[Official] We Need Your Help - Launcher Ideas

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to see the explicit jvm arguments taken out, or at least a check box to disable them. I personally don't use the CMS garbage collection and use G1GC. Since CMS is set by the launcher and I can't disable it, I only use the launcher to download packs, then import them into multimc.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Launching FTB with that string forces a 64 bit launch, so it's something the launcher should be able to do.

More to the point, if it can do it automatically, we'll never have to deal with a person who's running it as 32 bit by mistake ever again, no matter how many types of java they have installed.

I agree. I disagree with giving people the instructions to do it themselves, because I'm all about self-preservation.
One person gets wind that I (with tech support tag) told someone to even try it, then the whole place goes up in arms if they do it wrong and screw up their computer. Since, ya know, no one pays any attention to disclaimers.

Reactions: Eyamaz

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Maybe one step further, if it's a 64 bit system (that IS detectable, right?) but without 64 bit installed, a pop up dirrecting you to go get 64 java? Or A link to it? Or packaged in, in such a way that it will self install?

Reactions: Ashzification

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to take the opposite view, the JVM arguments field is wonderful, a very useful troubleshooting device.

Lets hide it behind a debug click, and take the most common arguments, make them sliders or check boxes

Um, no. That will open up a whole lot of issues that we just don't need to deal with. Having people in tech attempt to help with jvm arguments is one thing. Giving the "average" user the ability to just check mark jvm args at whim opens up a lot of trouble.

It's actually fairly easy to add something like that to the launcher, but it shouldn't be. Same reason it's not in any other launcher. It's not for the "average" user. Your going to get some kid that continually causes their MC to crash and not terminate properly causing threads they can't close because they don't know how to use windows task manager, eventually filling up their ram to 100% continuous usage and causing it to burn out.

I know extreme example, but it could happen.

One thing you should always do is KISS (Keep It Stupid Simple) so as to prevent someone with no knowledge of something from mucking things up to bad.

A check mark to disable the JVM args the launcher explicitly sends so an "above average" user can specify exactly what they want is good enough.

DanNetwalker

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, from what I've seen, right now in the default launcher, if you want multiple profiles with different mods, you have to place the files in the libraries/mods/ folder with a certain structure and then add the mod in the json file for the profile. For example, adding timber mod needs to go to this folder, create a folder tree like "timber/timber/1.6.2" under that folder, then go to the profile json and add something like
Code:
{
        "name": "mods.timber:timber:1.6.2",
        "url": "http://127.0.0.1/"
},

Well, if the custom Feed the beast launcher works this way too, or something similar, this means all the mod files could be all inside libraries/mods/. This means, once you download a modpack, all it's mods are down there somewhere. So, could we get a feature to define client side modpack remixes, for personal use?

I'm thinking of a "create a custom version" button on the modpack selection. A custom profile would be created, then, the player could select from a list including all the mods from all the downloaded modpacks, so that s/he can mix and match from all the modspacks. Like "Magic Farm", but miss "soul shards" from Direwolf20 and Traincraft from New World? Get all modpacks, make a custom version of Magic Farm, add Soul Shard and Traincraft mods already on the resource folders. That would limit the problem to customize ids if they crash. Even more, the "add mod" button would then add the mod to the "common mod pool", so if I add, say, nbt editor because I'm an admin in some servers and I use that to create cool things, I can add it to all the modpacks where I can use it.

TLDR: infrastructure for client side modpack remixes. Put all the mods from all the modpacks into a "mod pool", allow players to create custom versions from a modpack; let the players get mods directly from this mod pool, so that players can mix mods from different ftb modpacks.

Stevenseegal

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to see a feature to launch 1 modpack with different options. For example: I play FTB Ultimate on 2 servers. For server 1 i have to launch it with MFFS and Gravi gun disabled and on server 2 i need to enable those and disable Portal gun and Gregtech.
It should be quitte handy to configure a sort of "profile" witch remembers the settings per server.

San

Jul 29, 2019
Hide mod pack
Remove mod pack
Warning about hiding modpacks that you have downloaded and not removed yet (So the file doesn't sit around on your disk forever)

Built in custom mod pack creation
Custom config files distributed properly to people that download your custom mod packs so that the players are all synced up to the server properly.

Weekly spotlight on new mods in a new tab

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to see a feature to launch 1 modpack with different options. For example: I play FTB Ultimate on 2 servers. For server 1 i have to launch it with MFFS and Gravi gun disabled and on server 2 i need to enable those and disable Portal gun and Gregtech.
It should be quitte handy to configure a sort of "profile" witch remembers the settings per server.

Just download a pack you don't use. Put all the files from the 2nd ultimate version in and use this pack to play on the 2nd server

Reactions: Ashzification

DanNetwalker

Jul 29, 2019
Just download a pack you don't use. Put all the files from the 2nd ultimate version in and use this pack to play on the 2nd server

That's a nice hack, but the great solution would be download the modpack you want to use in two different versions, make right click on the thing, "create custom version", give it a name, then disable or enable required mods. You would have, for example, "FTW New World" and "FTW New World no traincraft" for a second server...

oujae

Jul 29, 2019
I know it has been suggested already but custom modpacks. So you could just click a button in the launcher saying: "Add custom pack" and you could name it and then it would download vanilla minecraft with the version you wish to use and the instmods folder, Then you could add forge to instmods folder and download the mods you wish to use. And if your pack crashes due to ID conflict console would show the problem and you'll be able to solve it easily.

And filter system with checkboxes featuring every single option available in the new old one (plus some more suggested in this thread)
(sorry I don't have any images)

Reactions: Droideka30

Droideka30

Jul 29, 2019
When a modpack updates, the launcher should detect what mods you have added/enabled/disabled and keep them, instead of resetting the pack like it currently does.

Reactions: Damion

XxPULS3KILL3RxX

Jul 29, 2019
Im not sure if this is already suggested or its similiar to one of the objectives but what about adding a functionality or feature to create multiple folders for different versions of the same modpack for easier switch between versions :D

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
Im not sure if this is already suggested or its similiar to one of the objectives but what about adding a functionality or feature to create multiple folders for different versions of the same modpack for easier switch between versions :D
Read the first post, there's a list of suggested ideas.

Vaupell

Jul 29, 2019
A couple of things
In addition to the already great launcher, and possible new one.
  1. A option for a plain windows style instead of all the black or at least the option to make it so.
    (just right click on any icon in any OS, and select properties, that kind of style )
  2. Ability to entirely remove mods from the list, which i don't play and have no interest in.
  3. Profiles for each mod pack, because at the moment.
    I've installed a mod pack i don't play just to edit the mods to be similar to unleashed
    but with personal modifications, + i need the original one for different server play.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Feature Request:

Delta Updates.

I have seen that you plan on implementing a central mod file repository which all mod packs will then access rather than having each mod pack have all of the mods individually thrown in, causing horrible bloat. For which I thank you. However, you can take this one step further...

Basically, the Launcher only updates those mods which actually changed. Therefore, if you had a mod pack update that was basically two or three mods updating to fix a bug, it would only update those two or three mods. This would mean significantly reduced updating times, system resources required, far lower stress on your download servers, and in general, a far more optimized updating process.

This is something ATLauncher currently does, and it exceedingly simplifies the process of updating a pack.

unv_annihilator

Jul 29, 2019
Feature Request:

Delta Updates.

I have seen that you plan on implementing a central mod file repository which all mod packs will then access rather than having each mod pack have all of the mods individually thrown in, causing horrible bloat. For which I thank you. However, you can take this one step further...

Basically, the Launcher only updates those mods which actually changed. Therefore, if you had a mod pack update that was basically two or three mods updating to fix a bug, it would only update those two or three mods. This would mean significantly reduced updating times, system resources required, far lower stress on your download servers, and in general, a far more optimized updating process.

This is something ATLauncher currently does, and it exceedingly simplifies the process of updating a pack.

I suspect you're getting your information from that new article that was linked on twitter and on an announcement. If that is true then some of the information is incorrect on the article. I tried getting the errors fixed, but sadly it wasn't.

With all that said the current method is a mixture between local caching and delta updates. We only look to update the things that were updated, and we pull locally if it is available locally, if not then it will download it. This was my original idea and what I've been working on for a couple of weeks now.

xaden3

Jul 29, 2019
A way to have the process remain so that you can add the launcher to Steam and have it show up in the status on the friends list.

Combuster

Jul 29, 2019
As an addition to be able to tailor modpacks to specific server configurations, it would be an idea to be able to add third party modpack configurations in the launcher instead of having to go through all the steps to get private packs approved. I'd guess something like adding an URL to a config file hosted by the server owner so the launcher can check if it has changed since last time, and operators can just tell people to "use this config" to land them a pack tailored for their server.

Also, in my case, I run a server with my own mods in development, which means that depending on how much time I get to work on them, I occasionally get to distribute updates a few times per week. If I could run that through FTB's updating capabilities, I don't need to inform all the users each time to update their files.

luacs1998

Jul 29, 2019
I suspect you're getting your information from that new article that was linked on twitter and on an announcement. If that is true then some of the information is incorrect on the article. I tried getting the errors fixed, but sadly it wasn't.

With all that said the current method is a mixture between local caching and delta updates. We only look to update the things that were updated, and we pull locally if it is available locally, if not then it will download it. This was my original idea and what I've been working on for a couple of weeks now.

What Technic does is that each mod is saved as a standalone package on their servers. Each modpack is just simply a descriptor file telling their launcher which files to download (this means a launcher backend rework would be needed)
FTB could do the same thing as well, all the modpack people have to do is ensure the descriptor files are maintained well, and would also make it easier for private packs as well (just send the files that aren't included in the FTB repo, with full permissions for every mod in the pack, including those already in the FTB repo)