The rebirth of IC2 ?

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
ic2 its getting more "stevecartstified" (or whatever the word should be) in he sense of "you need 4 of this to make 1 of that and 8 of that to make 2 of those and 3 of those that you combine with 3 of it and you get a simple module"

I have the materials to make a galgarodian (however you spell that) tree cutter but I just dont craft it for the giant PITA that it is to craft it

The ore refiner block he showed, the one that requires 2 mining lasers? WTH would you waste time with that? By the time you have the resources to blow on that machine, you could have a quarry running and not need excessive ore yields. This whole "rebirth" is just as you said with SC2. Even worse in most cases.

Reactions: Pokefenn

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Inb4 electric hammer.
i tried to google this, and this is what i found.
electric+hammer+002.jpg

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
ic2 its getting more "stevecartstified" (or whatever the word should be) in he sense of "you need 4 of this to make 1 of that and 8 of that to make 2 of those and 3 of those that you combine with 3 of it and you get a simple module"

I absolutely HATE that part of the mod. If it weren't for AE I would not have used it in my previous build. Currently, with the nerfs, I just moved on to the rediculous MFR farms.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Well electric wrenches (Sort of a drill i guess) are for haste as opposed to durability IRL. I think it's a toss up between having the wrench take ages to remove a machine or it just having a low durability. With hammers however there is no real world equivalent to an electric hammer which makes any sense so I would like the hammer to last longer.
What about the one that Edison invented?

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Currently, with the nerfs, I just moved on to the rediculous MFR farms.

QFT

Unless you're playing for role-playing, aesthetics, or to learn SC2, MFR and even Forestry blow away SC2 in terms of usability. The problem, IMHO, is not just SC2, but the fact that MFR is so easy and over-powered. An MFR Oak Tree farm with just the planter and harvester - fertilizer optional - is indeed ridiculous. It's pretty darn close to creative mode in terms of wood production for resources spent.

Personally, I try to avoid the easy mods whenever possible and go for the more long-term rewarding mods, but it takes willpower to avoid the DartCraft Force Engine + MFR Oak Tree Farm + Quarry + EE3 Ender Pearls route.

Reactions: xbony2

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
Just build your stuff out of wood, in a charged mystcraft age. You'll want all that extra wood :p

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Steves carts 2.
And on that note i should be playing Starcraft 2, bleh to lazy.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh. Derp. Was trying to think of what other mod has any sort of automated farm other than MFR, Forestry, and TC3.

Steve's Carts recipes are far more tedious and grindy than the worst things from the twisted depths of GregTech. I'd rather just farm by hand than try to put together anything with the word "Galgadorian" in it.

Reactions: RedBoss

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Ohhhhhhhhhhh. Derp. Was trying to think of what other mod has any sort of automated farm other than MFR, Forestry, and TC3. Steve's Carts recipes are far more tedious and grindy than the worst things from the primordial depths of GregTech. I'd rather just farm by hand than try to put together anything with the word "Galgadorian" in it.
SC2 is an extreme example of non-value added changes. The tree cutter from 1.4 was something that blew away everything else when it came to lumber & sapling production. Using any other mod was a waste.

This same exact tree cutter had its recipe changed to the galgadorian version, and some lesser cheaper tiers were added. The player gained nothing from this change other than death from ghasts while farming the cutter components. It really became not worth it to use the mod due to this, even when people had the resources to spend. There was no incentive gained, no game play mechanic to benefit the change. Sure it fell back from blowing away other tree farms, but it priced itself into obscurity. Raise your hand if you have a SC2 galgadorian tree cutter! 99% of hands remain on keyboards and mice.

I fear this is where IC2 is headed. What do you gain by creating a problem and then offering an expensive solution? The player gains absolutely nothing. Sure there's a machine to make plates and wires. Sure it replaces the wire cutter and hammer. But you invented this unnecessary step and the player gains nothing but tedium in the process. Now there's yet another pale magic block taking up space in a workshop. It's no innovative, it's not visually appealing, it's not efficient, and most importantly its not fun.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019

Good to know!

Anyone else feel like Dire was really annoyed at the recipe changes and just too polite to complain while watching the Forgecraft 2 vids? Seemed like EVERY time he had to hammer something, he'd make some comment like "The new IC2 recipes sure are... interesting." or "Well, we'll just have to see what they have planned..." :p

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
Good to know!

Anyone else feel like Dire was really annoyed at the recipe changes and just too polite to complain while watching the Forgecraft 2 vids? Seemed like EVERY time he had to hammer something, he'd make some comment like "The new IC2 recipes sure are... interesting." or "Well, we'll just have to see what they have planned..." :p
That's good guy Dire for you. In my opinion I sort of like the new recipes/machines. It's like I'm playing with the gregtech mod, without the craziness.

PureEvil

Jul 29, 2019
I don't feel like IC2 died at all. As for me, this mod gives me a lot of reasons to use... solar power, which is amazing. I don't have to set up separate MJ power plants to power my AE, MFR stuff...UU matter, which is the ultimate and powerful resource...GraviChestPlate, ChargePads, Fancy Reactor setups, ultra fast smelting thanks to induction and electric furnaces, Vajra...I could go on and one like that. For me, IC2 is the mother of other mods, considering the fact that it is one of the oldest tech mods available (and still developed).

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I don't feel like IC2 died at all. As for me, this mod gives me a lot of reasons to use... solar power, which is amazing. I don't have to set up separate MJ power plants to power my AE, MFR stuff...UU matter, which is the ultimate and powerful resource...GraviChestPlate, ChargePads, Fancy Reactor setups, ultra fast smelting thanks to induction and electric furnaces, Vajra...I could go on and one like that. For me, IC2 is the mother of other mods, considering the fact that it is one of the oldest tech mods available (and still developed).
you do realize that all of that stuff, except induction furnace, are not from IC2 itself? and solar... ugh...

Reactions: Pokefenn

PureEvil

Jul 29, 2019
Of course I do. And how about Buildcraft? I bet that without TE and RailCraft, there would be similar topic with BC instead of IC2...who uses conductive pipes, stirling engines, waterproof pipes and many other things when you have all that boilers, conduits, liquiducts, energy cells and tesseracts which are all better for most purposes

Reactions: SonOfABirch

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Of course I do. And how about Buildcraft? I bet that without TE and RailCraft, there would be similar topic with BC instead of IC2...who uses conductive pipes, stirling engines, waterproof pipes and many other things when you have all that boilers, conduits, liquiducts, energy cells and tesseracts which are all better for most purposes
the difference is that TE and RC, are standalone mods, when all stuff you`ve mentioned are addons. if we are to compare IC and it`s addons, and mods that utilize buildcraft power system it would be another thread, and i highly doubt in IC2 favor...