Arcane Infusion... Something's not right...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Jul 29, 2019
So, I'm trying my first arcane infusion, trying to make the portable hole, I put the three shards and 4 nether quartz onto pedestals with the ender pearl in the middle, I have 4 jars, each with the required aspect *more than said to be needed in thaumonomicon* but now, all the items have been sucked up from pedestals, all the aspect requirements have been met, but the matrix just keeps on going and sucking up the aspects, and the ender pearl is still an ender pearl... Am I doing something wrong? Am I supposed to manually finish the process?

Vtecem

Jul 29, 2019
Odds are one of the items was broken, lost or fell of the pedestal during the process.

Probably this, it probably destroyed an item instead of sucking it up. If you weren't looking right at it you could have easily have missed it. If it doesn't work or something is missing the altar just continues sucking aspects until it gets what it needs.

Jul 29, 2019
Probably this, it probably destroyed an item instead of sucking it up. If you weren't looking right at it you could have easily have missed it. If it doesn't work or something is missing the altar just continues sucking aspects until it gets what it needs.
Ok, if im looking at an item, how do I know if its sucked up or destroyed? And this purple stuff?

Vtecem

Jul 29, 2019
Umm, I tried again, same thing happened, except it also spawned the purple taint liquid which is now on my roof, how do I get rid of that?

When this happens it's flux that is created and the item is generally destroyed or is just popped off the pedestal. You either need to infuse outside or you can place blocks in order to get rid of the flux that is laying around.

If this happens during infusion, make sure to replace the item that is lost, otherwise you'll run into issues and it won't work.[DOUBLEPOST=1389724782][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ok, if im looking at an item, how do I know if its sucked up or destroyed? And this purple stuff?

If you pay attention you'll notice a difference... When they are sucked up, there is a particle effect that shows the item dissolving towards the middle. If its knocked off, you'll sometimes get a lightening effect, sometimes the flux appears...

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
^ this. Infusion crafting is not a set and forget method, it needs constant supervision. You can reduce the odds of things going wrong by putting monster heads or thaumcraft candles around the alter. I usually have my alter set up in a 7x7 arrangement with the pillars on the outside and all the available empty space filled with candles and then hang up some heads anywhere they fit. Also try and make sure stuff is evenly distributed.

Also note that the whole cleanup by placing a block might be going away in the near future/already has gone away.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
When this happens it's flux that is created and the item is generally destroyed or is just popped off the pedestal. You either need to infuse outside or you can place blocks in order to get rid of the flux that is laying around.
I blew it on an infusion last night and when I aborted the process, it generated a deeper patch of flux that I can't place a block in. I'm about half-tempted to dig a hole through the ground to get rid of it ;)

Vtecem

Jul 29, 2019
I blew it on an infusion last night and when I aborted the process, it generated a deeper patch of flux that I can't place a block in. I'm about half-tempted to dig a hole through the ground to get rid of it ;)

Most of the flux I've created from infusing has the floating effect and is stuck on my ceiling. I've not encountered the flux that can't be removed from placing a block.

Also, I can't wait until flux is able to be managed in a normal way vs placing blocks to remove said flux.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Most of the flux I've created from infusing has the floating effect and is stuck on my ceiling. I've not encountered the flux that can't be removed from placing a block.

Also, I can't wait until flux is able to be managed in a normal way vs placing blocks to remove said flux.
I made quite a lot of flux because of a rather notably large case of STUPID I'd apparently been drinking. That said, there was also a serious case of 'wow, I didn't know that'* and 'holy crap, that SUCKS'** by the time I was done. So the flux pool I have is probably deeper than most. I probably ended up with close 100 essentia of various types wasted before I aborted the process.

*Your essentia decays in the infusion chamber in the same way it decays in a cauldron. This is probably not an issue if the infusion is carried out quickly and normally.

** it decays FAST

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019

When the flux gets deep i have found that letting it spread out will allow you to clean it up the normal way. Just break the blocks that you have keeping it trapped and let it flow out. Then use dirt or something to clean it up.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
When the flux gets deep i have found that letting it spread out will allow you to clean it up the normal way. Just break the blocks that you have keeping it trapped and let it flow out. Then use dirt or something to clean it up.
oh. ok. that's...logical. dammit. I stopped expecting LOGICAL and THAUMCRAFT to be in the same thought.

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
It's worth noting that a portable hole should probably not be your first infusion. It's relatively expensive, complex, and you're liable to waste a lot of relatively rare essentia if you don't know what you're doing.

Flux goo evaporates after a while, and isn't really a big deal unless its deep enough to spawn slimes. Flux gas needs to be released into the atmosphere, so I'd recommend either doing your infusions outdoors, or having an easily retractible roof.

That said, with a properly stable infusion setup, you really should almost never generate any flux. I get way more flux out of my crucible from the dribs and drabs of essentia left over from golem crafting.

I made quite a lot of flux because of a rather notably large case of STUPID I'd apparently been drinking. That said, there was also a serious case of 'wow, I didn't know that'* and 'holy crap, that SUCKS'** by the time I was done. So the flux pool I have is probably deeper than most. I probably ended up with close 100 essentia of various types wasted before I aborted the process.

Making a little flux pool a ways away from your base is actually a really excellent way of farming flux goo from the thaumic slimes that spawn from the pool. Just don't overdo it, and don't do it in a confined space. Someone on my server tossed half a barrel's worth of cobble into a crucible and ended up getting killed repeatedly by a couple thousand twenty-foot-tall slimes.

Last edited:

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
It's worth noting that a portable hole should probably not be your first infusion. It's relatively expensive, complex, and you're liable to waste a lot of relatively rare essentia if you don't know what you're doing.

Flux goo evaporates after a while, and isn't really a big deal unless its deep enough to spawn slimes. Flux gas needs to be released into the atmosphere, so I'd recommend either doing your infusions outdoors, or having an easily retractible roof.

That said, with a properly stable infusion setup, you really should almost never generate any flux. I get way more flux out of my crucible from the dribs and drabs of essentia left over from golem crafting.

Making a little flux pool a ways away from your base is actually a really excellent way of farming flux goo from the thaumic slimes that spawn from the pool. Just don't overdo it, and don't do it in a confined space. Someone on my server tossed half a barrel's worth of cobble into a crucible and ended up getting killed repeatedly by a couple thousand twenty-foot-tall slimes.

O.O
MUST DO THIS!!!

Jul 29, 2019

Ok, thanks for this :)[DOUBLEPOST=1389732351][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, can you get research points any other way than scanning items with thaumonomicon? *if not, does that mean that there's a finite number of research points you can ever get?*
Can you charge your wand in a different way than aura nodes?

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I can answer the last question, at least. If your wand is on your action bar, you'll pick up the little essentia orbs when you kill mobs. That will charge a some aspects of a wand pretty quickly in an active environment (say...a roguelike)

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, thanks for this :)[DOUBLEPOST=1389732351][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, can you get research points any other way than scanning items with thaumonomicon? *if not, does that mean that there's a finite number of research points you can ever get?*

And yes there are two other ways to get research points, 1) deconstruction table, and 2) placing bookshelves and crystal clusters around your research table area will generate 1 point of each primal aspects (aer, terra, ignis, etc) but only once those aspects have dropped to zero. There was another post on here explaining in detail.. I'll see if I can find it.

Reactions: Padfoote

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019

Put a bunch of bookshelves and crystal clusters near your research table. Those will light up aspects in your research table and regenerate them every so often when the quantity hits zero so you never run out. Scanning players can give you four research points for four random aspects, and scanning aura nodes will give you a ton of primal aspects. You can also make a deconstruction table, but aside from making one just for the hell of it, I never used mine. Basically, as long as you're scanning things regularly, you shouldn't even come close to running out of research points. Just remember that you can combine basic aspects to make more complex ones, and you should be good to go.

As for wand charging, it can be a bit of a pain, since there's usually at least one "problem aspect" that doesn't seem to show up often in the nodes near your base. I recommend prioritizing getting a silverwood wand and the node in a jar research early, and starting to amass a node collection as soon as you can. Having a couple nodes placed next to a wand recharge station and a spare wand that can charge up while you work is a huge, huge timesaver. I've got nine nodes arrayed around a pair of wand recharge stations in my base, with two spare silverwood wands. Whenever I run out of vis, I just swap my wand out for one of the wands in the recharge stations and continue about my business. Having three full wands on hand also lets me do things like 200+ vis enchants in my Osmotic Enchanter and still have a full wand left over for other things.

Last edited:

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Just some more stuff on infusion: Try attaching a hopper to the pedestals, they are apparently inventories and if you have enough resources you can prevent the runaway infusion. Also if you run into flux that a block cannot clean up try a bucket of water directly on the goo. you might have to spam it a bit (I've only ever seen this done, have yet to get back into thaumcraft) but it should help clean those difficult to reach areas...

Trentin996

Jul 29, 2019
When I infuse stuff, I always back up my game. If you need to know how to, open up two folders, in one search for either .minecraft on windows 8 or if you have earlier versions, search %appdata%. When you get to your .minecraft folder, go to saves. In the other folder you have open, you can name it whatever you want, but copy and paste your save into the folder. If something ever goes wrong, you can just copy and paste your backup save into your saves file and everything is back to normal.