Minecraft 1.7 pre release - Will be waiting a long time for mods

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

portablejim

Jul 29, 2019
The Minecraft 1.7 prerelease was released (https://mojang.com/2013/10/minecraft-1-7-the-update-that-changed-the-world/)

The bad news came when @SeargeDP and @minecraftcpw posted on twitter. Some tweets from @minecraftcpw
Summary: stick with 1.6.4, for the foreseeable future. 1.7 will come, but it's a LONG LONG road.
given the massive changes to MC 1.7, I suspect it'll take about a month to restabilise the Forge API.
I wouldn't expect a viable modded server until the new year.

Some links to tweets:
https://twitter.com/minecraftcpw/status/392690544662814721
https://twitter.com/minecraftcpw/status/392694786743734272
https://twitter.com/minecraftcpw/status/392690616838418432

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Well too bad that it's alot of work for them, but I'll have alot of fun with the 1.6 stuff anyways :)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
It looks like 1.6.2/1.6.4 will have the longest life yet of any modded MC release.[DOUBLEPOST=1382467445][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well... bleh.

*Goes back to Eclipse*

Heh. Eclipse takes may laptop almost as long to boot as Minecraft.

Ripley

Jul 29, 2019
*Grumbles*
Btw what happened to the minecraft api to make modding easier?
Did it hid in a corner and died?

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
*Grumbles*
Btw what happened to the minecraft api to make modding easier?
Did it hid in a corner and died?

Since I'm not a modder myself I might be wrong here but I guess the API will make it easier. Once you changed your code so that it works with the API

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Well- Heres my two cents

Given its been almost 2 years since Dinnerbone was hired to build the API- so far there's ... nothing.
Ok ok, 1.3 merged SSP and SMP- yet client and server side mods needed, and server lag+bugs brought into SSP. Promise of API not delivered. Very difficult update for modders.​
1.4- Promise of API- nothing API related actually added or mentioned​
1.5 New launcher- mod installation gets a lot harder. Everyone must jump through a lot of unnecessary complexity or use a 3rd party programme.​
1.6 Not much in the way of API progress here. Have to re-authenticate your account if you play via old launcher or 3rd party launcher (like FTB)
1.7 Not even a HINT of an API in the changelog. Almost every mod seems broken by this update.​
So there's nothing usable. No early alpha versions. No Real progress- just seems like a never ending cycle of hassle, false hope and rebuilding mods while everyone waits for the next version.

Which then begs the question- why update?

Why not wait however many versions until when/IF we ever get said API?

If we stick on 1.5 or 1.6
  • More mod dev time dedicated to building mod content
  • Stable/Unchanging code base- making more complex/in depth mods significantly more viable.
    • By extension I'd guess happier mod devs- I don't know anyone who enjoys porting forward.
  • No more waiting for version updates- just new content when it comes
    • By extension no more losing worlds/progress
  • You'll be able to play 'abandoned'/non-updating mods (Redpower, apparentlyThermal Expansion) with 'new' content.
    • Most likely more cross-compatibility- 'a' version of Xmod with 'b' version of Ymod (Eg you don't like GregTech's plates but love Thaumcraft 4.) {ok- hypothetical example but you get the idea.}
So I hear you ask - 'What about the new vanilla content/fixes?'
Why not pull that back onto 1.6?​
It sounds a lot easier than pushing everything forward onto 1.7.​
Also if the largest MC modded community collectively decides to stick with a version- it'll certainly make a point.​
You never know- DB might hear us and actually implement said API.​

Edit- so it seems we're looking at a total of more than 3 years of API conception and development. (5th July 2010), yet nothing solid. Thanks guys.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
So I hear you ask - 'What about the new vanilla content/fixes?'
Why not pull that back onto 1.6?​
It sounds a lot easier than pushing everything forward onto 1.7.​
That is is the only point i have to tell you that it won't be possible without 100s hours of work.
MC 1.7 code base has over 200k lines of code changes not counting the new biome-specific code. It is just not feasible for any modder/Forge to backport this stuff without breaking all the existing mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.