SONYCRAFT! wait... whut?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Will Minecraft on Sony consoles be as successful without mods?

• Total voters

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys! I've had a few nagging questions that have been making me wonder when it comes to the newest announcement of minecraft coming to ps4/vita (and possibly ps3? I dont remember tbh). I'm actually still playing Minecraft because of the modding community and I realized that for something to be successful it needs to stand on it's own but is this one case in which the modding community can help bolster the sales? allow for an extended life as it were.

I guess my question really is, do you all think those specific minecraft versions will be successful if even break the 1mil sales mark as vanilla? I know day one I'm getting it for the vita (as long as it still wows closer to release) or does it seem like this is a bad gamble by Mojang?

With the fact it's on a console that kills any hope of modding, so can it still stand alone?

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
You do realize that there's been a mod free version on the Xbox 360 for more than a year now which has been quite successful right? Minecraft on consoles isn't new, it's only new to Sony consoles, so no it can't really be considered a gamble. And there is a more than sufficient player base for the game that have never touched mods. Honestly, I would say most people don't buy the game cos of the modding community but rather for the actual game as it is, and tend to discover mods afterwards.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Why would it be a 'bad gamble'? Both the xbox and mobile versions are selling well.

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
I think the Benefits of making it available on consoles, Modded or Not is going to make MoJang some dollars. So why wouldn't they!
Not one I would buy for a Console though. Just Hanging out till the 19th NZ time. For the Game I always get on Sony PS.....

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
I know it's been out on 360 for over a year, so isn't everyone who's wanted it gotten it already? PC is far superior but if it's coming to consoles it will only get those who may not have had the hardware pc-wise that haven't already gotten it on 360..

It just seems like it may be a bad idea to not try and explore all options in allowing the free modding of the software but I know consoles don't allow that.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I know it's been out on 360 for over a year, so isn't everyone who's wanted it gotten it already? PC is far superior but if it's coming to consoles it will only get those who may not have had the hardware pc-wise that haven't already gotten it on 360..

It just seems like it may be a bad idea to not try and explore all options in allowing the free modding of the software but I know consoles don't allow that.

Some people actually prefer consoles (shock horror!). I'm trying very hard not to turn this into a "GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE"/"DIRTY CONSOLE PEASANT" argument, but basically, it's just heading off onto the only major platform it's not touched yet. It'll get picked up and played with enough to make it worthwhile for them. With the PS3/4 and vita thing, they might even be able to do a funky world-sharing thing.

Personally, I'm interested to see if they venture towards the WiiU. That opens a lot of options for interfaces and interaction that are not currently available, but I suspect that it wouldn't get the attention it deserves while the main effort is still focused on the PC.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
You should know that there are people out there that won't agree the PC version of MC is better. Some people swear by consoles when it comes to gaming, even if it's clearly inferior to PC gaming. What seems logical to you and me isn't always logical to the rest of the world.

As for people having bought MC by now (doesn't really matter if it's on the 360 or another platform), that's like saying everyone should have a smartphone by now. I dunno about you, but I still know people (young and old) that don't have a smartphone yet or have some old crappy thing that can barely make a call.

Also, I'm pretty sure the vanilla MC community is still way bigger than the modded community. Like many times bigger, not just a little. Just go look on Youtube, compare the number of subscribers of Etho's lab (who I consider to be a primarily vanilla player) and Direwolf20 (the big dog of the modding community) for example, Etho's number of subs is 4 times higher than DW20's. If that's any indication that would mean only ~25% of the total MC community is actually into modding. Which would mean ~75% of the MC players might be interested in a vanilla experience on the Sony consoles.
I know that's a lot of deriving and the numbers probably aren't accurate (for example, who says people watching those youtubers actually still play MC?), but thinking that vanilla MC has no audience anymore or modding is needed for MC to have success is very naive when you have no numbers or facts to back that up.

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
This wasn't about "PC master race" It's just facts. PC is open Consoles are closed. You can do more on a PC then consoles, I was using that because consoles are really restrictive of what you do. Hell due to some new EULA from sony (and from my understanding microsoft always had this) you don't even own your own console and those companies can take it back for any reason or even no reason. Legally you don't own what you bought. So if you really want me to go turn this into a "PC master race" by all means PM me and I'll continue to make you happy.

Now onwards. I do love my ps3 and vita. They're probably my most used tech currently. I really want it to do well but my main aim was to see if the community had thoughts on it if it's going to sell well.

My main concern is continued support. I am passionate about minecraft and so is my gal, both of us are easily distracted and mods have kept that, my thought is the console market is more based off of compulsion sales so while compulsion sales do contribute to actual sales it wont be as successful without a word of mouth factor. I also wonder how many resources are being diverted for said builds.

I also know I've focused on the negative here but what features would you feel could be right at home on a console like the vita/ps3/ps4 allow for cross play, the ability to share at the push of a button, what else could it add? specific touch based controls for the vita? different ways of designing? What would they offer over the PC? Would we beable to play with friends who own it on pc? all of these things have been stuck in my mind recently. I really would love minecraft on the vita. It's like all of my dumb prayers get answered but my real ones are kinda ignored lol.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
It's already proven to work on consoles. I don't see your point here. The 360 version isn't as good as the pc version, thats fine, but saying it will flop on that basis is pretty much unfounded and the only precursor we have proves the opposite.

Reactions: RedBoss and dgdas9

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
This wasn't about "PC master race" It's just facts. PC is open Consoles are closed. You can do more on a PC then consoles, I was using that because consoles are really restrictive of what you do. Hell due to some new EULA from sony (and from my understanding microsoft always had this) you don't even own your own console and those companies can take it back for any reason or even no reason. Legally you don't own what you bought. So if you really want me to go turn this into a "PC master race" by all means PM me and I'll continue to make you happy.

Now onwards. I do love my ps3 and vita. They're probably my most used tech currently. I really want it to do well but my main aim was to see if the community had thoughts on it if it's going to sell well.

My main concern is continued support. I am passionate about minecraft and so is my gal, both of us are easily distracted and mods have kept that, my thought is the console market is more based off of compulsion sales so while compulsion sales do contribute to actual sales it wont be as successful without a word of mouth factor. I also wonder how many resources are being diverted for said builds.

I also know I've focused on the negative here but what features would you feel could be right at home on a console like the vita/ps3/ps4 allow for cross play, the ability to share at the push of a button, what else could it add? specific touch based controls for the vita? different ways of designing? What would they offer over the PC? Would we beable to play with friends who own it on pc? all of these things have been stuck in my mind recently. I really would love minecraft on the vita. It's like all of my dumb prayers get answered but my real ones are kinda ignored lol.

Just getting the first part of your post out of the way first. Open-ness isn't always the best thing, primarily because people are not good at choosing/editing things. Consoles restrict the things that can be done as far as Mojang does (mods are not officially supported, and it's only through forge that stuff is as easy as it is). I'm not entirely sure where you got the EULA stuff from, but it's news to me, and sounds like something that they would have a hard time selling (changing a product to a service after sale).

That's just a difference of concept between PC and console, neither is the worse for it, but they are, fundamentally, different (with the x86 architecture, the next generation might invalidate that point).

On to the rest of it, I'm not entirely sure what the hardware features of the vita are (I've not owned a handheld console for a LONG time), so can't comment on any features that might come from those, but, as far as the full consoles go, there are a few possibilities, the big one of which is already known and tested with the Xbox version, which is the social aspect. When you have a pre-existing system for friends and servers, you don't need to worry about the whole server-list stuff that the PC version needs, it makes playing in a multiplayer setting much easier, although the servers tend to be the transitory ones, similar to the LAN games that the PC version sees, rather than the static worlds, which change the game when you have chunkloaders and similar.

To be honest, modded minecraft is a fundamentally different game to vanilla, with very different philosophies. It might be that, eventually, when the mod API actually surfaces, the mods might be cross-platform (currently surviving on hope, there, and ignoring the technical difficulties), but, even if they don't, the vanilla game is still great, and getting better, we just lost track of it a while ago.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019

You do realize that not everyone is a Xbox Fan Boi don't you and don't own one?

There's no way that everybody who ever will want it will already have it.
Also there will always be new players to the game so there will always be games sales, albeit less and less the longer the game is out.

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
You do realize that not everyone is a Xbox Fan Boi don't you and don't own one?

There's no way that everybody who ever will want it will already have it.
Also there will always be new players to the game so there will always be games sales, albeit less and less the longer the game is out.

I'm not implying everyone is. Was I? I was more or less saying anyone who's wanted it has either already bought it for pc/360 because they wanted it. Again different circumstances keep people from buying it but are there enough of those people to allow mojang to make a profit? Remember the costs of said projects are rather expensive and sony isn't a fan of taking losses.

I love how people instantly labeled me as a "PC elitist"... because I made one mention of pc being better then consoles. Also if you actually read not so far between the lines you can see I was not singling out any one group.

PLEASE DON'T POST FLAMEWAR STUFF!
I am going to have to get a mod to close this if we cant have a discussion.

BACK on topic,
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/716440/what-sonys-new-eula-means-to-gamers/
I couldn't find the specific link on Kotaku so g4 will have to do. Basically in the finest of details the EULA allows Sony to cover it's arse and forces you to ignores your rights as a consumer to use what you've payed for. Microsoft has a similar EULA and many companies started to jump on that bandwagon with theirs. If you find the full EULA and have a lawyer friend who will take a lookie he'd probably tell you they own the console and you just payed for the rights to use it and it's services. Ask Apple about their EULA, ask any big name company about it and you'd be surprised at how many things you've illegally sold because you dont own it.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Your "already bought it" argument doesn't hold water. Mainly because people keep buying minecraft and their sales continue to grow. People who already own minecraft also buy copies for friends, family, and even to have a better user name.

Xbox sales proved profitable, so PS sales should as well. Not everyone owns the same platform, nor wants to.

People playing modded MC are only a small minority of the MC user base. This group is further divided by those who DIY, those who use various modpacks.

Your whole user license statement just didn't make any sense so, yeah....

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Modded minecraft is a tiny, tiny, tiny subset of the minecraft playerbase. Minecraft succeeds on its own without mods.

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
Your "already bought it" argument doesn't hold water. Mainly because people keep buying minecraft and their sales continue to grow. People who already own minecraft also buy copies for friends, family, and even to have a better user name.

Xbox sales proved profitable, so PS sales should as well. Not everyone owns the same platform, nor wants to.

People playing modded MC are only a small minority of the MC user base. This group is further divided by those who DIY, those who use various modpacks.

Your whole user license statement just didn't make any sense so, yeah....

How did it not make any sense? Its fact. Fact is fact.

I'm skeptical it will do as well but I like being surprised. And what I was getting at was repeat sales, people who are hooked on a game will give the game to friends/family like you said but we also have to talk about the cost.

Most games for consoles are around 40-60 bucks when new, at 20 bucks for pc it's really hard to justify a sale of one platform over another. If it's able to be the same cost one has to wonder how they convinced Sony to do it. Now granted I've been wrong about price points before but It just feels like repeat sales (continued sales) would suffer a bit. Not to mention the framework its self as consoles are still last gen compared to comp specs and as of right now my pc is better then a ps4 in terms of stats and it's just barely running minecraft (granted modded minecraft but I still had framerate issues there and my vid card is a pretty nice one)

I do see it doing better then the xbox simply because the ps3/vita/ps4 have awesome processors which minecraft loves to abuse. Being the fact these are different frameworks (aka Java, Sony's Code, Microsoft's Code which admittedly is so similar to pc) I do hope it's not restricted as much as Java seems to love doing. I'd be happy if I could have a minecraft WITHOUT world holes. Make that happen and it'll sell well to even PC minecraft owners

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
You're being narrow in perspective about platforms. Many people just don't care about pc or console for games. Some people only game via console. Some parents only allow free game access to their children via consoles. Needless to say there are lots of resources poured into market research for games. They're not going to release minecraft for PS without already knowing its potential success. People are going to buy it. It will be profitable. It will have nothing to do with mods, user license, or whether the game is available on other platforms.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
sony isn't a fan of taking losses..
If it's able to be the same cost one has to wonder how they convinced Sony to do it.
Are Sony commiting money to this. I admit that I don't know Sony's business plan, but as far as I know they son't commit money to every single game that is released on the PS3 (although they do take a cut from the sales of games on their platform). So how would they take losses on a single game that they hadn't committed money towards (unless if they have invested in Mojang, news to me if so), and why would they need the convincing of any company who wanted to release a game on the PS'x'. Isn't the whole point for Sony to attract developers to make games for their console so that people don't buy an x,y or z box. -- P.S I have had formatting issues with this post, please pretend you are reading it in normal font and font size :)

Reactions: RedBoss

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not implying everyone is. Was I? I was more or less saying anyone who's wanted it has either already bought it for pc/360 because they wanted it. Again different circumstances keep people from buying it but are there enough of those people to allow mojang to make a profit? Remember the costs of said projects are rather expensive and sony isn't a fan of taking losses.

I know people who don't own a pc beyond a generic POS laptop that won't play MC. These same people also don't own an XBox but do have a PS3. They also have kids who are getting to the age that they will start playing games.
These Parents might now want to play MC but that has nothing to do with what their kids will be playing.

Assuming that every single person who would play MC already has it is just Ignorant.

Reactions: schyman and RedBoss