Dumb Modular Powersuit Tricks

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Andrew2448

Jul 29, 2019
Emergency power dump module: drains ALL your power at once, unleashing it to kill mobs and destroy blocks in as wide a ration as possible with that amount of power. Needs cool particle effects. Also would need the Konami Code to activate to prevent accidents.

Hah, I might actually do this if I can figure out how to make it require a sequence of keys rather than just a single.

Reactions: RedBoss

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
I think the difficulty would lie in making the sequence not clash with other keybinds while using it. Also, what would replace the select and start :p

Reactions: fergcraft

Archon

Jul 29, 2019
That's why I ask for ideas, I'm quite bad at coming up with my own. :p A lot of people have requested that lantern function but knowing MC's lighting system I expect it to be complex so I don't know...

I love MPS and MPSA.. and I love that you're asking for ideas. I'm an old school programmer and I know what it's like to be good at slinging code but not good at coming up with ideas. For me, the code was always the fun.. but having played w/ MPS and MPSA for as long as I have, I have a bunch of "man that would be cool" stuff.

1. Ablative armor (hit it and it takes damage and eventually falls apart)
  2. More "special effects" for attacks.. Use the same "base" "power", like "railgun", but have it so you can pick the special effect that is generated.. (not on the fly, but at the table) like "needlers", "flame thrower", "ice gas", "laser", "grenade launcher", "rocket launcher" (would overlap with ICBM, but ICBM integration would be a good thing IMHO)
    1. Integrate with ICBM -- allow their weapons to be mounted on the armor (e.g. Railgun, Rocket Laucher, Various Grenades, Missiles, etc.)
    2. Various Hand to Hand (HTH) special effects for the glove, like "Light Saber", "chain saw", "blades" (think Wolverine), brass knuckles,
  3. Integrate with MFFS and use their FF's with lots of flexibility.. even projectable force fields..
    1. Add on that works with MFFS security to allow you to pass through the FFs
    2. Tie into the MFFS Capacitor for charging and such
    3. Build in remote control for MFFS
  4. Logistics Goggles built into the Helmet
  5. Make it so when you enable things that thing shows on the armor, so the armors appearance changes based on loadout.
  6. Wheels in the feet to ride rails and/or tie into Railcraft.
  7. Strength Augmentation to alllow increased carrying capacity and a larger personal inventory? (like built in backpacks)
  8. More granular settings.. so you can dial up and down attacks, night vision, etc. in the field without a table. Something like "shift up/down dials the currently selected ability up/down".
  9. Power balancing pools, so you can't use everything all at once at full power.. a system where I don't run out of power but have a budget of power and can dial up the FF or other things but can't attack with as much power.. make it a trade-off.
  10. Build in Safari nets with no unlimited nets unless you use a "tier III" energy net, but if you use Tier I single-use or tier II "reusable" but requires you to pick up the poke-balls.. Some variation of that.
I'll put a few more in later.. but I hope that gets the juices flowing. Your question sure did for me. :)

.. a few mins later.. My brother chimed in a few more ideas with some more from me..

11. Built in Electric Furnace for small items?
12. XRay Vision for a few blocks.. selectable and range increases power cost.. (make it server disableable for cheat prevention at the server level) Picturing cobble/dirt going 80% transparent, for example.
13. Real VoIP Communications between power suit users with radios/CBs/Walkie Talkie objects.
14. Spray Paint to color objects
15. Tie in with MineChem and/or Biotech, picturing a built in microscope, etc.
16. Tie in with Galacticraft so no external rocket is required, build the rocket stuff into the suit
17. Tie in with Computer Craft, lots of ideas possible and it fits the theme real well. Imagine what you can do with turtle tie-ins.. and what about micro-turtles you can program and launch from the suit, possibly with flight of their own and other talents.
18. Variable Hud layout when you're wearing the helmet
19. Picture taking and video recording from the helmet
20. Change how the table works so you actually "build" things rather than just collect the parts and spawn them?

MachineMuse

Jul 29, 2019
My (very limited) spare time has been spent working on a different mod that will have a lot more 'low-tier' items. I'm still fixing bugs with MPS and the axe module is pretty obviously not working how I want it to, but meh. There are too many things like that and I've already got a much nicer framework set up for this new project. (MPS was originally written in Java, using kludges to get around some of the limitations of the language, until I was shown Scala, so there's a lot of backwards-compatibility crap going on there as well as messy workarounds that I can't be bothered to tidy up etc.) Also I haven't received ANY new submissions for powersuit models and artwork so I'm thinking maybe that's not going to happen after all, and I'm currently considering the model customization as a failed experiment.

Reactions: Pokefenn

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
My (very limited) spare time has been spent working on a different mod that will have a lot more 'low-tier' items. I'm still fixing bugs with MPS and the axe module is pretty obviously not working how I want it to, but meh. There are too many things like that and I've already got a much nicer framework set up for this new project. (MPS was originally written in Java, using kludges to get around some of the limitations of the language, until I was shown Scala, so there's a lot of backwards-compatibility crap going on there as well as messy workarounds that I can't be bothered to tidy up etc.) Also I haven't received ANY new submissions for powersuit models and artwork so I'm thinking maybe that's not going to happen after all, and I'm currently considering the model customization as a failed experiment.

Ooooooh. Do tell us more, please! :D

On scala: Just remember not to use for comprehensions in code that touches the rendering loop. And in general, prefer foreach with static or immutable functions. Object comprehensions are awesome things, but unfortunately Scala's implementation uses exceptions for control flow in many cases. This murders performance in ways that are difficult to capture without fullblown profiling.

And I still don't get how anyone puts up with Scala's SBT. I suspect by pretending it's not there.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Lets see, for completely (non)trivial add ons... how about a catch for potion effects that will remove the aura of swirly, and instead drop an icon onto the HUD. Perhaps turning red when it's "low".

Somehow I doubt you could add motion blur behind the character as you move, or a trail of smoke or other effects of that sort, but they would be cool.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
The Axe module works exactly as we want it. It is a choice between two things - how it is now, or having it work on EVERYTHING that an axe works on. This includes chests, and random things such as IC2 cables. We received a bunch of complaints about people busting their chests or wires unintentionally so the change was made to only affect trees. It is the safer path.

On that note: I managed to oneshot my golems a few times with the railgun module. Why does it have to be activated by right-clicking?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
An idea for the MPSA. An AE network tap. Install to the power tool, right click on an AE cable and have access to the AE network. Useful when you're building and find you're out of range of a Wireless Access Point, or if you've not built one yet, and are doing infrastructure work.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
An idea for the MPSA. An AE network tap. Install to the power tool, right click on an AE cable and have access to the AE network. Useful when you're building and find you're out of range of a Wireless Access Point, or if you've not built one yet, and are doing infrastructure work.
Building a wireless access terminal right into the tool would probably be easier to code, but a portable wired terminal would have its uses.

that5 what5 up

Jul 29, 2019
Hey these addons look amazing, but it seems theyre unimplemented in the FTB direwolf 1.5.2 beta right now... I am guessing that just downloading and adding the MPSA to the mod folder wont work right...?

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Hey these addons look amazing, but it seems theyre unimplemented in the FTB direwolf 1.5.2 beta right now... I am guessing that just downloading and adding the MPSA to the mod folder wont work right...?

Try doing exactly that. I don't see anything that could possibly go wrong.

And no, that's not sarcasm.

that5 what5 up

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, ill give that a shot. Did notice MPSA adding a few items though, sometimes you just have to cross your fingers...

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, ill give that a shot. Did notice MPSA adding a few items though, sometimes you just have to cross your fingers...
It only ads three items. The magnet, the solar panel, and the circuit board. So don't worry too much about conflicts.
I can pull that from mem