Solid Boilers after 1.5.1. Wood source?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
I tried something really fun - combining MFR with XYcraft - especially soil blocks from xycraft.
I made 5x5 tree farm on 8 blocks of SOIL on each spot (a lot of crafting), upgrades for planter & harvester - 4 blocks.
Trees grow like crazy and i don't know what to do with the wood i get. I also have Steve's Cart 2 farm.

Big minus from MFR tree farm is it produces small amount of saplings - about 6:1, 7:1 (logs:saplings) - which i need to make biofuel for liquid boiler.
I use oak saplings - maybe i should change them for different one ?

Does SC2 makes more saplings than MFR tree farm ? I mean in versions of mods for 1.4.7 ?

And for 1.5.2 SC2 galgadorian wood cutter (1.4.7 normal cutter) makes the same amount of saplings or more ?

The thing about MFR farms is that they tend to grow trees overlapping each other, so you get less saplings. Try only having a single stack of xychorium soil over the planter. Or put cobble in between to space out the trees a bit.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
I tried something really fun - combining MFR with XYcraft - especially soil blocks from xycraft.
I made 5x5 tree farm on 8 blocks of SOIL on each spot (a lot of crafting), upgrades for planter & harvester - 4 blocks.
Trees grow like crazy and i don't know what to do with the wood i get. I also have Steve's Cart 2 farm.

Big minus from MFR tree farm is it produces small amount of saplings - about 6:1, 7:1 (logs:saplings) - which i need to make biofuel for liquid boiler.
I use oak saplings - maybe i should change them for different one ?

Does SC2 makes more saplings than MFR tree farm ? I mean in versions of mods for 1.4.7 ?

And for 1.5.2 SC2 galgadorian wood cutter (1.4.7 normal cutter) makes the same amount of saplings or more ?

Oh cool, I only tried wheat in a mfr/xycraft soil setup and it didn't plant new seeds, nice that it works for trees.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Strange, I've checked the SC wiki, and like the change to the drops for the basic wood cutter, just not the durability. My previous game world I was recycling saplings and wood.
I've personally never seen a need for more then one boiler or for large amount of MJ production. There's not a lot of use for all that power for a single person.
Generally this won't affect the average player too much, only those people that do mega builds. I could always have 2 carts running instead of the one I was using before if I needed to.

The durability is a bit of an annoyance. No longer makes the system a build and forget system.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Strange, I've checked the SC wiki, and like the change to the drops for the basic wood cutter, just not the durability. My previous game world I was recycling saplings and wood.
I've personally never seen a need for more then one boiler or for large amount of MJ production. There's not a lot of use for all that power for a single person.
Generally this won't affect the average player too much, only those people that do mega builds. I could always have 2 carts running instead of the one I was using before if I needed to.

The durability is a bit of an annoyance. No longer makes the system a build and forget system.

The galgadorian version is trivial to make and can still be made it just a couple hours of playtime if someone really wanted to.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
PS : do you really need to replace "body" by "pony" everytime you say something ?

After decades of dealing with goths that use word replacements like thyme instead of time. Some using Pony instead of Body or Paw/Hoof intead of Palm/hand in there dialog just does not phase me. If I can deal with people not spelling out full works and using stuff like U instead of you or B4 instead of before I think a little pony talk is not really an issue.

Pointing out someones esoteric mannerisms on the internet just underlines your own issues with accepting others. More so when it has little to do with the subject at hand and if you some how find it offsive could have also be done via a private message.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
After decades of dealing with goths that use word replacements like thyme instead of time. Some using Pony instead of Body or Paw/Hoof intead of Palm/hand in there dialog just does not phase me. If I can deal with people not spelling out full works and using stuff like U instead of you or B4 instead of before I think a little pony talk is not really an issue.

Pointing out someones esoteric mannerisms on the internet just underlines your own issues with accepting others. More so when it has little to do with the subject at hand and if you some how find it offsive could have also be done via a private message.

WHY ARE YOU A SHEEP

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I'm acutal a huge fan of the MFR farm system. Since it can use IC2 fert if need be you can make it with bone meal and as long as you always have 1 you can keep making more with bone meal from a skeleton spawner.[DOUBLEPOST=1367179084][/DOUBLEPOST]
Has he ever been recorded to do a shoop da whoop?

I was photoshoped to do a Shoop da Whoop once.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Quick note: Fertilizer-based farm can be accelerated by adding extra harvesters and without building a second farm
2013-04-29_00.06.15.png

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I have to admit that I don't think a fertilizer would be very good on a redwood farm. Or at least, not on a large one.

I think that's much more efficient on smaller trees.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but redwood won't fit the 28-high box of a pocket dimension, so, I'll use small trees and fertilizer. Or I can set up an overworld farm ^_^'

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, no. I think your set up is best for fertilizers. I'm saying that using a fertilizer with redwoods would probably actually reduce output, since my harvesters are already working fulltime.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I understand you. I just already thought of using redwood for my treefarms, but I tried fertilizer, and It worked good. And after that I discovered Dimensional Doors and decided to make interdimensional base, and that little treefarm setup fits it very well!

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I just need a high volume of saplings to fuel my boilers, which is why I use redwoods. Were that not an issue, I likely wouldn't bother. I think that's a pretty decent set up.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah the extra harvester works well with a tree farm. not so much the normal farms. But trees take a while to cut down.

I also agree that all the 2x2 trees are a waste in an MFR farm any of the normal ones will go much quicker.

For max speed I do 1 fertilizer and 3 haveresters one machine on each side centered seems to do wonders.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think 2x2's are a waste. They may take longer to cut down, but that's because they go almost 60 blocks into the air. Block for block, you get way more materials out of the redwoods.

If you're just after wood, then yeah, they're probably a waste. Otherwise, they're fine.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
That's the exact setup I posted there ^_~

Yeah thats why I was commenting it seems to be the best. I tried doing all on one side but it seem there might be some odd sync issue with that. Just seems slower then if you put them around the farm.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah thats why I was commenting it seems to be the best. I tried doing all on one side but it seem there might be some odd sync issue with that. Just seems slower then if you put them around the farm.
putting them on one side won't work. The harvester affects a 3x3 area directly infront, so if you have them lined up, the ones that are off-center will not hit the entire farm.