Too many Diamonds in Unleashed

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DWLooney

Jul 29, 2019
So, recently acquired 36 diamonds withing 30 mins of wander mining, and only a single unenchanted iron pick. Does anyone else think this is too much?

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
What is RNG? I don't even know that ore generation exist in unleashed. I thought they are there when the chunks are created

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
I have noticed much bigger veins (7-8 ores) in newly explored chunks. I dont recall my earlier caving expeditions around spawn revealing much more than 4 ores per vein.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
I have noticed much bigger veins (7-8 ores) in newly explored chunks. I dont recall my earlier caving expeditions around spawn revealing much more than 4 ores per vein.

If you're ever curious, you can check out the World.cfg file in the CoFH config directory. It'll tell you exactly what you can expect to find and where you can expect to find it. It will also provide you with very clear indication if any values have been changed relative to their vanilla default. Regarding Unleashed, the values for diamond have not been changed.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
It will also provide you with very clear indication if any values have been changed relative to their vanilla default. Regarding Unleashed, the values for diamond have not been changed.
This is actually not correct IIRC. Each time the config is regenerated it copies the values used into the title of each "ore." The vanilla default for diamond is 1 cluster per chunk up to 8 in each cluster and can spawn below bedrock assuming no flat bedrock.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
This is actually not correct IIRC. Each time the config is regenerated it copies the values used into the title of each "ore." The vanilla default for diamond is 1 cluster per chunk up to 8 in each cluster and can spawn below bedrock assuming no flat bedrock.

Minecraft wiki describes diamond ore as spawning in groups of 1-9 blocks. What I'm trying to do is help dispel this ongoing myth/concern that bad luck/good luck while mining is indicative of a change to spawn rates. The diamond spawn rates are just fine.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
By default in Unleashed CofH core has the same ore generation as vanilla. Are you using MCPC+? I have a suspicion that it also replaces vanilla ore generation, so you could end up with double the ores. Try disabling vanilla augmentation in CofH core and see if it helps in new chunks.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I always find it amusing Enigmius that anytime someone has a lucky or unlucky time with diamonds they run to the forums to go on about how the spawn rate or ore gen for them must of change and that there is no other possibility.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Just looking at the configs is not enough of what to expect for oregen. We will do diamonds as an example.

By default, vanilla generates one cluster of diamond or per chunk, right? Wrong. It ATTEMPTS to generate one cluster per chunk. When, I believe it's, iWorldDecorator is called it chooses a single location (because diamond on makes 1 attempt) and attempts to generate the cluster. Now, to my understanding, it will only replace stone. So if the location it chooses is under Y5, it won't replace the bedrock so you loose some of those diamonds.
Now I'm not sure of the order it happens, but gravel and dirt are randomly populated the same way and replace stone. If diamond is populated after them, it won't replace them. I assume they are populated first since I've never found ores in the center of them.
Now, if I understand correctly, lava, water, and caves do a destructive replacement when populated. This means any block in the area selected for them is replaced with lava source, water source, or air.

This means, yes, potentially you can be the luckiest person in Minecraftia and mine a 9x9 chunk and find 81 full 8 diamond clusters, or be the unluckiest and have the decorator prevent/destroy every diamond ore. Both are a bit extreme, and though highly improbable, not impossible.

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
I can confirm that unleashed has way to much diamonds for my taste. And it is nothing near a vanilla diamond spawn amount.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I don't really know if I want to complain about it, but yet I was also a bit surprised with the amount of diamonds. As soon as you got a turtle/quarry mining, diamonds came in bucketloads. It does seem like several diamond clusters spawn in the same chunk, and the clusters are really big. 7-9 ores per cluster usually. it does kinda shorten the early game a bit(manual mining for desperately needed diamonds).

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
Let us not forget that ftb adds literally hundreds of new things to build, many of which require diamonds.

In vanilla, diamonds go towards what? Tools? Armor? ... An enchanting table? In ftb, many recipes have their usefulness counter-balanced with a weighted cost in resources. I've been re-wiring my base with that IC2 glass-fiber stuff that costs a diamond for half a dozen lengths of it. Half of the applied energistics stuff has a diamond thrown into the middle just to make it expensive. Wanna build solar panels or modular power suit stuff or just about anything else that's expensive? Diamonds, mate. And I'm not even complaining that some of the recipes are or not over-powered/price-inflated/whatever. Take it or leave it, the long and the short of it is that there's WAY more stuff to do with your diamonds now than in vanilla, so finding more/bigger veins of them could, arguably, simply be to balance out the crazy amount of new recipes.

Diamonds are also no longer the rarest items in the game. Uranium can be a pain to get a hold of, depending on what you're doing. Iridium is the rarest thing in the game, and in unleashed is only obtainable by dedicating a chunk of your infrastructure to it. And some of those bees? Fogetabboutit. Diamonds? Useful and kinda rare, but no longer the only metric for "how rich are you in minecraft."

So in conclusion - are diamond veins bigger as a result of some confit setting or mod? Maybe. Probably. I don't know. Am I glad if that's the case? Youbetcha. Scouring the landscape for caves to dig up exposed uranium is already a big enough pain. Doing the same for diamonds might be the fun/hard mode that some folks like, but for me...I'll stick with less grinding and more ...whatever it is I do when I play.