The rebirth of IC2 ?

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
yep. i like GT very much after i undo its stupid hard-mode recipies.
and can someone please link to where theyre getting all the news?
Super secret source of information.
You can even install the source, although I'm not sure if it's compiled.
There's work done around UU-Matter, it's now a FLUID and has that wierd pink-purple texture....
I don't know where that's leading to but my guess is that ( as they tend to add machines to do everything ) there will be another machine to do whatever UU has to do.
I think this a big change in IC2 since getting UU is pretty much the goal of the mod...

I forgot to mention a lot of work around fluids. This sounds neat.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
I was lurking around Jenkins, and this was what I found, to sum everything up:

• New machines
    • Ore cleaner
    • Replicator
  • Something with regards to patter storage ???
  • Updated cable code
  • Ability to refill uranium cells
  • Lead ore and ingot. Lead casings.
  • The nuke as a gui.
  • Someone yelling at Thunderdark to use the forge dictionary.
  • cesu, has something to do with the MFE and MFSU
None of this is confirmed.
oh no... ore cleaner is already a part of factorization, Y U NO INNOVATE IC2??? Go whine about it in your thread.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Cabling are rated as for now for
Tin Cabling 32 eu/t
Copper Cabling 128 eu/t
Gold Cabling 512 eu/t
High Voltage Cabling 2048 eu/t
Fiber Glass Cabling 8192 eu/t
this makes me think, that glass fiber may not be the only option past copper cable. however will there be a proper EU generation, to utilize at least gold?

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Also once the E net is fixed it'll for now have cabling loss based on % so like the old MJ energy loss system only with more options. So it'll make Superconductors the real deal since Fiber Glass won't be a poor's man "lossless" cabling.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Also once the E net is fixed it'll for now have cabling loss based on % so like the old MJ energy loss system only with more options. So it'll make Superconductors the real deal since Fiber Glass won't be a poor's man "lossless" cabling.
so it will be just as now, but with more price behind? how clever and valuable *sigh*

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
oh no... ore cleaner is already a part of factorization, Y U NO INNOVATE IC2??? Go whine about it in your thread.

Ore cleaner? This system is sounding increasingly more complicated for no reason whatsoever. Just like factorization's. If IC2 adds some specific reason that I should actually use it then that's great! I'll try it out. But until then I'm sticking with TE.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Ore cleaner? This system is sounding increasingly more complicated for no reason whatsoever. Just like factorization's. If IC2 adds some specific reason that I should actually use it then that's great! I'll try it out. But until then I'm sticking with TE.

Judging from the latest DW20 vid, the new ore processing machines seem a lot easier to use than Factorization's. Ore Cleaner can actually have water pumped into it instead of requiring Automated Bucket Brigade shenanigans just to work unattended. Thermal Centrifuge only has one input, so no stressing over slots like the Crystallizer, and appears to run significantly quicker. So far, it looks like the Macerator offers the flat x2 multiplier it always did, while the rest of the system adds secondary outputs like from the TE Pulverizer. May seem thematically similar to Factorization, but I definitely prefer this system to FZ's.

Whether it's enough to make me want to play the new IC2 is still up in the air, though.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
Why don't you guys set up an instance in the new minecraft launcher (which I hate and would give anything to have multimc 5 come out right now), and install ic2 experimental? I did myself, and there's some pretty cool new stuff. Thermal centrifuge and ore washers are part of ore processing, which I think is pretty cool. The GUIs for them look alright too.
But... Don't tell sirusking, but I CAN'T STAND his item textures. They're terrible. Ugly as heck.

I'm just going to sit back and see where this is going.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
If they implement GT ideas without insane difficulty ramps it wont be too bad, But they should add things to IC2 to make it fresher

Greg is very hands off with what the other ic2 devs are doing, mostly sticking to typo correction, API stuff, and making sure things work as intended in the recipes/dictionaries. As to what the IC2 devs are doing, it seems like harvesting as many good ideas as they can and stuffing them into the mod in ways that work better for the mod (ore doubling, factorization tripling, TE ore secondaries, TE cabling, liquid resources/crafting, etc).

What Greg's doing with his addon, on the other hand, is quite another large step toward a Gregtech world. Technology is more definitively split between ages. For example, one needs bronze steam-based machines to process sticky resin into rubber before one can move onto the electrical age (basic ic2 generators, copper cable, etc).

Greg is possibly one of the more readable mods, even if one doesn't like him or his attitude. There is a lot of chat back and forth between him and people who regularly visit his addon's thread about updates to his mod and ic2, which is where I've been getting a lot of information. I tend to just go to the last page and work backwards to see the latest: http://forum.industrial-craft.net/?page=Thread&threadID=7156

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
You need to quadruple your ores to have enough materials to build the new IC2 machines. Or at least that's what the purpose seems to be.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Really? Where on Earth did you get that from?
From being sarcastic. There really should be a font for sarcasm..

But seriously. All of those plates and wires will eat up your ores quickly. It's a way to justify the consumption by giving you a reward for playing the mod.
And yes, I have loaded it in 1.6.2. One thing IC2 does well, that no one really touches is cheap flight. But I got bored and un installed it.

WeylynSotW

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really like what I'm hearing about these new changes too much.

It seems like a bunch of extra crafting steps for very little actual new content. The ore processing machines might be nice, but I haven't been using IC2 for ore processing for a long time. The new cables being able to carry 8000EU+ current might be nice, but only if we ever actually get generators capable of producing more than the pittance they do now.

The geo nerf is also a bit off-putting not because it used to be the best option, but because it was and still is the only option. If you figure in a lava fabricator or magma crucible running on cobble, there is no generator out there that is not beat by taking whatever BC power source above stirling engines and converting it into lava for the geo gens. Mods that add to IC2 haven't done much to change this problem, with Biofuel being a great example, where you get 32k EU by burning it directly for EU but you get 240k MJ by putting it in a combustion engine. Even after the nerf, geo gens will still be the only real option, unless you're willing to go nuclear or shell out the steel for a railcraft steam turbine.

Right now I don't see myself getting rid of IC2, but to be honest the only real reason I'm keeping it is the electric upgrades for TiC tools.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really like what I'm hearing about these new changes too much.

It seems like a bunch of extra crafting steps for very little actual new content. The ore processing machines might be nice, but I haven't been using IC2 for ore processing for a long time. The new cables being able to carry 8000EU+ current might be nice, but only if we ever actually get generators capable of producing more than the pittance they do now.

The geo nerf is also a bit off-putting not because it used to be the best option, but because it was and still is the only option. If you figure in a lava fabricator or magma crucible running on cobble, there is no generator out there that is not beat by taking whatever BC power source above stirling engines and converting it into lava for the geo gens. Mods that add to IC2 haven't done much to change this problem, with Biofuel being a great example, where you get 32k EU by burning it directly for EU but you get 240k MJ by putting it in a combustion engine. Even after the nerf, geo gens will still be the only real option, unless you're willing to go nuclear or shell out the steel for a railcraft steam turbine.

Right now I don't see myself getting rid of IC2, but to be honest the only real reason I'm keeping it is the electric upgrades for TiC tools.
well, we still have advanced solars, compact solars and windmills mods. we just have to ask them to create EV and 8k versions. because i really dont think IC2 guys are clever enough to cover power generation part of the mod. they can ask greg for covering power consumption part...

i think we all should poke mdyo(was that right?) to add BC TE, UE(mekanism and basic components) and MPSA versions of electric upgrade.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Well, this isn't an appropriate thread to do sarcasm or anything like that.

And if ore tripling or quadrupling is something we'd see in the future of IC2 well that would be bad, as described in my thread.
if it was another forum you`d probably be right, but here is quite usual, and i think it`s appropriate attitude, when discussion goes about mod with MAJOR design flaws which none addon tried to fix.

such ore processing isnt necessary bad, if consumption with higher tier goes accordingly, but let`s wait and see.

Reactions: RedBoss

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
if it was another forum you`d probably be right, but here is quite usual, and i think it`s appropriate attitude, when discussion goes about mod with MAJOR design flaws which none addon tried to fix.

such ore processing isnt necessary bad, if consumption with higher tier goes accordingly, but let`s wait and see.

Major design flaws? What flaws? The only flaw I see is the energy net being just a bit unstable and inefficient in terms of computer resources.