Bee Automation

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
There is an MCF thread that shows you what to combine together.

** EDIT ** Does anyone know where a script for selecting particular traits using CCTurtles could be found?

I know there's topics and websites to show the breeding of bees, but I was aiming at having it in NEI so you don't have to look outside the game...
I wonder how many people have started using computercraft for breeding bees after DW20's SMP episodes...

I think it's cool, but does it do a better job then just normal pipes? or do people just want to make cool builds using turtles ;)
also, who else thinks it'd be cool if you could configure the apiarists chest to have a function similar to factorization barrels?
a function where only one type of bee can be in the chest, so you can just place some chests next to eachother and hook them up with normal pipes...

A27Cappy

Jul 29, 2019
I know there's topics and websites to show the breeding of bees, but I was aiming at having it in NEI so you don't have to look outside the game...
I wonder how many people have started using computercraft for breeding bees after DW20's SMP episodes...

I think it's cool, but does it do a better job then just normal pipes? or do people just want to make cool builds using turtles ;)
also, who else thinks it'd be cool if you could configure the apiarists chest to have a function similar to factorization barrels?
a function where only one type of bee can be in the chest, so you can just place some chests next to eachother and hook them up with normal pipes...

You can use Apiarist's pipes for sorting bees like that, I do.

GhTNM.png

Each section has pipeline running from the bottom to the top has three/six different kinds of bees sent from a main line, princesses and queens go into the Royal Jelly chest on the right, then purebreds go into the chests above, and hybrids are dumped into excess chests off screen.

**Edit** If I could suggest one addition to the apiarist's pipe it would have to be selection of more "minor" traits like Long Life and Fast Worker since they in my opinion are more important than Cave Dwelling etc.
You could make it as an additional recipe requiring Diamond Gates or something.

Just food for thought.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I know you can use apiarists pipes for that, heck, you may even be able to use a diamond pipe for it, but I was aiming at early game when you don't have any of that and need a cheap way of sorting...

Sengir

Jul 29, 2019
"Long life", "Fast worker" can't be added to the apiarist's pipe since they are not "yes/no"-traits.

A27Cappy

Jul 29, 2019
I know you can use apiarists pipes for that, heck, you may even be able to use a diamond pipe for it, but I was aiming at early game when you don't have any of that and need a cheap way of sorting...

You could, but I think it would be a waste needing a new barrel for every minute change in characteristics.

"Long life", "Fast worker" can't be added to the apiarist's pipe since they are not "yes/no"-traits.

Thanks for responding, was just some wishful thinking on my part I guess. I don't really see a big difference in a "is yes/no" argument and a "is fast" or "is long" argument but, I do suppose there are all those other speeds and lengths that could complicate the process. Is all those other speeds/lengths why its not doable?

Chrissyhailfire

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for responding, was just some wishful thinking on my part I guess. I don't really see a big difference in a "is yes/no" argument and a "is fast" or "is long" argument but, I do suppose there are all those other speeds and lengths that could complicate the process. Is all those other speeds/lengths why its not doable?
if i had to guive a guess that would be the reason why. the range from what i've seen has gone to shortest, shorter, short, normal, long longest for just the life, and most likely the same concept for the speed too. one thing that i've been trying to figure out with the bees though is would a short life but fast worker bee breed be better than a long life slower worker? what causes the combs to be produced?

i also wanna thank you guys for the info you've provided on the thread too. did not know that you can use the pipes like that and have already started to plan on how to make my system compact.

cypherwulfe

Jul 29, 2019
First time posting on these forums, but I saw this discussion, and wanted to seek some assistance.

Someone made a fully automated turtle system, that will upbreed for you.

My knowledge of LUA programming is not sufficient to upgrade the code and make it work. I have been playing with it for 3 days now, and I have to admit I am just not smart enough to figure it out without spending a few weeks learning the language.

Perhaps some here is smarter than I and can figure it out.

Hope someone can help, because I would really like to use this system.

DR3ADLORD

Jul 29, 2019
In general you can't really get much automation early game (early is based solely on perspective. I require a stable energy source and full machines before I consider my self around mid-game) and mid game is when you start setting up your automation. So based on that I would suggest if you are using a large amount of apiaries (20+) I would say use routers because while routers may have little use in sorting (because of the difficult to find Logic Matrix Programmer) they excel at working through multiples of the same machine type and they are extremely quick with no delay through pipes. I have a slightly expensive setup (because of the routers, and there's 3) but it allows any amount of apiaries or alvearies if thats what you are using as long as they are touching. If you wish to use frames as well there must be a 4th router which is sad to say.

Anyways I hope you like this automation with the underused Routers!

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
This is my current test setup. I just started trying to figure out a way to automate. This setup only breeds one species and processes the combs from it.

This is my breeding setup. There is an Autarchic gate on a wooden pipe on the side of the apiary set to pulse if there are items in the inventory. That sends everything into the apiarists pipe. combs are sent ahead to a pipes leading to a chest. Princesses are sent up and back into the top of the apiary. Drones are sent down into a apiarists chest. The chest has an Autarchic Iron AND Gate set to Red pipe signal pulse and Pipe Empty pulse. The pipe leading into the apiary has an Iron AND Gate set to Missing Drone Red Pipe signal and empty Pipe Red Pipe Signal. That part was the hardest for me to figure out. I still get multiple drones sent in sometimes but I believe that only happens when they are stacked.

2013-01-11_115315_zps3c0fc974.png

This is just a filter pulling combs out of the chest into a Centrifuge with a filter pulling the Drops and Bees Wax out and dumping them into Barrels.

2013-01-11_115707_zps36429f3c.png

I haven't gotten into breeding anything past cultivated yet. I wanted to figure out this part of the process before I tackled any more.

cypherwulfe

Jul 29, 2019
If you are using any of the packs that have Thaumcraft, you could pull all the bees out, use a pipe to put the Princess back in when she gets removed, and a Clay golem to keep it stockedwith exactly 1 drone

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
Extra bees had almost exactly this functionality (it isn't in this shape at the moment). It basically show that there is mutation of bee with undiscovered species, or discovered species from give branch. For example first diligent bee would have information that it mutates with bee from common branch (cultivated to unweary) and second one with undiscovered branch (unweary to industrious). This was a thing which really got me into bees, it wasn't feeling as cheaty as guides, but provided fun game mechanics. Extra bees supposedly have the mutations fixed. I started 1.4.5 world recently, so we'll see (self mod installation with ftb configs).

In the newest version (which isn't in any of the packs yet, I believe) this was removed. Binnie's website specifically notes that the information showing was a bug - he had to rewrite the database to hide that information.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
I was talking about 1.2.5 version, current version is after major rewrite which I don't think is fully working yet (I may be mistaken, I haven't updated extra bees in very long time, about 2 weeks ;)). In that version it showed grayed out bee with tooltip in style "discovered bee from common branch" or "undiscovered bee from common branch" etc. when mutation wasn't discovered yet.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, that would have been really helpful. Thanks for the tip - I guess I'll just have to keep waiting.

FYI, the current version just shows whether they're discovered or not - no information about which branches you should mix.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
I believe that, at one point, Routers could do this- and then Sengir removed that option.
Basically, you can't automate frames in apiaries, and this appears to be Sengir's intent.

Minosha

Jul 29, 2019
Okay - that is what it seemed like from all my attempts. I kind of like that you can't pipe them in and don't mind. Just if you could, I wanted to include it in my automation. Thanks to some posts here, I have a 3 banks of 5 apiaries automated.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I believe that, at one point, Routers could do this- and then Sengir removed that option.
Basically, you can't automate frames in apiaries, and this appears to be Sengir's intent.

^this, Sengir doesn't want the frames to be automated at all.