Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Aloc

Jul 29, 2019
10_29_2013_3_17_01_PM.jpg

Do I have to wrench every redstone pipe? Or does it realize automatically that, since those are engines, they can only output?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Really? It failed to work without wrenching for me in my 1.5.2 world, and I was running the latest TE version... o_O Weird.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I want to experiment with a pipeless/AE-less sorting/processing system in 1.5.2. That means Transposers, Enderchests and Golems (as far as I can tell). Nice little challenge that is heavy on resource cost. Why? Why not :p

Now, I'm not really sure how to manage overflow of items. All I could think off is since Transposers would be faster then golems, I could have golems that empty my input materials enderchest into a void chest, so the transposers are able to grab almost all of the resources before the golem. Not totally efficient but ensures that the enderchest will always have items flowing out of it.

Any other sorting/distribution methods I'm overlooking that could handle overflow?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I want to experiment with a pipeless/AE-less sorting/processing system in 1.5.2. That means Transposers, Enderchests and Golems (as far as I can tell). Nice little challenge that is heavy on resource cost. Why? Why not :p

Now, I'm not really sure how to manage overflow of items. All I could think off is since Transposers would be faster then golems, I could have golems that empty my input materials enderchest into a void chest, so the transposers are able to grab almost all of the resources before the golem. Not totally efficient but ensures that the enderchest will always have items flowing out of it.

Any other sorting/distribution methods I'm overlooking that could handle overflow?

If your resource income is bursty, consider plenty of hoppers and other buffer inventories. You just need the system to accept it all in a hurry, the processing/distributing/sorting can continue during income pauses.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
True. But since I'm not going to store finished products in DSUs, at some point the storage container will be full, so the production chain will eventually stop pulling items out the source ender chest/buffer chests. The golem approach seems to the best option to ensure enderchest will get emptied.
I will also be setting up all my farms to turn off if they no longer need to produce resources (simple gates to test inventory space on a buffer inventory against farm machines).

Aloc

Jul 29, 2019
I generally play SSP, that being said, I've heard many people saying that they have a server and play alone, is there any 'advantage' to having a server only for you versus simply playing in SSP?

Pandemoneus

Jul 29, 2019
I generally play SSP, that being said, I've heard many people saying that they have a server and play alone, is there any 'advantage' to having a server only for you versus simply playing in SSP?

The adventage would be the ability to have your chunks loaded via chunk loaders even when you are not online.

Reactions: Aloc

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Plus, better performance. I can't play 1.5.2 modded now single player.

Reactions: Aloc

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019

The server exposes some extra settings - you can for example create a world that has no nether, or you could limit the number of chunks loaded around you without touching your view range setting, or you could have a game without hostile mobs without having your health and food bars affected by Peaceful mode. And other stuff like that. Generally you don't need them, but in rare cases it can be useful. (Also handy if you ever have a mobsplosion that lags the world to death, you can despawn all mobs instantly by changing the config.)

If you have multiple computers but all of them struggle with Minecraft, then you can get performance improvements by having the server on one machine and the client on another. That splits the work that needs to be done.

You also gain access to the console and/or log window, where you can use commands even if your player character is not opped (useful if you're one of those people who can't keep themselves from cheating with NEI if opped).

Finally, it's easier to invite a friend over on a whim, even if you generally play alone ;)

EDIT: Ah yes, as Pandemoneus said, chunkloading works differently in SSP vs SMP.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
True. But since I'm not going to store finished products in DSUs, at some point the storage container will be full, so the production chain will eventually stop pulling items out the source ender chest/buffer chests. The golem approach seems to the best option to ensure enderchest will get emptied.
I will also be setting up all my farms to turn off if they no longer need to produce resources (simple gates to test inventory space on a buffer inventory against farm machines).
Uhm, carts are pretty useful at that, you might want to check out on that.