The Term end game and resource collection.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I always invented interesting end goals before playing. Stuff like build a fully functional, multidimensional weapons factory. Then engage in a battle with friends. If I reach this point I come up with a new goal. If this new goal is too easy to achieve with the material I currently possess, that's when I install ICBM and go from there.

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
Thats why the mindcrack server became so popular because I think that's what many minecraft players want and need... it would be smart to run a like minded server and im sure there are many out there but the best are the non public whitelisted ones

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

thewindmillman

Jul 29, 2019
See, i think the biggest problem here is that most of you have these specific 'goals' you're trying to achieve.

I have never really played modded MC in single player, it's usually with a friend or two on a private server. When we go to play a world, we don't really have any goals. At best, we have some vague notion like 'lets do this thing' or why don't we build something like that sometime?', but never really a solidified goal. Really, we just screw around and do whatever happens to be striking our fancy at the time, which is what Minecraft is best for imo. Because of this, our worlds have lasted for months, even with us on playing for 6+ hours a day at times.
This same attitude usually goes with our vanilla multiplayer or even any of my singleplayer worlds.

Try it out sometime. Start a new world, or join a server, and just do, without any real goals set beforehand.

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
I guess being a person who need periodically spaced lights and lamps as well as having almost OC issues with mc that its hard not to set goals when entering a world... ive just alwaus wanted to achieve something great you know

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
See, i think the biggest problem here is that most of you have these specific 'goals' you're trying to achieve.

I have never really played modded MC in single player, it's usually with a friend or two on a private server. When we go to play a world, we don't really have any goals. At best, we have some vague notion like 'lets do this thing' or why don't we build something like that sometime?', but never really a solidified goal. Really, we just screw around and do whatever happens to be striking our fancy at the time, which is what Minecraft is best for imo. Because of this, our worlds have lasted for months, even with us on playing for 6+ hours a day at times.
This same attitude usually goes with our vanilla multiplayer or even any of my singleplayer worlds.

Try it out sometime. Start a new world, or join a server, and just do, without any real goals set beforehand.

That's great, for you. Not everyone enjoys things this way. Many people relax through structure and goal oriented gaming. It is not a problem. The assumption that those that play with goals in mind, however short term they be, are getting less out of a game(Fun or otherwise) is stupidly wrong.

Fun and long lasting are not mutually exclusive. Hell, fun is mutually exclusive with nothing.

Reactions: PierceSG

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
I had to quit my last main world because like many people have said I had all the resources I could ever need so I got bored. I ended up having to add GregTech in my next world, and I didn't get bored with it. However now that Greg went insane idk what I'm going to do.

Reactions: zorn

thewindmillman

Jul 29, 2019
That's great, for you. Not everyone enjoys things this way. Many people relax through structure and goal oriented gaming. It is not a problem. The assumption that those that play with goals in mind, however short term they be, are getting less out of a game(Fun or otherwise) is stupidly wrong.

Fun and long lasting are not mutually exclusive. Hell, fun is mutually exclusive with nothing.

i never said that having goals is wrong or less fun (i do quite enjoy working to and achieving goals in many things as well), just that it probably makes the game last a lot less.
no no no, i was not in any way saying that. all i'm trying to say is maybe if you introduced a little more....chaos into your playstyle it might make your worlds last longer, which i believe is what this discussion is mainly about.

again, just in case it isn't clear enough: i'm talking about play length, not quality.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I had to quit my last main world because like many people have said I had all the resources I could ever need so I got bored. I ended up having to add GregTech in my next world, and I didn't get bored with it. However now that Greg went insane idk what I'm going to do.

Set your own goals, limits, and rules. I'd start with what you liked most about GregTech, pre-insane, and build on that.

One idea is to change how you gather resources. Rather than going for the 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd-most efficient technique, try something totally new/different that is intentionally inefficient, but without it being a tedious grind.

If you're into industrial-type stuff, try RotaryCraft or SC2 for auto-mining.

If you're into more natural stuff, try bees and crops like Magic Bees, Gendustry, and Magical Crops.

As for tools and armor, try something totally different/new. If you haven't tried TiCo, give that a shot. If you haven't tried TE3's Redstone Arsenal, give that a shot. If you haven't tried TC4, that's very fun. I love hurling exploding, fiery bats at creepers and blowing *them* up :)

Reactions: Tristam Izumi

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I find the most fun designing systems. Thing is, what is one activity around which you can build lots of systems? Resource gathering! Once that goal is taken care of I often struggle to find activities/projects that require new systems. I'll go back and refine existing systems but eventually I run out of steam(figuratively).

Reactions: zorn

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I undersand your perspective and you know it costs nothing but time to start over.... hell ive swapped over many servers as i have slowly seen them go to ruin... I guess some people have more out going and unique goals which make them exceptional memorable players and others have more simplistic goals that they get satisfaction from personally...

You know, I really find this post offensive.

Just because I am not doing exactly what you are doing does not make my goals any less "unique" or "exceptional". It does not make me any less "memorable" and it does not make them "simplistic".

I really think you need to watch how you're thinking about this; just because they aren't your goals does not make them inferior.

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
Not once did I refer to myself having either one of those goal sets... nor did I refer to you as the simplistic party... you took on that role yourself.

I am a man who takes on great and simplistic goals... I take pride in doing things like my first automation which others probably have perfected and improves way better than I can imagine... but I did it for myself and so its a simplistic goal which I gain personal satisfaction from... on the other hand I build massive complex power system which a completely ridiculous but make people stare in amazement. This does not make me any better than the guy who made his first automated steam boiler.
You took offence tp that post becaaue you took it apon yourself to see either one party as the less and you automatically put yourself into that party. You did harm to yourself as it was not my doing...

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
I do apologise as it is midnight and I am using a touch screen so please excuse my spelling mistakes... I made a mistake and did not read over to correct them.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
My steel-beamed Iron Block and Hardened Glass office building isn't going to get built if I don't have mass produced/harvested resources. I do enjoy the start and ramp-up parts of FTB, but when that is no longer an obstacle I set my sights higher and forge ahead.

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to do the same and who doesnt like a bit of infrastructure in their mc game? I like the struggle but that can only be taken so far before I get annoyed... for instance mining for iron for normal needa is great. When it comes to building a base out of iron blocks then having an iron trench or any kind of iron farm is the way to go...

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Nowadays, for more resources, I just use MFR's Laser Drills and build more power generators. Mob farms too for certain other stuffs.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Not once did I refer to myself having either one of those goal sets... nor did I refer to you as the simplistic party... you took on that role yourself.

I am a man who takes on great and simplistic goals... I take pride in doing things like my first automation which others probably have perfected and improves way better than I can imagine... but I did it for myself and so its a simplistic goal which I gain personal satisfaction from... on the other hand I build massive complex power system which a completely ridiculous but make people stare in amazement. This does not make me any better than the guy who made his first automated steam boiler.
You took offence tp that post becaaue you took it apon yourself to see either one party as the less and you automatically put yourself into that party. You did harm to yourself as it was not my doing...

Sorry, I probably phrased my post rather poorly.

What I was trying to get at was that, to me, all of the phrasing taken together seemed rather condescending. I believe you that it wasn't meant that way, it's just worth thinking about the way that we say things. :)

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
I was not trying to offend anyone in that post nor did I want to start a fued with you. I guess my mind runs away with thing without considering how other people may perceive what I write...

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
I think the best platform at the moment to build around is farms... it allows you to make something with a return in investment. It could be automated mining or it could be making a sheep of every colour which is harvested automatically... Either way these provide great platforms for people to use their imagination on.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I was not trying to offend anyone in that post nor did I want to start a fued with you. I guess my mind runs away with thing without considering how other people may perceive what I write...

Okay, now kiss and make up.