Greg Tech opinion discussions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a place where I can see facts from both sides? I read mDiyo's post on the first page but the rest of the thread is complaining and namecalling from people who aren't involved (as much as I read). I just want the facts and to know if this is still going on or has been resolved.

If it has been resolved, I also suggest closing this thread and putting the issue to bed. I really don't care what mod authors decide to do for recipes or gameplay, I just want the game to work.

This thread really isn't about one issue, it was created so we all had a central place to complain about gregtech so the moderators didn't have to babysit multiple threads, so it would be a bad idea to lock it.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
If we're trying to figure out "who shot first," I think this analogy may be useful:
Greg tosses a stone at mDiyo. mDiyo picks it up, chucking it back at Greg. Then Greg pulls out his shotgun and fires. Afterwards, Greg takes his finger off the trigger and claims to have destroyed the gun.
Also, there was a crowd of toddler orphan puppies between the two who were caught in the crossfire from the shotgun.

Sirithil

Jul 29, 2019
I will say, though, if the maker of GregTech were to state, flat-out, that he would never again deliberately introduce a crash to the game, I would definitely give him a second chance. As it is, I cannot trust what he make.
Damn right you can't, and you couldn't trust such a promise, either. This isn't the first time he's been caught doing this, and that code is still in his mod.

Droideka30

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a place where I can see facts from both sides? I read mDiyo's post on the first page but the rest of the thread is complaining and namecalling from people who aren't involved (as much as I read). I just want the facts and to know if this is still going on or has been resolved.

If it has been resolved, I also suggest closing this thread and putting the issue to bed. I really don't care what mod authors decide to do for recipes or gameplay, I just want the game to work.
Closing this thread would not be a good idea. It's currently doing a wonderful job of isolating all the people complaining about Gregtech (myself included, I won't be a hypocrite) instead of having a new GT complaint thread popping up and being locked every 20 minutes.

Reactions: tehBlobLord

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019

The issue has been resolved, but there is still some debating as to who was at fault. Unfortunately this thread can't be closed. Because of the nature of GregTech there will always be someone bitching about it. Hopefully there won't be something of this scale in the future.

And your sole purpose here is to troll.

And this is one example of the people that can't let it go. I personally have spoken my piece and will be leaving this thread right now. If anybody wants to yell at me, quote one of my posts.

Reactions: jokermatt999

Droideka30

Jul 29, 2019
The issue has been resolved, but there is still some debating as to who was at fault. Unfortunately this thread can't be closed. Because of the nature of GregTech there will always be someone bitching about it. Hopefully there won't be something of this scale in the future.

And this is one example of the people that can't let it go. I personally have spoken my piece and will be leaving this thread right now. If anybody wants to yell at me, quote one of my posts.
Has it been resolved fully? I wasn't aware of that. So, will future versions of Ultimate include GT or not?

Fuzzzie

Jul 29, 2019
Has it been resolved fully? I wasn't aware of that. So, will future versions of Ultimate include GT or not?

That's my point. A lot of people complaining and trolling but few real facts. I guess I'll wait for something official. Not really interested in everyone's 2 cents, no offense.

Hotel_California

Jul 29, 2019
<rant>
Does anyone remember that GregTech started as an addon for IC2?
and now it's trying to essentially become its own game.
At this point it's like he's trying to take over, and wants players not to play the game how they want, but to play it the way he wants, which ruins the whole point of modding Minecraft, IMO.

Has Greg even said anything publicly about any of these issues?
Feed the Beast and other modpacks that have IC2 are fun, but it's currently to easy to reach endgame with IC2 alone. It is for this reason that people like GT!
However, if GT continues to do things like this: nerfing vanilla recipes, refusing to interact with other mods, etc., people aren't going to play it!
Greg! Remember your original mod as an addon to IC2! Not an overhaul of the original game! You don't get to monopolize the modding scene!
</rant>
Point is, if Greg doesn't fix his... attitude towards other mods and mod interaction, he won't get any more support.

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
Man I go to watch Stargate and suddenly discourse drops another level and I didn't even get another angry 'greg can't even game design let alone java' post in. tragedy of the highest level, for certain levels of tragedy. It's not even implementing ITriggerCrying. I mean really.

Anyhow mDiyo pulled a Greg and I may even actually have to use an ignore list despite how I feel the concept can damage conversation. This is, and will forever be, Greg's fault.

And I never even got to make my 'Greg is Simon from the Yogscast' jokes :(

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Man I go to watch Stargate and suddenly discourse drops another level and I didn't even get another angry 'greg can't even game design let alone java' post in. tragedy of the highest level, for certain levels of tragedy. It's not even implementing ITriggerCrying. I mean really.

Anyhow mDiyo pulled a Greg and I may even actually have to use an ignore list despite how I feel the concept can damage conversation. This is, and will forever be, Greg's fault.

And I never even got to make my 'Greg is Simon from the Yogscast' jokes :(
yep so true I find keeping the finger off the trigger until some one keeps repeating the same text over & over kind of works, then after the debate has passed clear ignore list rinse & repeat on next topic, but that just me, I kind of like to hear both sides.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The problem I have with this isn't whom is at fault.The problem I have with this is that Greg decided to vent his spleen at the users. And then congratulates himself for it.

He has a problem with another mod author. And yet it is the users who suffer for it. And he congratulates himself for what he considers to be an appropriate resolution to the matter, which means he is going to be inclined to do it again because 'it worked'.

This is what I have a problem with. This is why I am taking the steps I have stated. I cannot trust the mod author to not pull something like this again. Indeed, the mod author, emboldened by his 'success' (inasmuch as mDiyo pulled the offending code which pissed him off), is going to be more likely to do this again.To permit his mod into any mod pack I compile would be to subject my users to that risk, which would be negligent on my part.

Uriah_Heep

Jul 11, 2013
I am personally happy to see that the future of the modpacks are planned in WGT and NGT versions. I run a server based on the Mindcrack pack and have actually been a big fan of many of the GT machines, I set up a charge-o-mat system for players and distribute an ender pouch that pushes into and out of the charger to new players. However with this situation I plan to ensure GT is not part of the build when the server moves to 1.6. Just can't trust the mod author to not significantly break something for all of the players down the road. I just hope that there will be NGT versions of all of the packs as they are updated to 1.52 and 1.6x.

Reactions: Blu_Haze

Droideka30

Jul 29, 2019
Before I leave this thread, I have one last question: Does the latest version of Gregtech include malicious game-crashing code, active or otherwise?

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
I've had a night to sleep on it, and I'm pulling support for GregTech from all my work permanently. I doubt I'll reconsider this in the future either. The sheer unprofessional conduct from Greg is especially bad because I understand he's a game dev student. The second a professional game studio finds out he's that Greg in interviews he'll be unemployable because they'll spread the word around. He fucked up bad and he's going to pay for it one way or the other; I've already heard of two GregTech replacement mods being planned since last night.

This state of affairs is a bit of a pain in the ass when your main contribution to the forums is an Easy GregTech + Extras config pack, but I'll cope somehow. ;)

Artheos

Jul 29, 2019
But they are allowing this, isn't it?

This is because this is not a enterprise solution you paid for. This is developed by people, not faceless corporations, and you, as end-user, will sometimes catch errors based not on managment errors or production failures, but on human flaws. Am I incorrect about this?

You are not correct on this. This was not an error, or a accidental mistake. The was deliberate. Premeditation is the issue here. It was a thoughtful and willful act.

Reactions: Flipz

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Before I leave this thread, I have one last question: Does the latest version of Gregtech include malicious game-crashing code, active or otherwise?

From my understanding, it does. However the code is not active.

I've had a night to sleep on it, and I'm pulling support for GregTech from all my work permanently. I doubt I'll reconsider this in the future either. The sheer unprofessional conduct from Greg is especially bad because I understand he's a game dev student. The second a professional game studio finds out he's that Greg in interviews he'll be unemployable because they'll spread the word around. He fucked up bad and he's going to pay for it one way or the other; I've already heard of two GregTech replacement mods being planned since last night.

This state of affairs is a bit of a pain in the ass when your main contribution to the forums is an Easy GregTech + Extras config pack, but I'll cope somehow. ;)

Really? Would you mind directing me to those replacement mods? Or do they not have pages yet?

Reactions: Jakeb
Status
Not open for further replies.