GregTech

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zmaster27

Jul 29, 2019
Whats everyones opinions on Gregtech, i've seen plenty of opinions but i was wondering what the general consensus is.
My personal opinion: overcomplexifies and makes everything a little too expensive/time consuming

Thoughts?

Reactions: Estrong

Excalibur42

Jul 29, 2019
I think it adds really cool stuff, but goes a bit too far in making a lot of other things higher tiers than they need to be. Good end-game material but needs a little bit more tweaking and balancing.

Reactions: Estrong

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure why you thought you'd see different opinions here than elsewhere. All it's likely to be is a rehash of everything you've already seen.

I personally don't care for the extra tier of machines GregTech adds. I don't care for much of its additions at all as half of them are redundant and expensive "alternatives" to other mods (often with lesser functionality) and the other half are overkill. I think the three big things it messed with to start with, solar power, electric tools, and UU Matter, are all things that were overused by many players and drove quite a few alternatives to obsolescence including some things within IC2 itself. They were obtainable too early. Making those harder to obtain gets people to use items they never did before, such as IC2 Bronze Tools, and the Mass Fabricator is hardly more innocent than EE2. Of course that's where GregTech should probably have stopped, and it probably went a little too far by introducing such obscure items as the requirements, such as silicon cells. Pretty much everything about it is overkill, both in what it adds and in what it changes. I don't think it's the terrible monster people paint it as, but he probably should have taken the usually reliable advice/phrase to heart: Keep It Simple, Stupid. (Not calling Gregorious stupid, that's just how the phrase goes.)

Reactions: Hoff and Golrith

tinfoilchef

Jul 29, 2019
I think some of the things GT adds are cool however I cannot help but object to it's altering other mods. At the very least it makes for unnecessary confusion when people go looking at mod wiki's to find out how stuff works only to discover that the wiki appears wrong because GT has changed the mod. I say let GT concern itself with GT and leave other mods alone. If I were a mod developer I would take severe exception to GT meddling in my mod and would probably attempt to code some way to prevent it or as a last resort, deliberately force incompatibility with GT. 'course I'd also make a point of informing users of my mod that GT is meddling in it, changing it so that it no longer behaves the way I wanted it to.

GT needs a config option, true by default, that prevents it from making any alterations to other mods. Those who want the changes GT makes would need only set it to false.

Reactions: GreenWolf13

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
I really like the high end things gregtech brings and think that the balancing is great, except its reliance on iridium ore. This is the major stumbling block imo for gregtech, it slows down early game, end game is great with high end complex machines but the mid tier struggles due to everything needing one ore that can only be effectively mined in the nether (which is being nerfed) or abusing mystcraft.

I do have to agree with Tinfoilchef about the changing of other peoples mods.... it borders on arrogance when you take someones mod and alter it because you think 'its not good enough' rather than make your own. Why has gregtech piggy backed on the hard work of IC2 and yet has changed it to make it 'better'. Seems dodgy to me.

Reactions: GreenWolf13

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
I wish it would just add what it adds and not mess with 'balancing' the rest of the mods. Like people said it adds some cool stuff, and it's good that that stuff is expensive, but messing with the other recipes is a bit much.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
I will watching this thread.

Your own opinions are fine but don't force it on others.
No need to quote other people since this is asking only for YOUR opinion.

ff255away

Jul 29, 2019
Don't get me wrong, I love many of the mods in this modpack. But there is so much overlap and that Gregtech is kind of stupid to include for anything but its insane potential energy production. I mean, who's going to build a macerater with 3 diamonds when they can get the same effect with thermal expansion for a fraction of the cost? Or, they can follow factorization's tech tree and get 3-4 times the ore instead of just x2 with a macerater.

I really, really like what Gregtech does for IC2. There is no reason Steve should be able to go from stone age to space age tools just because he's discovered the power of rubber. And the speed at which you can do it is stupid too- it takes an hour to get to nano armor and mining lasers for an experienced player, and from there you can easily abandon the need for resources in just a couple of extra hours. Sure, your base is going to be ugly as hell, but who cares when you're now playing creative mode? But that balance is utterly stupid when you have 64x64 buildcraft quarries being powered by redstone energy cells, teleporting their goods back to your fully automated sorting system with ender chests. And you can achieve this without any IC2 machines (besides the ones required to process IC2 ores). There is no challenge in that; gregtech just makes the IC2 (and its accompanying mods) tech tree valuable exclusively for it's creative mode armor and tools.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
I have issues with GregTech on many levels.

I spent a couple of hours today learning the ropes with RailCraft. I had all kinds of new devices to make and then devices to link devices and then I had to learn where to put the devices and what they would do and after a bit of fiddling and tweaking...voila. I had something nifty. Very steep learning curve (maybe less so if you're a train enthusiast), and even once you know what everything does it will still be just like RP frames...you still have to think about design in terms of how you want things to behave and then how best to make them behave that way within the rules defined by the mod author. And the more complex and involved the project, the more challenging it becomes to manage all of the behaviors.

THAT, to me, is challenge.

Not, "Thou shalt evermore have to dig four times as much and wait four times as long for your machines to finish working because I, the glorious mod author, have deemed that grinding and waiting is the true meaning of challenge."

That in of itself is reason for me to preserve zero interest in the mod, and there are even more things of the drama llama variety that pretty much guarantee I'll never support his work.

LimpLungs

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I love it. Yes it has made my life alot harder, but it adds a feeling of complexity to the game. I force myself to use it, and have grown to like it! I cant just go and make a mass fabricator in the first day of playing :)

Xen0n

Jul 29, 2019
My original opinion of Gregtech was horrible, I came from another infamous mod pack that I won't name and promptly tried to make a solar panel from memory. When it wouldn't create it I looked at the recipe and was horrified to find that it needed silicon cells and other more complicated materials.

Since then though, I am loving that it has made things like renewable power a more semi-endgame item. It makes worlds last longer for me before having infinite resources and being bored.

I like the matterfabricator being very hard to make, makes UU-Matter harder to come by and other things that add a challenge to the game

So, to cut a (semi)long story short, I love gregtech and hope that they don't remove it from the FTB pack

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
I like the stuff it adds. With 1.4.5 it gives me reason to go to the End, and what I would call easier method of gathering iridium, though complicating the process of making it a plate. I like that is has some really end game stuff that uses up a million components so I don't just sit on piles of valuable ores with nothing to use them on. I think it goes a bit far sometimes with the amount it changes in other mods, but I think the mod is fun overall. I am really enjoying the new multiblock structures he has added with 1.4.5 too, I am a sucker for those.

PieExplosion

Jul 29, 2019
I think my own opinion may be changing ^^" all seem to have excellent points so far :)
My opinion of it changed twice.

At first, I thought it was stupid, because it did all sorts of weird crap rather cryptic.
After learning it, I thought it was kind of neat.
Now, after grinding through over 4 stacks of Iridium, uuugggghhh. I'm tired and giving up on it. There's nothing neat, interesting, or useful enough in GregTech that warrants this level of grinding. Pretty much all of the machines are annoying to use and will be completely out-classed by RP2 machines when they return. The machines are still as vulnerable to damage as stone. The default GUIs look like they were rushed in Paint. His tacky yellow G is everywhere like an annoying web-advertisement. The recipe nerfs... ugh... the recipe nerfs...

The ONLY positive thing I have about GregTech is the implementation of some ore dictionary stuff to some recipes.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I will watching this thread.
Your own opinions are fine but don't force it on others.
No need to quote other people since this is asking only for YOUR opinion.
Just close it now, Gregtech is one of those polarizing things people will get their panties in a bunch on both sides and you'll have more work to do, so save yourself some overwatching :D

Reactions: Zmaster27

Rikki21

Jul 29, 2019
My opinion is that there doesn't need to be 50000 threads on the same topic...

Indeed. Isn't there already a debate thread on this somewhere with 3+ pages? No need to clutter the forum with the same debate over and over in different threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.