make friends, connect bases via nether.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Tinkers Construct, Stone Pick, Mattocks. Find a cliff dig in and make a mining staging room. Get 18 iron, couple stacks of clay, sand and gravel make a smeltery. Tool forge, stone hammer, excavator and lumber axe. Find jungle sapplings, MFR and IC rubber trees. Make Tinkers scyth and attack grass for seeds (I play lots of farming mods so there are LOTS of seeds) start farms. Lately been using GregTech in a pack and some kind of recipe hang up locks me out of buckets till I have a plate bending machine so from here I try to shoot towards that, and a rolling machine for 1to1 plates. From here sorting and item transport from the mine to the base, so I don't have to go back when my inventory is full. Setup up a small TE sorting area with ingot processing and start building an outside structure. From here it's generally just filling the needs as they arise; generally through building item farms for whatever is needed at the moment.

What pack are you using with gregtech? If you've managed to incorporate a recent version of GT into a pack, I wanna do whatever it is you're doing. I assume you're not doing that in the same world as your TiCo game :p :p

What on earth is a mattock good for? I tend to beeline for hammer which is just so win.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
What pack are you using with gregtech? If you've managed to incorporate a recent version of GT into a pack, I wanna do whatever it is you're doing. I assume you're not doing that in the same world as your TiCo game :p :p

What on earth is a mattock good for? I tend to beeline for hammer which is just so win.
I know some people have gotten GT and TiCo to work together (Ako comes to mind)
as for the mattock, it is an axe, shovel and hoe all in one and if your playing MagicFarm2 it is probably the only hoe you're going to get unless you luck out with the loot.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Punch a tree, make an axe, cut down a atree, make a sword, kill some sheep, make a bed. Walk the earth in search of a village next to an oil spout, raiding villages as I go along, watching out for free smeltery blocks, and grabbing every piston.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking