Launcher v2 Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
I presume he was referring to Mojang's Snapshots and before those, the prereleases. And of course Minecraft was "released" in an Alpha stage. I'm not agreeing with him though - even Mojang didn't release an alpha version of their launcher, it's just asking for trouble.

Yeah, the snapshots are betas of the next version. There were alphas before that, which probably only the people at Mojang were testing.

firez

Jul 29, 2019
In other news, it's my opinion that you should get a warning point for asking for ETA's.

I concur. If you want something in the mean time, go download all the mods for yourself. Its not that difficult. Pull up the modlist of your favorite pack and download all the mods that are 1.6.4 and play. You'll probably have to adjust a few item ID's but the game now tells you what the ID conficts are and most the time suggests a new range. I've been playing 1.6.2 mods for probably about a month now.

Granted I'll be much happier when an actual modpack is released so I don't have to worry about bugs and figuring out crashes but in the mean time, I'm playing and not bothering them here with "is it done yet?! Why can't I have a beta now!".

BaxtorUK

Jul 29, 2019
Coild somebody explain to me how the other launcher and mod pack can release weekly sometimes even daily updates without having to go through weeks and sometimes months of alpha and beta testing?
And also have a live ingame support system built in.
They have been on 1.64 for over a month now with seemingly no problems at all?
And they also do it for free as well.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
So go use their launcher if you can't wait for FtB...

I hope that's not too snarky but I'm getting tired of all the posts from people who haven't got a clue regarding:

1) Programming
2) Project Management
3) Dependence on other products to be completed before you can even start
4) Volunteers are people too, with real lives, who cannot be treated as Slave Labor just because you want to play a game now. They tend to "Unvolunteer" themselves after a while and then where are you?
5) The fallacious belief that "the Customer is Always Right", and deserves regular detailed reports on the progress of something they haven't paid for. You don't even get that on products costing thousands, unless the producer is using the info as advertising to pump up sales.

Instead of bringing up that "other guys have done the job, why can't you?" you should just go play those other guy's products, at least until FtB finishes.

Administrators: Give me infraction points if you must, but I felt I had to say this.

Reactions: Thuulstrea

BaxtorUK

Jul 29, 2019
Don't worry about bieng snarky, I can take it
I already do play the other pack and also my own pack I put together, and I will also play ftb if and when it comes out.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Coild somebody explain to me how the other launcher and mod pack can release weekly sometimes even daily updates without having to go through weeks and sometimes months of alpha and beta testing?

Without enough testing, updates have to happen frequently. If you don't test something enough before hand, then you need to update, sometimes every day, to fix or finish what was left broken/undone.

Reactions: Watchful11

BaxtorUK

Jul 29, 2019
Without enough testing, updates have to happen frequently. If you don't test something enough before hand, then you need to update, sometimes every day, to fix or finish what was left broken/undone.

This is true but the reason they update so much is not to fix stuff that is broken, it is done to add new mods and update existing mods as they are released such as thaumcraft 4 recently and mystcraft to 1.64.
In my opinion and it is only my opinion I think this a much better way to proceed than hold off months at a time waiting on this and that to be ready and fixed.

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
I'd rather have a fully working modpack that has been tested and took a while to come out than a modpack that has to be updated daily. People can't be bothered with having to update just like the people saying they can't be bothered to wait for a fully tested modpack. My 2 cents.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
This is true but the reason they update so much is not to fix stuff that is broken, it is done to add new mods and update existing mods as they are released such as thaumcraft 4 recently and mystcraft to 1.64.
In my opinion and it is only my opinion I think this a much better way to proceed than hold off months at a time waiting on this and that to be ready and fixed.

You must not run a server.

BaxtorUK

Jul 29, 2019

I think direwolf new exactly what he was doing when he said he was waiting for FTB, he put the ball firmly in there court and let everyone know exactly who was causing the hold up.
I can see no other reason for him making that video and statement

Matrix0150

Jul 29, 2019

How can you bash and praise the DireWolf20 in the same post? If DW20 want to make hasty update and not make sure everything is working great, do not take the blame on the FTB team, it is his pack. As far as I'm concerned I've learn about DW20 from FTB not the other way around.

If the FTB team want to take their time to make sure everything is done right and other launcher/pack want to be hasty, it's great. Now everybody have something to look for. If you're not happy about FTB, why not go to the others? Why take the blame on them, asking that they do hasty update like the others? Diversity is a good things, you have to stop wanting everyone to behave like you would like them to, others have different opinions and prefer it that way.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I would say the vast majority of your users do not run a server, and anyway updating is always optional, you do not have to update from 1.47 if you do not wish to, but the option is always there for those that do.

We've had 1.5.2 modpacks since like June.
We need to produce a product that everyone can use, not just the SSP users.
We are not producing a product that needs to be updated with additions or fixes every day.
No server owner is going to use FTB for their server if we produce a modpack that is broken and needs updating every day. That will kill any prospect for a server to be successful.

Reactions: UnionCraft

BaxtorUK

Jul 29, 2019
We've had 1.5.2 modpacks since like June.
We need to produce a product that everyone can use, not just the SSP users.
We are not producing a product that needs to be updated with additions or fixes every day.
No server owner is going to use FTB for their server if we produce a modpack that is broken and needs updating every day. That will kill any prospect for a server to be successful.

I understand that, but updating does not have to mean fixing, that is what you seem to be associating it with,
updating can mean adding new versions of mods that add new content, mods are continually adding new stuff and having to wait weeks and months to get to that can be very frustrating.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I understand that, but updating does not have to mean fixing, that is what you seem to be associating it with,
updating can mean adding new versions of mods that add new content, mods are continually adding new stuff and having to wait weeks and months to get to that can be very frustrating.

Fine, I'll say fixing and adding. Not sure if you're aware, but adding things usually breaks other things.
Known Facts:
Servers break when you add mods to existing worlds.
Asking users to use an "other than recommended version" of a modpack makes running the server difficult, due to confusion.
Asking users to use an "other than recommended version" of a modpack means tech support can't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.